Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private What a Relief

Montitia
Alicio hadn't realized how much he missed the simplicity of refugee work.

Not that it was technically uncomplicated. The logistics of moving displaced peoples to livable situations would always be an incomprehensible puzzle, one that he and those working with him would try their best to solve. No, he meant moral simplicity. There was no hiding, no gathering intel, no traps to spring.

So he was glad to be doing it again, and on a scale he could never have done as the Crown Liason of Sanctuary City. Helping the Epicanthix find a new home, giving a people hope again after tragedy... it was his calling.

The Count looked over the shoulder of his shuttle's pilot, taking in Montitia. It's two mega-cities could be seen from orbit, pushed apart by unpopulated land. "Thank you for the smooth trip," he said to the pilot, before turning and addressing a well-dressed Chiss man. "Orso, would you please let Senator Provost know we're en route?"

"Yes, Senator." Orso nodded sharply, tapping away at his datapad. Alicio turned his face back to the planet, a thoughtful frown pulling the corners of his mouth down.

It was a change from their recent conversations, but a worthy one.

- Sonya Provost Sonya Provost -

Last edited:
XlCKh9X.jpg

Montitia
Megacity West

Montitia was a world of dichotomies. Not only in the gap that separated the wealthy few from the poor masses, but in its very layout; The planet hosted two major population centers: Megacity East, and Megacity West (also known by their Aurebesh initials, Esk and Wesk, for brevity’s sake). The East was currently shrouded in the blanket of nightfall, but in the West, the day was still going strong. In the middle, a vast swathe of rural hinterland separated them, populated by scattered towns and villages.

Sonya liked to split her attention between Montitia and Coruscant as much as possible. Though Senatorial duties pulled her away from her homeworld, the fight was very much still going on here, as it was in the rest of the Alliance. Her people still faced the same struggles they had for generations, and they needed to know their Senator still counted herself among them.

“Senator Provost?” A voice brought her attention up from her desk. Her aide raised a datapad, the screen flashing a notification, “Senator Organa is here. Would you like me to-?”

“No. I’ll head out to meet them myself. Thank you,” Sonya gave the young woman an appreciative smile, before getting up and making for the landing pad that connected directly to the municipal tower. Special clearance was of course given to the Count’s shuttle to make landing here. Sonya patted down her dress, and straightened out her hair, before her gaze rose to the sky in wait for Alicio’s arrival.

Alicio's shuttle was quick to part through the sparse cloud cover over Megacity West, landing gear extending and wings furling as it perched upon the designated landing pad. The exit ramp hissed open, allowing the cloaked Alderaanian to disembark, along with his assistant.

The second before he saw Sonya waiting for him, Alicio found a happy, if tired, smile. When his eyes finally found her, he nodded, and stepped up to her, Orso hot on his tail.

"Sonya," he said, a new excitement coloring his tone. "Thank you for hosting us on Montitia." He bowed his head, before gesturing to the Chiss at his side. "This is Orso, my aide."

"Senator Provost." The blue-skinned man bowed just a bit deeper than Alicio, leaning into his accent to appear more proper. Alicio gave him a tight-lipped smile. Orso was always a bit stiff when he met new people.

"I know our meeting today is going to be a bit of a detour from previous conversations..." The Count started walking aside the Montitian, barely pausing for pleasantries, "But I'm eager to get started."

No backstabbing, no secrets... just honest work.

"Alicio. My pleasure," Sonya responded with a not-so-dissimilar smile, "Welcome to my home, such as it is." She gestured at the city surrounding them, where the streets and skies alike were thronged with traffic. From here Montitia looked like a poor reflection of Coruscant; The buildings weren't so much a shining silver as they were a dull grey. Their architecture was more rigid and brutalist. Efficiency over aesthetic, with the key exemption of bright, eye-catching signs and screens, most all displaying ads for corporations or their products.

"Lovely to meet you, Orso," She offered them both a slight dip in return, then spun around to start the walk back towards the municipal building, "Of course. If we only focused on one problem at a time, we'd barely get anything done," Sonya smirked wryly. Perhaps a more singular focus was recommended in other lines of work, but for them, gains were small, and new problems weren't going to just wait their turn.

They passed through an open office, filled with the din of clacking consoles and ringing comms. A staff member nearly bumped into them in a rush, apologizing profusely to the Count even as he continued on his path. "My personal office is just down here," Sonya turned down a short hall, and made for the door at the very end of it. Inside was a relatively modest study, with a desk in front of a large window overlooking the city. Two chairs sat on the opposite end for visitors, and a few others decorates the edges of the room, flanked by bookshelves and end tables. Sonya of course slid behind her desk, and gestured to the seats on the other side, "Talk to me about it. I'd like to hear it in your words, before we really get started."

"Such as it is," he repeated diplomatically, taking a moment to absorb the sights. Efficient, harsh lines and popping bright colors assaulted his eyes. If one wanted to know the values of a culture, one only needed to look as far as their infrastructure. Montitia's West City was a place of bare minimums and gaudy excess in equal measure. Alicio looked away quickly, so as not to offend with his growing discomfort.

As the three of them traveled into the governmental building, Alicio folded his hands behind his back. "If only our issues could take a number."

Suddenly, the Count stopped without looking ahead, miraculously avoiding a collision with a governmental worker. "Apologies," he said in return, not thinking further of it before they all traveled to Sonya's office.

Alicio and Orso both found seats, though the Count was markedly more relaxed than the Chiss.

"I'm sure you've heard of the destruction of Panatha," Alicio started, any hints of humor in his voice draining away. "The Eternal Empire destroyed the planet, leaving millions of refugees in need of homes."

"The Epicanthix leadership has expressed interest in joining the Galactic Alliance, so I've been working closely with Masters Valery and Kahlil Noble of the Jedi Order to find appropriate Alliance worlds. After a bit of research, we found a solid candidate in Canyon
. And since Canyon is in the Montitian Grant sector, it would fall under your jurisdiction."

Alicio twisted his lip. "The Epicanthix have offered aid in dealing with piracy in the system, in return for the sector hosting their new city." The Count gestured vaguely towards Sonya. "I'm asking for your help. To convince your people to help these potential allies find a home."

Last edited:
"If only our issues could take a number."

"That would certainly be convenient,"
Sonya quipped before they entered her office. Once the office din had muffled behind closed doors, she sighed, and got comfortable. The senator brush a lock of red hair aside, and locked her fingers together as the Count spoke. The mention of Panatha's terracide immediately sucked away any hint of a smile. A grim outcome, but the intent was clear right away. It was unsurprising that one of Alicio's reputation would find himself so invested in such a mission. "I see…"

Sonya's hands broke apart, one brushing against her lip in thought, "I would be more than happy to help in the endeavor, I want you to know," She paused, "But it might not be easy."

"I was elected to help usher my people into economic growth. To prosperity. A mission like this could be painted as… frivolous spending,"
Sonya frowned. Obviously helping the Panathan refugees was a worthwhile endeavor. But at this stage, many Montitians would likely be skeptical of their taxes going to aid a different people, when so much still needed to be done for them. "You said they'd be willing to help with piracy issues? That might be a good point to push. It has done little to help the Montitian market," After all, who would want to trade with a flyby world inhibited by potential space raiders? There were better opportunities out there.

"If you don't mind my asking, what do the Jedi have to do with all of this?"

"From what I understand," Alicio mused, folding his hands in his lap, "Canyon is a hotbed for pirates and smugglers, and a considerable drain to your system's wealth. These refugees come from a warrior culture, I have little doubt they could clear it. In addition, the elected representative of the Panathans has assured me that the Epicanthix plan to be rather self-sufficient, and are open to trade deals." The Count shrugged. "My hope would be that these three factors would slightly offset the cost of sponsorship."

Still, he nodded. "Perhaps even pay dividends in the future, if the piracy threat is dealt with. Your constituents might be more receptive if we phrase it as an investment, rather than charity." As much as that would pain him. He knew that would at least pique the interest of the strong corporate presence of the planet.

"If you don't mind my asking, what do the Jedi have to do with all of this?"

A fair question. Alicio's head tilted down. "As far as I'm aware, the New Jedi Order isn't officially involved. But Master Kahlil is from Panatha, and the husband of the Sword. Both have tied themselves closely to this endeavor, and I doubt working with two well-regarded Jedi Masters will go over too poorly with your people." Alicio had the sneaking suspicion it would have the opposite effect, in fact.

Sonya nodded along with each of the Count's points, "That would be best, I think. It's the narrative most likely to get everyone on board," Those interested in helping a displaced people would find their opinion unchanged, and those more skeptical might be swayed to see the potential payoff. "Do the Epicanthix intend to deal with these pirates on their own? I don't doubt their capability, but I hate to turn an already downtrodden group into… glorified mercenaries," For lack of a better term. A joint task force would perhaps make for a slightly harder sell, but it's not like Monitita hadn't made efforts to combat piracy in the past. The alternative felt like forcing these migrants to risk their lives just so they could have a place to live. "I'd be willing to offer assistance, if they would accept it. Start our relationship off on the right foot. With cooperation."

Alicio quickly explained the invovlement of the Nobles in this endeavor. A satisfactory enough reason, "I see. And you're right. In fact I think the more they can be involved with this endeavor, the better. If nothing else, I believe most common folk will see them as a beacon of righteousness, and by extension trustworthiness. It will lend some credibility to the movement."

It wasn't a narrative Alicio enjoyed. Just one that was convenient. One that would garner the most support with corporations more concerned with the credit sign than the Alliance's people.

The fact that he'd suggested it made him feel... guilty. Unclean.

He felt a bit more himself answering Sonya's next question. "Of course. The Panathans are proud, but not so proud to refuse help in battle, I imagine." Alicio's mouth twitched a smile. "I think that's an excellent foot forward."

As their talk shifted to the Nobles, Alicio couldn't keep his features from softening. They were friends, and in Valery's case, a dear friend. Even just invoking their names gave him some amount of peace. "If you wish it, I'm sure they would be happy to help. If they have the time." They certainly had a lot on their plates. "With the state of the galaxy how it is, the Jedi must be very busy."

"Good. It'll spare us all a needless debate on the merit of foolhardiness," Sonya smirked wryly. She preferred to keep her number of debates outside of the Senate Chamber to a minimum. Especially when they devolved into a competition on moral one-upmanship. They each had a lot more to gain from collaborative neighbors.

Talk of the Jedi got the Count to soften up. Sonya was already aware he was in a relationship with one, thanks to the regular updates of the paparazzi; Not to mention the fact that she had stopped by their wedding herself. Evidently, Alicio's relations with the Jedi extended beyond just his lover, "I don't need them running the press junket on nightly talk shows, or anything. Just a showing of support. A stamp of approval. However much they're willing and able to offer."

"You know these Jedi personally?"
Sonya pried, "You can vouch for them?" Not that Sword of the Jedi was a title lacking credibility, especially among the masses. But she wanted to hear a more personal take. A peek behind the curtain, of sorts.

Alicio took a moment to imagine the Nobles on a late night talk show. He accompanied the vision in his mind with an outward amused smirk, as he wondered just what mischief Vera could get away with while live on the Holonet. "I can get you in contact with them to discuss, but I have no doubt they'll do anything within reason to help."

Sonya's question about his familiarity with the Jedi Masters raised an alarm bell in Alicio's head. It felt reminiscent of a question he'd answered before, to curious, hungry politicians in Coruscanti dinner parties. He was... to put it mildly, more closely connected to the Jedi Order than most senators, perhaps even nearly on par with their Jedi Chancellor. He was likeable, well-connected, useful. Which meant people tried to use him.

But, of course, Sonya wasn't that way. She was trying to use him, because he'd offered himself to her. No shame in asking. After only a second of thought, the Count answered honestly. "Well... I haven't known Kahlil for long, only a few meetings, so I can't speak much to his character, but... Valery, I've known for a long time. Since before I became Senator of Alderaan." He tweaked a smile. How to describe Valery Noble?

"She's one of Amani and I's closest friends, and a... well, maybe not so far as a mentor to me. Maybe... more of a role-model. A confidant. She is... stalwart. Scorchingly determined, a trait that fuels both a burning ferocity I've rarely seen elsewhere... and an endlessly warm kindness."

"And if she's devoted herself to Kahlil Noble, I have no doubt he is just as exceptional. So... I vouch for them. Vehemently."
He had faith in the Nobles. That would be clear to see.

Sonya simply nodded. Even the bare minimum of effort on their part would, if nothing else, help legitimize the conversation. After that it was just a matter of taking that momentum and running with it.

Easier said than done, of course. But with the roadmap they had already laid out, Sonya was feeling increasingly confident in their chances. Even Montitia's stingiest corporatists would have a hard time disagreeing with the profit potential of cleaning pirates from their trade sector.

Sonya was currently more engaged with the Count's assessment of his Jedi allies. He spoke with familiarity, at least about one of them, painting a picture of the Sword's dichotomous, yet synergistic, qualities. There was little room for doubt in Alicio's words, "That's an impressive endorsement. Good to hear. And well-said," She smirked slightly, "Now it's just a matter of turning this idea into something submissible."

Then she turned unexpectedly sincere, "Thank you for bringing this to me, Alicio. We all win when we help each other," In this case, quite tangibly. Montitians and Panathans alike would reap the benefits of a prospective partnership. And the two Senators could take solace in a job well done. They had struck up a working relationship early on, but this was the first real policy change they could enact. The first real step towards a better future. Alicio's trust meant more than she would admit aloud.

Alicio nodded to Sonya, his measured countenance returning to him after a moment. "They'll help. Of course, the hardest part is going to be constructing legislature..." He smirked, resting his face against his hand, index finger pressing against his temple. "I've always had difficulty translating thoughts to paper, myself. So... I don't envy that."

"Thank you for bringing this to me, Alicio. We all win when we help each other,"

After a moment, the Count stood. He held out a hand to shake, a coy look on his face. "That's the idea of an Alliance, Senator. We have each others backs." Then, he met Sonya's sincerity with his own. "Still, thank you."

Silently, Orso also stood, offering a quiet bow and muttered thanks. Alicio nodded, feeling the meeting near it's end. "If there's anything I can do to help the process for you, besides getting you in contact with Masters Noble, let me know."

"Likewise," Sonya bemoaned, pinching her brow. Such was their lot. But it was a small price to pay, in the face of a chance to enact real change. She stood up, and shook the Count's hand, "I'm sure that would be news to some people," A sardonic smirk touched her lips again momentarily, before, "Of course."

Sonya offered an appreciative dip of her head to Orso, and another to Alicio, "Gladly. If things go smooth locally, then perhaps the opportunity for a bit of outside backing will rear its head," While the approval of a foreign senator might not have quite the same effect as the approval of a Jedi, it would at least show Montitians that they're not alone in their efforts anymore. Not in the Alliance. "Take care, Alicio. I'll keep you updated."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom