Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Walk, Idiot, Walk

"You can't just do this." A clearly frustrated and very clearly upset voice called out from across the Group Captain's desk. "I've worked hard for that spot, you can't just take it away!"

"I can and I will, Officer Sheplin. Command— I… Am getting tired of your hotshot renegade attitude that keeps putting lives at stake with reckless abandon." The man calmly replied. Frea leaned over his desk and he slowly rose to tower over her in response and to defuse any attempt at something stupid. "When orders are issued there are no arguments to be had, there is only getting in line and staying in line. Something that my predecessor was far too lenient with."

Her nose was positively wrinkled by the time the last word had parted his lips. Frea's own lips pursed and pushed until they threatened to rip her face from her head all by itself. She was pissed off and there was absolutely no denying it, her pride was under attack and the collective efforts she had put into the squadron for the last seven years were burnt to a cinder right before her very own eyes and it hurt.

She grabbed the paperwork on the desk without so much as taking her eyes off of the man before she stormed out of the building with a huff. Frea had half a mind to burn them up sooner than sign it, but a dishonorable discharge wasn't something that someone could just set fire to and think it fixed anything. If anything it just made it all the more worse.

That day had been a pretty steep low. Her father still to this day found it difficult to talk to her, and her sisters weren't much better at it if not worse. They were a military family through and through, so perhaps it was just right that the middle child was the one to do something so stupid as get a double-D in front of the man who had replaced a close family friend after retirement.

As a matter of fact, and while on the topic of 'stupid', it would seem that it was just more and more of that to come. From rigged circuits to a recent rather unwitting participation in a race meant to act as distraction for some sort of heist or theft or something. It reeked of high hell when Frea had been granted a bag with some neat force-doodad that made her queasy to run circumference with, but once it had turned out that she had been used, well…

It wasn't the first bridge burned in recent months. She might have dropped out of the academy, ramped up her habit of risking life for the excitement of near-death to a somewhat more regular basis these days, but that didn't mean that the lessons which had been imprinted upon her since her childhood would just go away. The Group Captain had disintegrated her records, not her pride and principles.

And so, here she was. The entrance to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant seemed far more intense from up close like this. Maybe it was the statues, or maybe it was the fact that she carried a bunch of stolen holocrons that a padawan had been convinced to steal for a chance at some clout in the local circuits. Either way, Frea approached what she assumed to be the front desk of this place. If religious institutions even had those. They probably had altars and stuff, this positively looked like some sort of mixture of both.

"Hello." She began and wasted no time pouring out the contents of her bag in front of the Keshian seated by what in actuality was a coffee table in the big entrance hall. The small assortment of magazines should perhaps have given that much away. "Found some stuff that was yours and figured I would, ah, return it."

05301-C57-CA89-4-B4-F-9-FA1-7797-ED6670-C1.png

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link
Weapons: Lightsaber
Tag: Frea Sheplin Frea Sheplin

Several looks of concern from Padawans and Knights completely went over her head while she sat alone at a small table and just stared down at her cup of tea. Her life had been hectic, ranging from problems in her personal life to the war demanding her to travel from one battle to another constantly without rest. The few things that always helped her push through were either absent or part of the problems now.

The only exception was Vera, but she was somehow busy now as well because of her youngling training. Right now though, Valery was just waiting for her to finish up her lightsaber class before she'd take her home for dinner and some family time. But tomorrow, she'd already be heading out again, this time to the Enclave to help them in their fight against the Sith Order that was ravaging its way through the Outer Rim.

More war and even less time for the people she loved.

"Hello."

Valery blinked and snapped out of her miserable thoughts to look up at a woman. She wasted no time and dumped a bunch of items on the table, which got Valery to quickly relocate her teacup. "Hey, careful!" she grumbled but a second later, she realized what Frea Sheplin Frea Sheplin had dropped in front of her.

Holocrons? A couple of them as well.

"Wait- how did you get these? And who are you?" She asked, having never seen the woman before.

"My name is Isabella, on account of my great-grandmother, who is also named Isabella." Frea lied. "Just a whole bunch of Isabellas, and as for how I got them, uh, we're on a need to know basis, lady. And I don't think you need to know." Frea said rather sheepishly and rubbed at the back of her head for a moment. "You have them, the circuit on forty-second does not, and nobody will ever speak of this ever again."

The spacer girl's eyes began to wander around the entrance hall. It was big, positively huge, an absolute unit of sizeable sizes. A bit tacky in the whole 'we are above you' kind of way that Jedi unknowingly (or perhaps in some cases knowingly) put on. Frea cleared her throat and pointed over her shoulder.

"Had to rough up one of yours to get these. You know, one of the young ones old enough to venture outside the temple. Alone." She said and looked back at the young teenager who seemed to hide behind a nearby pillar once he had noticed just exactly who it was that Frea was turning him in to. The white-haired girl gave him an incredulous look before she turned back around to give Valery a confused look.

"Funny, he was a lot more forthcoming just a few seconds ago." She mumbled and raised her voice. "Something about as long as it was not 'Aeris' or something." She shrugged and clapped her hands together for a job well done. Another day where justice prevailed and all that. "Well, it's your problem now I suppose." Frea shrugged and pointed over towards the exit. "I'll see myself ou-"

"Sh- she made me do it, Master Noble, I swear!"
The teenager blurted as he slowly stumbled his way over. "Said I was going to be allowed participate in one the races at least once if I did."

"You! — WHAT?" Frea froze on the spot and quickly turned around to face them both. "I most certainly did NOT."

"She did! And she has done it before to others too, probably!"

NJO Temple
div-orange.png

Everything about this situation was confusing, and Valery found it difficult to believe a single word 'Isabella' said. But at the same time, she also just returned some priceless artifacts that Aeris was undoubtedly going to want to see returned. Valery just sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose for a moment — this was the last thing she wanted to deal with right now. She was exhausted, and frustrated, and felt like her head could explode.

But she could never rest.

"Had to rough up one of yours to get these. You know, one of the young ones old enough to venture outside the temple. Alone."

That drew Valery's attention back up, and she followed the woman's gesture to the Padawan who was hiding, "Why would..." she didn't finish her question, as the Padawan stumbled his way over and began to blame Frea. Valery raised an eyebrow and looked between the two, her exhaustion about this situation growing with the second.

"I most certainly did NOT."

"She did! And she has done it before to others too, probably!"

Valery sighed and turned away from her tea to stand up and look at them both, "I think it might be a good idea for you both to come with me," Valery said while she gauged their reactions with her eyes and through the Force. "I have no time for these strange arguments, so we'll take it all inside and get it sorted out."

Valery Noble Valery Noble

The sheer audacity of this kid, this insolent little chit. Frea looked him up and down with her mouth hung ajar unable to even comprehend how dumb he was. It was a lot like looking in the mirror of a much younger version of herself, but Frea had learned from those lessons whereas this kid was cruisin' down the road for a proper bruisin'.

"Of course, anything you say if it helps put this criminal away, Master Noble." The teen pouted as the master looked at him, before blowing a silent raspberry at Frea. "Her name is Frea. She—"

"Likes to race bikes, yes."
Frea admitted with a groan and followed along, really not being in the vibe for this. "At least I am not some dumbass, disgrace-to-his faith nobody, who would—"

It truly was like having two siblings bicker at each other as they followed behind Valery into a room of their own to spare the rest of the temple the commotion. The doors closed and the sound seemed to die almost immediately. Whatever they padded these walls with it was the good stuff.

"Steal… A whole bunch of…"
Frea slowly came to a halt, both physically and verbally. "Woah. You could kill a man in here and nobody would be any the wiser."

Internally, the count had begun. Some of the more advanced training went over the ways that a soldier could stave off mental probes if not outright prevent them depending on the ability of the intruder. You had to keep your mind busy with something else, something less interesting than your true intentions.

Five and six, double down. Odds are in favor.

Four and seven, double down. Odds are in favor.

Two and one, fold. Success improbable.

NJO Temple
div-orange.png

"Can you both please be quiet?" Valery asked with furrowed brows as they continued their bickering along the entire way to the room she wanted to use to settle this situation. Everything they said was registered, but she had a feeling that most of it wasn't important whatsoever. All she cared about was finding out who had taken the holocrons, how they had done it, and what had happened to have brought these two here to return them.

None of this really made sense to her yet.

The doors then closed and the comment Frea made was answered only with an arched eyebrow. "Right..." she commented before gesturing at some chairs if they wanted to sit down. Valery remained standing, though, and looked between them both with a serious expression.

"Let's start at the beginning. Who took these holocrons and why?" she demanded with her senses sharp. Some people were good at keeping lies concealed, but she was similarly skilled at piercing through them. And well, if the answers weren't satisfying, they weren't going to be able to leave this place.

One way or another, her questions were going to get answered.

The room went from a silent quiet to a loud quiet, the kind of quiet that presses upon your ear drums and makes you swear someone put a lid over them. Frea could feel the presence of the two Jedi impose upon her, push their air of authority and righteousness. Or rather, one of them did. The second that Valery's question reached either part of her captive audience, they both raised their hands in unison to point at each other and upon realizing it gave each other another dose of stink eye.

"Fine." Frea sighed. "Ma'am, I have no idea what these things are beyond the fact that they make me nauseous whenever I am around them."

The kid found no clever rebuttal to that.

"These were the blue ones, but the others were red." And that's the truth. "These were boxes, the others were pyramids."

The kid remained suspiciously quiet.

"And if my time in—..." Frea stopped herself and groaned with a reluctant eyeroll. She really did not want to part with this information. "If my time in the defense forces taught me anything it's to never trust these… Things."

"Your people have a tendency of being unreliable whenever these things are involved."
She then raised her hand to point at the kid. "As your idiot here has clearly proved."

"I am not an idiot!" The kid growled and muttered. "We have like a hundred of these anyway."

Last edited:

NJO Temple
div-orange.png

"These were boxes, the others were pyramids."

Everything she said before that faded into the background, and she focused on it. Stolen holocrons were a problem, but they had also been returned so it wasn't the end of the world. But Sith holocrons were a different problem entirely. Their corrupted nature often made them lash out at those around the object, hoping to manipulate them in ways no ordinary holocron ever would or could.

"Well, you're lucky that you're both unharmed," Valery finally said after a moment. She chose to ignore the bickering again and looked between them. "The pyramids are Sith Holocrons, and unlike the Jedi Holocrons that make you nauseous, those can turn you completely insane if you're not able to shield yourself against them."

Valery then turned her eyes to the kid, "I'll be talking to your Master about this, or whoever is tasked to oversee you," she then continued. With Frea here, she wasn't going to scold the Padawan — this was to be handled privately. "As for you, I'd like you to tell me what happened to those Sith Holocrons if you know."

"It's important that they stay out of the wrong hands because they can do a lot of damage."

"Ma'am, I trust you will understand why I don't particularly care for what happened to the red ones." Frea spoke with a shrug before she crossed her arms. "The phrase, 'out of sight and out of mind' and all that."

"The forty-second street circuit is known for its eccentricities. Like, for example, that they aren't on forty-second street anymore since someone ratted them out." Frea let her attention set on the kid and then back to Valery. "Given the situation that brought these back to you, I would be surprised if they haven't faded and disappeared already."

"The pyramids— Or, the uhhh, Sith Holophones… Have most likely been widely distributed by now, and I can't help but wonder if that was entirely the plan." A free hand reached up to cup her chin. "They gave these up without much of a fuss at all now that I think about it."

"... Might even have expected me to do this."

"... Chit."

NJO Temple
div-orange.png

While she didn't care about the Sith Holocrons, Valery very much did, and it showed in the almost frustrated way she looked at Frea. It was almost impossible to understand how people could be this careless, and to think a Padawan had been intertwined in this mess was very worrying to her as well. But this still didn't feel like the right time to address that with him — she had to figure out what happened to those Sith Holocrons and-

"... Might even have expected me to do this."

"... Chit."

Valery raised an eyebrow and glanced down at the Holocrons on the table, "They used these as a distraction? Or what?" she asked, wanting clarification on what this whole plan could be about. Valery still had no idea who this group at 42nd street was, how all of this happened and where they were now, but she intended to find out one way or another.

"You have any idea how much damage this could cause?" She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, "If there's anything you can tell me that will actually help me solve this problem, do so now. This can't continue."

This whole 'doing the right thing' thing was turning into regret. Frea kept from sighing and groaning as the Jedi asked her to confirm what should already have been obvious by now. Maybe if they had been able to keep a bead on their own people this wouldn't have been a problem. Really, it spoke more of an organizational thing than anything, and when it came to fixing a religious institution… Well, Frea wasn't really all that interested.

"Lady, I run through the circuits, I don't organize them." Frea challenged Valery back. "The forty-seconds are notorious for their eccentric runs. Dangerous but lucrative. As far as I was concerned it was just another race. Makes sense if they have darker connections, force cult or not."

"Arguably, the young one here is the one you should be questioning rather than me. He is the one who actually met one of them and nearly managed a complete handover."
Frea turned around just in time to see the kid bolt for the door and out of it in panic. Innocent, in a way. Cracked under the pressure of mounting accusations, definitely. Shame, embarrassment, a load of emotions a teenager might struggle under.

Frea bolted after him too, but he was just… Somehow unnervingly fast. They got back into the great entrance again. Eyes set upon them, and with it, Frea's set on the exit. She came to a stop, but… Okay, what kind of person was she?

Technically this was a duty and do-right thing. Lives were at stake. All the usual collateral.

On the other hand, it was also a real palpable danger to her standing in the Coruscanti races. Rats never really prospered, and they more often than not ended up dead if anyone even had the inkling of a suspicion that they would say anything. She had already endangered herself by coming here, which was a mistake in and of itself. Greed was easier to sell than any virtue.

She got angry. With nothing better at hand she pulled her blaster from her hip and chucked it at the dumb kid who promptly fell to the ground with a slide.

"You're lucky that I have a soft spot for not being a total nerf herder, kid." She hissed as she approached him to kneel down next to him.

NJO Temple
div-orange.png

Valery pinched the bridge of her nose again and let out a soft sigh while she tried to mentally run through all of her options. This woman had already done a lot, and she couldn't exactly drag her along to try and find those other holocrons. But figuring this out with all the vague information thrown at her thus far would be quite difficult too.

However, it seemed the Padawan had more answers and...

He began to run.

"Padawan!" Valery called out after him, and much like Frea, she got up to go after the young boy. There was a good chance he'd get in some trouble, but the Jedi were often very forgiving, and his cooperation to fix the issue he likely created would go a long way. Of course, that did mean that she couldn't let him escape.

Turning into the hallway, Valery watched Frea draw her blaster, and for just a second, her eyes widened. But feeling no intent to kill from the woman, Valery decided against interfering, and just watched as she tossed the weapon to knock down the boy. "Ouch..." she muttered, and it definitely hurt the kid a little. But at least they'd be able to get what they needed from him now.

"Heyy, there's no reason to run," Valery assured him, as she made her approach and kneeled down as well. "Mistakes happen, but we do need to solve this problem, and I could use your help, alright?" she asked the boy, her tone suddenly very caring and almost motherly. "Please, if there's anything you can tell or show us that will help, do it." She then glanced up at Frea and dipped her head to show gratitude for how she 'captured' the young Padawan.

"As for you, I won't make you do anything, but I probably could use someone who is familiar with their usual territory if I have to go there. Your choice, though."

Frea grabbed the kid's hand and pulled him up to start to brush off some of the dust that had covered him from the slide. He didn't immediately appreciate it, but once he noticed that the others in the entrance began to turn away and go back to their usual business there was a moment of resignation. Not quite appreciation, she had still taunted and made fun of him after all, but perhaps something bordering on it.

The shame was evident in his posture and the ways his eyes refused to set on anything other than the ground.

"It just seemed so fun."
The padawan admitted and looked up at Valery, and only Valery. "And it just seemed like such an easy way to be like one of the watchmen."

Frea kept from making a comment even if she really wanted to. The kid hurt her pride and more than that accused her of something she had not done. Her fight reaction outweighed her flight instinct on a daily ratio. The Jedi might have to abide by a 'peace, love, and understanding' routine but she certainly didn't have to. That was the whole point of being a soldier in the Alliance army.

Her teeth grinded in disappointment, but it seemed the motherly act worked and Frea decided to shut up.

"I am already in danger from having come here. If I help you take down a whole circuit as well I will be making enemies out of groups that I most definitely do not want to make enemies of." Frea stated the fact. "And beyond that I will be a person non grata on Coruscant."

"You can see why I have my reservations, right?"
Frea crossed her arms. "I really just wanted to return these things. Those I can explain why I parted with, the takedowns I cannot."

NJO Temple
div-orange.png

While the boy's excuse was hardly a proper one, Valery placed a hand on his shoulder and offered a soft smile. These kinds of antics reminded her of her own younger years, so she understood where it came from. After training plenty of Padawans herself, she also knew better than to scold him in public, especially right after he finally dared open up to her. She'd talk to him later in private, likely together with his Master or whoever was overseeing his training.

They'd figure it out.

As for Frea, Valery understood the difficult situation the woman was in now, and couldn't help but feel bad for her. She likely didn't want any pity or apologies though, so Valery remained professional and dipped her head.

"I do understand, but isn't it as you say... you're already in trouble? If those people come after you, it's either fighting or running. But if you help me deal with them, you won't have to look over your shoulder wherever you go anymore." It was still possible that they wouldn't be able to find and take down everybody, but it was something she wanted Frea to consider.

"You'd also have me helping you, but if you don't help me, you'll be out there alone against those people." And judging by her reluctance to get herself in more trouble with them, she figured they were dangerous enough to be a serious problem. Something that would keep her up at night, and make it much harder to trust people around her.

"Your identity doesn't have to be tied to this case, and I don't care if you want to wear a mask or cover up. I just want someone who knows that part of the underworld."

Oh great, she was pushing for the 'You are already screwed' angle. Frea's brows rose to match the increasing attempts to pressure her into helping out. This was a rather predictable, wasn't it? As much as she understood the Good Cop angle, there was still the one thing.

"Over my shoulder in that sector, yeah." She chuckled in defiance. "But then word spreads to another circuit. From that circuit to the next, to the next, to the next, aaand the next."

"With all the due respect to someone of your, I assume, high stature — a child just managed to slip through your fingers."
Frea lifted her hand in a gentle shrug to look over her shoulder towards the exit. "I can sell this off as wanting to keep the heat off of the circuits. Easy peasy."

"If you really need my help, then I want something more concrete if I am to sell out all my friends and, by extension, kind of family."
The key was to make the other party say no. So, ludicrous counter-offer it was. "I want a bodyguard, a place in the temple to stay, and free access to the facilities if I am to stay. Along with free food since I couldn't really go around and buy anything without being at risk of getting killed and all that…"

"Maybe the occasional sponsored trip off-world to do what I love…"

NJO Temple
div-orange.png

"No."

It was likely the answer she wanted to hear, given the ridiculous requests, but it hardly mattered to Valery. She'd be able to track down the people she was after one way or another, but Fera would make it a lot easier if she cooperated. "If you consider the people who want you dead friends or even family, then this isn't going to work." Valery let out a soft sigh and stood up from her seat, both because she was ready to leave, but perhaps a little pressure would make the woman more reasonable.

"I can offer you protection and some food in return for helping, but this is not a hotel, and we're not sponsoring your vacations. If that's not enough or if you don't want to help, then I'm going to kindly request you to depart, so I can get to work and deal with these people myself."

Valery held out her hand towards the exit to see what she'd do.

"No no, they don't want me dead but they would want me dead IF I did help."
Her hands lifted in a shrug. "But alas, you said no, so…"

Well, technically the answer wasn't 'No' so much as 'We are not a hotel' which by itself would technically be a very reasonable response to someone that hadn't been looking for that sweet no. The door was pointed at and Frea took that as her time to skedaddle. As far as a Jedi's patience went and all that, she had worn out her welcome roughly… The second she deposited the holocrons before Valery Noble.

"Look, you have your protector thing going and all that, but I can't really give you anything to go off of here."
She stopped herself and cupped her chin with her hand. "Except, I mean," She shrugged yet again. "You guys have people like Kiffar that can do the… Touching thing."

"Should be at least something over around the office complex near Forty-Second and Forty-third? I'd start there."
Frea sighed. "Except, well, you know — I am not starting anything."

"Take care, chief."
She offered her final words before she left.

Her legs carried her backwards towards the exit before she turned around and began to truly leave. This thing was… A nightmare and a half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom