Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the Plan for Disney Canon?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
The announcement of Rogue One got me thinking about how the genre is changing. Disney's got the ball and they are rolling with it. Comic books, movies, toys, TV shows, etc. Wookieepedia is about to explode with all this new content. The tech is changing as much as the lore is.

Q: Yo Staff, what is the plan for dealing with Disney Canon? How do you see all of this new content affecting the game, factory, roleplay judges, species lists, banned items, etc?

___

This is a message for Staff. But if you want to speculate as a member, go for it.

I look at it this way:

If the Vong get retconned, there's no way that the Galactic Federation Triumvirate used Vong tech to heal all the busted worlds. A bunch of RP on said world would never have happened.

All I'm concerned about. :D

I think it's fair to say that a merge of some sort is possible. The new canon blends with the old in a convenient way. Think of it kinda like an event, perhaps? Dimensional shifts, things changing on a short-term notice, people disappearing into the Netherworld and things just being updated and mentioned as "This stuff was suddenly known as if it had always been there."

They could have the two alternate universes merge somehow.

Though in the end it's still up to you, the player, to pick what parts of 'canon' you play around with. For all we know there are several people here who already disregard the EU for whatever reason and I suspect the Episode VII stuff and onward is just the same.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Captain Jordan said:
The timeline is 800 years out. Is anything Disney does truly going to affect the site canon?
Watch me wreck your world,

• Disney retcons Mandalorian Iron. It is now called Boneman's Brass and is only good for blocking magical powers.
  • Disney retcons Canon items that exist in the EU. Did your character own Luke Skywalker's Holocron? Boom! Not anymore.
  • Disney retcons the Vong Invasion. The Vong are now called Faeries and enjoy a utopia of pink unicorn happiness. Boom!
  • Disney retcons the Timeline. The Universe splits naturally at 100 ABY creating twin universes with alternate Force Polarities.

The point is that much of our RP is based upon, collected with, and inspired by 'Legends Canon' and 'Movie Canon'. We even have a list of Canon Items that characters have collected through RP. Thusly, with the advent of 'Disney Canon' or 'Alternate Dimensions Canon', how is the website going to change; or will it?

*sploosh* Minds exploding. *sploosh* Red pill, blue pill. *sploosh* Save us Jay. Save us.

You get the point. :(

Captain Jordan said:
The timeline is 800 years out. Is anything Disney does truly going to affect the site canon?

Kezeroth the Malevolent said:
Lol, No it wont.
The entire site canon is based on the existence of the Yuuzhan Vong. If they were to be removed from canon then everything this site is based on becomes nothing more than non-canon storytelling. Which is perfectly fine.

From what Disney has stated about their canon, however, is that movie canon and EU canon are two separate timelines with no real relation to each other - like Marvel and such.

Jay Scott Clark said:
  • Disney retcons Mandalorian Iron. It is now called Boneman's Brass and is only good for blocking magical powers.
  • Disney retcons Canon items that exist in the EU. Did your character own Luke Skywalker's Holocron? Boom! Not anymore.
  • Disney retcons the Vong Invasion. The Vong are now called Faeries and enjoy a utopia of pink unicorn happiness. Boom!
  • Disney retcons the Timeline. The Universe splits naturally at 100 ABY creating twin universes with alternate Force Polarities.
Then we ignore them. Chaos has expanded magnificently over the years in terms of Lore and World Building, so much so that this site is not necessarily dependent on what will happen in the Disney version of Star Wars. Do keep in mind that almost literally everything got scrapped of the Canon label by Disney so, by extension, almost everything we use here might as well have never existed in a technical sense of the word. Disney will use its own universe, timeline, and terminology while Chaos will continue to use the ones set before the Purge of the Mouse. We will also always be able to adapt new technology and lore that comes with this new Universe with enough ease to properly fit the universe of Chaos, it's only a matter of manpower and time.

In other words, Chaos is it's own beast at this point in time. Just make a sticky for new players regarding the fact that almost everything they see here was created before the retcon by Disney and we should be good to go.

Truthfully, there isn't enough lore in new canon for us to justify switching entirely to it. We're so far into the future of Star Wars, that there's not much to go on in the movies. Also, the books and comics that've come out so far are just about the same groups of characters, which i haven't even seen anyone ICly mention a Skywalker.

Maybe if we were set in like 3 ABY or something, it'd be more logical to look into.

Bunker-level Normal
Jay Scott Clark said:
Watch me wreck your world,

The point is that much of our RP is based upon, collected with, and inspired by 'Legends Canon' and 'Movie Canon'. We even have a list of Canon Items that characters have collected through RP. Thusly, with the advent of 'Disney Canon' or 'Alternate Dimensions Canon', how is the website going to change; or will it?

*sploosh* Minds exploding. *sploosh* Red pill, blue pill. *sploosh* Save us Jay. Save us.

You get the point. :(

Silara said:
The entire site canon is based on the existence of the Yuuzhan Vong. If they were to be removed from canon then everything this site is based on becomes nothing more than non-canon storytelling. Which is perfectly fine.

From what Disney has stated about their canon, however, is that movie canon and EU canon are two separate timelines with no real relation to each other - like Marvel and such.
And? So the Yuuzhan Vong invasion happens after Episode IX instead of between VI and VII.

So maybe Cade Skywalker discovers the Holocron, and history eventually associates it with THE Skywalker of lore and legend. Boneman's Brass eventually comes to be called Mandalorian Iron. The Faeries eventually come to call themselves the Yuuzhan Vong and peace is restored to the kingdom. In 301 ABY, the timelines re-merge and the Force again finds balance.

My point is, Chaos is so far out, that any tweaks needed to happen in order to adjust for a Disneyfied canon would be minimal. You've already created new content, just like many fandom groups wind up doing (Star Trek RPs do the same, as I'm sure many other fandoms do). Sometimes the new content is even similar, sometimes it corrects a wrong done by the "true" canon, and sometimes it stands alone. But all you need to do is call your content something that occurred outside of Disney's canonical scope, and you're golden.

[member="Captain Jordan"]

I hope it does become separate timelines. Especially from what I've read there will be no Luk/Mara Jade relationship to give birth to skywalker kids unless Disney plans to change something along those lines. The Han/Leia relationship will almost have to be there so there is the chance they will have kids...mainly Jacen Solo.

Likely their will be separate timelines in which is considered EU and then the Disney Canon.

Much like how there are two different lines for The Legend of Zelda.

One for when the Hero wins,

And one for when the Hero dies.

FYi:

Yvette Dusong said:
the Purge of the Mouse
Using this from now on when we talk about Disney taking over Lucasarts.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
I think im echoing our fearless leader here, but Why would anything change at all? Disney already said basically the entire EU is not canon already, but last I checked the source material is still there and still in use.

If anything the only complications will be either incorporation of new stuff or conflicting depictions of already existing material, the latter of which is a problem already dealt with on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom