Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is really bad?

Vilhelm Balfour

V
58828baddc790_thatsbait.gif.0b5817d3915d41f1f81aa3cfa9c0da6e.gif

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Fuck it, i'll bite.

You could analyze it from a purely pragmatic point of view and say the Empire got sh!t done, plain and simple. For all the "black/white" dichotomy in Star Wars, it actually does a pretty bad job at illustrating all of the various Republics throughout the saga as very effective. The Republic 1.0 was a corrupt, bloated bureaucracy that couldn't even prevent ntergalactic trade conglomerates from basically doing whatever the hell they wanted with sovereign planets. Then the Republic 2.0 in the Expanded Universe is basically more of the same, except now they're hopelessly unable to defend themselves against alien invaders. Hilariously, the new Star Wars sequels have done the exact same thing with the "New Republic". After the Battle of Endor, nothing changed. Within 30 years a new Empire with a makeover was allowed to spring up and the Republic is once again completely unable to save their own planets from destruction despite supposedly having the pooled resources of most of the galaxy at their disposal. So if you think about it from a small planet's perspective, what exactly are the benefits of joining the Republic? You get your ass run over by intergalactic capitalism while making your planet a target for superweapons.

If you were looking for an argument as to why democracy itself sucks, read some Anthony Ludovici maybe?

The Empire is evil because the writers say it is evil.

In-universe the empire is evil because it exists solely for the subjugation of all worlds in the galaxy under the thumb of its ruler, the sadistic and openly, unapologetically, evil dictator known as Darth Sidious.

The Sith are evil, whether you want to admit it or not. There is no ambiguity there, the force is a polarized dichotomy of black and white where the light is good and the dark is evil.

This is where that old self comes out. I am a supporter of the Empire but like anything else, it has its own weaknesses and flaws.

I have raised myself for nearly a decade now believing in the SIth Code and believe it in about every sense possible. If you understand it, you get an idea of why the Empires are run the way they are. They consider anyone weak to be thrown under the bus or made meager slaves. This works to a certain extent though one of the biggest flaws was actually Emperor Sidious implementing a species policy. While it worked for its intention (keeping a unified state of humans and creating a status caste), it neglected the idea that a few "aliens" so to speak could become a force to be reckoned with which of course resulted in massacres which resulted in the Rebel Alliance.

It is due to that it created its own unique problem and with it, became an "Evil" figure. I am honest in saying that the entire species regiment made the Galactic Empire in itself very evil as it created a huge amount of problems and massacres. While there was some good in the Empire (read Lords of the Sith), there is plenty of bad and I mean PLENTY of bad. In the Galactic Empire sense, they were the bad guys and no way around it.

Now if we focus on say the Sith Empire on the Cold War stage, it is not entirely evil nor should it give the idea of evil. They were marauders, warriors coming to conquer and keep what they have to themselves. While the up and mighty deal is still there, the social caste is dramatically different from the Galactic Empires. Humans while still held in perstiege, aliens were still given ways to serve and fight in their military though it was favored more to humanoids like Duros and Zabaraks. However the top of the caste with Sith with humans being the "second class" so to speak. This was a behavior that was adapted later into the Brotherhood of the Sith and a central reason why Darth Bane wrote in his journals about ignoring the idea of anti-alien sentiment since everyone has a reason. Even Darth Revan before his concussion (memory wipe) was given the same chances and saw uses in them.

While it is a poor argument to say if that made the past less evil, it is honestly the truth if you think of the amount of death between them. Slaves existed on both sides but the Galactic Empire kept a huge status quo on slavery to run almost every aspect of the empire including mass execution after building the death star and sex slaves for twi'leks and the amount of corruption going on that Sidious actually knew about. If you check against the Sith Empire, they were TAME compared to the likes of the Galactic Empire which while evil in poisoning slaves and building, they at least had a more fair treatment and knew what the hell they were doing in a larger scale, kicking in the Republics teeth in when they wanted and playing the peace. If you want to argue, tell me how long it took for the Rebel Alliance to kick the Galactic Empires ass and kill the Emperor and compare to the Sith Empires war and the amount of time required to even conquer a few planets. When you get that answer, you never want to look at the GE again.

[member="Gavin Coral"]

If you wish to discuss a bit more, by all means hit me up. Been a retired Sith for a very long time and had to study things like this for a good long while.

Crane Baxa said:
If you check against the Sith Empire, they were TAME compared to the likes of the Galactic Empire which while evil in poisoning slaves and building, they at least had a more fair treatment and knew what the hell they were doing in a larger scale, kicking in the Republics teeth in when they wanted and playing the peace. If you want to argue, tell me how long it took for the Rebel Alliance to kick the Galactic Empires ass and kill the Emperor and compare to the Sith Empires war and the amount of time required to even conquer a few planets. When you get that answer, you never want to look at the GE again
They call the expression "lesser of two evils" because they are both evil.

The Sith Empire and The Galactic Empire were both evil. One's excessive corruption and overabundance of evil does not excuse the other.

The Sith Empire was ran by Darth Vitiate, whose entire plan was to drain the entire galaxy of life to reshape it in his own image. That's pretty much the defining characteristic of an evil psychopath. The only reason his empire lasted at all was because The Old Republic is an MMO that obtains money through subscriptions, microtransactions, and so on, and would cease to create revenue if they were to have an endgame as most RPGs do. The Galactic Empire ended after 23 years because that's a reasonable frame of time for a rebellion to shake off the chains of a tyrant that is confronted by a Jedi and betrayed by his apprentice.

The Empire and the Sith are written to be evil. They are supposed to be the bad guys in a narrative made to be understood by children. That's the long and short version of it.

People can spin a way that they helped people somewhere but that's not what the people who write Star Wars intend. The Empire blew up a planet of 2 billion people in a New Hope to firmly establish themselves as evil in the story. Their entire role in the story is to be evil, to be the vile antagonists the heroes overcome.
There's not much of a debate to be had.

The Empire uses genocide and slavery to solve minor political problems or economic tension.

Where's the ambiguity again?

I mean sure they're visually cooler and you can go into details about why they were better at doing x sort of thing than the Republic but it's made pretty damn cut and dry.

Or did you forget the part they blew up a goddamn planet for the fuck of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom