Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Witcher III: The Wild Hunt

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Wild Indeed

After playing and beating Witcher II: Assassin of Kings a few times, I got it. This is a pretty cool thing. It might be tongue-in-cheek with Tolkien similars and rewrite all your favorite faerie tales into nightmares but it never gets overtly preachy, and is remarkable with it's smart writing. Yeah. I think I like this Witcher thingy.

I've been watching some of the boys play the 3rd one on Youtube. I'm having a blast just watching them. Anybody else been hands on with this yet? Thoughts and feelz? :D

Do you think it's essential to play either of the first two games, or can you just jump into the story midway?

I completely missed Witcher 1 and 2 when they came around. Don't think I've even heard of the series until now. But everything I've seen from the Witcher 3 has been fantastic, so I'm still inclined to pick it up. I'm less likely to play it though if the previous two games are essential to the storyline. I just rarely go back in time to play games except for the sake of nostalgia.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Jorj Kell"] From what I've seen, no. The story is about finding a woman named Ciri and proceeds in 4 Acts. Everybody is so focused on the present that nobody seems to care or mention the past. Which is actually kinda nice. Old friends just say, "Been forever. Let's talk about right now." Old enemies just say, "Oh you. What do you want now?" So you get the feeling that Geralt of Rivia knows everybody but that none of it was important enough to talk about. I mean. There are a few people who say, "I owe you one." And you don't really know why. But it is so passive that again, you don't need to have played the first two games at all. Everything is very present. Everybody is living in the now. I know very little about the Witcher Lore and it hasn't bugged me one bit to sit and watch these play.

So again. From what I've seen, no. I'd recommend this game to anybody. :D

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]
I love me some Polish novel inspired low fantasy chaos.

Also Jay your avatar is doing things to my hidden Gundam Fanboy senses. *fans himself*

Jay Scott Clark said:
Wild Indeed

After playing and beating Witcher II: Assassin of Kings a few times, I got it. This is a pretty cool thing. It might be tongue-in-cheek with Tolkien similars and rewrite all your favorite faerie tales into nightmares but it never gets overtly preachy, and is remarkable with it's smart writing. Yeah. I think I like this Witcher thingy.

I've been watching some of the boys play the 3rd one on Youtube. I'm having a blast just watching them. Anybody else been hands on with this yet? Thoughts and feelz? :D
I own all three of the games, haven't gotten to read the novels yet (I seriously have not found any in any book stores, and I haven't exactly grown fond of digital texts just yet), and with around 30 hours plugged into this I can happily say it is my favorite of the three - and I have still yet to even get close to finishing the first act. I could care less about a 'downgrade' (people need to understand that rendering a small area is much easier to enhance than rendering what was essentially an entire game), as it still looks absolutely gorgeous, and while I liked the combo-like combat from 2 a bit more, I love the mechanics of this one over both, especially the crafting and such.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]: I'm playing through it right now. I was an avid fan of the Witcher 2 (Played for a while then forgot about it and when I went back a second time, I was loving it), and Wild Hunt is wonderful. Being made by an non-American company really makes the game what it is, and I'm proud of the dev team for the universe they've helped craft based on the book series. It's a rare example of such transference being successful.
The game's ultimate aspect is the fact that it makes you think, which so many games are not geared towards. Reactivity in video games is great for shooters, but so few action games require forethought, patience, and tactical thinking on a level deeper than "If I wait a few seconds I can probably get him with a grenade behind that car."
I can beat any enemy in the Witcher. But I can also lose to any enemy. The only difference being trying to power my way through versus planning and preparing for each fight.

I swear, this game is going to help me be more organised at home. lolzalot

Jorj Kell said:
Do you think it's essential to play either of the first two games, or can you just jump into the story midway?

I completely missed Witcher 1 and 2 when they came around. Don't think I've even heard of the series until now. But everything I've seen from the Witcher 3 has been fantastic, so I'm still inclined to pick it up. I'm less likely to play it though if the previous two games are essential to the storyline. I just rarely go back in time to play games except for the sake of nostalgia.
Not particularly. When you play through 3, you're questioned as Geralt in the beginning and they outline the major events of 2.

I would recommend playing 2 first because it's friggin' sweet.

[member="Ali Hadrix"] [member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Good to know! I'll pick it up without reservation (hopefully around the time when I catch up on all of the other games in my ever growing (oh god make it stop) library). In the meantime I'll be more than content with all the videos popping up here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom