Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unfinished Business

6797a219f49942e97f70439510be6757.jpg

The Imperial Palace
Avalonia, Dosuun

In reality, he could have taken the guards apart in two movements. The cybernetic arm could impale the faceplate of the Stormtrooper to his left, and his blade could cut the trooper to his right in half.

But Connor stood under the guard of the First Order soldiers and their rifles trained on him, and even stood in stun cuffs to make them feel at ease.

He was a wanted man in First Order space, so coming to the front door and asking to see the one known as Samka Derith was guaranteed to get attention. The journal of Harrison had charted his journey through the First Order and Knights Of Ren. He knew a few names and places, but he had only put a face to one. Kaalia Voldaren. Now, time for another.

Samka.

The hall was quiet as sunlight from Dosuun streamed in. Connor waited, ready to hear her side of the story and see what part the former Jedi played in his own downfall and failing as a Ren. It would help paint a bigger picture of whether the one Connor had respected would turn out to be a worthy ally, or a target to remove from his past.

Up over in the far side of the elegant hall, past the large black and crimson flags, there was movement and noise. The amber eyes of the Dark Sider glanced up and looked for what was to come with a cool and calm air about him.

[member="Samka Derith"]

"Pick up the pace, traitor," the Stormtrooper beside [member="Connor Harrison"] mumbled through his helmet, prodding the former Jedi with the end of his blaster.

Other than that and the three pairs of echoing footsteps, the hallway was silent which made the creaking of the double doors all the more potent as they opened ahead of the figures.

The sight within wasn't an overwhelming show of power. There were no platforms or thrones shrouded in darkness as one might have expected. Instead they had entered an art gallery. The troopers continued leading their prisoner further inside the gallery, setting a brisk march past numerous paintings, portraits and sculptures before coming to a halt before a small figure.

The profile of Samka Derith, Master of the Knights of Ren, cut an unassuming figure. Short in stature and petite in frame, she wore a higher class green dress tied around the waist while holding a small cream parasol in delicate fingers. She looked far from an agent of the Dark Side, instead passing for a young affluent member of society. But looks were deceiving. The girl made no effort to hide her aura from Connor, the Dark Side oozed out from her, strong, potent and cold. So very cold that the Stormtroopers at the side seemed about to shiver.

Likewise she could feel the Dark Side was stronger in Harrison than it had been when they'd worked together, she found it curious but her corrupted crimson eyes didn't yet give him the pleasure of acknowledgement. Instead they remained glued to a painting directly in front of her. The artwork portrayed a building, a temple of some kind, amongst sand dunes. It was engulfed in blue flame, in a state of collapse with figures desperately attempting to flee the scene.

"This is my favourite piece here," Samka's voice that familiar refined, strong but youthful tone. "I do so adore the way the colours blend together, blue flames among blue skies." She paused, her gaze falling down to a dying figure burning in the painting's distance. "I don't suppose you'd know the story here. It was little over two centuries ago, during the Galactic Dark Age. The plague hit us as hard as everyone else, the First Order and the Knights of Ren hid in the far flung corners of the galaxy, unable to reclaim our rightful position while incurable disease ravaged the galaxy but we were still there, preparing for the return. Unfortunately, when you exist in a vacuum so far from other civilisations, people can become... decadent, forgetful of their duties. Even the Knights of Ren. The Grandmaster during this era was a good, powerful man with such strength in the Dark Side he supposedly toppled two rebellions single handily. Unfortunately the rest of the Order was not so virtuous. Moral decadence afflicted the ranks. Selfishness and disloyalty flourished and the Ren began to commit acts considered criminal. They abused their power to indulge in personal pleasures. They became less than a shadow of what they were meant to be. So," Samka motioned to the picture with a flick of her wrist, "they all burned so we could start anew. The Grandmaster? Despite all that he offered, he burned too. What good is a Ren Master who cannot control his underlings?"

Samka turned away from the painting for the first time to look up Connor's figure. Her face crossed by a dark shadow and tone venomous as she continued, "I am not going to burn, Harrison. I am putting the house in order." There was another pause as Samka's face twisted into a mocking smile, "Welcome home. We have so much to discuss."

Samka was smaller than Connor expected, through the broken memories he had from the former Jedi’s mind. She held a grace and elegance, but commanded a great deal of respect and control by the way she walked, moved and talked. Her entrance to the grand hall broke the silence that surrounded the troopers and the Dark Sider.

She seemed to glide through, passing a pillar before she came fully into view. Connor stayed very still, hands bound in front of him.

When the girl started talking, her age nearly identifiable by her soft voice, Connor granted her the pleasure of paying attention to the painting she looked at. He knew this was part of the psychological game one would play with a potential war criminal; the near gentle tone to her voice, the distraction of the painting, the subtle messages bleeding through her almost innocent observation.

He looked over to it, and then to Samka.

She was absorbed in the myth and lore of the Ren it seemed. To be fair, it was much like that of any sect. They rise, they fall, and other rise in its place. At least she had passion, and he could feel it ooze from her with the venomous smirk given with the fact he wasn’t going to burn. Nor was he.

"Good for you. It’s always wise to cut off dead flesh from a rotting beast."

He looked down at the girl, small as she was, and returned a small, nonchalant smile. The use of his surname only was noted.

"It’s a pleasure to meet you, and I would be happy to talk, but there’s no point wasting their time accompanying us. Let them do their day job. Walking around looking imposing and not shooting anyone."

[member="Samka Derith"]

Now Samka was facing Connor, now she'd acknowledged his existence, she took in his appearance. He had changed in fundamental, and unexpected, ways. The way he spoke, the way he stood, the way he looked at her. She didn't even need to feel his aura to understand that this man was a very different [member="Connor Harrison"] than the one who had served under her in the past.

His words hadn't gone unnoticed either: "It's a pleasure to meet you,"

This was not a reunion to the man before her, this was an introduction. How fascinating.

Her head cocked curiously over the parasol's handle resting atop her shoulder. She returned his smile, polite yet clearly venomous beneath the surface. "I don't give up advantages," Samka informed the man with something resembling a simper on her almost child-like features. As if to demonstrate her point there was a clacking of armour on the ground, the telltale footsteps of Imperial Stormtroopers, as a half dozen of the soldiers appeared on both sides of the corridor, all of them with their rifles aimed squarely at the former Jedi.

"Just pretend they're not there," Samka's tone of voice and smile seemed reassuring on the surface but an undertone of smugness, of a woman who fully understood the control she was exerting was unmissable. "I assure you, they won't pry into our little conversations."

"So," the girl asked her first question to the stranger, "is Connor Harrison dead?"

The sound of the military procession alerted Connor and he looked up, seeing the flanking of white Stormtroopers on either side, blasters aimed and imposing helmets looking on. The girl wasn't stupid, nor was their operation. He gave a semi-satisfied nod.

"I will do my best," he said.

At her question, Connor thought for a second.

"Last time I checked he was. Died with his last desire of being the hero on the dark world of Maena, except while his devotion to the Light passed with his resolve, the darkness kept his heart beating and allowed me to come forth."

He flexed his wrists in the stun-cuffs.

"Hence why I am right here at your doorstep. Time to put to bed his legacy and start writing my own. I have an acquaintance helping me in that department, but I need to see what doors are open once I return."

Connor walked a few paces away from Samka, and the painting, and felt the troopers aim move with him.

"I do hope there wasn't much trouble following the incident on Skor? While he was driven by an inflated ego, the warrior was only doing what he felt was right to survive on the battlefront. I'm sure you understand."

[member="Samka Derith"]

The ghost of a smile crept onto Samka's face as the former Connor Harrison spoke.

"I understand but the military took a grim view of the events. The ship which obeyed your command had its crew decimated and there are a great many who'd like that head on a spike."

She took a step forwards towards the man, scarlet eyes regarding him with curiosity, absentmindedly twirling the parasol in her fingers back and forth.

"It doesn't matter what you call yourself or what the Force has done," she spoke in a hushed tone, the fleeting smile replaced by a devilish grin. "That face is infamous now. I should drag you before the Moff Council directly although..." the young woman paused as though suddenly remembering something, "I have my own business with you. Tell me something,"

Samka's head cocked sideways once again, making sure to remain as outwardly expressive as possible. "Why did Connor Harrison run? Why did he not return upon regaining his freedom?" She let the question hang in the air for a moment before asking another. "And why did I have to repair damage to our relations with Commenor?"

[member="Raijin"]

The questions came out as cool as ever from the Master of Ren, but they were one’s Connor didn’t hesitate to answer with his greatest attribute – honesty.

"Connor Harrison ran to Maena because his heart wasn’t true to his calling. He was fighting a war with himself, not with the First Order, and he won it. And so the only way to earn his freedom was to end his journey in the ash and fire of the dark world. He wouldn’t have wanted to survive as this, but I am glad he did. Because if he didn’t run, then I wouldn’t be here now."

He drew a small breath before continuing, eyes never wavering from those of Samka.

"And you repaired relationships with Commenor because that is what you do, regardless of how much they do or do not deserve it. I know of the Queen, and I know the history between her Highness and Connor that transcends what was seen on a security recording. Something you all don’t."

Connor looked to the Stormtroopers, and then lowered his voice a little as he looked back to Samka after an intended break in conversation to let the words hang.

"Commenor will never side with the forces of Darkness, regardless of their neutrality. They support the Jedi and the Light, and when the time comes, they will turn their back on any alliance you strive to keep because they are corrupt, weak and manipulative. It will be a day long remembered when the Queen falls and her deceit to the First Order is exposed and made an example of." He nodded. "You don’t deserve to be made a fool of again."

He leaned back a little, voice slightly louder.

”If you wanted me before the Moff Council, I would be there. I wouldn’t even be here before you if you didn’t see the potential of what I can finally become for your Order. I will stand before any council you see fit, but my story will not change as the man responsible for your bloodshed is dead. Just think of it. The face once sought after as a deserter returns as a face that represents the merciless, cunning and effective reign of the First Order and their Ren."

Her face was set, and impossible to read.

[member="Samka Derith"]

"Or it returns on a spike," Samka's response suddenly firm, her raised with sudden strength and authority she'd not yet displayed this meeting. "I'm still making up my mind."

"The long term fate of Commenor remains to be seen. In the short term, we have a partner in the core worlds. We have enough enemies without blindly picking ideological battles with everyone who thinks themselves on the Light," she explained resolutely, in such a manner to demonstrate the topic was not up for debate, even if the Ren had been the one shaping foreign policy.

She turned her back on the being she'd once known as Connor Harrison, taking a few steps away. "So he fled, still struggling with the Light. I was correct to keep the former Jedi from our more sensitive affairs." She hadn't had a solid reason before but those touched by the Light as Harrison was once were regarded with deep suspicion by the young Ren. Gallivanting off with Ara and Kaalia so often had troubled Samka with thoughts that the Jedi was corrupting them. Which reminded her...

"The young woman you met with before, she's been dealt with for her utter incompetence in not bringing you to me. Among other things. She's not dead though, I thought her still more useful alive." She spun on the spot, returning to face the man in her captivity, a smile back on her youthful features. "Which begs the question... are you? Convince me. I'm not without mercy."

[member="Raijin"]

The shackles around his wrists and the troopers around the pair was another stark reminder that Connor was on the final slippery slope of moving away from the past. He just had to ensure he survived. When Samka span to face him, the Knight lowered his head.

”Ara Ren is true to the Dark Side of the Force, but her aspirations I feel lie far beyond what the First Order can offer. I may be wrong, but she is a valuable asset, providing no others get to her first."

He sighed and looked at her.

”I would like to think you're already partly convinced by having me stand in your gracious presence and not behind an isolation shield in a cell. Lady Samka," he had to pick his words carefully, ”I have returned to make peace with you and the Order. I would not be back here in your mercy if I didn't feel I could be of use to you. Not in the way Connor was, but with a new identity. All being well, I am going to have a procdeure to erase my memory. Well, fragments of it. The memories that dragged Connor down. Memories of faces and places belonging to the Light. Once they are gone, I hope to see a new outlook in life, seeing all the things I missed fighting through his blind eyes."

Connor swallowed and stepped back, a slight bow from the upper half of his torso.

”I am at your mercy."

His eyes focused on the stone floor as he waited, showing signs of respect and social grace the old Connor with the inflated ego never could.

[member="Samka Derith"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom