Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech XR-21 Sensor Jamming Array

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create something that when aimed at a ship, reduce's their effective targeting range
Development Thread: Will do one if needed
Manufacturer:Baktoid Fleet Ordnance
Model: XR-21
Affiliation: None
Modularity: Can be placed in any ship of at least 500m or larger Smaller ships
Production: Mass Produced
Material: Circuits, Wiring,etc
Sources: Sensor Jammer and Jamming Beam
Description: This External device creates noise in the form of electronic waves or signals directed towards a ship by aiming the array towards their target. It does cost significant power and conflicts with weapons limiting the host ship to defensive weapons only. The problem is that the ship must get well in the range of enemy fire before being able to jam them. This means that ships equipped with these arrays have to put them selves at significant risk. With successful fleet maneuvering however this array on a suitable ship can be indispensable, preventing a ship from being able to lock or detect much of anything on their sensors. One of these can reduce a ships targeting by a quarter, Four of these can reduce a ship completely. The effective targeting range is 3/4 of normal turbolaswer range. Each Array, which is a dish shaped turret so to speak can only target one ship. Due to the power drain and processing requirements of these, you should only ever see a max of 16 on one vessel. For some reason any more on even a capitol ship seems to not work. most ships less than 1000m can only fit 8. This does not stop special modules such as a Crystal Gravtrap. Other special sensors would be on a case by case basis but probably are either limited or not effected depending on the type of data they gather.

( I am willing to work out effectiveness to properly balance this out with existing technologies if need be)

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Alli Wren"]

By how much (what fraction) does it reduce their effective targeting range? Please describe in description.
How is this affected by multiple units, how many ships can it target, what's the tradeoff?

Well as I say above it takes 4 to disable a ship... and you can only have 8 on a smaller ship... and 16 on a bigger ship so your looking at this locking down 2-4 ships. I don't think it matters how big the ship is, sensor arrays are sensor arrays, I should be able to jam a frigate just as well as a capitol ship. I mean I am trying to be conservative here... I don't want ships having 32 of these things... What do you think is this too weak? too strong. I am trying to find a happy medium and not make these over powered. Yet I don't want them being useless. What are your thoughts, I think that larraq has too much going on with his.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Alli Wren"] - You're almost certainly right, so we're at the point where anyone who works for that level of tech can have it, I suppose. But all that's sort of a sidenote. Approved pending secondary, on the understanding that, say, slicers and countermeasures and such, if RP'ed right, could resist these to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom