Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unspoken senators and suggestions

So, I was looking over this thread, http://starwarsrp.net/topic/79760-bill-ark-13579-equality-in-representation/ and while I think this bill is a good idea, or at least,a step in the right direction, I think someone Should mention that some species use the force for more than a 6th sense... like miralukans needing it to see the bills that pop up on their screens, or the notes that their advisers and assistants hand them.

Maybe this has been answered before, but is there a way for me to make a temporary npc senator to bring up things like this? Since I don't think y'all would be fine with me bullcrappin Vulps' way into the senate room, where he really shouldn't be, to offer such information, even if it's helpful.

[member="Vulpesen"] In this specific case, they could have an assistant/droid dictate things to them, and/or they could have a datapad that could recite text and simulate braille via haptic feedback. An easy accommodation for one of those rare instances.

Still seems a bit unfair to the miralukans. I wouldn't want to have to learn a whole new means of communication just to read documents. Not to mention, assistants telling them things keeps their ears away from present matters. And we haven't mentioned that getting to their seats would have to be done while essentially blinded. Then there's the whole thing of knowing that going to work means that you will be forced to remove one of your five senses.

With all this in mind, even if the bill is passed as is, I have zero expectations that it would realistically be done without these points being brought up.

[member="Suravi Teigra"]

[member="Khyros Sunblade"](since this is your bill i'm questioning)

[member="Vulpesen"] You wouldn't have to learn a whole new means of communication (braille is an option). Every FU, including myself, is going to be inconvenienced in some fashion, but it's not debilitating. When it comes to the Senate chamber, almost everything is discussed verbally. It's a small sacrifice for the opportunity to hold public office.

[member="Suravi Teigra"]

I guess that works. But still, it doesn't sit right with me... think of it this way... This is the equivalent of having your eyes surgically remove everytime you walk into that senate hall

As Suravi said, if that's the case, they can holoconference. If they miss the camaraderie, they can holoconference from a nearby location and join the other senators for the after party. We need to take into account the entire Senate body and the concern about the potential use of powers therein.

[member="Vulpesen"]

Looking at what I can find on Miralukans, I don't think they'd be able to 'read' from a normal screen anyway. The way I'm reading it, they'd be doing things in a force version of Daredevil sort of way.

That said, the above accommodations of braille, recitation by device or droid, and having assistants are all possible. As is the holoconferencing in.

Yes this is an issue, but in the knowledge that I'm crossing the nerd streams, I'm going to quote Spock. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one." This bill allows force-users to be present on a playing field that doesn't allow for force manipulation of other people. Inconveniencing some to allow for the whole of the Republics population to be represented is something I think is a livable solution.

That being said, thank you for bringing this to our attention! I hadn't thought of it.

Martika Varta

Senator, Umbara; Committee on Civics & Infrastruct
Without reading all the other comments, I'll simply note this:

I do not think accessibility for "disabled" persons is a juicy enough element for RP, so we can work on the assumption that species needing sensory assistance will be provided them or will provide them on their own, and that such assistance will maximize accommodation and comfort for the individual.

I'm certain the Miraluka, for instance, have long since developed their own ways of operating without sight.

He means without force sight too... which they have so the concern for the miralukan's is null and void as they have physical means of understanding a written lanugage... they also have assistants and numerous other ways of reading it just as translators are always ready for species that need them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom