Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the New Enclave

I've been watching this particular thread unfold and opinions have been put out there and much to my relief drama has been avoided thus far save, for a few subtle remarks. I feel I need to explain myself for the understanding of some of you in case I've given off the wrong impression.

The Conclave Thread has clearly bothered a couple of people, this was never my intention. I originally asked for a show of activity within the Jedi of the Republic because I was not sure of the state of the Jedi and whether it was organized or not. It has since been stated that the faction discussed it all just this previous month and this I had no knowledge of, nor did anyone tell me before suggesting that I create a conclave to discuss In-Character the things we might want to change or work on. We had roughly ten members supporting the idea of a new Conclave and so feeling greatly encouraged, I started it, to which you see it progressing currently.

I need to repeat what my character has said in that very thread. I don't want to be on the Council, I don't want to lead, it doesn't suit my characters lifestyle and it doesn't suit my mentality around working beside others, not over them. That said, Veiere was called out in calling people together and not offering up his leadership to which he reluctantly agreed if it was the wish of the conclave. I still don't want the position.

My character has a long history in the Jedi Order but not on Chaos. My recent promotion was more so an (OOC) return to the Order yet of course I expected that I would be suspected of coming in and suddenly trying to change everything, the new guy appearing to try to take over and blah blah blah - this is exactly why I never planned to run things, I just wanted to see members of the Jedi come together and create something full and story-driven for this side of the Galactic Republic (Keeping in mind I knew nothing about these so called talks the previous month).

If I have in any way offended anyone, for that I apologize. The intentions were honestly pure in that it seemed there were a significant number of others backing me up in what I thought would be a great idea and inspire content and activity for our Jedi member-base. I have only wished to help in any way that I can and I've tried to be respectful of everyone involved, certainly left everything open for discussion and always been contactable via Personal Message; yet I cannot help but feel I have marred my position in this faction by the good that I've tried to do and for that I both regret and apologize for.

Veiere has taken a step back in the Conclave Thread, he will not assume any semblance of a leadership role. I plan to continue to work with both the Jedi of the Galactic Republic while building on my ties to those in the Silver Watch.

I would hope that any who I might have offended or frustrated would have the sense to see that I did not come here to screw things up or order anyone around; I was simply encouraged by the Role-pay I thought the majority of us were excited at the prospect for.

What comes from all of this is in the hands of the Admin and the Council members who I would hope would be working closely with them. A positive result and one that hopefully encompasses what everyone wants.

Further than that, I had no other ambition.

Regards,
Veiere Arenais,
aka
WolfMortum.

Progflaw99

A few thoughts, and observations.

I've been a writer for a very long time. I'm relatively new to this site, but I have been writing on other sites as well over the last 8+ years and picked up a few things along the way. As [member="Ylva Alfrún"] and [member="Zator Carr"] have mentioned, story is incredibly important. While I recognize that writers have a wide variety of reasons for writing here from just enjoying writing to "Wargaming", the underlying theme of a story is the driving force. What good is a book without a story? It becomes simply a report, or a stating of facts, and while that can be an effective means to discuss or analyze things, it fails miserably for those of us (whom I believe to be the majority) who enjoy telling a story, develop a character, or in general contribute to a well thought story arc. Truly, some of the posts I have seen here and elsewhere make me wonder why there was even a post at all, they're lazy, and do little more than state a few facts and then move on.

In fairness, that's a little harsh. Let me clarify. I am strongly against the idea of having an "Elite" as it were where people are told they can't do X or Y because "They suck at writing". What I find is that in the best communities we all work together to improve our writing and overall our quality rises. Quality writing drives others to write well in turn.

Now, as far as other things.

[member="Lady Kay"] mentioned that it would seem unreasonable for a writer to simply have to start as a padawan, and to an extent I agree. For people to start as children, as part of progression, can be frustrating and, simply put, uninteresting for many people. So I am in agreement, let people do what they want, within reason. Someone with no experience writing, may wish to start out as a padawan, but maybe not! Let them be whoever they want to be. Now as far as holding IC positions, it would seem to make sense that people who have a high quality posting history as well as having the IR time to hold such a position would be preferable over a new writer who may not have the experience. For example, a writer who writes exceptionally well may not have the time necessary for encouraging and promoting RP in the GR as a whole, and that I understand. In the same stroke, someone who has inordinate amounts of time yet typically posts 4 line replies may not be the best equipped to hold a position in the hierarchy IC.

Now, before I get crucified, I want to be absolutely clear I'm speaking in general terms here, I know so little about each and every one of you, that I don't want you to believe I am talking negatively about anyone. I think it's also important to note, that just because you aren't a 'Grand Master' or don't hold a seat on the council (Or whichever/ however the organization goes) doesn't mean you can't influence a story. That's really what we need to strive for here. While becoming a skilled and powerful Jedi can be rewarding and a perfectly reasonable goal, it shouldn't limit us as a group to what we can or can't contribute. Remember, the reason we're all here and not writing novels is because we want the interaction and the collaboration!

I'm not trying to say the GR as an organization should be one way or the other, but I do want to encourage us as fellow writers, like minded character creators, and generally creative people, to work together to weave the best story we can! I understand not being able to make long or mega posts, but try to spice it up a bit, add something about the surroundings, explain your character's feelings or thoughts. Develop a viable backstory. I'm just as guilty as anyone for copying a favorite character from a TV show or Movie, but find a way to make it your own! Have fun with it!

On that note, I think I'll end with a quote from one of my favorite people. Just remember guys, we're all here to have fun, to tell a story, to write... to CREATE! So let's create together as a team!

"Write it. Shoot it. Publish it. Crochet it, sauté it, whatever. MAKE."
- Joss Whedon

Ylva Alfrún

"Wolf Who Possess Hidden Knowledge"
[member="Veiere Arenais"]

Chill! You're all good man! :D

I obviously need to clear up a couple things, I think, so I'll just dump 'em. OOC, you're totally cool wanting to discuss/suggest/implement new changes and things like that. I give you thumbs up for that. My concern, which could have just been summarized in a sentence was getting sidetracked with self-imposed bureaucratic tasks that distracted from coordinating and writing stories as a group. Let's work on this place, but let's just be aware enough to not get stuck in that trap. :)

What I do when I come up with an idea that I want to talk about is I ask myself: "How does this add to the writing experience or community? And if it doesn't, does it detract from the writing experience or community?"
With all this, I think the answers to those two questions are simple: "This could add coordination and structure to the writing experience or community, and it doesn't detract from either of those."

That said, my notes on all this:

1) Let's totally get writers to run the Republic Jedi Order as a whole, (IC = Council, OOC = Faction Staff; the two don't really have to be one and the same like I asserted before) but not at the expense of actually writing. This means: Throw a couple people up to run a Council IC, but the focus ought to be planning and coordination of writing for the group, so let's make sure the people doing that are capable.

2) Ylva's going to grill people like crazy on all of this IC. So if I come off as a bit of a d***, don't worry, it's disconnected from the OOC, I swear. She's been around forever as an academic, and does not hesitate to share her views sternly. That's all. :D

3) Let's get you specifically on board to help with #1. You've said about a hundred times "I don't want power, I don't want power" yadda-yadda. But power was never offered, IC or OOC. Coordinating and planning stories doesn't provide you with authority OOC, and any Jedi is welcome to tell you off IC even as a Council member.
So, that being said, and given your obvious desire to help out the group in whatever way you can and promote good RP, plus the posts you've written that I've read, I'm going to suggest right now that you specifically be one of the people helping run all this.

I've got the Academy, I'll take another writer/character to help out there. You take the Council and the group can provide a couple other hands to help out just to be around for planning, communication, etc, and bam, we get to know each other and start writing as a group!
No need to even discuss leadership or anything; we'll stick with the NPC Grandmaster that can be used to augment writing and stories, but when we need to decide on something, we can just talk to each other and everyone else about it, rather than worry overmuch about who's "in charge" either OOC or IC.

What do you say?

I, for one, am glad you're writing with us here. Please forgive us snobby writers. Old habits die hard and your ideas are sound.

Kay and Ylva had both said some things I agree with. I have to say I've changed my mind and it should also extend to how decent a writer is and their work ethic and intention ooc. You clearly have those three in abundance.

I'm just saying, for story purposes, a knight and master council makes sense. Just because it was 'tradition'. I'd say we should do an OOC 'council' too for each major event, decision etc. That's where every writer can equally make their voices heard.

If we are gonna do this the 'right' way as I've talked about, I want to hear all of our opinions. Then we make choices based on what the writers want as a group, not just a handful of people.

[member="Lady Kay"] As far as GR things go, I don't have a problem with characters roleplaying as knight or master level FUs as long as it makes sense for them. I don't even know why a tag should matter in anything outside of some PvP event with another faction who may call you out. Like you, I always found it silly that an older FU character has to start at Padawan level, then grind their way up for a tag. Amnesia only works so many times. Suravi is pushing 400 years old, and was with the Jedi Order for the better part of a century before she walked away. I'm pretty sure she advanced a little more past force push and your basic saber twirls during her lifetime. As for my Jedi alt, I feel that Arisa is appropriately placed as a senior level Padawan. Maybe she'll just stay that way forever and become Grand Padawan, I dunno.

[member="Ylva Alfrún"] has done a good job with writing her character, even if she doesn't have a tag for it. I wouldn't be bothered with her sitting on the council.

[member="Veiere Arenais"] I never got the impression that you were trying to come in and take over. Since the new Enclave/Republic Order was setup by Mantic a while back, it was pretty quiet in here until very recently. So I can understand how you may have come in here with that mindset for reform. At this point in time, there is a council, but it's just been mostly empty because of the lack of Jedi.

Here's what I expect of council members. Helping out with each other's progression, recruiting new members, and keeping the Jedi Order running along by initiating and/or coordinating on threads. What I don't want happening is council members just sitting around issuing edicts and lording over the rest of the Order. (That is a staff privilege, and we don't want to share. :p) I don't think that scenario would unfold with our current crop of Jedi though, you all seem to be story focused, which is awesome.

@Everyone I'd like the council to be filled. For the moment, since we're so small, I think that 5 seats are good for now. 2 are currently occupied (NPC grandmaster, @Sheila), so that leaves 3 open slots for now. I'm fine with Knight level characters being on the council along with Masters. I'm going to do what I did for the open Supreme Chancellor spot and take some names for consideration. Then you all can decide among yourselves as writers who be the best fit for those slots, based on both IC factors, and OOC factors like the ability to cooperate with others. Treat it like a Knight/Master vote.

[member="Suravi Teigra"]

Considering the amount of Masters in that thread and the number of usual council members that being 9 there's enough to have a full council if only a temporary one. There is no reason as to not have a full council right now other than consolidating the IC power among a few individuals. Its better to go with the full council.

As for the NPC GM I have no problem with. IC wise Zator will kill or challenge the GM if he doesn't prove himself. Zator isn't one to deal with some passive tea drinker that doesn't get stuff done.

everyone starting as a padawan is board rules, if there is a problem with it try to convince Tef or do what most do when they are a higher rank to start. Transfer if you are coming from another board with a character that is not very hard and the admins are very welcoming.
FORCE USERS
  • All Force Users start out as an Apprentice or a Padawan.
  • Force User Ranks must be requested and displayed as one of your two official Rank Titles.*
  • Force User Ranks can only be approved by Staff.
Everybody since the boards inception has abided by these rules, no one is special and has a free pass on them. It isn't a technicality, it isn't something that should be ignored. If you want to get promoted do the work and get it

As for the conclave it has been.... a lovely copy and paste of the previous ones with infighting, insults and repeating the same things. I came expecting the promised something new and it was nothing new. Promote activity by handing out and giving positions of honor. Resurrect the army of light again to go to war against the sith, someone argues and wants to pound their chest, calls to unite and be jedi within the republic, to serve the light. It is the same as the rest of of the ones previously. It was a great way to try and spur activity and I won't fault that but it was also giving nothing new what was and has happened. We just had less inclusion making it a conclave solely for Republic members. We excluded the silver sanctum, the new jedi order, the jedi academy and it did very little to provide fresh ideas. Which is why when it was called a success I could snicker and leave before all of the chest pounding.

as for the mentality of killing to advance yourself... how very sith like and I will admit it is a new way to battle the darkside... cause if we all become sith then we technically do have unity.

[member="Suravi Teigra"]

Thank you for the compliment! ^_^

[member="Sheila"]

I must ask that you set aside your frustrations in your own addresses to us all. While the Conclave thread has certainly been interesting, there is no need to demonize us for participating in it.
Our actual planning for writing will not take place IC, it will be organized OOC, so this thread serves as a fun meet and greet (granted [member="Zator Carr"] made a rather...notable decision I don't feel was wise or consistent with the RP).
And don't worry about our insult-slinging, we're all having fun with it and well aware OOC of one another.

:)

After a few bumps in the road getting off the runway I'm excited to see what this group becomes!

I've got a couple things IC that are better discussed OOC, primarily a response to the Sith threat.
I feel it would be inconsistent with the Star Wars universe for the Jedi to not already be on the offensive in regards to the Sith, and the Republic realistically should be fighting to take back it's worlds, not simply dominion new ones.

But, I want us to work with Sith writers and factions OOC in creating our stories. The Sith Triumvirate is a more morally gray faction, so one we should actually look to work with IC, rather than against. A quick discussion with their leadership should confirm/deny that.

Another thing I feel it is important for us to craft is the overall mentality and philosophy of our incarnation of the Jedi. For instance, how we view non Jedi philosophies, like the Sith, etc.
I'm partial to drifting from the SW standard of "Jedi hate Sith." It's a tired story that ignores the stark reality that good and evil are a spectrum, not the sides of a coin.
I'd love to see us grow close with some Sith while remaining enemies of others, creating an interesting dichotomy.
Honest analysis of the various philosophies on the Force would be a welcome change, particularly as part of a shifting culture of Jedi, rather than merely replicating the Jedi of the prequels or the EU books.

[member="Sheila"]
[member="Ali Hadrix"]

It's all Ic. If you can't handle Ic actions because of OOC ambitions that's on you. Zator sees the current GM as complacent and useless. He would only kill the GM if he either

A. Refused the challenge to remove himself from his position.
B. Loses the challenge and then refuses to step down.

Other than that if the GM can prove himself Zator would be fine with him. As even when he killed the GM he wouldn't take the position simply hold a vote for a new one knowing the old one is gone.

Yes because the jedi have a long standing tradition of challenging each other to prove they are strong... wait that is the sith. But they have that thing where they use strength to enforce... and that is the sith. If you want a grandmaster pounding his chest I would suggest looking elsewhere as the grandmaster's personality was made to be a patient and focused person ot just another fool rushing and throwing the jedi at the sith. Because we have been trying to learn from the mistakes of the past three years and not burn the republic members out in battle after battle after battle with no end.

The jedi are for peace and harmony with the force not violence and chest beating.

[member="Sheila"]

No they dont. But see my character is a Vong and was once a Sith. He's seen this order floundering and a extremely passive Gm that has done nothing to help it. So he wants to put a more decisive one in charge.

If you're getting mad about Ic actions you should take a step back and reassess the situation this is a hobby. So just because it's not going your way or the way you envision IC is no reason to go around getting upset.

Now which one is it. Are you mad about the Ic actions because it's not what you wanted or are your OOC ambitions clouding your judgement?

Progflaw99

[member="Sheila"]

The division and animosity emanating from your perspective is one that drives me to frustration. Before we devolve to name calling and the like, I would like to speak towards the post you've made. Now, the "Rules" are clearly stated above, yes. I can see that. Everyone else can see that. Unless you're blind, and in that case I applaud your tenacity. (I do in fact know a writer who is legally blind and needs to use a screen reader to actually read posts.) That is not the issue at hand here, truly. If this were a board game, rules would be the end of it, no exceptions. However, I posit that this is in fact a growing community, and as communities grow, so do the dynamics with which we keep order over that community. Again, I do see the rules you've copied from the original post, and at this point in our dialogue those rules aren't directly being discussed.

As for your second statement. I have some words.

Sheila said:
Everybody since the boards inception has abided by these rules, no one is special and has a free pass on them. It isn't a technicality, it isn't something that should be ignored. If you want to get promoted do the work and get it

THIS ^ is the worst excuse for continuing to do things the same way, over and over and over. I have seen it time and time again, and personally heard it repeatedly. "Well this is the way it's always been done, so that's the way we're going to do it." That is single-handedly the most unintelligent statement I've ever heard, and don't you dare "Na-na-na-na-na, that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard!" me. There's a point where legalistic thinking like that sucks all the fun out of everything. I understand your frustration with the idea that "Newbies" could acquire the same rank/title you've had to work your behind off for in less, or little to no time... but that's the reality of time for you. We used to serve kings and queens for goodness sake. I don't see anyone still ascribing to that sort of system do you? Progress is hard, change is hard, transition is hard, but it's essential. As I said before, communities grow, and new dynamics are created.

Again, yes, it is in the rules, as you've said. Maybe you're right, it does need to be challenged, though not here. This thread has shifted significantly from its original purpose as a companion to the actual conclave thread, but I think it's brought to light some important challenges the "Galactic Republic" (Or us writers who would like to associate) that we will face not only as a faction, but as fellow writers. You're here, telling us this conclave was a joke, and that it wasn't a success. And to that I would like to state that our views of success must differ greatly. In the posts I've read, you appear to be overly concerned (Don't get me wrong, there are some important facets to factor in when discussing leadership roles, whichever form they take) about titles and status, while the rest of us (Seemingly the majority, from where I sit, which is admittedly on a small seat) seem to be very dedicated to the story and the progression of character and plot development. It is frustrating to sense hostility from a significant contributor such as yourself towards the progression of the faction. Times change, and the rules are there as guidelines to facilitate "fair" roleplay, just as in other media such as Dungeons and Dragons, or other home-brew and published systems, this just happens to be a more writing oriented form.

Rhetorical question, how many 'Jedi' factions are there? You mentioned a few, and there are more atop that I am sure. There are many factions who have varying views on what the order should be like, and they've decided this is not the way they want it. The attitude with which you have addressed the members of this thread, and those aspiring souls who do wish to be a part of this faction is also irritating as it seems by your words you would prefer to squash any talk of progression and rather regress to "The way things were or always have been" which as I've discussed is one of the most frustrating parts about the response you gave. To simply do something the way it has been done in the past, because of that fact, is folly, but I digress.

I have no personal stake in the Galactic Republic as a faction (As in, I seek no titles nor position), but I wanted to join it, to contribute, and to partake in a good, solid story and to collaborate with like minded individuals. All I have heard so far is your whining about how "It's not fair" to do it differently and I think we need to take into account that times have changed.

In a sense, maybe you're right, that particular rule may need adjustment (But that's neither here, nor there.), but it starts with recognizing that not all writers can be measured and governed by the same ruler.

At any rate, that about sums up my frustration with this OOC thread and in particular the dismissal and condescension exhibited by your last post. I'm not trying to gang up or choose sides, but this is just how I see it at this point. We're supposed to be working together at this, writing stories that we all find gratifying, not simply arguing over who gets what titles and who has more power over whom. The entire premise of forum roleplay is story progression and development, not stat calling, title grabbing/ position jostling. It's not wrong for a character to have ambitions, but when you confuse the ambitions of a character with an OOC need to control, that's one of the times this stops being fun and turns into counterproductivity. This is supposed to be FUN.

Ali Hadrix said:

After a few bumps in the road getting off the runway I'm excited to see what this group becomes!

I've got a couple things IC that are better discussed OOC, primarily a response to the Sith threat.
I feel it would be inconsistent with the Star Wars universe for the Jedi to not already be on the offensive in regards to the Sith, and the Republic realistically should be fighting to take back it's worlds, not simply dominion new ones.

But, I want us to work with Sith writers and factions OOC in creating our stories. The Sith Triumvirate is a more morally gray faction, so one we should actually look to work with IC, rather than against. A quick discussion with their leadership should confirm/deny that.

Another thing I feel it is important for us to craft is the overall mentality and philosophy of our incarnation of the Jedi. For instance, how we view non Jedi philosophies, like the Sith, etc.
I'm partial to drifting from the SW standard of "Jedi hate Sith." It's a tired story that ignores the stark reality that good and evil are a spectrum, not the sides of a coin.
I'd love to see us grow close with some Sith while remaining enemies of others, creating an interesting dichotomy.
Honest analysis of the various philosophies on the Force would be a welcome change, particularly as part of a shifting culture of Jedi, rather than merely replicating the Jedi of the prequels or the EU books.
THIS ^ lets talk more about these type of things

[member="Ali Hadrix"] What else do you have in mind? I like the sound of these things

To everyone concerned, I apologize but again I have been reluctant to respond to this thread for the sake of instigating any further negative discussion. I can safely say that the frustration that some of you are feeling from the spearheading of this thread by one or two figures trying to halt the progress and participation of multiple members of the Jedi side to the faction is a mutual feeling. I had hoped that given how quiet things had been, that with all the lack of action by the "current Council" and the flooding of new members back to the Republic at the suggestion of reform would show that there was a need and a shared wish for changes to go ahead.

[member="Suravi Teigra"], the biggest issue I have seen so far is that the 'Grandmaster' is being played as completely negligent of any needs of the Jedi Order In-Character and furthermore being used to speak against the thread and members who are trying to see something good come from it all. I would like to see the NPC given over to strictly the Admin of the Faction so that it can not be used as one players crutch against other members of the faction out of pure disagreement and spite for things not going their way. This will mean that the Admin will be directly involved with the Council (the group of members running the show on the Jedi end). It will allow for collaboration between the two sides and ensure that the Faction has the final say ultimately, but most importantly unbiased and fairly.

The Conclave thread has gotten to the point where I'm sitting here reading it and just scratching my head, the discussion is going around in circles for the sake of trying to justify and change the minds of others, some who just aren't looking to contribute or do anything one way or another, pure and simple. At the beginning of it all, it all seemed rather straight forward on the OOC side of things, but I suppose that's because those who were opposed to the idea of it all chose not to voice their concerns until the IC side of things came into play.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the answer is here now. I would love to see everyone happily working together and RP'ing together rather than bickering and arguing on the ooc end which is meant in my opinion, only for the organization of faction events and RP planning. There has been a lot of brilliant contributions to the Conclave and a lot of questionable ones. Seeing that there was an obvious need to adhere to the rank of Jedi Master, yes I admit that while it suited my character, I intentionally pulled him back a few steps for the sake of OOC promise. It's something I rarely do, mixing the two but I did it in the hope of keeping everyone happy, a compromise if you will.

While the forum remains open for endless discussion and debate, I wanted the Jedi Council to be filled and that said members, however many they were, whether five or nine, see to everything else being put into place outside of the meeting (Council numbers don't matter to me as long as the ball's rolling). I understand that because the Conclave thread was started, that some members may have put the responsibility on me to control and mediate how things would move and if I have disappointed any of you, I apologize once more but that is not how I work. Things have always worked the best when discussions have been open and honest and those talking have been mature enough to rationalize and reason with one another. I get that it seems like an idealist perspective but that's what I'd hoped to happen here.

Sooner or later I feel there will need to be some contribution from the Faction Admin, not for the sake of who's right and who's wrong but rather to hear what the head of the faction would like to see come of the Conclave and of the Jedi overall. While yes we are sort of treating it like a sub-faction, it isn't that and it would be paramount that we ensure everyone remains on point for the sake of progress as a whole. In fact...-This may sound bad to some of you but I feel that looking over all that has happened recently, perhaps it's better that the Faction admin make the final choice on the members of the Jedi Council. We all have our own opinions and all have our suggestions but at the end of the day if the Faction is to move on ahead smoothly then it's the Admin who will need to know that those maintaining the Jedi are moving in the right direction.

Beyond this, I might only be repeating myself. I do not like to choose certain members above others or prioritize one writer before the next; the fact is that I have not spent enough time among many of you to know for my own opinion who's better placed to help organize things. Those that do not become members of the Council will not miss out, this I am absolutely certain of as I plan to be among them. These latest rebellions and the influx of threads that I personally have acquired over the space of two weeks has gotten way over top of what I can normally handle, never is a Jedi's presence not required on Chaos :p

TL;DR: End the conclave thread with the Faction admin having the final say on the Jedi Council, take control of the grandmaster and do not allow simply any member to use it, regardless of their attitudes. All of us are prepared to move things ahead and [member="Cyril Grayson"] has already got many of us out holocron hunting. Throw out some faction threads for groups of us to partake in and really drive the In-Character story-telling forward, it's our sole reason for being here after-all.

These are my thoughts currently, whether you might agree or disagree, they are where I stand on the current wave of things. I hope that for some of you, it might be beneficial. If not, well that is why we should all be working together and not leaving the organization up to one person...

[member="Sochi Ru"]

Oh goodness, lemme tell ya girl.

Just to touch on the topic of the Council and Masters and yadda-yadda:

These positions hold literally no IC power or advantage.

It does not matter who's on the council, what rank they are, etc. We've had a Council fade in and out of relevance for ages, and we've still organized and conducted dominion threads, wiped out Vong Firebreathers on Mimban, participated in two Rebellions, a dozen invasion in the last year, the list goes on.

This Council has no affect on our RP except to distract us from RP'ing.

Like now, in this thread. In the Conclave thread.

So this is my quick proposal just to settle that:

1) Grandmaster: Keep it an NPC, [member=Suravi Teigra]'s Samuel L. Jackson, because it doesn't matter soooooo much. We then proceed to literally never include this character in anything. The Order's Grandmaster becomes an ethereal legend, which is what a Grandmaster realistically would be. How many Jedi of the Old Republic do you think sat around talking to Yoda on any given day? About as many as spent time with Palpatine.

2) Discuss and decide on new stories as a group: This is the only OOC power we need, and we do not need IC vessels to express that power through as in Councils and the like.
EDIT: If you're going to write a council member, great! But only write what adds story. Your character's position as a council member is a part of that story, not a role of authority of any kind over other writers or of faction RP.

Now that the GM issue is taken care of, we move on to answer Sochi's question:

The Lodge of the Republic
(Or "The Jedi Fellowship of the Republic" because "Jedi Order" is tired, and who cares?)

Before we can decide what we believe, we have to know who we'll want to interact with positively, negatively, and neutrally, as this will inform us of what our Lodge must believe in to make those interactions possible.

Essentially: How many different character types do we want to get along with, and how many do we want to oppose?

I personally would advocate for as wide a range as possible. We want to make more friends than enemies. That means pulling the proverbial stick out of our bums as a group.

Most importantly: The following is intended as a jumping off point so we can productively discuss what our Jedi Order's philosophy is going to be. Once we have established this set of beliefs, we need to ensure that our characters and the characters of people who join us are consistent with these beliefs.
We must also ensure that how we represent our characters remains consistent as well. I.e. if your character goes on a killing spree as part of their own story, we're going to denounce your character.

Ali's List of People We Should Love or Hate
(As characters, not writers; we love all the writers)

HATE

1) Any character (not group, but character) that has engaged in genocide. That includes Jedi characters, those who ascribe to the "Light Side," etc. Kyp Durron ought to have been executed for his crimes. There are some things you just can't come back from as far as society is concerned. To ignore that reality is absurd if you hope to maintain the Lodge's image as a positive force in the Republic and greater Galactic Society.
LOVE

1) Basically, everyone else. :)

2) People who have killed in anger (like, one person, not entire groups, jesus). A character who has committed murder, yet shown true repentance and served their time. By "serving your time" I don't mean "You wrote a post about feeling bad for what you did." I mean, "Turned yourself over to the authorities, were tried and sentenced and just got out of prison, or off a penal colony, or whatever."

3) Characters who have strayed from their prescribed path, or those seeking a better life.

4) Drug addicts.

5) Sith: Yes, Sith. Being "Sith" by label does not make you evil. I can't tell you all how many "Jedi" characters I've seen flip back and forth between "Hateful Emo Sith Slayer" and "Somber Regretful Jedi Who Laments the Headstones of the Infants They Murdered." These are exceptions to the rule. They are clearly incompatible with the Jedi way.

Ali's List of Things That Jedi Writers Should Be Talking About

Speaking of judging people, it might be nice to sort out what we're going to judge them for. Now, keep in mind, we're not judging them as people, we're judging their characters so we can appropriately gauge a response for our own in RP.

So here is a list of things we should talk about to form our sort of overall philosophy.

1) Is there a difference b/w killing and murder?

2) What are the responsibilities of the Lodge to the Republic? To the Galaxy? To the average citizen?

3) Do we judge non-Jedi philosophies for being non-Jedi, or do we judge them based on an informed understanding of their beliefs and practices?

4) How do we punish those amongst our ranks who break our laws?

These are good starting off points that we should expand on in order to decide what our Jedi group is going to think and support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom