Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Lies Beneath: Sebiris

Haxon Industries F.O.B | Midday

"So that's the whole of it." Lieutenant Drek said in his typical monotonous way. His finger tracing over the map beside him. "Keep in the perimeter and we can guarantee your safety. If not...well, the company gives nice mourning pay to families." Like most corporate security officers Drek had once been a military man. Probably a brave soldier in his time. Now though he was old, fat, and was only patriotic about his payment.

He had been put in charge of this little excursion. Haxon Industries was expanding it's operations into more philanthropic endeavors, and had tied up a good deal of credits on Sebiris. Of course no one truly believed the company was working to restore cultural relics for the good of society. There had to be an underlying monetary gain there somewhere. It was just that no one could find it.

Drek was leading about fifty men on Sebiris surface. Most were civilian contractors, busy unloading shuttles and setting up camp. Waiting fervently for the order to move to a dig site where they would begin their real work, and collect their hazard pay. Security forces only consisted of fourteen men and women. Most greener than the jungle around them. The rest were the eggheads. Haxon had put an open offer up for this expedition. Join the team, head to Sebiris, and if you find anything you get a nice bonus check.

Quiet a few answered that call. Of course some were in it for the money. Ever hoping to claim a quick credit on the company's time. Others though came for the research. Those that believed that any relics or artifacts found should be preserved, and looked after. Others, like Rikard Tetalar.

Rikard had listened to Drek drone on for nearly an hour now. He was not overly thrilled that Haxon had sent in a contingent of it's jackbooted thugs to oversee their work, but then again they were footing the bill. "We'll have to go farther out than that." Rikard finally chimed in. "Any neolithic structures in this environment would most likely have been built against natural defenses. Like the mountains, just north of the river there."

"I have my orders and you have yours!" Drek barked. "Until things have been better secured here we won't be moving any farther." Rikard scoffed and turned away from the table. What Drek was saying was not inherently wrong though. Unfamiliar locales held unfamiliar dangers. Far better for the average soul to prepare himself as best as he possibly could. Rikard, however, was not the average soul. He had trekked through more jungle than most had ever seen. More importantly, he wasn't quite prepared to wait another week or two for more security forces to arrive.

[member="Skyler Swaffer"] | [member="Mathas Cavyr"] | [member="Xzara Vox"] | [member="Jessica Rye"] | [member="Myles Davorak"]

Jessica Rye

J
Tops stood nearby just scratching her chin. Listening to Drek and Rikard talk about the safety of the expedition. She herself was unconcerned about their exposure thus far. At least planetside anyway. After all, the Force offered her all the protection she needed down here. Even this far from planet Kesh she could still feel the currents of the Lightside strongly. Powerfully. Pulling her forward and guiding her out into the unknown. Just like it always had since she was a child.

Alas. As to their adventure today? Well. Sebiris was located in the Kathol Sector. Infamous home to The Outback Guilders and The Outer Rim Coalition. Good people sure. But strange and dangerous in their own way too. Ha. Not to mention that crazy King of Kesh who spent trillions and trillions of credits trying to turn his planet into a one-world empire a few years back. So, while this place was as far away from the Core Worlds as any gal could probably ever get? Mm. It had seen it's fair share of wandering heroes already.

Jessica Rye, or Tops; as she had already introduced herself as to just about everyone. Had come to this far-flung world via her Travel-sprite Interceptor. Dressed her fashionable Gem's Coat space suit. All this way to represent the interests of the Keshiri Sunsword Merchants Guild. Indeed. Her mission. To find lost artifacts of The Saga and bring them back to planet Kesh. (Hopefully without poor Dreks and Haxon Corp finding out about it either. Hehe.) ...Oh. Oh my. Maybe she did need all the protection she could get after all? Haha. This was going to be fun.

Tops nodded and spoke out loud. To nobody in particular.

"Fair enough. I'll go grab my helmet and be ready when it's time."

She nodded to Rikard and gave him a shrug of her broad shoulders. Leaving the meeting just as quickly as she had come.

I mean. Yeah. Tops was aloof like that. Always with her head in the Force. Awake, yet meditative inside. Distracted outwardly from the common world. Calm and focused inwardly towards the magical world within. Yep. The perfect disguise for a Force Adept who doesn't tell anybody that she's a Force Adept. Cloak your Force Aura and not even the Grandmaster Kitra of Kashyyyk could tell. Indeed. Most the common man mostly just figures to himself that Tops is a lackluster pilot or perhaps a lost executive secretary. Nothing more than meets the eye. Just look at that face. Too much make-up to be a soldier and too distracted with pretty blue shoes to be the boss. Nah. Tops was just Tops. A perfectly good nobody.

A nobody. Who hid her silver Lightsaber deep within her jacket's dark pockets too.

[member="Rikard Tetalar"]

Xzara Vox

X
Xzara sat on a rock with her notebook in hand, watching people walk back and forth as they prepared for the coming expedition. She focused in on a conversation between Drek and another man. Drek was telling the man that the halt in their work was due to lack of security personnel, Xzara rolled her eyes in response. The Sebiri people could eliminate their entire party if they so desired. The Sebiri were the reason Xzara had decided to come along to Sebiris, although she had kept that part to herself, as far as anyone else knew she was here to participate in the dig. Once they got far enough into the jungle though, she planned to separate from the group and attempt to make contact with the Sebiri.

She had been studying Sebiri Sign Language for months now, what little the rest of the galaxy knew of it that is. She was hoping that if she could show them that she could be trusted, they would let her live among them and study their means by which they survive on such a primitive planet. It would be the ultimate discovery, getting her noticed by many prestigious archaeology societies. Then, hopefully, she could go from criminal archaeologist escapee, to respected and recognized scholar.

As she contemplated these things, she absentmindedly sketched the flora and fauna surrounding her, waiting for the expedition to begin.

[member="Rikard Tetalar"] [member="Jessica Rye"]

Mathas amused himself with the sight of the people frantically pacing to and fro in preparation for the expedition. Back and forth, back and forth. Pendulums of worry for some, excitement for others. Mathas kept himself content with the five men he had brought with him; a smuggler's company. They were all intimately familiar with the Kathol Sector, and they had all been to Sebiris before. Not often, of course; they hardly relished spending time on a jungle world of primitives. But the Sebiri had surprisingly been friendly for the most part. Like all undeveloped peoples, they possessed consecrated grounds that were strictly off-limits to outsiders, but the reptilian people were a generally outgoing and accommodating species, doubly so if one brought them presents. The smugglers' time on this world had endowed them with elementary knowledge of the Sebiri sign language that supplemented their clucking speech. They didn't envision the need to interact with the Sebiri peoples again, but that was always a possibility and it was always beneficial to carry advantages, no matter how slender.

Drinking some Corellian ale, Mathas watched "Lieutenant" Drek as he told the man called Rikard that the official party wasn't interested in moving any further until additional security arrived. Mathas scoffed. The man was like a cowardly soldier requesting superfluous reinforcements.

This presented a clear opportunity for those who had no interest in being encumbered by the old fart's slow processes to profit, and Mathas suspected that Rikard was one of them. Feeding himself some nuts from his pocket, he walked over to Rikard once the man was safely out of the Drek's earshot and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"My friend, I see that you share my lack of patience for safety protocols and old men. Whatever you seek to gain from this expedition, you will gain it best by venturing out and returning as quickly as possible. I have done this sort of thing for many years; I can tell you expediency is essential to success." He removed his hand from Rikard's shoulder to feed himself some more nuts, then took another swig of his ale before he continued speaking. "My crew and I intend to depart now. I suggest you find like-minded individuals and join us." He began to turn away before starting another sentence with, "You'll be rich," then stopped himself to add "Or blessed with the discovery of historical treasures," as he found the man was unlikely to share his interest in material gain, "before that old fool can even get his expedition going."

With that, he headed back to his group and beckoned for them to begin heading off.

[member="Xzara Vox"] [member="Jessica Rye"] [member="Rikard Tetalar"]

Rikard let his gaze linger on Mathas for a moment, only cutting them away when a passerby blocked his vision. By the look of him the man was hardly the learned sort. Brought to the planet solely for the promise of payment. Not that Rikard could argue with that sentiment much these days. Being as strapped for credits as he had been in recent months implored his morals to be a mite more flexible. Still, Rikard knew outright trusting someone like Mathas as a sure way to get one's throat slit. So therein lay his dilemma. Take a gamble with unknown parties, or wait for the lumbering forces of Haxon to finally get a move on.

The young red-headed woman pushed away from the table and walked off towards the camp. She was hard to read, but something told Rikard she was just as anxious as he was. Looking around further it became clear she was not the only one. A few men leaned against the impromptu cantina walls bickering among themselves. One homely looking fellow with wearing a large pair of spectacles was fervently pacing at the campsite's edge. Not far from him another red-headed girl, younger than the first, seemed engrossed in a book of some kind. None of which seemed to be taking to patience very well.

"It could work." Rikard said and he ran his fingers through his beard. A slight cough rising from his throat as he glanced around once more. "In fact....things might be better this way." The wheels in Rikard's mind had begun to turn. The ruin were supposedly located on this side of the river, but already Rikard had deemed that false. If their group trekked further north to where he suspected they lie, then they would have first shot at what was there. Which meant Rikard may well get the chance to save a few of the more precious artifacts there from Haxon, perhaps donating them to a museum, and still collect his credits. "Right then...who to ask first." The man spoke with a toothy grin, before trekking off towards his first target.

[member="Mathas Cavyr"] | Xzara Vox | Jessica Rye

Jessica Rye

J
Whilest Rikard and Mathas plotted their escape. Tops decided that redheads of a feather should stick together.

"My. You've a lovely talent there."

Rye walked over to Xzara and complimented her sketchbook. Perhaps she had looked over her shoulder once or twice. Either way, now she stood next to the girl. Her helm under one arm and another compliment upon her lips too. Trying to make new friends, I suppose.

"I'm Tops. And I must say, it is a pleasure to meet another brave, talented woman out here in these tumbling wilds. Hehe. I say. Would you mind a little company? I'm afraid I've never quite been out this far from Kesh and the anxiety is killing me. Hmph."

Tops smiled a broad smile. Half jesting. Half impatience.

"You're... Xzara yes? I think I spied the name on the guest list?"

[member="Xzara Vox"]

Myles listened to the exchange between the man known as Drek, and the man who summoned him here; [member="Rikard Tetalar"] . Although Myles would be in this expedition for the money, he enjoyed travelling with researchers and explorers in finding long lost information or treasure.

It wasn't Myles' first rodeo with an expeditionary force. He piped up to Rikard and offered a bit of information, whether he heeded it or not "The longer we wait, the more risk we run of locales flanking this camp, the ruins being discovered and ransacked or worse." Myles fancied himself a bit of a scout, even in his old age, he can still gather intel rather appropriately.

Leaving Rikard to his own reflections, Myles walked toward the edge of camp, with his blaster carbine slung over his shoulder. Squinting his eyes and breathing in the damp air he surveyed the treeline as far as he could and had a sinking feeling. As if we are being observed he thought to himself.

[member="Mathas Cavyr"] [member="Xzara Vox"] [member="Jessica Rye"]

Xzara Vox

X
Xzara looked around the camp as she sketched, people were growing more and more anxious as the hours ticked by. Her attention was drawn away from her book when a woman approached her. She stood and smiled, "Thanks, though they are just some scribbles, that is all."

She put her notebook back into her rucksack and pulled out a canteen of water out. She took a sip as Tops spoke. "Well it is nice to meet you Tops. And don't worry too much about being out here, besides the animals it is a pretty harmless and rather beautiful planet. As for the natives, the'll behave if there is something in it for them." Xzara chuckled to herself. "I don't know about you but I'm itching to get this show on the road."

[member="Myles Davorak"] [member="Jessica Rye"] [member="Rikard Tetalar"] [member="Mathas Cavyr"]

"No, the soldiers won't be coming with us." Rikard said through gritted teeth, reiterating what he had just explained for the tenth time now. The small crowd at the back of the cantina tent eyed one another warily. Most of them were here for an easy credit, not caring about in the slightest about the new delay. Staying in camp surrounded by trained gun-hands worked just as well as slugging through the jungle. That being the main problem Rikard now faced. How to convince this gaggle of self-interested louts to go against their true nature. Rikard's eyes now glancing over the men before him as they grumbled amongst themselves.

"We're here to dig, that's it." A tall Twi'lek finally chimed in. "Braving the unknown is not in our job description." Most probably the defacto leader of the labor forces. Convincing him would be key to winning over the rest.

"Are you, any of you, really prepared to stick this thing out for the long haul?" If their sense of adventure was lacking then best to play on their selfishness. "A project like this can last months, or years." A few of the workers' faces were already beginning to sour. "I'm betting on finding the ruins in less than a week. The quicker we find the ruins, the quicker you start digging, the quicker we all go home." Now even the Twi'lek was wearing a mixed expression.

One of the workers pushed through from the back of the crowd. "You lot do what you want, I'm going."

Another moved in from the side. "Yeah I'll go too."

Then another, and another, until six men stood before Rikard. More would be ideal for excavating anything, but this number was perfect for moving through the underbrush. "Glad to have you all aboard. I'll let you know when it's time to move out." Rikard smiled and gave them all a reassuring nod, before erupting into cough. "Ah...just get yourselves ready in the meantime." The nodded back, and Rikard began to exit the cantina. He had muscle but now he needed brains. Rikard needed another that could read sign, and was capable of understanding the layout of ruins. Yet where could he find such a person here?

[member="Xzara Vox"] | [member="Myles Davorak"] | [member="Jessica Rye"] | [member="Mathas Cavyr"]

Xzara Vox

X
As Xzara talked to Tops she could hear the man she had seen before, talking to a group in the cantina tent. She could hear him making plans to get a group together and start of towards the ruins. She knew she needed to get into that party if she wanted to get anywhere any time soon. She quickly gathered her things and said to Tops, "I'll be right back."

Xzara raced off towards the man, "Hey wait up!" she said. Once she caught up to him she held out her hand, "I'm Xzara. I hear you are going to head up to the ruins? I'd better come along, you'll need someone of my skill set."

[member="Rikard Tetalar"] [member="Myles Davorak"] [member="Jessica Rye"] [member="Mathas Cavyr"]

Myles saw Rikard slowly depart with some men in tow. Also running up to him was a woman that he had not acquainted with yet, actually there were a few people he hadn't acquainted with yet. The other person he didn't greet that had long auburn hair, she looked fierce whoever she was.

Running up to [member="Rikard Tetalar"] he offered to come along "Somebody's gotta watch your back eh Rikard?" he mused.

Myles overheard the man telling the others to get ready and move out. Myles did just that as he made sure his blaster carbine was ready to rock 'n' roll. He did have a rather small rucksack that he brought for the journey that had essentials in it. Enough to keep him sustained.

Sweat was starting to form on his brow. There were some hot summers back on Naboo but this planet was....humid to say the least. The collar of his shirt started to darken as the sweat formed. By his side he also had a small vibroblade that he could use to bushwhack if need be.

[member="Jessica Rye"] [member="Xzara Vox"]

Jessica Rye

J
Tops nodded as Xzara ran off to join a splinter party. It did appear that Rikard and, what was his name? Myles? Yes. I guess those two were crafting up an expedition of their own.

"Excellent."

Rye smiled. It would be much easier to sneak a few lost baubles into her pouch if the soldiers weren't along for the ride.

"Alas. What to do about my ship?"

She scratched her chin and looked back towards the clearing. Mmm. Can't leave her wildly expensive military fighter plane just lying about. Especially not when she was about to pull away from the main group. I mean. It didn't take a Sith Pirate to realize that just five minutes stripping down her vessel would lead to thousands of credits worth of salvage. Far to easy a target.

"Hey R2!"

She wandered back to her ship's first mate. The little blue droid with a habit of swearing constantly. R2-T4.

"So R2. How do you feel about parking her up the mountain a little ways. Just, in a few minutes. I'm fixing to leave this party and we need a new LZ."

~ Dwoop? Zzzr... Donk donk. ~

"Excellent. I'll com you when we are leaving the camp. Then make for the western ridgeline and park her above the canyon. Cheers 2!"

~ Dwee dweep! ~

Tops smiled to herself and looked back to find Rikard. Guess she should probably go stand with the rest of them. She didn't need anybodies permission to tag along anyway. Tops would just follow the rest of party whenever they decided to leave. The fewer questions asked? The better.

[member="Rikard Tetalar"]

Myles found his way into the mix. Good thing too. Rikard had brought the hired-gun along in Garmon's stead. Rikard's constant companion had some business to take care of elsewhere, but had insisted he bring along someone willing to get rough if need be. "Glad you've managed to stay out of trouble down here Myles. We'll be heading out quick." Rikard cast an eye over towards Drek's tent. "Wouldn't do any of us good if our fearless leader caught wind of this little excursion. Anything found without him taking point will reflect poorly on his leadership after all." Rikard looked back towards the motley band of people massing behind him and gave a curt nod.

"Oh hey, you're that girl?" Rikard's hand going up to cover his mouth as a raspy breath slipped loose. "I saw you reading in that book earlier. Figured you for one of Drek's staff." The man gave the girl a quick once over then a light shrug. "Well I won't stop you from coming. The more hands we have the faster we'll work. As long as the Sebiri don't catch wind of us disturbing the ruins it should be smooth sailing." A toothy grin now spreading across his face. "If you catch my drift."

Things were shaping up better than he had originally planned. A few hands here and there to help with heavy lifting was all he really hoped for, but now he had a real team. From the corner of his eye Rikard noticed the other red-head from earlier slip into their lineup. He wouldn't argue that either. Something told him she was far more capable than first impressions tended to let on. At any rate it was time to hit the trail. Ever second they lingered here was one more Drek had to shut them down. "What in the poodoo is going on out there?" Rikard sighed. "Alright, it's time to go!" With that the man turned towards the edge of camp and made for the jungle. The workers with their equipment in tow eagerly followed. Not knowing if Rikard lead them to fortune, or to disaster.

[member="Jessica Rye"] | [member="Myles Davorak"] | [member="Xzara Vox"] | [member="Mathas Cavyr"]

Myles nodded at Rikard's statement "Good to hear, Rikard. I got you covered" he said giving a brief thumbs up.

At the signal of [member="Rikard Tetalar"] moving deeper into the jungle, Myles broke out into a sprint right behind him. Slapping brush and foliage out of the way Myles was sure to keep up with the Explorer. He wasn't sure if Rikard was heading in the right direction or not but Myles would surely follow.

Myles did not look back to see if the others were following, but he sure as hell hope they were.

[member="Jessica Rye"] [member="Xzara Vox"] [member="Mathas Cavyr"]

Xzara Vox

X
Xzara rolled her eyes at Rikard's comment, but she grabbed the rest of her things and started off with the rest of the group. Once they left camp and entered the jungle it was if they had happened upon a whole new world. The dense trees loomed over the group so high that they couldn't see the tops. Everything was so vibrantly colored, the plants like nothing she had ever seen in her studies or expeditions.

Xzara quickened her pace so that she was walking in step with Rikard, "So tell me Rikard, I hear whispering that you plan to head north. What have you learned that makes you believe that we will find the ruins there?" She inquired due to the fact that she had already mapped out the north. A particularly isolated Sebiri village resided there, although Xzara had no intentions of visiting them. That Sebiri tribe was known for their... unforgiving nature, they didn't think so fondly of visitors as other tribes did.

[member="Myles Davorak"] [member="Rikard Tetalar"] [member="Jessica Rye"] [member="Mathas Cavyr"]

Jessica Rye

J
Tops followed at the back of the group. Her glasteel space helm hiding most of her face. Doing her best to avoid the constant snaggles and snares of the jungle floor. Frowning at the uphill journey ahead. Only somewhat thankful for her mildly weightless equip load. She disengaged the HUD on her helm and just let the Force take her mind away. Smiling faintly at it's impressions of their adventure ahead. Pulling her deeper into the green world that surrounded them.

She didn't sense danger. At least, not yet. Mostly she just sensed the volunteers beside her. As if each and every single adventurer was electricity. Changing the destiny of everything around them like lightning. A wild new variable in a world that existed just fine without them for thousands of years. Aliens. Ghosts. Newcomers to the environment. Raindrops of change.

Then she stopped.

Something had changed back at base camp. Strange? What was it? Had they left just in time? Or,..

Tops looked back up the mountain and engaged her HUD again. ...Nothing. No a single thermal signature of significant size. Just birds. Nothing more.

"Mmm."

She squinted hard and continued trekking up the trail with the others. Sensing once again that the worst was not yet ahead of them. But behind.

[member="Xzara Vox"] [member="Myles Davorak"] [member="Rikard Tetalar"][member="Mathas Cavyr"]

Sprinting through the jungle like a convict on Rishi, Myles slapped through the brush as lifeforms and native wildlife scrambled away from them.
No signs of predators yet....that's a good thing Myles thought.

No telling if their previous company at base camp would pursue them like keepers of the law. Hopefully they wouldn't be executed like fugitives. Trees covered in moss loomed overhead, preventing the sun from piercing the lush green canopy. This jungle was getting dark seemed like. Without an active direction, or a plan for that matter they were sitting tauntauns. "What's the plan Rikard? This jungle is getting to be immense" he tried to say coolly to the man.

The two women that accompanied them were just as eager and anxious as he was. Stopping to a halt, Myles scanned the immediate area for hostiles with his carbine as he collected his thoughts.

[member="Rikard Tetalar"] [member="Jessica Rye"] [member="Xzara Vox"] [member="Mathas Cavyr"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom