Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voluminians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoru Shakou

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xenoanthropological Case Study: Voluminians
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b0ee12cb-a597-4537-acb4-8b35b29d5b6f_zps5728bd12.png
Image credit: Endless Space
Trio of Voluminians, Two males and one female.
Voluminians at a Glance

Name: Voluminians
Designation: Sentient
Homeworld: Volumis
Homeworld Location: Galactic Companion Aurek - "Rishi Maze"
Language: Volumi
Average height of adults: 1.2192 meters
Skin color: Matte Grey

Hair color: No Hair
Breathes: Type I Atmosphere

In-depth Biological Study

Strengths:
  • Highly Intelligent
  • Poison and Toxin resistance
  • Limited telepathic abilities
  • Limited resistance to radiation

Weaknesses:
  • Frail figure
  • Avian like hollow skeletal structure
  • Feeble Warriors
  • Light Sensitivity

Distinctions:

• Matte Grey Skin
  • Large black, lidless eyes
  • Slender figure
  • Sensory organ flaps over mouth
  • Various skull structure including ridges and tribal makeup unique to an individual and their family

Average Lifespan: 100 - 200 Standard Years
Races: No distinct cultural races
Estimated Population: 7 - 10 Billion

Diet:

The Voluminians evolved from a herbivorous species. The structure of their jaws is unique, in that they resemble two flat, hard plates that are used to grind the otherwise hard and fibrous flora of their homeworld. This means that the species lacks formal teeth like other herbivorous species. Additionally, their digestive system resembles more of an avian than ungulate. Some individuals are even known to practice the use of gastroliths to further aid in their digestion.

However, the species has in the last few centuries shifted away from the conventional meal; finding that it consumes important time that could otherwise be spent on technological discovery and achievements. Due to this shifting opinion, the Voluminians have developed a form of sustenance that resembles small cubes of various colors. These cubes are designed to provide an individual of the species the needed daily nutritional intake.

Many of the native flora that the Voluminians had evolved to digest are highly toxin to some species. While the species have frail figures, they are surprisingly hardy and have developed a tolerance to many poisons and toxins, taking up to three times a normal dose to cause a noticeable effect or even death.

Communication:

While the Voluminians are capable of speech, though having difficult with many languages other their own native Volumi. Much of their communication is achieved through their mild telepathic ability, often using it to emphasis an idea, thought or feeling by sharing it with another Voluminian. This unique telepathic ability has its limited uses and while easily used with another Voluminian, it appears to have less of an effect on other species, possibly due to the differing structure of other species brains.

Cultural and Behavioral Analysis

Culture:

Voluminian Culture is focused on knowledge, discovery, study, learning, philosophy and exploring. They look at the galaxy as a vast puzzle whose secrets are worth revealing and solving. Much of what they have accomplished is focused on these endeavors. While these do garner the most focus, their culture also values the workers that allow such endeavors to continue. Builders, artisans, farmers and law makers each have their own places of honor in Voluminian society and culture.

Little else is seen as wasteful other than war, which they view as being forced upon the galaxy by the more violent and aggressive species. While they will defend themselves, much of their culture is focused upon and built through diplomacy and mutual cooperation with other species.

Technology level:

The Voluminians have developed a highly advanced society, whose technology is on par with many species in the galaxy, while also being advanced in comparison to other known species. They are capable of producing vessels that are hyperspace capable, as well as having access to advanced medical technologies including cloning.

General behavior:

Voluminians are Docile by nature, preferring to come to an agreement or an end with words and diplomacy rather than resorting to violence. This extends even to their view on the concept of war, seeing it as a momentary distraction from their work that is forced upon them by the more aggressive species of the Galaxy. They go out of their way to prevent any kind of conflict and even have gone so far as to develop defensive capabilities rather than military weapons. When conflict can not be entire avoided, the Voluminians turn to others to fight for them, using technology and allies to defend themselves.

Historical Account and Known Voluminians in the Galaxy

History:

The Voluminians evolved on Volumis over countless millenia ago. Their homeworld, which orbits around a Blue Star, was bathed in radiation, causing the rapid development and mutations seen through ages of evolution. Somehow the species managed to survive to sentience, using their wits and technology to defend themselves from the natural predatory fauna. Over the emerging years from their simple bands of migratory hunter gathers, they began to domesticate the predatory fauna. This would eventually lead to the extinction of predatory fauna on Volumis.

Much of the species history is marked by diplomatic relations and peaceful overtures to their neighbors. This peace has only broken into war a handful of times, each of which the Voluminians claimed victory through their superior defensive capabilities and their many alliances with varying neighboring species that were used as a mercenary front due to the Voluminians frail forms and their focus on the pursuit of knowledge. At one point in their history the species even contemplated the use of war droids, though this would lead to what became known as the Carver War, in which they lost an entire colonial world to these droids; after which point the Voluminians placed a quarantine to prevent other species from access to the now desolate and poisoned world.

Following their ever grow need for knowledge, study and learning, the Voluminians have deployed numerous scientific vessels to explore their own backyard in the Rishi Maze, as well as the other companion galaxies to the primary Galactic Disk. These vessels have even begun to make appearances in the Outer Rim Territories, though any contact with the species themselves or from them with others has been very limited.

Notable Player-Characters: None at this moment

End of Xenoanthropological Case Study
Intent:

Provide the site with a unique species whose origins are within the little known and vastly mysterious Rishi Maze, a rather underdeveloped companion galaxy to the main galactic disk. Additionally, by placing the species homeworld within the Rishi Maze, it aids in reducing the cluttering effect of multiple custom worlds on the already rapidly filling Galactic Map on the site.

Interesting concept. Very well-written. Very Kamino-ian, and I always liked those guys. There are, however, some things that need to be addressed.

1. We are not accepting Rishi Maze or any other companion galaxy submissions in any form, as per the rule of the Staff. You will need to change their origins. This point, unfortunately, is not up for discussion. There's plenty of room on the map for them.

2. I would like you to expand upon their culture to include the following:
  • Religion
  • The Force (Are they Force sensitive? If so how do they use the Force to further their lives? How do they view the Force? What is their opinion of other Force Users? Is their telepathic ability derived from the Force? etc...)
  • Family Life (Are they monogamous? Who's head of the household? How many children do they usually have? What are their customs for rearing their young? Expand upon your mention of tribal markings where they relate to the individual/family)
  • Societal Structure (Break down their hierarchy, perhaps touch upon societal laws and how they impact their daily lives)
  • Ecology (You mention the taming and eventual extinction of predatory fauna. This is a major impact of one race on the ecology of a planet. Expand upon how their culture affects the world around them. Do they terraform? Are they ecologically aware and trying to maintain a balance or have they simply overrun their home and turned it into a second Coruscant? Has their advancement in technology made them less or more concerned with the environment?)

3. You mention Light Sensitivity as a weakness yet I see no further mention of this or why anywhere in this sub. There are also mentions of sensory organs and different skull make-ups. Since the Voluminians are such unique creatures, I would suggest adding a biological section to this sub to further explain these race distinctions. Keep in mind you're creating a race that other people will be able to RP, all of these little details are pertinent to being able to properly write a Voluminian.

4. A few grammar/spelling mistakes that I noticed:

Much of their communication is achieved through their mild telepathic ability, often using it to emphasis an idea,
emphasize

When conflict can not be entire avoided, the Voluminians turn to others to fight for them, using technology and allies to defend themselves.
entirely

Following their ever grow need for knowledge, study and learning,
ever-growing

[member="Yoru Shakou"] Tag me when you're finished.

Yoru Shakou

Before I commit to the extensive edit (as I had enough difficulty get this done) I would like to ask for a clarification on point 1. I was told in the past that while a planet could not be submitted and placed in a companion galaxy, a species could be submitted that came from one of these companion galaxies. I understand that this could have changed during my time away from the site, however I would just like that clarification as it would require a write up for a homeworld as well.

[member="Quietus"]

[member="Yoru Shakou"]
Whilst you could make a species from the Rishi Maze but have them entirely exiled or emigrated, I do question why it’d be necessary.
The galaxy had 100 billion star systems, and I’m just not sure why a star system elsewhere has importance.

So yes, if you want to create a species exiled from the Rishi maze you can do so. However, [member="Quietus"] will be looking carefully at it to make sure there’s actually a legit reason from it rather than ‘because it’s cool’.

Yoru Shakou

Thank you for the clarification. For the moment I am going to request that this be archived until a later date so I can work on it and a homeworld submission in my own pace. Thank you.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
[member="Quietus"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom