Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Unbeleafable Selection

Darth Quercus

D
Xera'ul, Athiss
Sith art gallery of Avernus Avernus

The largest and most populace city on Athiss, Xera'Ul is constructed within the tallest mountain on Athiss itself. The structures of the city, if they can be called that, are carved into the solid rock of the mountain itself. Deep beneath the earth, partitioned and divided out through the eons, Xera'ul holds to the same architecture as the ancient ruins on Korriban and Ziost. There is a distinct Pureblood touch to the city itself. Every building is carved to perfection, huge statues line the streets, and odd sort of gloom hangs over everything even during the height of the day...Due to its location beneath the thick mountain earth Xera'Ul receives no direct Sunlight. Instead the city is awash with synthetic light created by long dead mystics. A single grand orb of red hangs at the pinnacle of the city itself, creating an odd hued illumination throughout the streets that matches the crimson skin of most of its residence.

Darth Quercus, or rather their mechno-chair, strode up to the door of the gallery with dignity that suited the moment. A slack-jawed, blank-eyed Zabrak Sith followed after, but that couldn't be helped: Quercus needed an instrument around, and the gallery's owner probably wouldn't want to donate a servant or patron to fill that niche.

One pointed leg of the mechno-chair tapped the accessible door control. The door hissed open, and Quercus swept in, all one point three metres of them: a brilliant indigo Dromund Kaas dart flower/Murakami orchid hybrid, potted in the Fair Widow's Vase and perched delicately on the mechno-chair without apparent supports.

Through the instrument's eyes, Quercus began examining the selection of art on display.

The gallery's interior architecture was primarily themed around a color-scheme of black and gold, while still paying homage to traditional sith architecture. The glossy black ceramic tiles that made up the flooring were meticulously polished, clean enough to see your reflection in. The pillars that held up the ceiling were pained black and given a golden trim to accentuate the many lines and shapes carved into them. The walls were cold and metallic, an obvious divergence from the traditional architecture, but for certain purposes, including structural integrity, they were a necessity.
Darth Avernus was admiring a piece alongside a gallery patron when he heard the door open. He gave the patron a slight nod before heading to greet the new arrival. He rounded the corner with a confident and pretentious stride, sending his white cape in a billowing curve behind him. His boots were the only part of his outfit that matched the blinding white of his cape. The rest of his outfit was in varying shades of black, with several layers of clothing making the attire appear almost ridiculous. Before he could open his mouth, everything about him from the way he dressed to the way he walked screamed ostentation. He was caught somewhat off-guard by the Zabrak staring vacuously through a glass panel and into the alcove that hosted one of the gallery's many pieces.

Screenshot.png

'Absolution' - Artist Unknown
Avernus glanced once at the painting and back to the dead-eyed thrall. "Uh-?" He hesitated slightly, some hints of amusement coming through his voice in an almost condescending manner. He looked to the potted plant on the mechano-chair, squinting slightly as his eyes landed on the vase. He could feel the dark side exuding from it and from- the plant? It must be a side-effect of the vase he thought, embarrassingly oblivious to plant's aptitude for the dark side. He put his hand on his chin and shifted his weight to his left leg.

"Forgive me, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm looking at here." He waved his hand around as if encapsulating the sight of the Sith-Maurader-Made-Drone and the strange vase and flower being carried by way of mechano-chair into its own canvas. He paused for a second, eyeing the Zabrak meat-puppet curiously. "Are you sleepwalking?" He asked while waving his hand in front of the face of the unfortunate pollen-zombie.

Last edited:

Darth Quercus

D
The slack-jawed Zabrak marauder blinked twice and drooled in a confused kind of way.

Hard metal clicked against the floor as the mechno-chair approached Avernus Avernus , face to face. So to speak. More or less.

Indigo blooms rustled ominously.

<Do you treat all your clients with such disrespect? Desist from bothering my instrument.>

Avernus was taken aback by the sudden voice in his head which seemingly came from the flower. His jaw hung slightly agape, the amused look on his face had only faded halfway, creating a very odd expression. It was a fair moment before he was able to even begin to form a response.

"M-my apologies, I just hadn't expected-"

He paused, cocking his head to the side. He still wasn't entirely sure what to make of all this. His initial expectation was that the Zabrak wished to sell or donate the vase to the gallery. Obviously upon noticing the state of the Zabrak most of his assumptions crumbled. Hearing the voice of a flower addressing him in his head was definitely a first, and he wasn't sure what to think. He could feel that this plant was strong in the force for some reason, but he still wasn't entirely sure how or why. Perhaps the plant is of a species high in midi-chlorians? Maybe this is a sentient race he has yet to encounter? The galaxy was a big place, after all.

"I've never encountered any of your kind before, so I wasn't aware that you were sentient. I apologize. I am Darth Avernus, the proprietor of this gallery. To whom do I have the pleasure of meeting? I take it that this, uh, man is your eyes?" He asked, still curious about the empty shell that drooled before him.

Darth Quercus

D
Leaves rustled in a relaxed kind of way.

<Apology accepted, Lord Avernus. I am Darth Quercus. You're correct about my instrument: my species lacks eyes, ears, and hands. I find humanoid bodies convenient accessories. Many natural gifts.>

The mechno-chair turned to regard the painting, a totally useless affectation.

<Your gallery's collection is remarkable. Tell me about this piece.>

Avernus Avernus

Darth Quercus? That was unexpected for sure, but interesting. Impressive even, that a being with no eyes or ears that is confined to a vase could achieve such a title. He couldn't help but feel some kind of respect for the flower, which was odd, because Avernus usually looked down on everyone. He smiled and turned to the painting when asked about it.

"This piece was found in a ruin on Korriban. It has been heavily restored around the edges, which where heavily deteriorated and damaged. Given what imaging technology was available to us at the time of the restoration, we estimate the restored piece to be 97% accurate. There was no signature or marking that would indicate who the artist was, but on the backside of the canvas "Absolution" was written in High Sith runes."

He stared silently at the piece, admiring it for what must have been the hundredth time."

"It has such a somber, yet liberating aura about it, wouldn't you say?"

Darth Quercus

D
<Certainly. An esoteric austerity. In the context of the name I believe it touches on transcending guilt through embracing its suffering. In that sense I suspect the artist meant the name ironically.>

The instrument turned toward Avernus Avernus . The potted plant did not.

<I presume the restoration involved fully reversible archival paints? The peripheral damage might have had ritual elements. Would it be possible to obtain images of the unrestored original?>

"Vey insightful. My own interpretation was that of the release from great suffering at the hands of punishment through acceptance, but art is all about interpretations, after all."

Avernus took a step towards the painting and pressed a few buttons next to the glass panel that went over the painting's housing alcove. There was a sudden hiss as a foglike substance was sprayed over the painting by nozzles that extended from the wall. The unoriginal paints faded temporarily to allow viewing of the original state. Much of the paint around the edges appeared very washed out and discolored, the loss of detail was severe enough that the faded discoloration meshed into a cohesive blob of deterioration.

"I would never harm the original piece. The restoration is completely reversible."

Darth Quercus

D
Avernus Avernus

<Remarkable.> What insights, if any, Quercus gleaned from observing the original stayed private to Quercus. The mechno-chair shifted toward the next piece of art, blank-faced instrument in tow.

<Tell me, Lord Avernus, what led you to put your focus on the possession and understanding of art when you could be, oh, ruling sectors, manufacturing navies, brutalizing primitives, procreating with any willing mammalian sapient in sight - the usual Sith diversions?>

abyss-of-depression.jpg

'Depths' - Âdoshul Vess

Avernus emitted a hushed laugh at the question, turning with Darth Quercus and his instrument to view the next piece. It could be said that his pursuits were eccentric for a Sith, but he was Sith all the same. A pursuit of mostly intangible power through displays of might alone wouldn't ever be enough to satisfy Avernus. Power, in his view, wasn't limited to how well he could kill or intimidate the people in his way.

"This is much less of a focus and more of a hobby. I don't need to constantly need to be at the helm of lording over subjects and building fleets, especially when I have others to manage such things for me. We grow more powerful through our passions, do we not?"

He deliberately paused for a moment to allow himself and Quercus to admire the piece. It would only be a brief moment before he spoke again, not directly acknowledging the piece.

"Why do you ask? Is it so odd that someone with the means to do so would explore their passions?"

Last edited:

Darth Quercus

D
Avernus Avernus

<Oh don't be coy. You have a passion for art and thought and, I'd imagine, acquisition - instead of empty domination of worlds you'll barely visit, assets that your life touches on paper and nowhere else. Accept my flattery.>

The potted plant returned its attention to the painting.

<A little abstracted for my taste. Tell me, Lord Avernus, are you an artist?>

Coy hadn't exactly been the Darth's intention, but there was some truth to Quercus' words. It could be said that Avernus had a passion for thought, and even art and acquisition. That didn't change his view on growing more powerful through said passions. Money was his real passion, he couldn't help but be a rampant plutophile. He wouldn't say that of course, it never sounded good when he spoke of his nearly repugnant obsession with wealth.

"Fine, fine! Flattery accepted," he conceded with a laugh. "Yes, I am an artist, though you won't find any of my works here. I am not so self-absorbed as to display my own works in my own gallery."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom