Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two of a Kind

Starting to go down the hall, I stopped at the entrance to the hall from the room as Ember mentioned that she didn't need to be a burden. I shook my head. If she was working for, or with me? Not sure on the terms we would be using, but either way, there was no point in forcing her to wear one set of clothes if I had whatever I needed. Plus, I doubt she wanted to wear my clothes that I had. Secondly, I didn't know if she had perfumes or what not. Rather would not be on a mission and someone asked why I smelled like flowers and rainbows.

Turning to face her while I held one hand onto the corner of the wall,

"It doesn't just have to be clothes. I know that you may need your own toiletries and other such. I am not equipped with such necessities. Plus, I don't think you would like it if you were treated like a slave or a servant when you are not."

I would let her think it over and mull it in her mind. Plus, her face was more red, than the blood of any species I had slain before. Give her some time to compose herself. Walking towards the back room where the man was being held, I opened the door to see him on his side still strapped to the chair. I smiled and shook my head as he looked up. His face changed to that of defeat when he saw me chuckling at him. I walked over to him and just tightened the straps around his legs and hands. Reaching to my right, a final set of ropes came around his chest and wrapped around him to keep his arms still.

"Just so you know, put a tightening knot on your hands and legs. The more you move, the tighter it gets. And if you loose circulation to that limb, I am more than happy to remove it after it is dead."

He shook his head in silence as I got up to leave the room. Closing and locking the door once more. Man, I had to really invest in one of those ray shield cages so I didn't have to get rope or ties to keep them from moving. Maybe after this pay out I could do that. Either way, I moved back into the main room with a couple more steps. Coming back around the corner, I nodded at her datapad. She earlier said it was her life. So it was a valid question to propose.

"So are you a slicer or do you just have a presence on the holonet?"

While I could slice myself, I wasn't the best, nor anywhere near proficient. Maybe a couple small locks or electrical systems. But hand me just about anything else and I would lose it. Moving towards the table I sat down once more in front of her. Intent on learning some more about this girl Ember. Was she really someone who I could trust, or would this only be a professional relationship between us? Making friends was great and all, I tried to do so when I could, but if it was strictly only professional, that was fine with me. Just meant things would be more difficult from now on.

Shawn1.gif
[member="Emberly Carrick"],

Valgærd

Shaun stopped, turning to make a very good point. A change of clothes was one thing, but a toothbrush? A hairbrush? I'd gone without the latter once before. It had almost cost me a job I was working in the end because it became so unruly. I couldn't help but agree with him on that one. But... his next few words made me stop in surprise. I paused, mouth slightly agape mid-breath. A thousand memories tried to come crashing down on me all at once. Not a slave.

For a few moments I remained there, stunned into stillness, before shaking my head slightly and forcing out a reply,

"N-no... I am not." I replied quietly.

No, not a servant. Not a slave. Not a failure... not anymore. I pursed my lips, banishing the memories as my fingers moved idly to my scar. Turning my thoughts decidedly elsewhere, I considered the quickest way to obtain what I needed so I wouldn't cause too much of an inconvenience. Even though I didn't know which outpost we'd be stopping at, they all seemed to follow a relatively simple pattern that I could use to get in and out as quickly as possible with what I needed.

I continued to think about my plan as Shaun disappeared to check on our prisoner, even going so far as to look up a few items on my datapad. When my echani host returned, he addressed the heavily modded piece of tech, asking if I was a slicer. In response, I couldn't help but chuckle.

"You could say that." I replied coyly, significantly more lighthearted than I had been a few minutes ago, "I've always been told I was too smart for my own good. So I went ahead and proved them all right. Turns out there's some lucrative work around when you can break into a bank vault from four systems away."

Instantly the smile fell from my face,

"Uh... hypothetically speaking, of course."

My fingers tightened around the edges of my datapad. Please don't be a goodie-two-shoes.

[member="Shaun Castanic"]

A slicer of some kind. Savant in the ways of technology to some degree. While I had a knack for tech as well, you could say mine was more expounded on due to my usage of the force. She seemed a little lighthearted at the question. Even coming forward to say that some people in the past have told her that she was too good for her own good. Like I have not heard that myself. I seemed to get into businesses that may or may not have been my own, and that lent to me getting in with the wrong crowd. Still, She then suddenly dropped off the face of the planet again. Looking away when she mentioned that she could potentially steal from a bank systems away. That may be handy in some situations. I shook my head with a smile.

"You think I am going to throw you into jail for stealing, when my job title is to hunt people down like animals to capture or to kill them? Darling, I am barely a step above a murderer and a kidnapper. The only reason I get to have any kind of law on my side, is because I do what limitations upon the law, cannot do. Trust me, anything you have done thus far in your life, will likely never topple what I have done to make ends meet."

With that in mind, I decided to speak up about myself. She had shared quite a bit about herself. Having a poor relationship with her father, being taken in by some Zeph guy, running from people most of her life because of his time away from her, and then sharing that she was good at slicing. While the information about me was just that I was a bounty hunter who took her in because I more or less pitied her. Well, that and accidentally showing more skin than she may have been comfortable with.

"Since you have been forthcoming with your own life, I may as well share some of myself. I was born and grew up on Eshan with my father. Mother was out of the picture from day one. Learned to fight and defend myself, hunt and live independently at a very young age. Moved to the city to become a blacksmith and engineer. Own inheritance to the company I work for, but I do bounty hunting and hunting in general on the side and for fun. Recently I have been working with a couple... shady groups of people that pay money for my services. As it so happened, I am supposed to meet with someone about a future job with a Mafia."

While I was sitting in the chair normally, my words flowed from my mouth as I pulled the third chair out and almost threw my feet up to rest on the seat of the chair. Sitting back in my own with my hands held behind the back of my head. Only reaching forward to hold the glass of water close to my face when I finished speaking, and took a rather large swig.

"Since it seems you are okay in the prospect of working with me, I want you to know from the start, that I do work for people who are criminals, there is a chance to be blindsided, and stabbed in the back. We will always have to watch our six, but it is still rather lucrative. Since I do work for shady people, you can take part in those talks if you so wish. See how I work and what I exactly do. But if you wish to keep your blissful ignorance of what happens, you do not have to show up, and it is likely best for your life, as people won't see your face if you don't want them too."

This was quite a bit to take in. Honestly, I didn't mind having a partner to take care of the ship while I was away, or just to set up some kind of base of operations. She could work well enough under pressure as shown before, but really only froze up with the knife to the neck. Yes, now that I knew she had sustained an injury to the same area, I understood that the 'attack' was a PTSD kind. So I had no problems with her. Plus, she didn't seem like the strongest of fighters, but could handle herself if worst came true.

"Take the time you need to think this over. Any offer I have is just that. An offer. If you say no, I will just drop you off at the nearest place, or where ever you need to go next. Or, we can work together. As for pay out, I have yet to come up with anything for that because I haven't gotten that far yet. And yes, you can ask as many questions as you want."
Shawn1.gif
[member="Emberly Carrick"]

Valgærd

I couldn't help but chuckle as Shaun reassured me that he wasn't going to turn me in. He had a good point, I supposed. Bounty hunting was a legal profession... but barely. Besides, everyone knew--even if they couldn't always prove--that these hunters often skirted the law themselves. I had to admit, so far, apart from being a little controlling, he seemed perfectly amicable and hardly about to turn around and hand me over.

Leaning back, my gaze remained on him as he spoke, revealing a little about his own life. One thing caused me to stop, my mouth dropping open slightly. Raised by his father... no mother... What were the chances? Imagine if he'd ended up being of mixed blood as well, how bizarre would that be! I nodded at him,

"I don't remember my mother either. I... don't even know..." I stopped ... What she was. No, I wasn't ready to confront that just yet, much less dump it onto somebody else.

Something else he said caught my attention. The Mafia? I'd heard a whisper or two on the deep net about a group fitting such a description emerging out in wildspace, but I'd paid it little mind up until now. The way he leaned back in his chair, pulling up another and resting his feet on it, helped me to continue to relax a little more as well. I felt my shoulders soften a little, a sigh uncoiling from my chest.

Then came his proposal.

My eyebrows flew up. At first, it came as a shock. But as he continued, the surprise past. We'd already mutually agreed that it could benefit us both to work together. We'd also both established--me unintentionally and him less so--that we were both comfortable working outside the bounds of the law. I caught myself leaning forward a little.

For a few moments after he finished, I simply let the silence hang in the air. How do you follow something like that? I'd known this guy for maybe an hour, and to my surprise I was seriously considering his offer. It was... it was like I'd known him a lot longer that that, and not just because he was another echani. Maybe this would be a good idea... for a while at least.

"How about this?" I asked, shifting in my chair and crossing one leg over the other, "let's try it out. I'll tag along on this job you're going to, provide whatever help I can. If we like it, we could make it a more permanent thing?"

Huh, look at me, negotiating and asserting myself. Father might have finally been proud.

Emberdivider.gif
[member="Shaun Castanic"]​

She too, lived without a mother. Quite interesting. However, I was not really opposed to the idea, but it seemed many of us "broken people" of the galaxy, tend to have lost someone, never had someone, or didn't have the full family in the picture. While I had met my grandparents on my fathers side once or twice in my life, I never met my mother, or her side of the family. Not that I really cared to begin with. If she didn't want to be a part of my life, then there was no need for me to search her out just because she was some grand person who I needed to be with. However, if I did find any clues to who she was, then sure, knowing who she was would answer a whole host of questions.

Moving my mind from that topic, as Ember seemed kind of... curious as to how this deal may work. As to how the two of us could work together with our potential meeting with this Mob boss. That was fine by me. See how she liked it. If she didn't fine. She wanted to see how well this would work. Nodding my head, she did seemed intrigued at the proposal. So then, I smirked ever so slightly. Pointing to her little datapad, I waved my finger around a moment, then let my hand resume its spot at the back of my head.

"Just sent you two files that I have. One is just a hunt for a couple of creatures. Bag and tag. I get to keep 35% of all that I catch or kill. The other, is the meeting with this Mafia group called, "The Family." The meeting itself will be with someone who we will talk to about any proposals that they may have for me, and we may have to prove our worth."

Standing up, I grabbed my glass of water and drained it before moving over to the side to refill if while I continued on. Letting her decide what we should do. What she would think may be her.. introduction to my kind of life. A life of errands, and doing what people ask, but for a hefty price.

"Since I don't care when we get either of those done, I will let you pick. Speak to an organized crime syndicate, or just a simple bag and tag mission. This would be your first time working with me, so if you want to pick something easy to see what it is like, or go balls to the wall and get all you can in one go."

Turning around and leaning up against the counter as I took another sip of the freshened cup, Letting her decide would allow Ember to take control of the situation when it seemed, she rarely got that chance with much else. Like I had mentioned to her, I didn't care when either was done. They would be done, just now instead of me deciding on a whim, it would be her so she could learn and get a feeling for this kind of life, first hand.

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

Shaun seemed to be interested in my idea.

As he explained what he'd sent me, I reached for my datapad and pulled up the files on the screen respectively. At first, I considered the bag and tag job to be the better option. One of the reasons I was such an adept slicer was because I much preferred to hide behind a screen, rather than deal with people directly.

However, as I read both files, my opinion began to shift. The Family, hm? Maybe they'd have resources, resources we could use. As I raised an eyebrow at him, I couldn't help but feel like I was being tested, like there was some right and wrong answer that I had to guess correctly to prove myself. That wasn't the case, most likely, but that's what you get with an early childhood like mine, I guess.

"Let's go see what this Family have to say," I replied with a slight purr to my voice, "When we reach the spaceport I'll even pick up something respectable to wear."

After all, booty shorts and a tank top were hardly appropriate clothing for meeting with the mob.

Emberdivider.gif

The Family it was. Looking her over for a moment as she spoke about getting clothes that were more appropriate, I nodded my head just a tad before reaching over to the side. A little slip card with account information was held on it. A small account I had for extra funds on a rainy day. For now, it would be hers so she could get what she wanted. I then slid it across the table to her and leaned in a little bit.

"Get all you would like, Just don't go overboard. Enough for about a week and a half worth of clothing. No need to have an entire wardrobe considering we are on the move. As well, should you need weapons or armor, I have plenty that I can retrofit to you. As I stated earlier, I am a smithy, and can make just about whatever you desire. Oh hand, I only have a couple vibroblades, blasters, and some fiber armor."

Standing up as I would allow her to read over it, I waved my hand. Using my prowess over technometry, I could alter the very page she could look at on her datapad. It would throw a huge list of information I had gathered so far about the Family. Small time Mafia that was rapidly growing. While much of how or why it began to grow was something I didn't know, What I did have was very little to go on. Other than "possible" exploits that they had done so far. Possible as in, I was not sure if it really was them, or just random thugs that thought they were badass.

"I will go ahead and set course for Dohmus Prime then. Should you feel like sleeping or having some privacy for whatever, your room is down the hall, third door on your left. Mine is the second, and the first door on your left is the armory. If you have any questions, just yalp for me."

I decided to let her have her space for now. Seeing as we expanding much on ourselves, I am sure she may wanted a reprive to think over all what was going on. As well as potentially cleaning herself up or take care of whatever she wanted. Standing up to head down the center hall towards the cockpit, I stopped and turned around,

"Oh and make sure Zeph knows you are with me. Don't want him thinking I kidnapped you or something. Really don't feel like having more enemies than necessary."

I then headed down the hall and to set the course to take us to Dohmus prime. It would take us most of the day to travel there. Considering we are nearly half way across the galaxy from Dohmus Prime, It would give us plenty of time to get there, and prepare ourselves.

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

Cool, decision made. We were heading to get in good with this... "Family".

But I didn't have much time to dwell on it as suddenly Shaun pushed a card with credit information on it towards me. That... caught me off guard. I glanced down at it for a moment as he spoke, telling me not to go overboard. Honestly it took me a moment for it all to click. But when it did, I only shook my head and pushed the card back across the table towards him. At first, I felt a bout of rage shoot through me, a white-hot shot of anger. Did he think I was some little lost puppy to be coddled and taken care of? Did I still so much resemble that lost little girl? So desperately hopeless that her mere existence demanded the charity of those around her? Zeph had seen that girl all those years ago, had I really come no further than that?

But as I opened my mouth to snap at him, I stopped.

... Was I? If that was the case, I had no right to snap at him for seeing such. And I certainly had no right to be so rude to someone whom had offered me well more than I deserved. I closed my mouth, paused, and tried again.

"Thank you, Shaun, but I can afford my own supplies."

Not exactly an eloquent response, but I've never been very wordy.

I gazed over the pages on my datapad, perusing them as he continued to speak. Interesting investment, if it panned out. Small-time meant getting in should be relatively easy, if they needed numbers. Growing rapidly hopefully meant it'd be a solid investment with plentiful returns.

As he finished, mentioning where my room was and that I should message my Dad... I nodded. With a soft sight I pulled myself up from the chair.

"Thank you, for everything. Let me know if you need me for anything, after I call Dad... Zeph, I'll be totally free."

Free... until we signed ourselves up with the mob, I guess.

Emberdivider.gif

D O H M U S P R I M E
Unspecified time later...

Landing down in the spaceport, The ship was brought to rest. While I had not opened up the hatch yet, I walked through the ship. Reaching the locker that I had been to hours ago. I had slept a little since then, but barely any. Thoughts were pounding my mind and prevented the emptiness that I so sought and desired. I had made sure that for now, I was alone in the room as I changed into my fiber armor once more. However, instead of dressing up with a whole bunch of swords like I had earlier, I only grabbed one. Particularly the one with a rather bronze looking pommel and guard. Otherwise, I was only armed with a blaster pistol.

Once I had suited up, I headed towards the room with our "friend." Entering to see that he was still on the floor, but asleep. I smiled. Attempting to control myself as I walked over and began to tap his face. With no real reaction from him, I reared up my hand and gave him a good n' loud back hand.

"Bout time you woke up. And no, Sleeping beauty was a much better story than yours."

The man groaned and started to give me some curses as I removed the restraints from him. I gave him a good secondary smack to make him shut his mouth as I put some cuffs on his hands that were attached to a shock collar. Sending a shock to the neck would also travel through the body, and the chains to his wrists. Allowing not just a neck shock, but a nearly full body stun if he decided to get handsy. With him in tow, I walked out of the room to almost bump into Ember as she was walking through the hall.

"Feth! Sorry, didn't mean to bump into you."

Indicating that she could move ahead of me, I wanted to keep the man away from her considering the circumstances that I had learned about earlier. I doubted she wanted to be around this guy, nor do I want him to attempt anything. Taking a hold of the chains, I threw him upside the wall with a hardy thud to indicate that he was not to fight back, or do anything I didn't want him too.

"As much as I would rather not cart him about, The Family might have some contacts for the bounty on his head. So sadly, this asshat comes with us."

I attempted to grab her attention, looking between the two and keeping my voice lowered a bit considering the... freeze she had back at the station, I didn't want this to affect her and her actions. She had to look good in front of the Family. She had to prove her worth. Not that I didn't trust her, but whatever happened back there, shook her to her core. I didn't want that to happen out of pity, but from a tactical stand point. I am not sure how I got her out of her daze earlier, but I didn't want to try and fight it again. Or have to explain the relation to whoever we spoke with that was tied with this Mafia.

"Unless you want us to just leave him here and we can turn him in later. Have someone else come pick him up?"

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

I don't remember most of the trip.

We'd stopped and I had managed to pick up a change of clothes plus a smart dress to wear with tights. That had taken longer than I'd wanted because I just couldn't justify buying one I wouldn't be able to fight in if it came to that, not that I had hoped it would come to that. But eventually I found one that managed to look nice enough whilst having a loose skirt that didn't restrict movement. I guess some habits really did die hard.

The planet we had arrived at was protected by a planetary shield, which of course had me glued to the windows on our approach. Those things continued to be a complete marvel of technology and engineering, and I'm more than a little envious of the fact that I hadn't come up with them. It shimmered in the light of the star as we approached.

We docked at the orbital station, the telltale thud and clunk my unofficial cue to get ready to leave. I pulled on the dress and the tights, cringing somewhat as I put my boots back on. Small and light for combat boots, but hardly the dainty dress shoes that I'm sure would have matched this ensemble better. Oh well, you win some you lose some. What I would lose in style points, I would certainly make up for in agility. As ever, my datapad was clipped to the belt around my waist. Again, not something that would typically match a dress, but not too out of place, considering it was only a small device.

I hadn't been paying attention so when I almost crashed into Shaun, I let out an involuntary squeal of surprise.

"Oh chit! I'm sorry--" I replied hastily, cutting myself off as I spied our prisoner with him.

In the silence that followed, Shaun again gave me an option. My cheeks were burning from running into him and my heart in my throat, but I felt another flush of fear wash over me briefly. I hated to be put on the spot. But, he wanted an answer, so an answer I would give him,

"Oh, um..." I began uncertainly, "... yes... b-bring him with us. Yes."

My reply came with a nod, more to assure myself than to assure my fellow echani, honestly.

Half-fellow echani. I wasn't even full-blooded kin to this man, or anyone that I'd known my entire life. That seemed... such the insignificant fact, now.

Emberdivider.gif

Ember had spoken her own apology when we ran into one another. While it was nice to know she wasn't some stuck up, She didn't need to speak such. It was not really a necessity. However, My... question? proposition? to her was already shaking her up. She was skittish and already starting to be hit with what I could only assume to be some kind of anxiety. One that was brought on by seeing the man who was here. I shook my head as I grabbed the chain hooked to the man. Dragging him into the main room and tossing him to the ground. His thumping was followed with some grunts as I turned to face Ember. Speaking plainly.

"I can see what has happened. I see the effect that your father has caused you. Even more so knowing that this man works for him, is causing you distress. You need to overcome that. Before we even see this Family, or any other bounty, or hunt. You need to be able to take a hold of yourself. Control your emotions to allow your body, and your mind to take action. Freezing, or even the slightest hesitation, can be a detriment to your health, and the safety of yourself as well as others if you choose to protect or aid them."

I shook my head. Reaching over to my left to have the dagger I had used earlier to fly into my grasp. Looking to her, I then gently held onto the pommel and showed her the weapon.

"This dagger has a special edge. Cutting someone with it can cause extreme pain. It was made out of a special gem that has been used by many for a torture device. This dagger's blade can do the same. Even a simple touch can cause pain. When inflicting a wound, the blood stream can become poisoned."

Flipping the grip over her, I knew very well she might not take it this second, but I could only continue. Voicing my concern, as well as allowing her to... release herself of this stress. This pain. I knew all too well that when I was angry, afraid, or scared, I would have punched a wall, or door. Even times, going to something that is easily breakable, and destroy it. Why? Because it released stress. While it was not always the best solution, I felt that the only way her mind, at the moment, could be free of this man's mental torment, was to allow her to do whatever she willed, to him.

"This man works for your father. He has hunted you and belittled you to a girl that can hardly function. With what I have known and learned from you, pain is what you want your failure of a father to experience the same way you have. You want to show him that you are not a weakling. Freezing at his name, or at the wrong time, will show him none of that. You want to give your father a message right?"

Pushing the blade's grip closer to her, I then left my other hand open and proceeded to display the man still laying on the floor in chains. Walking over, I gave him a solid kick to the stomach with a loud groan from him. The thud was loud enough to almost echo in the ship itself. I returned to face Ember and show her that she can do what she wanted. She was the master of her fate, and the captain of her destiny.

"There are no gods that this man can pray forth, to defend him. He is a man without morals and would as easily slaughter you for pleasure, and gain reputation with your father. And you would let him? Would you let this filth, this bastard, take from you, what little you have left to hold onto? Zeph is not here to protect you. I will not always be here to do the same as partners. You have to be able to call the shots yourself."

I dropped my voice low to a whisper, inching closer to her ear as I hummed in an almost loving tone to see this girl be able to overcome her fears.

"He is yours to do with as you please."

Shawn1.gif
[member="Emberly Carrick"]

Valgærd

What Shaun did next... stunned me.

I watched on in hushed awe as he produced a dagger. Ironic, perhaps, seeing as the words he spoke seemed to cut into me as if with the very point of the weapon. He was right, much as I wished he wasn't, he was. I hadn't exactly found healthy outlets for... well any of my issues. But this particularly shocked me. At first, it did, at least. My fingers closed around the pommel of the small bladed weapon before I was even fully aware that I'd reached for it. It felt... weighty in my hands. I tested its weight a little, before my grip tightened and I held it flat against my wrist, creeping towards the thug.

"Bet you're regretting coming after me now..." I began slowly, a soft purr in my voice.

A pause, that... sounded almost more sinister than I had expected it to. Ignoring it, I turned my attention back to the man before me. He was laying on his side, bound, staring up at me. I wondered idly if this was how father had felt, all those years ago, when it had been me standing before him, and his hand holding the dagger. I lowered myself to one knee, watching, hearing, feeling my prey tremble as I ran the tip teasingly over his cheek. He'd heard what Shaun had told me. This would be incredibly painful if it nicked his skin.

"What did father tell you about me? That I was some mewling little thing? That this would be easy? Did he warn you that I'm even his daughter?!"

My breaths had become quicker now, my voice raised to be almost shouting. Shouting to be heard over the sound of the man's own wails of agony as the blade was pressed into his cheek, a crimson droplet of blood growing at the tip until it ran down his face. But I didn't stop, I couldn't stop

"Were you even trying?!" I cried, dragging the blade down towards his neck, leaving a long scarlet line and a shriek of agony in its wake, "did you even see me as a target? Or was I just some cargo to you? As good as in the bag, hm? Did father even bother warning you not to hurt me when you brought me back? Did he tell you what he did?!"

Close and closer the line moved to his throat

"Did you even stop to think that the half of me I got from him was the inferior half?!"

Of course it wouldn't have, but I wasn't thinking anymore. Logic and reason had abandoned me. Ember was sinking into the background. Something... else was taking over. I raised the dagger high, ready to show him once and for all that I was not afraid. Unless Shaun decided to intervene, it would find its mark exactly where Father's blade had found its own, all those years ago. Only now, there was no one coming to save this one.

Emberdivider.gif

Ember changed. The look upon her face changed from that of a scare girl, one who was only just learning of the universe and it's laws, into a woman who controlled such outcomes. I saw as she took the blade, her demeanor changed. She had an aura that shifted on her. Approaching the man, she made her message clear. It was as though Ember became an entirely different person. I wasn't sure if it was good or bad at the moment. I stayed my hand and watched. Even as she began to draw the blade towards the man's neck, I slowly reached out with my mind into his. Placing a very thin barrier under his muscles within the neck.

As the blade would come across the man's neck, it would slice through the skin and muscle and sinew, but nothing more. Pain is what he would feel. However, he would not perish from the injury. As soon as she swiped the blade through his neckline, I stepped forward and grabbed her upper arm. Almost yanking her up to her feet.

"Injure him all you wish, however, he will not get the message if you end his life. He will not learn if he cannot breathe. Control your anger and hatred. Use it as a tool of battle and war, but do not let it consume you."

Turning back to the man, He was groaning in pain. However, not screaming. Why? I held his mouth shut. He would suffer in silence. Just as she had. Indicating for her, I then continued.

"You may continue, learn to control your anger, or I will stop you, and it will be you who shall learn a lesson. I will not lose a bounty."

My voice not deep, but filled with the promise. I was not afraid of teaching this woman how to respond to her situation. She had so much energy pent up, bottled up, she didn't know how to release it slowly.

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

I... didn't know what I was expecting.

But I was panting heavily by the time my blade found the man's neck. My entire core seemed to be boiling and seething with rage. I was a storm in a jar, a violent and destructive tempest barely held at bay in a vessel that could shatter at any moment. However... when I drew my blade across his neck... nothing happened. Well, he groaned and whimpered in agony and a scarlet line opened up along his skin. But there was no desperate, agonising shriek. I wasn't doused in a spurt of warm, crimson blood. It was altogether somewhat anti-climactic. However, as I felt the frustration ready to explode from within, the other echani moved next to me and spoke.

It felt strange, as he spoke. On the one hand, part of me felt the reasoning behind his words. He was right, I needed to find control, to be master of my actions rather than a slave to them. However, at the same time, I felt the storm rage against me. The violence, the hatred, it had been robbed of its satisfaction, and in that brief moment, I felt the overwhelming urge to turn the blade to my companion. I didn't know how, but something he was doing was keeping this man alive, and quiet.

That urge scared me.

I stumbled back, letting the blade fall from my hand. That man, unarmed, bound and helpless, would have been slaughtered like an animal if it hadn't been for Shaun. Maybe he deserved it, but... did I? Was that something that I deserved to have on my conscience?

These two sides seemed to war for a moment, before I turned the blade around and presented the dagger's pommel back to Shaun.

"I... I'm done." I shivered, sensing the warning in his words. I may have stepped back, but that vengeful part of me yearned to find out what was beneath that warning, to go up against him and just fight until one of us fell. "This isn't getting us anywhere. Let's go."

Put a lid on it, Ember. Bury it, repress it, like you always do.

Emberdivider.gif

Seeing how far her darker, inner side would take her too, I found that she handed me back the dagger. She almost looked disgusted with herself over the actions she took. Allowing her inner desires to consume her as I have spoken. Yes, that is very much true. While I have been able to learn how to control them for some time. However, it was done in the absence of others to influence my emotional state. I grew up with little to no attachments. Yet now, I had some merely by making connections to others.

Taking the dagger and sheathing it upon my belt, I placed a hand on her shoulder. Shaking my head with a slight smile to her. My emotional state, and stance were changed to try and help her calm her mind, and open up even just the slightest bit.

"Bottling it up will only cause pressure to build, and one day, explode. Its not good to do that. I won't press further, but we will talk later."

Indicating for her to move onward, she would be allowed to leave the ship while I picked up the man and produced bandages to barely wrap around his neck. Releasing his neck from injury, so it could heal. Maybe leave a scar on him for the rest of his life. The gauze was just wrapped tightly around his neck to staunch any possible bleeding, but not tight enough to choke him. Once that was done, I walked out of the ship. With my stronger form, I picked the man up into a fireman's carry over my shoulder.

Walking down the ramp, I could hear the "umphs" of air leaving his stomach and chest as his solar plexus was just under my shoulder. I adjusted him so he could breathe on my shoulder and not pass out. Carrying him out, I turned to face Ember and indicated to lead the way.

"Apparently we are to meet a lady dressed in black I think? Someone dressed in black and they will have a wolf symbol on them somewhere. So look out for that."

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

I caught my breath as Shaun hauled our cargo down towards the station proper.

That had been... unsettling. I hadn't slipped like that in a while. In fact, I hadn't slipped like that ever. A shiver raced down my spine as I hurried after Shaun and our captive. It would be better just to ignore it, to put it out of my head and not let it get in the way of whatever was about to come next. I'd spent a little while with Shaun on his ship. I hadn't seen that much of him yet, but what I had seen, I'd liked. I didn't want him to have any reason to call for us to part ways.
Emberdivider.gif
The orbital station was noisy.
Hale.png

I mean, it wasn't like I expected any different. I spent heaps of time on stations. Still, my head was beginning to throb and I was still rattled from the earlier confrontation with the thug, so it seemed to get to me now more than usual. I huffed softly, wrapping my arms around myself as I trudged along slightly behind the other echani. Oh yes, we drew looks. It seemed what while there was certainly a variety of aliens milling about the populace, the majority appeared to be human. So when two porcelain-skinned, snow-white echani wandered in, carrying a bandaged thug to boot, we were noticed.

I saw him first.

Not that I knew he was our contact, not initially, anyway. He was an enormous mountain of a man, broad as a freighter and draped in a long black leather duster. His face looked like a child's clay project and was riddled with scars. Piercing eyes gazed out from beneath a thick brow as the man leaned against a wall, arms casually folded. He gave me chills. He was not the sort of man you'd want to piss off.

So of course, he had the wolf symbol. It was in the form of a big, heavy medallion, likely durasteel or something similar, hanging around his neck.

Swallowing back my fear, I nudged Shaun, nodding to the meat-mountain

"I guess that's him"

As if he'd heard me, the man looked up. He studied us for a moment, before tilting his head back in a nod, as if to beckon us over.
Emberdivider.gif

I was told we would be meeting someone. However, coming face to face with a mythical "golem" was not my first thought as a messenger. However, the snark side of me instantly thought about the coined term of not shooting the messenger. From the looks of it, shooting this man would merely piss him off like trying to shoot a rancor with a slingshot.

The port was busy. While it had not been the most busiest I have seen in the past, it was fairly so. One could get lost in the crowd if they truly tried. However, for us white haired pale skinned individuals, carrying a man who looked almost double myself in weight, was kind of hard to hide. Even more so, Ember did not have to worry about carrying weapons on her. I had swords. Weapons that the average smuggler would never use. A gun from a distance is how they tend to operate. Keeping distance meant you were safe. A sword put you directly in danger. Yet, I thrived for it.

Upon Ember seeing the man, and mentioning him, the mountain woke up and looked at us. I didn't smile. I didn't respond other than by letting the man on my shoulders slide off of me and thumping with a rather loud groan onto the ground.

"I guess you are the Donna's Golem then?"

Oh I wanted to test him. Was he going to be one of those men who while big, had skin as thin a paper, or were they actually thick enough to let little names like that not affect them? Even better if he returned the favor. Yet, the business look to him may prevent that.

"Decided to bring her a gift of a bounty. Other than that, are we only going to be speaking to you, or will we meet her?"

I had moved myself before speaking to be just slightly in front of Ember. From my comments, and if we so happened to make chit hit the fan, I needed to be able to get her to move as fast as possible out of here, or to use myself as cover. I knew I could defend myself. And one could never really trust any kind of crime syndicate. Even more so a Mafia where loyalty and respect were everything.

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

We approached the meat-mountain, Shaun doing so seemingly nonchalantly while I wrung my hands together in front of me.

I was distracted for only a moment while I turned to glance at our bounty as he was unceremoniously dumped on the ground. I bit back my reaction as my echani kin, positioning himself slightly between me and the man, spoke for us. I blushed, a tiny gasp swallowed down as he began. That was not how I would have greeted this monster! I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment, silently hoping with a few choice cuss words that Shaun knew what he was doing.

The meat-mountain, however, didn't react.

Not at first, anyway. He raised one eyebrow, shifting his weight from one foot to the other as he looked from Shaun to myself and back again.

"Golem, eh?" he began, his voice low and gruff, "that's a new one."

For a moment he seemed to ignore Shaun, focusing his attention on me. I blushed more, staring down at the ground.

"You alright, little lady?" He asked.

I glanced up, more out of surprise than anything. That was a... surprisingly considerate question. I nodded hastily, reaching out almost involuntarily to hold onto Shaun's bicep as I did. I'm with him, the action seemed to say, he's not going to hurt me. Seemingly satisfied, the brute nodded and again raised himself to his full height. He craned his neck, getting the attention of a few men dressed in black. Pointing to the thug on the floor as they approached, he spoke to them.

"The bounty on that sack o' chit is a gift for the Donna, process it."

Then he turned back to us,

"Name's Hale," he said bluntly, "follow me."

Emberdivider.gif

A new name for him? Considering this man seemed to work for a "mysterious woman" and was the literal definition of the personal bodyguard, or the errand boy for her, A Golem from its mythical roots were created from mud and stone to be strong and protect the blindside of a Sorcerer. I just smirked lightly at the comment he made. However, as his attention turned to Ember, I gave him a rather warning look that she would be fine. Extending my arm out as though to push her behind me more. I didn't even mean to do so, nor did my foot as it moved to the side to step in front of her further. Feeling her own arms wrap around mine only showed that she was attached to me further. Like we did earlier, I played it off that we were brother and sister.

"My sister is fine."

Ember was new to this. Secondly, this man was massive. Even compared to me, he out weighted me and was well over my own height. I was sure to maybe get in a lick or two, but the age, size, and stature of the man would prove a problem if things fell through. However, as he mentioned for us to follow him, I released my hold upon my "sister" Making my way after him while letting my left hand rest easy on the pommel of the sword on my side.

Following the mountain of a man into a elevator that fit all of us fairly well, We began to move up. Feeling the spatial shift in the upward momentum. I looked over to the man. Feeling the faint flicker of the force within him. While he may have been sensitive, he wasn't massively powerful. Likely used the force to supplement his own strength when needed, or even compliment whatever he happened to be doing at the moment. I highly doubted he used mental powers, or anything along the line of sorcery.

"Hale" as he called himself stayed silent as I looked him over.

"I guess the answer to my question will be revealed soon?"

Seeing as he completely disregarded myself and the question I posed for if we were only speaking to him, or if we were going to be meeting this mysterious woman. If not, I would hope to see her at a later time. I wanted to see the face of the person who could demand such loyalty within her men, as well as the power that came with it.

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

Sister

I was quiet as the man who called himself 'Hale' led Shaun and I up through the casino towards one of the conference rooms. It was the facade we'd used the day we had first met, not all that long ago. It made sense, obviously. We were both Echani, and similar in age. Hell, we could probably take it a step further and call ourselves twins. I cringed, there had been a thought or two I'd had regarding Shaun--particularly during that awkward moment on his ship--that was not very sisterly at all.

But that didn't matter now. Blushing, I forced the thoughts out of my mind and focused instead on the conference room. It was really nice. I instantly recalled robbing a few places this nice. They usually had really really good security, it was not something I did often. Shaun spoke, directing a question at Hale. The meat-mountain just shrugged and turned from us, walking back outside the door.

Raising an eyebrow, I threw a glance to Shaun.

Interesting.

However, before I could say a word, there was movement by the door and in walked a woman. Alabaster skin almost as milky as my own, hourglass figure shown off by the slinky black gown that looked right at home in a high-class casino. Her jawline was slender and feminine, but her other features were hidden beneath a black wide-brimmed hat; stylish enough that she could pull it off, but certainly it was a statement. I smiled to myself, cute. Anti-detection technology is great... but even I couldn't hack a hat.

She lowered herself into the seat opposite us, giving us each a nod. I returned that nod, but remained quiet.

The woman spoke, producing a small datapad from... somewhere and flicking through some files.

"Shaun Castanic" she began with a purr. "Thank you for accepting my invitation. I've read quite a bit about you."

Then she turned to me,

"Emberly Carrick, yes? Don't look so surprised, child, very few people make it through those gates without my knowledge. You're quite a slicer from what I understand. Don't worry, I'm far from having you arrested."

She turned back to Shaun,

"So, You ready to hear about the job, Doll?"

Emberdivider.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom