Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Varas Keha

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKjxpfwjBtw

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: Make Thral more awesome.

• ​Image Credit: The Cat with Hands by Robert Morgan

• Canon: /

• Links: /
GENERAL INFORMATION

• Name: Varas Keha

• Designation: Sentient

• Homeworld: Thralhttp://starwarsrp.net/topic/114631-thral-a-death-worldresubmission/

• Language: Depends. None for the original form.

• Average Lifespan: 150 GSY

• Estimated Population: Rare

• Description: Their original form is highly reminiscent of slightly oversized house cats one might find in many a household all across the galaxy. Their fur colors and patterns, likewise, fall within this spectrum, thus easily misleading the uneducated observer. As a sentient species, they are fully capable of using this apparently innocent and – to some – even adorable appearance to deceive and manipulate potential targets.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION

• Breathes: Depends. Atmosphere I for the original form.

• Average height of adults: Depends. Around 0.5 m for the original form.

• Average length of adults: Depends. Around 1 m for the original form.

• Skin color: Depends. Black or gray for the original form.

• Hair color: Depends. The gamut of the earthy palette for the original form.

• Distinctions: The Varas Keha look utterly innocuous in their original form. Resembling large cats, the beasts look like an experiment gone wrong within the wild, dog-eat-dog world of Thral. Of course, this apparent weakness of body is merely another layer of deception these intelligent and careful creatures possess.

Instead of being hindered by it, the Varas Keha utilize their small frame and patterned furs to blend in with their environs while they are still young and untransformed. They hunt their victims in the night, capable of stalking unwitting prey both large and small for long distances and periods of time. They easily disappear in the thick jungles of Thral, slinking through the underbrush thanks to their unassuming stature.

A fully transformed Varas Keha, on the other hand, will behave just like a member of their assumed species, whether that’s milling about in open plains, breezing through the undercurrents of the sea, or sailing through the sky. Only another Varas Keha is capable of recognizing a fellow beast in their fleshy disguise, and even then only when they are in intimate proximity to each other.

• Races: /

• Strengths:
    Body thief: The Varas Keha can steal another species’ looks, traits, and behavior, bit by bit. Usually they will do this after they have killed their victim. Sometimes – seen in physical features especially – they will tear off limbs, skin, or furs off a living being. The latter is an incredibly painful experience, ordinarily enough to knock out even the toughest of creatures.
    Force thief: Though they are not naturally Force-sensitive, the Varas Keha are capable of stealing a minuscule amount of this ability should their chosen species also demonstrate this trait. Even if their target species were something extremely potent in the Force, like, say, Sith Purebloods, the maximum power they could achieve would be that of a padawan-level Force user.
    Stalker: Owing to their small bodies and patterned fur, the Varas Keha blend easily with jungles, swamps, and other environments with relatively dense foliage. In their original forms, they are rarely seen in open spaces such as steppes and deserts. Gray and black members of the species will sometimes be found high in the mountains, but even then mostly at night.

• Weaknesses:
    Squish: Their original form is small, weak, and unprotected. Young and untransformed Varas Keha make for laughably easy prey. On a planet where ten predators lurk around every corner, this poses a serious danger.
    Feeder: After they ‘steal’ a creature’s body part, they always consume the rest of the corpse, so as to erase every shred of evidence. Because Varas Keha are small, and nearly all of their victims are much larger, their feeding can take a lot of time. This period, as well as the digestion following after, make them more lethargic and inattentive, and thus exposed to attack.
    One-way ticket: While they are, technically, shapeshifters, the Varas Keha cannot do this more than once. The first time they consume and alter a part of themselves to their target species, they lock into that choice forever. After that, they may only fully transform into that species, and none other.
CULTURE

• Diet: Depends. Carnivorous for the original form.

• Communication: Depends. Growls for the original form.

• Technology level: Depends. None for the original form.

• Religion/Beliefs: None.

• General behavior: A young Varas Keha will generally pick their ‘victim’ very early in their life, and proceed to hunt down the members of its species for parts. Though cunning and stealth, the beast will gather and assume bits of their victims kill by kill, consuming the harvested body so as to leave no traces of its activity. The visual transformations always come first, so that the Varas Keha may assimilate itself as quickly as possible. The more complex inner workings of the species they are ‘stealing’ follow after, when the beast has already learned more about its new body. As this takes time and patience, it is rare to find a fully transformed creature before the age of 30, though not impossible.

Once a Varas Keha has assumed its victim species in totality, it can behave and use all its abilities as if it were of that species itself. The only exception to this is talent in the Force. While the beast may be able to ‘steal’ a small amount of this gift – this will usually manifest in their later years – a Varas Keha can never wield the Force with the full proficiency of a natural-born member of that species.

They spend most of their time hunting alone, coming together only for the purpose of mating. Varas Keha will only mate four or five times in their long life, and produce a single offspring. The ritual itself is taxing and complex, as it requires that the two beasts first adapt their bodies to each other. This is why a curious pattern has emerged over the course of their evolution on Thral – depending on which species they have assumed, different Varas Keha will return to different breeding grounds in the summer season. This aids them in finding appropriate mates, as there is only so much an individual creature can adapt.

Though they are physically capable of mating with the members of their assumed species, the offspring such a joining produces will always be a pure-blooded member of the assumed species.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION

Experiment VK-12-S03
Head researcher: Vehk Vyv-Eec, MSc, PhD. New Habat Universityhttp://starwarsrp.net/topic/107066-new-habat-university-varunda-ix/, Institute for Xenozoophysiology
Assistant researcher: Alessia Alma L’exor, MSc, PhD. University of Rudrighttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/University_of_Rudrig/Legends, Institute for Xenoanatomy
Assistant researcher: Sylvan Sothus, MSc, PhD. University of Kallahttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/University_of_Kalla, Institute for Analytical Chemistry

// Log 1-01 – 08:00 – 23/04/439

V: Recording the first log of this monumental undertaking are the speaker, Vehk Vyv-Eec of the New Habat University and the head of this experiment, along with my two assistants, Alessia Alma L’exor of the University of Rudrig, and Sylvan Sothus of the University of Kalla.
A: It’s an honor to be here, doctor Vyv-Eec. I’ve been looking forward to working with you for a long time.

V: The honor is all mine, Miss L’exor.
S: Doctor.
V: Excuse me?
S: She’s a doctor. Like me. We’re all doctors. I knew this was a bad idea.
V: Mister Sothus, please. We’re all coworkers here, and will be for a long time. I implore you to find within yourself a measure of tolerance.
S: I’ll try.
V: Well, I never! Is this truly the best Kalla could provide us? Seems more like they were eager to unload this loathsome man on my back.
A: Give him time. Umbarans aren’t the warmest of people.
V: Of course, of course. You’re right, miss L’exor. Shall we?
A: Gladly. This is Alessia L’exor, concluding the first log of VK-12-S03.

// End of log

// Log 2-16 – 22:43 – 24/05/441

V: Two years of intensive research and we’ve barely begun to scratch the surface – fascinating! The cells of the Kehus Varilis Vyvecensis seem to exhibit unnatural levels of pluripotency. What did you call it again, Sothus?
S: Sacs.
V: Yes, sacs! Simply fascinating. Myself and Sylvan Sothus have determined that there are abnormally large deposits of such cells in every organ of the body. One might almost classify them as tissue at this point, as they are so prevalent.
S: Well—
V: Of course, of course. I know I’m getting ahead of myself, as I do. But preliminary results all point in this direction. Pluripotency! Can you imagine? Whole tissues of cells just waiting for the right moment, for the perfect target— fascinating. I must confess myself utterly smitten with the Vyvecensis, Sothus.
S: I couldn’t tell.
V: Ah, but look at me go again. Excuse me while I check on our metrics with L’exor, Sylvan. Please, feel free.
S: Thanks.
silence
S: So. cough Sylvan Sothus speaking. My findings seem to support the pluripotent theory that Vehk’s got going. Talks a lot, says little, but he’s got the right brain for pyhs, no lying.
silence
S: Gotta give it to Alma though. Girl’s got stones, doing direct experiments on that thing. I mean, I know it’s sedated, but...
silence
S: I swear I—
V: Sylvan! I’m glad you’ve finished making your report already. Always so efficient, my boy.
S: I’m not—
V: L’exor is keeping with the schedule, spot on. Remarkable woman, no? How she keeps her hands in that thing all day, though, I’ll never know. Ha! Makes your skin crawl, eh?
S: ... a bit.
V: Well, that’s enough of that gloom and doom, Sylvan! A drink?
S: Mayb—

// End of log

// Log 2-43 – 10:24 – 17/06/441

V: Sothus is away for his brother’s wedding, so it’s only myself and L’exor for two weeks. Tell you the truth, I appreciate the quiet. Sylvan is a kind man – and an absolute expert in his field, of course – but he’s always so… ah. Encroaching on a man’s speech, you understand?
silence
V: Of course you don’t. You’re a damn recording machine. Well, at least Alma’s taking this seriously. That woman works around the clock – I don’t think I’ve seen her exit the lab in days! It’s a pleasure to have at least one professional coworker here.

// End of log

// Log 2-66 – 13:05 – 02/07/441

V: Sothus came back last week. His attitude has become even worse – the man hardly speaks to me! Unbelievable. When I offered him a drink two nights ago, he just stared at me, then laughed. Perhaps the wedding didn’t turn out like he wanted it to? I see no other explanation for his erratic behavior.
sigh
V: L’exor is excellent at her job, as usual. She’s been drowning me in results – I’m barely keeping up with her pace! She tells me she’s found some strange organs where many carbon-based species have their kidneys. Fascinating! I’m currently still working through Sothus’ backlog. Rather unfortunate, that – after completing his analysis with L’exor yesterday, he approached me in the evening and handed in his resignation from the project. Strange, strange man. I must thank my foresight for making them both sign an NDA agreement. This research is too important to be exposed to the general public. It is not yet time.

// End of log

// Log 2-85 – 17:58 – 12/09/441

V: I’ve come down with a flu. Me! Vehk Vyv-Eec, felled by a common flu! Unbelievable. I think mother may have been right in calling me old the other day. Bedridden as I am, I can only assist L’exor in reviewing research and comparing our results. My head begins pounding after a few hours, unfortunately, so I must lie down often. This is an absolute disaster! I feel that we are at the cusp of a great breakthrough with VK-12-S03.
cough
V: My respect for Alessia only grows. With Sothus’ departure, she’s taken it upon herself to go through his notes and observations. I couldn’t understand much – man has an atrocious writing, on top of everything else! – but she’s been working through it steadily for these past months. I know she’s picked up the cold as well, her speech was completely nasal when we talked earlier, but she denies it. Such dedication! Of course, hiding something so obvious from an expert in patophysiology is ever a futile effort! Hahaha—
coughing

// End of log

// Log 2-93 – 12:31 – 20/09/441

V: I’ve been feeling better, but L’exor’s gotten worse. Must be all the rest she forwent when she shouldered the work of three people. I’ve ordered her to take a few days off and sealed the lab where she works with the Vyvecensis specimen. I must admit I don’t have the nerve to observe the creature from up close. Alessia has provided me with helpful photographs and footage, however. If we’re ever done with this damn experiment, I will certainly invite her to work with me further – truly an accomplished scientist, that one.

// End of log

// Log 2-98 – 23:11 – 5/09/441

V: This is a disaster. L’exor has been sleeping for the last few days, and I realized I was missing some vital photographs needed for analysis of my recent findings. I unlocked the labs against my better judgment, and found them empty. Is it possible the Vyvecensis has escaped from its cage? This is a truly troubling development. I have resolved to inquire with L’exor first thing in the morning. She must have some idea of what could’ve happened.

// End of log

// Log 2-99 – 9:25 – 6/09/441

A: I must, unfortunately, terminate VK-12-S03. The head researcher, Vehk Vyv-Eec has explained to me this morning that the results have been unsatisfactory for the amount of work we have put in. In nearly three years, we only have a working theory, yet no tangible proof to put forth in the greater circles of xenobiology. It saddens me that such a long journey has brought us no closer to the truth about the species. It is with a heavy heart that I conclude this monumental undertaking.

It has been truly... fascinating.

// End of log

[member="Aver Brand"]

Once more I really enjoyed the narrative of the description, it made for a fun read!

Now onto the species itself.

If I am reading it correctly the species shapes itself by consuming parts of the target body and literally taking the shape of it for itself? Once it has shaped itself into a different species, can it change again to another species afterwards?

And seeing as they can actually take a portion of someone's force-sensitivity (which is slightly iffy, but with the midichlorians explanations of the first three movies acceptable) are they themselves force sensitive to one degree or another?

[member="Carach"]
  1. Yes. Vaguely scientifish explanation is in the History section – it's got a lot of pluripotent cells, which are basically cells that can differentiate into anything. So it picks another species, and then bit by bit 'analyzes' its genome and differentiates itself to fit the bill. Once all of the pluripotent tissue has differentiated, they can't change again. It's a one-way ticket, once in a lifetime thing. When it's done, it's done.
  2. Not really, no. And the portion they can take is super small. If they, say, picked a Sith Pureblood and ate enough of them to become 100% one, they'd still max out at crappy Padawan level – and that's from a species is that is basically as Force sensitive as it gets.

[member="Aver Brand"]

The fact that it is an one-way street is a pretty big limitation on its shape-shifting capabilities. Please add that to your weaknesses.

I also want you to separately note in the strengths that it can gain a measure of force sensitivity from this process. This isn't an ability that I have seen often if at all, so it deserves its own mention.

[member="Carach"]

Aver Brand said:
One-way ticket: While they are, technically, shapeshifters, the Varas Keha cannot do this more than once. The first time they consume and alter a part of themselves to their target species, they lock into that choice forever. After that, they may only fully transform into that species, and none other.

Aver Brand said:
Force thief: Though they are not naturally Force-sensitive, the Varas Keha are capable of stealing a minuscule amount of this ability should their chosen species also demonstrate this trait. Even if their target species were something extremely potent in the Force, like, say, Sith Purebloods, the maximum power they could achieve would be that of a padawan-level Force user.
Donesies.

[member="Aver Brand"]

A shapeshifting species that can only target a single species, need a lot of time to transform themselves into it and can't actually fully transform back into their original form?

In the scope of star wars that is extremely limited and I love the flavor of it all.

This gets my stamp, enjoy!

[member="Zeradias Mant"]

Aver Brand said:
Description: Their original form is highly reminiscent of slightly oversized house cats one might find in many a household all across the galaxy. Their fur colors and patterns, likewise, fall within this spectrum, thus easily misleading the uneducated observer. As a sentient species, they are fully capable of using this apparently innocent and – to some – even adorable appearance to deceive and manipulate potential targets.

Donesies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom