Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tying Loose Ends

Roshki Belawiiks

We all have demons. I've just decided to feed mine
[member="Kian Karr"]

I listened in silence to Karr's story. Parts of it were hard for me to imagine -- married at 17? I didn't even want to get married now! -- but other parts, I could sympathize with. Like the not wanting to be a Jedi. I hadn't wanted to be a Jedi; for all the ups and downs, my life here, on Commenor...it wasn't easy, but I had a home here, a family. Much like my master had on Dorin. The end, though? I expected it to not be happy, Karr wouldn't have left his family for the Jedi voluntarily, but my heart still went out to him.

What could I say to him, though? His story was not at all like mine; I lost my friends, but he lost his family. Big difference, this I knew. I didn't even consider saying I felt sorry. Sorry for what? I hadn't been the one to cause the deaths of his wife and kid. And I guessed that Karr wouldn't want pity. Nor did I want to say my usual "That sucks". Even I knew it was a bit too callous for a story like his.

So instead, I went with Option Number 3, the best one in my opinion.

"Thank you," I said quietly. "Thank you for sharing that with me, Double Kay." Never liking to be serious for too long, I made an attempt at (respectful) jollity and lightly nudged his arm. "Now we're even, right?" Let's face it -- I sucked at comforting, and I was downright awkward in moments like this. I wanted to offer more to Karr, but I didn't know how. When we get done here, I'll figure something out.

I happened to glance up at the building we were passing, and that glance turned into a halt and a hand on the other Jedi's shoulder. "We're here."

The building itself didn't look very good, but it held some of its old-school glory. Pulling Karr along, I explained, "The building was one of those fancy apartments that the rich folks used to live in, before the city started moving outwards. With a lot of the money leaving, nobody wanted to continue renting out the rooms. So, it became home to squatters, particularly the ones who worked for...for The Devils." I glanced over my shoulder, certain that evoking their name would summon them. And that was not what I wanted to deal with. "Come on."

I ducked through the door, not bothering to give my eyes time to adjust. Even after all this time, I remembered the place, and it was just muscle memory from here on out. Heart pounding, I raced up the stairs and down the hallway, pausing only for a second to kick down the door.

Flinging open with a loud BANG!, the door revealed a room with...no-one. Except for a few pieces of furniture (I had personally found and claimed the little table; such memories!) there was not a single living body.

"Oh."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom