Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Velok's Orbalisk Cleaver

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFm3MtH.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Velok
  • Affiliation: Velok
  • Model: N/A
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Unique
  • Material: Orbalisk chitin
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Sword
  • Size: Larve
  • Weight: Very Heavy
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Vibrogenerators
DESCRIPTION
Comparable to a classic Sith sword in function, Velok's cleaver is a brutal weapon designed to shear through or bash past armor plate. Velok carved it out of the shell of a large orbalisk using corusca-tipped tools. Orbalisks, an ancient alchemical creature, can withstand and absorb gigantic amounts of electrical current, and can repel the blade of a lightsaber. They also grow throughout their lives. Velok found a tough old one and ground down its shell into a weapon that suited him.

Strengths:
  • Lightsaber resistance on par with a decent midgrade Sith sword.
  • Can absorb lightning in quantity.
  • Advanced vibrogenerators and substantial weight allow it to shear through an awful lot with Velok's strength behind it.
  • Retains an amplified echo of the orbalisk's ability to feed on the Force: any Force-sensitive cut by the blade will feel slightly and temporarily weaker in the Force. A somewhat more powerful drain takes place if Velok kills a Force-sensitive with the cleaver. Any siphoned power can be saved up and used in emergencies, within reason, when Velok needs a second wind.
Weaknesses:
  • Very heavy for a weapon of its size. Definitely not suited for fencing or knife-fighting.
  • Lightsabers will notch the blade and may damage it with sustained contact, making it less unnaturally durable than a good Sith sword.
  • Force-null fields (ysalamiri, void stone) will permanently dissipate whatever energy the weapon has stored up.
  • A Dark Side presence makes the cleaver noticeable to Jedi senses, unless specially concealed by various means.

[member="Cairyn Midore"]

The Wook article has some vague and contradictory language early on, but later it indicates that the orbalisks could take a gigantic amount of electricity before death. As I understand it, and this is just my take - it's been ages since I read any of those books - orbalisks absorb a big chunk of electricity until the little critters just can't take it anymore. Then they die and release nasty toxins. Since this is a chunk of carapace, there's nothing here to die or release toxins. The electricity-drinking ability is comparable to your average Sith sword, if it's a balance concern - I literally just left the strength there from the template.

[member="Velok the Younger"]

Taking another look at the wiki page and I see what you mean. I don't think it's a balance concern - assuming you're not going to claim to be the second coming of Darth Bane (and as you pointed out, this is just the shell). As another user of Orbalisks, I truly like what you've done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom