Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Undercover Nannies

Monastery was a beautiful world. Noonish, the sky was a pale blue, peppered with white clouds and a breeze that sang between the trees. It was almost like Naboo, just without the heavy presence of tourists or honeymooning couples, and the small countryside town Maeve was staying at was cozy. Baroque-style architecture, tiny shops and cafes.

But if she had to complain about one thing, it was the children.

Seated an outdoor table, a cup of jasmine tea before her, Maeve listened as a few kids played ball in the street, laughing and screaming their heads off. She winced. For a defender of the people, she'd never quite liked anyone under the age of twelve. They were so loud. So rowdy. They lacked discipline, resolve, and just general common sense.

So, why she'd been assigned to this particular mission, she would never know. More than likely it was another test from Valery—a test of patience.

Thankfully, Maeve had partnered up with none other than Amani Serys. The Knight was an honored member of the Council and one of the few people she could trust, and for a task like this? She was going to need all the help she could get.

When the healer eventually found her table, Maeve stood and offered a friendly nod. "Amani," she said with a curt smile. "I was beginning to think you wouldn't show. Please, sit." She offered her a laminated menu. "Are you hungry? The waiter should be arriving any minute. I can brief you while we eat."

Last edited:
Amani was, understandably, a bit hesitant about offering assistance on this assignment. It wasn't just her own life that was of concern now, but that of the twins she was carrying as well. In fact, if it were just about anyone other than Maeve, she likely would have declined. But the Shadow had proven herself a loyal friend and ally. She trusted her that nothing troublesome would come of her involvement.

Monastery was a world Amani had yet to visit, but a similar Naboo-like impression had struck with her. She and Alicio had taken their honeymoon in a quaint, Naboo town, after all. But unlike Maeve, the sight of playing children only made her smile. Like a sneak peek into her own future. The healer approached the table, offering an appreciative nod, "Good to see you. Sorry. Just a bit late," She sat down with a sigh and took the menu, "Very." As it was, her belly likely wasn't all that noticeable to someone who wasn't looking for it, but sitting down, the bump puffed out a bit more. She was not looking forward to the later stages of carrying two entire babies around.

"Soooo… What exactly is it that I'm doing here, Maeve?"

Maeve noticed briefly the growing lump on Amani's belly but thought nothing of it. She was a newlywed, fresh off the heels of her honeymoon and some of the happiest days of her life, and happy couples tended to, well, put on a few pounds, right? She couldn't possibly be pregnant this soon.

She glanced away, distracting herself with the trees as Amani ran a finger across her menu. She wasn't going to ask. It was none of her business.

At her question, Maeve took a long sip of her tea, then placed it back onto its porcelain saucer with a rattle. This was not going to be easy to admit. "I need your help with something," she confessed. "I wasn't sure who else could, because you see, this mission is a little… different from what I'm used to."

She drummed her fingers against the table. "Master Noble's assigned me to babysit a family at one of the local villas. A family of five."

Before Maeve could go on, a long-haired waiter stopped by their table, dressed in a black apron and holding a small datapad in one hand. "A fine afternoon to you both, mademoiselles. What may I get for you? Our specials today include the shucked oysters and a creamy veal stew."

Maeve leaned back. "Just wine for me, please. A lot of wine."

Amani raised an eyebrow, her focus switching back and forth between the menu and Maeve, "Uh huuuuh…?"

"Master Noble's assigned me to babysit a family at one of the local villas. A family of five."

She pursed her lips, "…What?" Of all the missions, it was perhaps the most befuddling one she'd heard, at least at a surface level. There had to be more to it than that. In any case, the waiter arrived soon after, prompting both women to fall silent on the subject. "Y'know, that stew actually sounds pretty good. I'll get that. No alcohol for me, just water." Hardly a sacrifice on her part. Amani never much cared for imbibing even when she could.

Once the waiter left, she leaned in closer, "So… Why the hell is a Jedi Shadow being sent on a babysitting job?"

"Of course! I'll have it out for you right away, mademoiselle."

The waiter bent his head and scuttled away with their order. Only once he was out of earshot, Maeve returned her attention to the subject at hand. The mission. There wasn't much to say, but she hadn't quite filled Amani on all the details, and by the Force, there were… details.

"I'm starting to believe Master Noble thinks I could benefit from some more patience-building," she admitted, "but to be fair, this task does lean on more of the undercover front, which leaves me to take it on." She glanced around and cleared her throat. "And you, if you're willing to help."

All of this had been on very short notice, Maeve realized.

"You see, this family is headed by a wealthy local official that our informants believe is being targeted by a former Mawite who thinks they can take on their face and hide away from us now that Exegol is ash. But we're here to stop them." She tapped her finger against the table. "While we could just serve as guards, more than likely it will scare the Sith Lord off."

"So, that's why we have to play nanny."

Amani listened close, her expression never quite changing from 'perplexed', "…I see." It made sense enough, she supposed. The Maw scattered after the destruction of Exegol. There were bound to be a lot of them who made attempts to hide away in the more civilized corners of the galaxy. She didn't doubt Maeve's (and Valery's) intel, at least.

Amani leaned back in her sit, processing the information for a few seconds before she spoke again, "Is this mission going to be dangerous?" The healer asked concernedly, "I'm... not exactly cleared for combat," She tapped her belly.

"Oh! You're…?" She paused and let the silence hang. Pregnant. The reveal caught her utterly by surprise. "Shit, I mean, congratulations. I'm… so happy for you."

Was she? Maeve should have known this day was coming. Amani's honeymoon had only recently finished, and like most newlyweds, a baby was bound to follow. She just didn't think it'd be this soon, didn't think she would now have more than just one life to consider when recruiting the Councilor onto her side.

She attempted to do her best to reassure her, nodding eagerly. "Of course, this mission shouldn't be too risky. The Sith Lord I'm after is an arcanist and a known coward who would flee at the first sight of a lightsaber. And in the chance that they do try something, I will handle them myself. If you could just keep watch over the children, that would be more than enough."

Maeve didn't want to admit that it had been her plan from the start. Part of her had wanted to dump all the baby-sitting responsibilities on Amani, while she dealt with the surveillance and fighting aspects of the task. Her speciality was hunting Sith, and for a mission like this, she could afford to be a little selfish, even if Valery had thought this a chance for her to learn some patience.

"Will that be okay?" Maeve asked reluctantly.

Maeve's surprise made Amani grin teasingly. Whether she had just failed to notice, or simply didn't believe that the mirialan could be pregnant, it was entertaining watching her try to conjure an apt response.

"Shit, I mean, congratulations. I'm… so happy for you."

Amani laughed, then dipped her head, "Why, thank you," Still, the question remained regarding her safety. And more importantly, the safety of her babies. Maeve was quick to assure that it would be risk-free, at least on Amani's part. She was able to pick up some of her fellow Jedi's… discomfort around children, rather quickly. By extension, they could both get what they wanted out of the mission if they split duties.

Amani mulled over it for a few moments, then nodded firmly, "…I trust you, Maeve. I'll do my part so you can do yours." The waiter returned with drinks soon after, and she took a sip of her water, "Sorry I didn't yell you sooner. We wanted to keep it quiet for just a little bit before we made a public announcement," A few others had learned by now, but seeing as the Organas were Alderaanian nobility, a pregnancy was bound to attract scores of unwanted media attention.

Maeve ran a thumb over the edge of her tea cup as Amani considered her options. Nerves pricked at her conscience, not sure if the Councilor would agree. As much as she promised her safety and that of the children, Sith could be unpredictable, and there was no guarantee she could contain their fight to a single room.

But Maeve would try. She would try her damned hardest.

As the waiter returned, offering her a spare glass and an uncorked bottle of chardonnay, she pushed aside the cup of tea like it was nothing and sighed relief. "Oh, thank gods," she said, nodding her thanks, already beginning to pour herself a full round. After hearing the news she did, she desperately needed some.

"Don't worry about it, Amani," she said with a smile. "I understand. This is your private life, and I've no right to entangle myself in it." Finished pouring, Maeve set aside the bottle. "But thank you for telling me. I'll fight ten times harder to make sure this Sith is out of our hair before supper, that I vow."

She drank, then hesitated slightly. "Do you… know if it's boy, or a girl?"

Amani couldn't help but smirk amusedly as Maeve poured herself a liberal serving of wine. But her smirk turned into a more genuine smile as the shadow spoke, "Well… Of course. We're friends, Maeve. I trust you. And we'll see this mission through." Maeve would do everything in her power to make sure this went as smoothly as possible, she believed that much.

Amani took another gulp of her water, and nodded, "A boy…" hold for effect, "…And a girl." She smirked again. Soon after, the waiter arrived with her food, and the mirialan's gaze turned hungry. She thanked him, and went to work downing her stew with a bit more enthusiasm that she usually showed with food. Eating for three was a mission in and of itself.

"You ah, ever think about settling down one day?"

Maeve blinked. Friends. Had she just said they were friends? Were her ears playing tricks on her? She looked between the wine glass then to Amani, a little wary. While she'd like to see the Jedi healer in light as a friend, she never thought Amani shared that same impression. It was flattering. Surprising, even.

Maeve didn't have many friends, or those she might call one. She stayed secluded, bound to the archives or the cockpit of her interceptor, flying from one Dark Side-infested planet to the next. She rarely spent time outside of a duel. But Amani's wedding had been a first, and even now, sitting out here sharing a drink and talking about her… offspring …was incredibly unlike her.

"Wait, I'm sorry," she said, twice as stunned now. "You're having twins?" She made a face between a gasp and a grimace. Just trying to imagine the pregnancy and labor process was unnerving. "And… you're happy? Alicio is happy?"

Was that even possible? Being happy with not just one, but two kids?

Maeve shuddered at the thought and took another sip of her drink. "I don't think I could ever imagine myself settling down. I'm terrible with children, and marriage? I've never thought about it." She hesitated. "I will do what I've always done. Fighting Sith. It's the one thing I'm best at."

"You're having twins?"

Amani shrugged matter-of-factly, "Yeah."

"And… you're happy? Alicio is happy?"

She chuckled, finding the question quite amusing, "Yeah." The idea of raising two kids at once, on the first go no less, was certainly intimidating. But the pros far outweighed the cons in their eyes. They both found a lot of fulfillment in the idea of becoming parents. And now that the war with the Maw was over, what better time to settle down and raise a family than peacetime?

Maeve gave the response Amani more or less expected on the subject. She gave the woman a mischevious side-eye, and tried to tease her, "Hmmm… You sure? I do believe I saw you dancing with a certain military man at my wedding. Sometimes one thing leads to another…"

At Amani's answer, Maeve watched her in stunned surprise. She and Alicio were happy? With twins? She found that incredibly hard to believe. One child seemed like already enough of a handful, but two? This wasn't just like taking on padawans. That was raising babies—squealing, fussing, spitting, vomiting, whining and diaper-filling babies.

Maeve might've laughed. Should've, really. But before she could open her mouth to argue, Amani's next words stopped her dead in her tracks. Hayes.

Heat burned across her cheeks. "You mean Alexander?" she said, waving her hand dismissively as if she were swatting away a fly. "What? Please. Don't be ridiculous. I would never—well, he and I never—oh, for the love of the Force." Stumbling on her words was not helping her case here, but Maeve refused to admit she had anything going on with anyone. "We share a strictly professional relationship. There's nothing else to read into."

Almost aggressively, Maeve took her glass of wine and drank. Sweet, satisfying alcohol rolled down her throat and she let out a deep and calming sigh. "Besides, I have better things to do than marriage or—" she restrained the urge to gag, "Parenthood."

"There are Sith to hunt and I plan to wed myself to that very purpose until my dying day," Maeve finished resolutely and with a confident nod, as if that was case closed. "Honestly, we're only here to talk about you, and to talk about how we plan to masquerade as a pair of harmless nannies. Shouldn't that be enough?"

"You mean Alexander?"

"Mhm."

"What? Please. Don't be ridiculous. I would never—well, he and I never—oh, for the love of the Force."

"Mmmhmmm."
"We share a strictly professional relationship. There's nothing else to read into."

"Sure."

"Besides, I have better things to do than marriage or—" she restrained the urge to gag, "Parenthood."

"If you say so."

"There are Sith to hunt and I plan to wed myself to that very purpose until my dying day,"

At last, Amani raised her palms in surrender, "Alright. Fair enough. Not everyone's cut out for it," Still a certain smugness lingered on her smile, "Let's talk shop then. I should be able to play the harmless angle easy enough, right? I'm literally pregnant," If there target was so paranoid as to immediately scatter at the sight of a pregnant woman, then this mission was doomed from the get-go, "You, on the other hand…" She studied Maeve's perpetually-unamused face, "…Maybe you should try acting, I dunno, nicer?"

Maeve glowered in response to Amani's smug little smile. Talk of Hayes, of men or women or romance, never failed to throw her into dizzying embarrassment. She just wasn't made for love. Master Severin and the ghosts of her past had put her on a path far more important than that, and that was cleansing the Dark Side and their servants from every corner of the galaxy.

Maeve just didn't see herself living the same faerie tales of her friends.

Thankfully, Amani gave up on pushing the subject and turned back to the real matter at hand, although not without another sly comment that made the Jedi Shadow want to sink her face into the glass of wine at her side.

"Nicer? What do you mean? I can be nice. I can be extremely nice." Maeve scoffed, stunned that Amani would make such a remark. They hadn't even gone to the villa or started the mission yet and already she felt like she was under attack. "I'll prove you wrong. Watch."

Maeve had smiled before. Many times, too. She could easily do the same and put on a mask for the children. It couldn't possibly be that hard, could it?

Slowly, she tugged the corners of her mouth. At first, her lips seemed to resist the urge, as if on instinct, the muscles not quite used to the upturn, but as she began to force the smile, it came more naturally, spreading across her face with a shine and radiance that Maeve thought was rather charming.

Of course, whatever it was she was doing, it was far from a real smile.

Amani stifled a grin at Maeve's harsh response. More or less what she expected. What the Shadow could possibly due to prove her wrong in one fell stroke, she was eager to find out, at least until she actually bore witness to it. The rictus facsimile of a smile that Maeve fought to plaster across her face was anything but natural. One would almost be forgiven for thinking she had never smiled before in her life, or even heard of the concept of smiling beyond a vague description. Well… at least she was trying?

Amani cringed, and pursed her lips, "…Riiight." She leaned forward, "Okay, new plan. You do literally anything other than that, and we'll be golden," Nothing would scare off their target (and the children) quicker than a smile so forced.

Eventually Amani broke into another chuckle, trying to move on for both of their sakes, "Seriously though. Just act natural and follow my lead. It won't be that bad." Hopefully. Hopefully it won't be that bad.

Maeve's smile vanished as quickly as it came.

Replaced now with a much more common, natural frown, she leaned back into her seat and drummed her fingers against the table. "Oh, fine."

She knew she wasn't exactly a ray of sunshine, but she was capable of pleasantness, if not in small doses. Alcohol, particularly, helped. At least, that was what she told herself as she poured out yet another glass of wine. Last thing the Jedi Shadow needed to be during a mission was drunk, but between pretending to be a nanny and dealing with spoiled, rich children, she felt it was strongly needed.

It wasn't like she hadn't fought Sith a little drunk before. The Force certainly helped keep her mind clear, and her skill with a blade more than made up for any handicaps on her thinking. She was ready for this mission.

"I was thinking of us adopting names," Maeve said, glad for the change in subject. "You're one of our most recognizable Jedi and it may be best if we try to stay un-recognizable." She nodded sagely. "So, if it's alright with you, I'll go by Mae, and you can be Olga. How does that sound?"

"Fair enough…" Amani nodded along thus far.

"So, if it's alright with you, I'll go by Mae, and you can be Olga. How does that sound?"

She blinked a few times, then frowned, "Olga? Hold on now, why is it that you get to just be Mae, but I have to be Olga?" Sure Amani was decidedly more recognizable given her ties and Maeve's penchant for staying in the shadows, but Olga? What an… unpreferable name. The mirialn placed a hand to her chest, as if scoffing in insult, "Do I really look like an Olga to you?" Her tone was less accusatory, and more genuine. Pleading for a 'no' to that question.

Regardless, Amani eventually sighed, "Whatever. If it gets us inside easier, then whatever. Do you have some idea of how this is going to play out already?" This had been Maeve's mission after all. Amani might as well be a plus-one.

"No, you don't look like an Olga." Maeve gave a slight frown, not unaware of Amani's flash of surprise. "Sorry, I didn't think you'd care. I can come up with another name, if you'd like?" She paused and pulled out a small notepad from her pocket, reading off some names. "Does Agnes sound better? Or Gertrude? I found these in the settlement's local census and thought they would match us best."

Now, why she'd not chosen any of those names for herself, Maeve couldn't say. She'd just thought 'Mae' fit her well enough.

Setting down the notepad regardless of her response, Maeve glanced back up to Amani and nodded at her final question. She seemed finally ready to get the mission rolling.

"I've a general idea," Maeve replied. "We arrive at the villa under our designated names and act as we should. Lady Helga, the local official's wife, is already aware of who we are and has made all the necessary preparations. All we need to do is take care of her children, be on the lookout for anything suspicious, and once we find our Sith Lord, I'll have them either in shackles or dead on the floor before the day's end."

"So, if you're ready, we can leave right now, actually. I even brought us outfits to change into." She bent over and retrieved a set of folded clothes, passing it across the table for Amani to inspect. "Any other questions?"

"Does Agnes sound better? Or Gertrude? I found these in the settlement's local census and thought they would match us best."

Amani's expression flattened. With Maeve, she half-wondered if this were all just deliberate, well-executed deadpan on her part. It didn't seem like it though, "Olga is fine, I guess," The mirialan resigned to her fate.

Maeve appeared much more at home discussing the details of the plan. All easier said than done, but she could at least be counted on to understand the nuances of a mission such as this. How she performed in her role remained to be seen.

Once we find our Sith Lord, I'll have them either in shackles or dead on the floor before the day's end."

"Not in front of the kids, right?" Amani commented nervously on the mention of killing their target, "…Right?"

Alas, Maeve had one more surprise in store, as she laid out a set of clothes for her. The mirialan's expression flattened ever further, if that were possible, "Dude." She stared at Maeve, as if expecting something more, then just shook her head, "No. No I guess not. Whenever you're ready."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom