Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XR-27 Razorwind Flak Defense Turret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create an adequate anti-fighter flak system for the CIS and Salem’s personal command ship the Hand of Fate.
Development Thread: If requested. Mentioned in http://starwarsrp.ne...-of-war-closed/

Manufacturer: Baktoid Industrial Systems (Baktoid Fleet Ordnance)

Model: XR-27

Affiliation: CIS
Modularity: None
Production: Minor Production
Material: Durasteel, Circuits
Description:

Before the events of Druckenwell and the woeful display of the current CIS ships, the CIS military in conjunction with Baktoid Fleet Ordnance, began redesigning their outdated systems. One of the first of those systems was anti-fighter defensive measures. Lacking any form of flak weaponry they began devising the Razorwind Flak Defense Turret, the first of which was to be installed upon Norongachi’s ship “The Hand of Fate”. Post Druckenwell, the then experimental Razorwind Flak Defense Turret was put into full production.

The Razorwind Flak Defense Turret relies on the principle of being much more conservative with firing spreads, in exchange for using magnetic launcher technology to fire much larger shells with a greater effective radius and corresponding power for a given distance from the blast.

This is effected by utilising much more advanced automated firing controls. Rather than relying on individual gunners, who follow instructions to create a firing zone that effectively cuts off an attack vector from approaching ships, the set of guns is centrally controlled and work in concert to track and attack approaching fighters.

This method is put to greatest use on the "hand of fate" where the AI is able to make these defences 50% more damaging that a set of rapid fire turrets under individual control. However, Baktoid have managed to work the design into standard ships of the line, but the algorithms here limit the effectiveness. Here tests have shown them Razorwind to be 20% more effective, but at a 50% cost increase. It is therefore unlikely that the CIS will retrofit the whole fleet, but will choose to use them on a number of key vessels.

OOC: Each turret costs 1 point defences. On the "Hand of Fate" each is as effective as 1.5 turrets. On other ships as effective as 1.2

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Alli Wren"]

I'll need to know whether or not this can be bundled into a battery and exactly how effective you expect it to be in comparison to a normal flak cannon. Furthermore, the energy requirements for a railgun are significantly larger than conventional firing methods. I'll have to run some numbers and consult some other judges, but my instincts and guestimates say that one of these will require the same amount of power that a battery of flak cannons/PD lasers/etc requires, at the very least.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Alli Wren"]

I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused. Flak Cannons can be mounted on any capital ship. Corvette/Frigate/Cruiser/SD etc size only affects how many you can mount on the ship. And the weapon is smaller than a normal flak cannon but has two barrels and thus fires twice as much as a normal flak cannon?

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Alli Wren"]

I can't seem to find how it's been changed from your previous edit. In any case I don't see really see your logic here. "A twin belt system" isn't really as extensive a reason as I need, and the double barrel method seems inefficient when you're firing an exploding round. Nearly half the radius of the two shells is shared so it's actually less efficient than spacing two flak cannons out from each other.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
Alli Wren said:
This method is put to greatest use on the "hand of fate" where the AI is able to make these defences 50% more damaging that a set of rapid fire turrets under individual control. However, Baktoid have managed to work the design into standard ships of the line, but the algorithms here limit the effectiveness. Here tests have shown them Razorwind to be 20% more effective, but at a 50% cost increase. It is therefore unlikely that the CIS will retrofit the whole fleet, but will choose to use them on a number of key vessels.
Exactly -how- does the cannon being controlled by an AI make it better than it if it isn't controlled by an AI?

Furthermore, even at minor production I'm extremely uncomfortable on a free increase in effectiveness on standard technology with no real weaknesses to compensate, especially without a dev thread. I'm going to sound the Starship Judge Alarm ([member="Popo"] [member="Ayden Cater"] [member="Domino"] ) and get one of them for a second opinion here before I continue.

[member="Alli Wren"]

I've noticed several things with this sub and I'll address them all in detail.

Valik said:
Exactly -how- does the cannon being controlled by an AI make it better than it if it isn't controlled by an AI?

even at minor production I'm extremely uncomfortable on a free increase in effectiveness on standard technology with no real weaknesses to compensate, especially without a dev thread.
These are all good reasons. Also most point defense is already computer controlled, human reaction time just isn't good enough (not to say that there can't be somebody assigning target priority).

Another huge factor you have to consider is that on a purely numerical basis, the CIS ships should be equal to everybody else's and that perceived deficiencies are arising because of the difference in fleet writing skill of the people writing CIS fleets Vs the OP ones at Drunkenwell. Nothing against the CIS writers, they're pretty good, but giving them an excuse to go 'our flack is better because of this' wont improve anyone's fleeting experience or the ships equipped with it. Tactics need to be improved, not ships. In fact I remember your Faction Leader telling me that you didn't lose a single capital ship to that engagement.

Finally I feel as if this is an attempt to circumvent the rules laid out in the Starship area by the way this reduces the cost of a 1.5 power system. Previous such work-arounds have always come at a significant cost, the CIS swarm fighters come to mind. You can field 150% the normal number, but each has only half the regular armament resulting in 75% of the normal firepower being present.

I have no objection to subbing ship weapons, have myself and plan to again, but it shouldn't be done just to give your side a handicap.

@Valik @Alli Wren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom