Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes I looked for this answer already - how do I create a character, and where do I join a campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked thoroughly through all the tabs and drop-down lists in my profile. I see where it says "Characters" at the top right, I clicked that and it basically let me add a friend account which I then cannot manipulate (i.e. add a profile pic of my character, and all of the other character information details. It's just an empty profile pic and a name, with no apparent option for me to change anything). Where do I go from there?

I'm also not seeing anywhere in the forum lists where I actually join a campaign. Do I have to PM someone personally or ask my faction leader to get invited or what? I joined Mandalorian faction, and was welcomed as an initiate, but nothing more, and I don't see anywhere in the Mandalorian areas of the site that lead to campaigns either. I spent a few hours making my character, and then a few more hours trying to figure out how to use it, and it's getting a little frustrating trying to be part of this community. Lil' help.

Pyrrho of Elis said:
I clicked that and it basically let me add a friend account which I then cannot manipulate. So all I have in my character window is a friend with the name of my character, which apparently I created but can't touch (i.e. add a profile pic of my character, and all of the other character information details. It's just an empty profile pic and a name). Where do I go from there?
Once you've added/created a character account (which is what you did when you went to the Characters button) you scroll up to the top of the site where the message inbox and alert box are both located. There's a white box which, if you click it, will show a list of all of your character names. Select one and it will automatically switch to that account. Once you've done that you can change the profile picture and stuff as you did with your writer account. Once you've created your character account and set it up, you can then create your character biography here and start RPing.

Pyrrho of Elis said:
I'm also not seeing anywhere in the forum lists where I actually join a campaign. Do I have to PM someone personally to get invited or what?
A campaign as in a campaign thread? I suppose you could PM someone who might start one, but those aren't exactly common RP threads - most are public, skirmishes, invasions, dominions, faction, or private threads. You can join factions here, no need to PM anyone for permission.

Pyrrho of Elis said:
Where would I have found links to those places on my own? Shouldn't that be front and center for new people?
Factions are in the splash bar at the top of the screen, character creation stuff is in the first three set of forums at the top of the main board.

Alright, thank you Bianca. I gotta say. That information really should be in the info at the top of the Character Creation forum. The part about switching to your subaccount with the little white box up top.

[member="Pyrrho of Elis"]

You don't make a character in the forums system or settings. The "Characters" button is for creating accounts that you use for the character. Think of it like this, the Characters button makes subaccounts, you speak through these accounts. This account you use, the green name, is the Writer account, the OOC account.

To make characters, you make a forum post, look at mine or anyone elses for inspiration

We have no "campaigns" in the tabletop sense. This is a freeform RP site, which means that it's 90% writing and 10% metagame. You can toss your character into any thread marked "Public" (and most others, actually) in the Star Wars Open Roleplaying forum, any thread that involves a faction your character belongs to, or any thread that you're invited to.

There are military campaigns, of course, but those aren't the same thing as what I think you're thinking about.

You don't make a character in the forums system or settings. The "Characters" button is for creating accounts that you use for the character. Think of it like this, the Characters button makes subaccounts, you speak through these accounts. This account you use, the green name, is the Writer account, the OOC account.
Okay, why would I make sub-accounts for that if I'm just posting through this account anyway? Can't I just go into a campaign with this account, tell them I'm Character X today, and proceed? The subaccounts seem superfluous to me, unless I'm not understanding their function.

Personally I don't find it convenient to have a dozen names through one character, that is an old style of roleplaying that I know, this feels better to me. I don't know if there's a rule about it, but there will be some people who won't like you doing that, but many people have many issues in some form. You can roleplay on your writer account, though. Have fun!

Two rules to answer this.

Pyrrho of Elis said:
Okay, why would I make sub-accounts for that if I'm just posting through this account anyway? Can't I just go into a campaign with this account, tell them I'm Character X today, and proceed? The subaccounts seem superfluous to me, unless I'm not understanding their function.

1. From General Rules: All profiles must be created as ‘character’ subaccounts to your main writer account.

2. From Character Creation Rules: Your character's account must be named properly. i.e "Emberli Garrett", "BV-119", "Omni

That is to say if you're roleplaying Steve Jobs but posting as Bill Gates, you're doing it wrong.

With your second character account, you need to switch to it. At the top, there is a white-drop down box that says "Select" that will allow you to switch accounts.
Okay, this isn't there for me. I presume you're talking about the drop down list which, when hovered over, says "my profile?" The one right next to my profile pic?

When I click this drop-down list, even though I have created sub-accounts that appear in my character list, there is no option to switch to one of those subaccounts. It only says:

What's on your mind:______________
Update

My profile My settings
My content Content I follow
Manage friends Manage Ignore prefs
Personal manager

Alright, nevermind. I found the drop down list on the other side, which just looks like a site search bar. Okay that was REALLY annoying to find that option. The directions for that, along with a picture pointing to it, need to be added to the information in the character creation forum...badly. You've probably lost a lot of potential players to the circuitous nature of that process.

N75iEt8.png

You need to make character sub accounts first on that Characters button on your profile

[member="Xyrus VI"]

I've never used a forum like this before, but it was all pretty logical and simple to find out. Do you want everything handed to you? I mean, I guess people could... if they felt like it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom