Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 SW Books Due Before 'The Force Awakens'

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/10/20-star-wars-tie-in-books-to-be-released-before-the-force-awakens

A lot can happen in 32 years of space-time. In the Star Wars universe, we’re about to find out just how much.

At least 20 new books—from novels for adults and teens to storybooks and stickerbooks for younger kids—will be released in the next few months to fill the gap between 1983’s Return of the Jedi and this December’s 'The Force Awakens'.

Those hoping to find out what Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo have been up to for the past three decades will find it first on the page, with Disney Worldwide Publishing and Lucasfilm Press confirming that the titles will be filled with Easter eggs foreshadowing events in J.J. Abrams’ Dec. 18 movie.

This new initiative comes after Lucasfilm announced last April that existing novels, short stories, comics, and video games that explored the so-called “Expanded Universe” of Star Wars were being discarded from the official storyline. That freed the new movies from having to follow any previous story points, such as Luke’s relationship with the previously villainous (turned good) Jedi Mara Jade, or Han and Leia’s marriage and twins.

Fans who’d been exploring these corners of the galaxy for ages knew a reboot was coming. As Yoda once said: “You must unlearn what you have learned.” These new books, however, like the Rebels animated series on Disney XD, will be considered official canon.

This new series, which spans multiple publishers, will be known as Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Pulling it off required one clandestine society of authors to form a bond with another hush-hush society of screenwriters.

“The Force Awakens is an extraordinarily, heavily guarded storyline. To track it, a lot of top-secret meetings were happening up in San Francisco as we worked through this program,” says Andrew Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide. The company is managing the release through its own imprints as well as at least seven outside companies, among them sci-fi publisher Del Rey, DK, and Marvel Comics.

Novelists and editors had a constant back-and-forth exchange of ideas with the Lucasfilm story braintrust, comprised of the screenwriters and filmmakers crafting both the new trilogy and stand-alone movies.

“The partnership with the story group and the editorial team always had to be true to the sanctity of the film while making sure that we find these moments to introduce hints, clues, and puzzle pieces,” Sugerman says. “Without revealing what those pieces are, it will just allow readers to speculate about the new film: What could a location mean, or what could a character mean?”

Many of the books are still being written and edited, so details (including who is writing them) are still under wraps.

A few titles we can confirm are Del Rey’s Star Wars: Aftermath, which sounds like it may serve as an epilogue to the original trilogy—and perhaps a prologue to the new one. Meanwhile, Marvel Comics will put out one prequel called Star Wars: Journey to the Force Awakens and another preview story told from C-3PO’s perspective. For vehicle enthusiasts, Studio Fun International will print Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy.

Also intriguing, although not strictly part of the “Journey To …” the next movie: Look for a series of novels retelling the events of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi from the perspective of various supporting characters. Which ones? The publishers aren’t saying just yet. (Fingers crossed for a Behind the Music-style look at what Sy Snootles and the Max Rebo Band thought was happening in Jabba’s throne room.)

Disney-Lucasfilm Press will release novels that focus on characters from the original trilogy. The aim is for YA readers, providing a deep dive to readers who were decades from being born when Han, Luke, and Leia first hit the screen. “It’s a way to introduce the heroes and villains of that original trilogy to a new audience that might not be as familiar as the audience that went and saw the films when they first came out,” Sugerman said.

Cecil Castellucci (author of Tin Star) will write Moving Target, an adventure following Princess Leia; Jason Fry, who earlier wrote Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy, will be the author of The Weapon of a Jedi, about Luke Skywalker; Claudia Gray, author of the Evernight series of fantasy books, will write a book titled Lost Stars; and Greg Rucka, a comic book scribe and writer of the Atticus Kodiak novels, will pen Smuggler’s Run, a Han Solo tale.

To sum this up in one word? FANTASTIC.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

I look at it like this:

Marvel has multiple universes - so - let Star Wars do the same.

I will not look at the Force Awakens as like - this is official canon and screw everything I knew growing up. I can't...since Splinter of the Mind's Eye to the Thrawn Trilogy.

They could have done alot of it better. Rebels is -ok- not great but -ok- and it's insightful to see the Galaxy during the early days of the Alliance (Abandoned Bases and such) but just not the same?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Alyesa Organa said:
*cackles madly and flees with new avatar*
WHAT! Now I must change my avatar too!!! >.<''

<3 U :p

___

New Canon: Karen Roberts is REAL,

LeiaKarenFull02_zpshn5wgkjz.jpg

JK, thanks photoshop. :D :p

Yup. Alternative Universe and such - Same as they did with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

-_-;;;;;;;;;;;

To be honest, except Thrawn, most of the post ROTJ stuff was pretty naff. It was disjointed, often contradictory, and featured the Vong.

Thus I’m happy for it to be purged if these new novels are any good.

But 20 in less than a year is…massive. Who’s reading 20 novels in 8 months?!

Valiens Nantaris said:
To be honest, except Thrawn, most of the post ROTJ stuff was pretty naff. It was disjointed, often contradictory, and featured the Vong.

Thus I’m happy for it to be purged if these new novels are any good.

But 20 in less than a year is…massive. Who’s reading 20 novels in 8 months?!
Vong can be fun...just gotta know how to handle em.

I enjoy a fight with the Vong.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] I'm betting about 2 or 3 of those books will be "adult" books....no, not Han and Leia smut...but y'know, the proper novels.

I reckon a lot will be for younger readers and shorter stories to bridge gaps, introduce new characters and old ones to younger fans and just whet our appetite.

I've always found the novels from before Episode 1 (The Old Republic novels) to be far more entertaining than the books that came after ROTJ. A lot of it struggled to keep my attention but fortunately for those novels I'm the type of person will see a book to the end even if it is awful. But no matter which direction Disney decides to go with their storylines, what was written cannot be unwritten.

I'm still rooting for another Timmothy Zahn book. He has to be the definitive writer for Star Wars, at least to me. I haven't read a bad book by him yet, especially in the Star Wars realm.

The unfortunate thing is that a good portion of the books are Junior or Young Reader novels, as well as three 'novelty' books (The Shakespearean Star Wars series). The ones that are going to be major canon material, like Dark Disciples and Lords of the Sith, I do really look forward too, as well as the comics. It's a lot more convenient to keep up with new canon when I can watch/read the stuff as it comes out.

As far some of the canon stuff, books like Tarkin and Heir to the Jedi have already reintroduced some of the minor EU characters (a random rebel, royalty, or moff here or there), but they've kept major players like Thrawn, Katarn, and the likes out of it. That I can respect.

Disney has a tendency to turn everything into a goofy comedy. Hopefully they don't do this with the movie.

I'm actually new to all of the EU books, have read the Darth Bane trilogy last week, and currently reading Jedi Search right now. This won't stop me from reading the books that's already out there, even if they won't be recognized as cannon. Because, well, Lucas was a part in the development and such for these books, so at the very least they will give me a more clear picture of the Star Wars Universe.

Sin1

S

I DONT CARE!!! I DIDNT SPEND TEN YEARS OF READING THE BOOKS FOR DISNEY TO F-ME OVER!!!!!!

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Legacy Series....my Favorite..and Disney ruined it for me...ruined it all for me...I cried a little when Disney was like LOLVOID....I as a Star Wars fan refuse to accept what they have done, and will forever declare the books already out Canon.

Valiens Nantaris said:
Who’s reading 20 novels in 8 months?!
You obviously underestimate my power.

All joking aside:
If I can read two of the adult SW books (each being... 450-500 something pages, if I remember correctly) in less than 12 hours and still understand the plot, remember character names, and be able to summarize them (which I did, for a friend) then I can read 20 books in eight months... and still read my other stuff.
Surely others can as well?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom