Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Whisker Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week_16___Anomaloshark_by_Sapien.jpg

Image Credit: http://danieljoelnewman.deviantart.com/art/Week-16-Anomaloshark-119561505
Name: Whisker Fish
Designation: Non-sentient
Homeworld: Eclipstica
Language: Their body language informs the school they live in whether they are in danger or not.
Average height of adults: 4 meters (its very rare to find one at this size as they are often eaten by predators)
Skin color: Grey scales
Hair color: None
Breathes: Type One through the water
Strengths: They reproduce in vast numbers, and have strong scales
Weaknesses: They are not the smartest fish, are slow swimmers
Distinctions: Whiskers, gills, scales, large adulthood sizes.
Average Lifespan: 5 years
Races: None
Estimated Population: 1 million estimated
Diet: Kelp, plankton, small plants in the waters
Communication: Body Language
Culture: The society as always relied on the Silacanth Lizards as a primary food source, but the Whisker Fish is the secondary food source as they can be sometimes difficult to catch due to their size. They know them to be docile creatures, and no real threat when swimming.
Technology level: N/A
General Behavior: Whisker Fish live in a school, and do many common fish things. They eat, sleep, then release their food waste. They reproduce for no reason other than instinct to keep species numbers high. They will begin to move their bodies left and right in a speedy fashion, this would signal to the school that a predator was coming. Because they are so slow though, it was common to see one, or two taken from the school as food by the predators, and sometimes this body motion would cause some of the younger ones to be confused, and allow the predators a chance to feed on them.
History: When the Whisker Fish was first discovered, this gave the people of Eclipstica a new form of survival, and because fish do not always need to be cooked to eat, this gave them something they could catch, and eat on the spot. Large fish were sold for higher prices, because it was so rare to find them at such large sizes. It was never a worry of them going extinct, nor is there still that worry today. The fish provided a great trade source for the planet to one another, and helped with making the economy, and occupations for the planet more varied then just farmer.
Notable Player-Characters: None
Intent: To create more life for Eclipstica, and give a secondary food source for the planet, as well another item to trade with throughout the galaxy.

[member="Romeo Sin"]

Alrighty, lets see what we have.

Language: They dont talk

There's more to language than talking. You mention your species schools(and shoals, most likely). In order to achieve this behavior there is a level of communication with the other fish. Think pheromones, sensory nodes, etc. Since your fish do school, I'd like to see this edited.

Average Lifespan: 50

This is a long lived fish but its weaknesses are dumb and slow. In the chain of things these creatures wouldn't live that long because the juveniles would be getting snacked on by smarter, faster predators. I'd say either change the lifespan or figure out different weaknesses.

Estimated Population: Its very common in the waters of Eclipstica
Could you give a rough number in here please. You could follow it up with something like X Number ; very common.

Communication: None

See language

General behavior: Whisker Fish live in a school, and do many common fish things. They eat, sleep, then release their food waste. They reproduce for no reason other than instinct to keep species numbers high. It's a fish, and not a smart one at that, they will not run from predators until its too late, and the predator is already munching down on one of their kin.
History: When the Whisker Fish was first discovered, this gave the people of Eclipstica a new form of survival, and because fish do not always need to be cooked to eat, this gave them something they could catch, and eat on the spot. Large fish were sold for higher prices, and it was never a worry of them going extinct, nor is there still that worry today. The fish provided a great trade source for the planet to one another, and helped with making the economy, and occupations for the planet more varied then just farmer.
This will have to be changed based on what I've mentioned above. I have a hard time believing these fish are so populous and long living yet are slow and stupid. It doesn't make sense. Now, they can be slow and stupid but they better only be living for five years or so. As such, I'd like to see Behavior and History edited based on my edit suggestions and where you chose to take the sub. You're off to a good start, it just needs to be tweaked a little.

[member="Romeo Sin"]

if you want them big you may want to make them a bit smarter. Perhaps a weakness would be slower birth rates, much like our smaller (narwhal, beluga) whales. My personal suggestion would be to research our own planets whales to get ideas on where to go from this point. Or a large species of fish, such as tuna or swordfish.

[member="Romeo Sin"]

I see you edited history already so thats fine. Just clean up capitalization and put N/A for technology level since they are non-sentient fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom