Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well rogue one is sexist now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Ike Qarmast

The Wayward of Clan Qarmast
I am fairly certain it "always was" and it is heavily anti trump thanks to the reshoots. The people saying not to see it said so.

Honestly I am certain if you try for it any movie could be called sexist. Die Hard is Sexist because in the book there are females and they were made males in the movie leaving the only female to have to be rescued.

To be fair there was a line in the Art book that suggested they wanted to show more females than usual for a Star Wars film and make the galaxy more representative. I don't think they did a great job of that.

Most of Jyn's dialogue seemed to get left on the cutting room floor and I can't think of a female rebel beyond Mon Mothma and Jyn in the film?

I recall more in the ROTJ Endor team than the scarrif assault.

honestly i'm more interested than the story than the ratio of X to evil Sith white male. this is more just whinnying.
would i like more women? yeah but if you saw Vader slaughter a corridor of female Rebels i can grantee it would be blasted as sexist.
if it was all female with them getting 99% of the lines they would still find something to complain about.

[member="Nico Minuro Ike"] who? the idiots on 4 chan, daily stormer and return of kings?
because those were the only ones i saw. and wit ROK that was 1 guy on about Mad Max. who some how became all men.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Raziel"]

I think they did a decent job with background diversity, it's in the major roles they failed. You've got Jyn, Mon Mothma with a few lines and... yep.

Followed by six other men in Rogue One, plus every member of the secondary character rebels that help out at Scarif, every bad guy, etc. etc. I realize the original movies do a poor job with this too, but consider that ANH came out FORTY years ago. In this regard, at least (and not many others) The Force Awakens did a much better job.

[member="Raziel"]

There were at least several female rebel pilots (the U-Wing and at least one X-Wing) but not many besides that. So maybe I should say they did better with background characters but definitely failed with the major characters.

Oh boy. Never mind that pretty much all the characters were equally underdeveloped...

I think the majority of people don't need to see themselves represented in a story to be able to enjoy it. The call to be inclusive assumes there's a systemic issue, and demands of the creators that they have to follow particular rules, stifle their creativity. What they end up is that the most important aspect of a character is what their gender is, or what their orientation is, or whatever else, these things have no bearing on the story or what that character's role is. It ends up with poorly thought out characters that perhaps advance the plot, but are not advanced by the plot themselves.

Funny, that this takes place in a bizarre universe with such diverse alien species and robots coexisting with humans.

BE-183 said:
I think the majority of people don't need to see themselves represented in a story to be able to enjoy it.
I agree, I loved Rogue One, but it's still something worth pointing out.

BE-183 said:
What they end up is that the most important aspect of a character is what their gender is, or what their orientation is, or whatever else, these things have no bearing on the story or what that character's role is.
Would it have made any difference for Bodhi to have been a woman? Or Baze? Or the sergeant? And yet the director and the studio chose not to. You're right that the gender shouldn't matter, but the fact that we still end up with movies in 2017 with ONE major female role is, I feel, indicative of a systemic problem.

Zara Lianna

Jedi Knight/Master/ Mother of three
[member="Middenface McNulty"] That's a bunch of BS. Liberals are doing this because they're trying to find something to harp about. Their mentality (Ik a few on here who are liberals and democrats but are smarter than this) is Oh, that's sexist! That's racist! Oh, well, you called the man white, you're sexist and racist.

Not being rude, just saying this isn't true. It's just an opinion piece.

BE-183 said:
Never mind that pretty much all the characters were equally underdeveloped.
A distinct lack of dialogue. Bouncing between locations so quickly for the first half of the film didn't leave much room for character growth. Especially as the entire final hour was the Scariff battle.

Don't get me wrong, really enjoyed the film, but it's okay to point out issues.

Viktoria Kess said:
[member="Middenface McNulty"] That's a bunch of BS. Liberals are doing this because they're trying to find something to harp about. Their mentality (Ik a few on here who are liberals and democrats but are smarter than this) is Oh, that's sexist! That's racist! Oh, well, you called the man white, you're sexist and racist.

Not being rude, just saying this isn't true. It's just an opinion piece.
Tagging "not being rude" or "not trying to offend" onto posts doesn't make them less rude or offensive by the way.

You could have said "I feel this complaint is unwarranted and comes from people who want to complain rather than actually having an issue"

No need to mention liberals or democrats. Just as GNA's comment was repugnant before being edited.

Keep it civil, or lose the right to discuss.

Do I need to say this again (@ the people who say it's sexist like the media and this video)

Shut up.

Just shut. up.

Everyone that thinks Rouge One is Sexist. Shut. Up.

It's. Star Wars.

SEXISM DOES NOT EXIST IN THE GOD DAMN EMPIRE NOR REBELLION.

My GOD, can people just... shut UP about this already?! ITS THE GOD DAMN GALAXY NOT PLANET EARTH! Not EVERYTHING has to FOLLOW Earth's laws. EARTH was a god damn ooga booga dinosaur or Molten Firey Rock or giant man eating dolphin era at that time. Since when in the hell did sexism can slip in?

It's gonna happen no matter what. Different star systems and galactic bodies have different laws. Can't these imbeciles understand this? Some areas have human rights that are atrocious while others have humans reigning supreme and everythings perfect for a human.

So why can't these idiots who called Rouge One Sexist just geti t already?

There was never any hints of it at all. I haven't seen any imperial officer doubting a woman at all. No. None of that.

Remember Governor Pryce? Minister Tua?

Try watching the cartoons reviewers. My god. They're canon.

[member="Raziel"] there were female troopers in ANH not that you could tell. at least female extra's in the armor.

stormtroopers-mtv-cribs-the-stormtroopers-edition-jpeg-132643.jpg

that is a woman in the middle.

still like i said i'm more interested in a story as opposed to a ratio. i dont need to see my self represented in a story to enjoy it.

but i thought it was more a face palm thing but this looks like it is going south so can we lock this before it dose?

I know this sounds pretentious, but I really do mean it: The best way to get something done is doing it yourself. So if you really care, go write those stories that feature more meaningful female dialogue yourself.

To put it in perspective, that is what has happened with the movies we see now. People actively went ahead and tried to defy the stereotypes. Rey is basically one big kark you to stereotypes. That counts for Rogue One's inclusion of multiple ethnicities as well.

A large portion of the younger generations care about this stuff and as they grow older and get more influence in industry, we will see even more change. :) In the mean time, divert your energy and outrage at other more important issues.

[member="Jen"]
its like that Bechdel text thing to me according to that Citizen Cane fails but 2 girls 1 cup passes.
so ANH only had 2 women in Mon Mothma and Leia but both of them were leaders in a rebellion and one became a leader of a galaxy.
the other had the best shot in the whole franchise. no kidding she's still the best shot to kill ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom