Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two of a Kind

Orbital Station

Handing the man some credits, I walked away from the stand with an energy drink of some kind. Bright florescent green and sloshing around in the bottle. I thought about taking a sip of it right now, but held it. Looking it over as I stepped away from the station, and slipped the bottle into my coat pocket. Unlike the last couple of times that I have been seen with my robbed look, I opted to garb myself more akin to a smuggler, or a mercenary. Spacer leather jacket with a high collar and various pockets galore. Two belts around my waist. One holding up my pants, with a thigh holster for a blaster pistol. The buckle wrapped around my thigh just a bit to keep the weapon from flopping around.

On my left side was a leaning belt. Holding the twin blades of mine. One next to the other in a side-by-side sheath. Easier for me to draw a weapon with my left hand, or my right, but not preventing me from reaching a blaster should I want it instead. Reaching into my pants, I removed from it's pocket a small device.

Earlier I had found an individual who seemed a little shady. I had quickly dropped a GPS coordinate chip upon him. In truth? The man had a drink and I slipped it into his to make sure it stayed with him. Would take a couple of hours to days for it to leave his system. Why was I tracking this guy? He was a familiar face to me. I had taken a couple moments to use my datapad and look up this guys face on any kind of bounty. Really I only found his face along side some other Echani guy.

Known Sith, and was on the run from some faction and Mandalorian Clan as far as I could tell. Taking this in stride, I started to follow after the guy. Honestly he was half way between myself and the other side of the station. Maybe a quick walk towards him at the least. Following after the man, I flipped the latch that held my blaster in place. Making sure it was ready to be drawn if necessary.

Shawn1.gif

[member="Emberly Carrick"],

Valgærd

There's something about these orbital stations.

I don't know exactly what it is. I've laid awake at night on Zeph's ship while it was docked here, listening to life just... happening out here in the cold vacuum of space. We mortals were just so stubborn! We'd found the coldest, harshest, least-forgiving environment in the galaxy and what did we do? Went ahead and built outposts and even whole cities out here. It amazed me, likely it always would. Of course, a part of me would always see these stations as a place to be free. This in in particular, reminded me of the hangar where I'd first been hauled onto my adopted father's ship. So tiny and frail I'd been back then. It was amazing I'd survived.

Well... not as amazing as I'd initially thought.

Now brushing down past my hips when out, I'd tied my white hair back into a long braid, which now lay over my shoulder, my fingers running over the pattern as I chewed my lip in thought. Echani tend to stand out, even at outposts like this one, the bright, snowy beacons that we were. I'd taken to wearing long sleeves and hoods, although I'd relaxed a little today. I was leaning against a wall, watching the people go by as casually as I could. No matter where I was, there was a small part of me that was always on edge when dad wasn't around.

Should I tell him?

I glanced again to the datapad in my hands:

DNA TEST RESULTS:
ECHANI: 50%
UNKNOWN: 50%
What did that mean? What was the other half? I'd always thought I was pureblood Echani, so did dad, so did everyone. Was there... something else? My brows knitted together as I closed the window and clipped the datapad onto the clip on my belt. It didn't matter right now, anyway. I couldn't very well tell dad while he wasn't here. Instead, I fought to set my mind at ease by going back to observing the people around me. Was that... a man moving towards me? He seemed to be coming in my direction. Ah, I was probably just on edge. Shifting from one foot to the other, I re-adjusted my stance and let out a sigh.

"It's nothing, Em." I told myself quietly, "you're standing within 20 feet of three doors, he's probably just got somewhere to be."

[member="Shaun Irons"]

Following after the man, looked up and craned my head over the people that happened to be walking between myself and him. I could barely make out where he was. My footfalls had been nearly silent compared to that of the other people around me. Yet, as I started to feel as though I were losing him, my pace quickened. Reaching out to the lady in front of me, I slid past her with a gentle tap on her shoulder. She turned to move away from me as though looking for someone who wanted her attention. When really I was moving around her without much of a hindrance. The lady spun around and was looking for someone as I sped on by.

Reaching down with my right hand on the blaster handle, I could feel the cold metallic grip of the weapon. Drawing a sword was too noticeable. Instead, A blaster in the back would have to do. I started to close the distance. Peeking over to the man, I could barely see that he sped up as well. His hood hid him, but made him stick out more than I did with my hair. What got me to slow down my pace, was the sight of another Echani. Pale skin, bright white hair, and very similar features to many of our own kind. I slowed my pace down to a complete stop and slid past a man who exited the door of some shop. The doorway was indented into the building, and such had a little walkway that I hid myself in. Waiting and waiting for this man.

Closing my eyes, I focused my hearing. Attempting to hear what the man was up to. Searching through all of the sounds and voices, and noises. Only to discover him mid sentence.

"... familiar face? You just happen to be the little girl I am looking for. You know, You father misses you very much."

Was the Echani girl a runaway? and if so, then why was this guy showing up on a bounty list, but also looking for this girl? Wouldn't that just draw more attention to himself? I continued to watch. As much as I wanted to find out the story of this girl, I opted to just do my business and be done with it. Walking out from the cover, I gripped the blaster hard in my hand as I walked up. Letting my feet be silent and shoved the barrel of the blaster into the back of this man's cloak. Placing a hand on his upper arm as I looked over to the girl with a quick smile before turning my attention to him."

"You also happen to be the man I am looking for. You know, you have a price on your head."

I did notice the girl looked quite athletic. Maybe not muscular, but she took care of herself. Body was in good form, and the blue eyes told me she was likely a half-blood like myself. I am sure this was quite different than what she had dealt with before, but with many people, you never quite knew what was going to happen. Maybe this girl had a target on her head as well? if so, then I just got myself a double helping.

Shawn1.gif

Valgærd

I kept my eyes averted, downward cast, as I felt this man approaching closer and closer.

A deep breath in, hold it, count to five, let it out. I practiced the little trick dad had taught me. My heart had begun to race in my chest, but as I practiced this simple little breathing exercise, I felt it slow a little. I'd be fine, of course. I always was. How many times had I beel left waiting while the man who'd adopted me ran his errands? Too many to count. Hundreds of times I'd felt this rising panic when someone had walked in my general direction. The few times they'd actually stopped to talk to me directly? Once, someone had asked for directions. A few times I'd received compliments on my striking hair and complexion. A chuckle escaped my lips as I recalled the one drunken marriage proposal, which was endearing... until the same long-winded, heart-felt proposal was given to the very next traveler after I'd politely turned him down.

However, just as I felt my fears ebbing away, the man reached me. He stood only a few feet away, his shadow falling over me. Even after all these years, meeting someone else's gaze was still hard. So I kept my eyes downcast as he spoke, calling me a 'Little girl'. His words caused an involuntary shudder to rack my shoulders, a jolt of icy fear shooting through my core. I gritted my teeth, keeping my face turned away.

My father.

Not Zephyr Carrick, the man who's name I now took. Not my dad... but father. The Sith Echani that was responsible for the faint scars on my neck and back, and those on my soul. I grimaced, my entire body tensing in preparation to flee. However, before I could speak, another voice joined in. This did cause me to glance up.

Another Echani. A young man, about my age if not a few years one way or the other. He held something, I presumed a blaster or other weapon, at the man's back, judging by the way he'd frozen up. This was it, my opportunity. I pulled myself from wall, forcing my eyes up to the messenger's chin, as high as I dared go.

"I'd have you return a message to father." I said, slowly circling round to join the other Echani. With a little luck, this guy would think we'd planned it, and if my impromptu rescuerer didn't kill him straight up, he'd at least be hesistant to try again. "But, I don't happen to care one way or the other."

I turned to the man, and my breath caught in my throat. I faltered. Everything fell away from me. He looked... so familiar, as if... I'd known him from a dream, or something a long time ago. Those eyes, that intensity. Who... who was he? Becoming aware that I had fallen silent, and begun to stare, I hastily looked away, nervously toying with my braid out of the line of sight of father's messenger. Keeping my attention on the mysterious Echani, I spoke softly,

"It'll make a mess if you waste him here, Luke. You could let him scurry back to his hole if you like."

I hoped beyond hope that my bluff wasn't too obvious. I'd tried to keep my voice as even as possible, however, a single thought dominated my mind;

Who was this man?

[member="Shaun Irons"]

Holding the blaster to the man's back, His mouth agape with the sudden realization of what was going to go down. A sly smile fixed itself upon my face as I was very tempted to take a shot into his arm or leg. However, I was not sure if the bounty stated directly if he was to unharmed. However, it was the sudden breaking of silence by the girl. Her voice smooth and finding its place. Stating evenly that she had a message for him. Moving up and into his face to play like she was the boss of the situation, when I was the only one holding a weapon.

Looking towards her, I gave her a confused look. Only for me to receive a curious one as well. Bordering on staring at me. She looked nervous even with looking at me. I was just as confused as the man I was holding became. Waiting to hear some message to deliver to her father, which was not where this man was going to be taken. He had a price on his head, and I intended to claim it.

She kept my gaze as she played with her hair. Some sort of nervous tick? I doubt she found me attractive. Finding her voice once more, she spoke. Telling me to let go of the man so he could return the message to her "father" or whoever this other man was. Instead, I tightened my grip and poked the barrel harder into the back of this man. The audacity this... this... child has to tell me what to do when I am hunting for credits? The gall she had to call me by some random name to make it seem like we were on the same team.

I played along for the moment, but kept it in the tone I wished to have. Letting her know full and well that I was not letting this man go.

"Let a bounty go just so you can deliver a message? I think not Leia. We need the credits."

Shaking my head, I kept the blaster in his back while I reached down to pull out some cuffs. Slapping them quickly onto his wrists, I threw the man down onto the seat that the girl had once been sitting on. Not caring if he fell over or landed correctly.

"Nor do I think we want this chithead to report where he found us. More could come looking for us. We don't want that."

In all of the truth, "We" was more so the term for "ME" and "HER" in the respective sentences. I needed the credits, and if she had some other kind of bounty on her head, then she needed to stay off the radar. No need to send him scamping away only for more to look for her. Shaking my head, I let the blaster fall into the holster on my thigh before closing the strap to keep it in place.

"And what would you have done if he decided to attack you instead of goad? Argue with him?"

I shook my head at the girl. No real clue of what her real name was other than the name I returned to her with. Plus, we were both Echani. I wanted to know why she was all the way out here, and not back home. Why was she running away from her father, and how in the hell she got here on her own?

Valgærd

Relief.

Whomever he was, the young man decided to play along with my ruse. Even though he disagreed with my letting this thug scurry off back to father... he had decided not to let on that we weren't actually working together. My heart was beating wildly against my ribs, my fight or flight response ready to kick into full gear. I fought to keep my breathing even as I stood beside the snowy-haired man holding the blaster pistol. I took a step back as he reached for some cuffs, keeping my eyes on them as he bound and shoved our captive. The man stumbled towards the chair, turning his shoulder just quickly enough to land in the seat with a thud.

"I suppose you have a point," I replied, as he mentioned others coming to find us.

In truth, I had been planning to simply disappear again. I wasn't one to fight this, to give father or his goons any reason to be angrier with me than he likely already was. Were I alone, I'd have simply hopped a transport to anywhere and taken off to literally anywhere else. I'd stayed a step ahead of him this long, I could keep going. Even Zeph would know that I'd catch up with him again when I felt I was safe. This though, this felt... confrontational. But I suppose, he hadn't taught me to fight for nothing.

I watched as he holstered his blaster, turning to shake his head at me. Leaning on one hip, I raised one eyebrow at him. Tossing our captive a glance, I turned my attention back to the other Echani. I wanted to ask him who he was, to find out why he was here, why he decided to assist me, particularly if he didn't approve of how I wanted to handle it. I wanted to pick his brain, but I wasn't sure if it was yet safe to drop the facade.

"I would have done what I always do." Came my reply, "You know that."

I stepped nonchalantly around behind him onto his other side. I was hoping it simply looked like a casual move to wordlessly show that he had point in this, but in truth, I was putting the echani between me and the thug.

"Well... what do we do now? He's your prisoner."

[member="Shaun Irons"]

The girl was different. She was picking up what I threw down. Slowly coming to understanding that simply running will not end what will come for her. She will have to face whatever this was that she was running from. I didn't know what she was running from exactly, but with the clear scar upon her neck, and the way she seemed to be very shy and even moving me between herself and this man, I knew she could take care of herself, but didn't really have it in her. She couldn't pull the trigger if she knew that the person on the other end would feel pain from it. I could see it in her eyes. Despite this, I took one step back so I could still look at her, and keep an eye on the perp.

"Well he has a bounty on his head. Either we can turn him in to whoever has the bounty on his head..."

My words drifted off. My attention turning to the man as he just sat there silently. My head tilted ever so slightly. Looking him over, His arms were nearly at his sides. Not all the way to the center of his back. He had gotten out of the cuffs I had put on him. Resourceful little chit. I didn't want him to think I noticed so I shrugged my shoulders. Turning around but slowly moved my left hand under the shirt. The grip of the dagger felt very familiar in my hands as I continued to speak.

"I mean, the local police could be a place we can turn him in right? We don't want to expose ourselves."

I heard a shuffle behind me as I was nearing the middle of my sentences. Taking a step backward with my right foot, I pivoted on the ball of the same. Twisting around and pulling my dagger out in one smooth movement. The man had stood up and was attempting to raise his hands to fight me. However, the tip of the blade came swiftly to his chin. Stopping just short as he saw me.

"I believe, we will have to do something else Leia. Maybe ending his thieving deceitful life would be good for him."

My hand reached out and held onto his coat. Dagger pressed firmly against the soft of his underjaw. Threatening to slice him open and cut his tongue through his neck. Turning my eyes to her alone without moving my head, I raised an eyebrow. Wanting to know what she would do with him. Turn him in, or end his life and let his air be another breath for someone else who is more deserving of it.

Breathable air is precious after all.

Valgærd

I had been listening to this mystery man speak. He made sense, which was in equal parts annoying and relieving.

On the one hand, I would have just preferred to let this rat scurry back to his hole and not give it another thought. Out of sight, out of mind. Had I been alone and able to give this thug the slip, that's how it would have gone. However, damn it all, the echani was right. Letting the guy go came with its own risks. He had a point, if the guy left, he'd just scurry back to father and report where I was. Or worse, fall back and try again when this mystery man and I eventually parted ways. Maybe dad would come back before then. Maybe not. Still, it was a risk.

But on the other hand, it was also a relief that the man I'd crossed paths with was smart. His intentions I'd yet to discern, but he seemed to want to help me, for now at least, and that coupled with how capable he clearly was, I felt safe enough.

"You're right," I shrugged.

But before I could go on, the man noticed our captive had made a move escape, and suddenly grabbed him, pressing a dagger to his throat. I stepped back with a yelp, my hands moving to my own throat. I turned away, squeezing my eyes shut and cringing. My heart raced in my chest, my stomach churning. Why did he have to go for the throat? My arms tucked into my chest, I felt my fingers caress the now feint scar on my skin. A single thought enveloped my mind.

I know what that feels like
Of all the things I wished I to change about myself, that was the one memory I would purge from my mind if I could. The calm, collected facade had fallen and a shaking, trembling girl with tears in her eyes had taken her place.

"Kill him." I managed to blurt out, "quickly."

[member="Shaun Irons"]

This was new. My attention turned to the girl as she covered her mouth and squealed out in surprise. I could understand why that might scare her. The sudden jumping up of the man intending to fight back, as well as my own reaction of keeping him at bay with a dagger to the throat. I was so very close to shoving it into his skull. However, the man looked at the girl with a curious face. One that was confused. I was as well with her almost yelling at me to kill him. Looking around me, I saw that we were grabbing some attention to ourselves. We were not in some private quarters, we were in the open. People were staying far and away from us as we had been speaking, but even more so now that this man was being threatened to be killed.

Quickly, I made a decision that the girl would not like. I pulled the dagger down with a jerking motion. Slashing it through his clothing and into the nape of his neck. A small cut, but that was all that was needed for the dagger to cause a massive amount of pain. He almost fell to the floor in the sheer pain of it. Reaching down once more, I pulled the cuffs closed around his wrists and sheathed my blade.

Yanking him to the side, I reached out and grabbed the upper arm of the girl. If she wanted to kill this guy, then we would do so in private. That way it only looked like this was a bounty. I pushed the man into a group of people who started to yell at me and call for security as I was leading the man away towards my ship. Pushing him faster and pulling onto the girl to keep her with me. Despite whatever she may be doing, My clearly superior strength was doing it's best to hold onto her and almost drag her with me. Stopping a moment, I sent a foot into the back of the man's knee. Forcing him to kneel as I turned around to the girl.

"You need to stop yelling like that. You exposed us, and now we have to move. Hold your tongue, and follow me. Right?"

Part of me knew she would simply because of what was happening, but after yanking the man back onto his feet by his hair, I pushed him forward while still holding hands with the girl behind me. Pushing past the security who were asking questions.

"It's called a bounty Gentleman. Look it up."

One of the men shook his head as he clearly understood what was going on. The second started to chase after us to ask us questions though. Why did chit like this always have to break down with the complicated bounties? Just the simple bag and tags were much easier and worth my time. This was going a little far. Playing brother to this girl when I was not, and then having to take her to my ship that I wanted to keep private from others. Echani were well noticed in the outer galaxy. I liked keeping to myself, and no one messing with me. But this situation was different. I would have to deal with this differently after we were well gone from the star port.

Valgærd

Something that was part-gasp-part-strangled-yelp half-escaped my throat as this man suddenly jerked the arm that held the dagger.

The thug slumped to the ground, my own fingers curling as the sensation I'd long-since buried suddenly shot back to the surface. For a moment, I went back to the streets of Eshan. Eleven years old, hurrying behind father, stopping when we were confronted... However, I was pulled from this memory as the thug moaned loudly. There was... not a lot of blood, not enough. I realised, then, as my gaze went from the thug to the echani and my hands uncoiled from my neck somewhat. It hadn't been a kill-shot. He had... found a nerve or something, subdued him.

I was still trying to make sense of it all when suddenly I felt a strong hand around my upper arm. The echani was taking both of us away from here. I stumbled, trying to keep up with him. He was clearly stronger than me, but I wasn't trying to resist. I wasn't trying to do anything, really. My mind was still reeling from being flung back to that awful place. He stopped, forcing the thug to kneel as he turned to face me. His words were harsh... not malicious, but sharp. I cringed, dropping my head and biting my lower lip as my cheeks burned. Stupid girl. That's what father would have said, stupid girl, you're a disgrace to the echani and the sith.

"S-sorry," I mumbled, sounding for a moment very much like the eleven-year-old girl I felt like in that moment, "w-won't happen again. Lead the way, Sir"

Sir? That was... something I hadn't used in a long time. Zeph had very gently coaxed me away from that word, the title my father had me use when we were in public. Had I truly regressed that much after what I'd just witnessed?

I glanced up as he explained to the security that had shown up, very curtly, what was going on, before pushing through to move on. I ducked my head quickly and followed, blocking out all else. Well, I was in this, now. I'd gone and opened my big mouth, made a fool of myself, again. Could it be, after all this time, that father was right? I cringed, ill-at-ease with how that thought sat with me. I hoped wherever we were going we'd arrive soon. This stranger made me feel like some little sister who was just a burden that coudn't do anything right, and I was eager to be rid of him and that feeling.

[member="Shaun Irons"]

The girl followed me. Even calling me sir. I could only wonder why she had frozen up so quickly. Echani were supposed to be warriors by trade. Trained at a young age to fight for their lives and using their skills as a communication tool between our species. To understand one another. I had noticed that the scar on her neck was likely from a blade. Was my actions towards the man, my almost slitting his own throat, and the sudden change. Was this some kind of trauma that she had in her past? This must have set her off.

As I pushed the man up the ramp, the girl followed me into my ship. Before her feet even were inside, the ramp was already folding up into the ship. I didn't want anyone else to follow us. Moving towards the cargo bay of the ship, I threw the man against the wall. His painful grunt from irritating the wound he sustained was clearly heard. Going to the corner of the room, I retrieved some bandings. Putting the man against one of the chairs in the room, I strapped him to it rather quickly. He tried to fight back, but couldn't do much with the pain flaring up. In fact, I took my finger and shoved it into the wound and twisted to make sure he stayed.

"Tilt over, and you will stay there the rest of this trip."

Walking away from the man, I closed the door to the ship and locked it. Making sure that the girl was out of the room before I stood by her. She was still frozen it seemed? Or was she just thinking about this? Letting her stand there, I tossed my coat over to a table off to the side and went into the cockpit. Taking the ship off and letting us float into space. Not really headed anywhere, but enough away that we weren't stuck in hyperspace, nor could we go back to the spaceport if needed. However, I doubted it.

Returning to the girl. My arm began to reach out for the girl. Wanting to grab her shoulder once more, but stopped. Instead, I slowly let my hand extend to the side. My jacket floating to my hand. Slowly, I walked around her and put the jacket over her shoulders and led her to the bench that wrapped around the table. Indicating for her to sit, I then pulled one of the chairs up and sat down myself.

Just sitting there. Not saying any words. Not doing anything. Just waiting for her. Nothing I could do at the moment would break the spell that she had herself in. Only she could break out of it.

Valgærd

His ship.

It occurred to me that this was the second time extrenuating circumstances that I could have never predicted led me to board a strange man's ship while out of reach of my father-figure. The irony was not lost on me that the father that had rescued me last time was the one left on the station this time.

However, much as I felt like it, I was no trembling eleven-year old anymore.

I winced as the echani subdued our thuggish friend quite viciously. How had I regressed so far so quickly? Waiting by the door, I stood simply wringing my hands together, forcing myself to watch as the thug was tied to the chair and ordered to stay. I had to get used to this. I had to get over this. I tensed as the echani approached me, closing and locking the door behind him. Should I say something? Explain why I clammed up? Apologise? I was still thinking about my decision as he removed his coat and went--I assumed--to the cockpit. Of course, I hadn't considered that there might be other men like our prisoner at the station, perhaps it was safer to hide out here for a little while. Zeph knew, he would know to leave and that I would message him when I safe.

My fingers brushed the datapad clipped to my thigh. Was I safe, yet?

I turned to face the echani as he returned. He reached for me, causing my muscles to tense and my jaw to tighten. He must have noticed, for his hand moved instead to bring forth his coat through the force. I remained still as he moved around me, draping it over my shoulders.

There was... something about that gesture. The smell of the coat, the warmth from his body still lingering in the fabric. It was like a comforting embrace, and I felt myself let out a soft sigh without even realising it. When he indicated, I sat, lowering myself into the seat opposite him. For a moment, neither of us spoke, I supposed we were both still processing what had happened. How did I start this? How do start a conversation after... something like that?

"I'm... Ember," I began slowly, forcing my fingers to lace together and rest on the table. At lesat this way they weren't lingering around my scar. "Thank you, and uh... sorry I kinda freaked out back there. I owe you...?"

I left the unasked question hanging in the air, it was his decision to either introduce himself or simply brush it aside.

[member="Shaun Irons"]

Sitting there for a moment, all of her actions was going to lead somewhere. Watching her only showed me quite a bit. Probably PTSD, nightmares of what happened in her past, and troubles with family was so very clear, that I would assume her mother was out of the picture, and hence why the father was so attached to her. Every action I took made her feel on edge, that was until I stopped being forceful with her. Giving her the jacket visibly calmed her down to some extent. Almost as though this was a familiar feeling to her.

She held herself low and looked away from me. Playing with her hands and trying to hide it in her stomach and under the jacket that covered her. It was when she finally broke the silence with her name. Also stating to me that she was sorry. I sat there without any emotion upon my face. Just looking and study her. What surprised me was that she spoke of owing me. My first thoughts were that she was headed on the right path. That man could have taken her life, so she owed me hers. However, she was a girl. Alone and hiding from someone. I had never had to hide from anyone. My father was an open man and always told me to try and understand people as best as I could. Only then could I judge what to do with them and how I would feel about my interactions with them.

I had to agree here.

"Shaun. The only thing you owe me, is answers."

Tilting my head to her, I was just going to ask questions of the situation. I wanted to know, and understand more of her. Why she was running. If it was a good cause, then fine. Let her go, or take her to her next stop. If she was running away just to piss someone off or just because she wanted to toss chit to the fan, then i'll throw her out the air lock, and then return her to her father.

"It seems like whatever questions I may ask will be pressing, and still raw. So answer only as much as you are willing."

Standing up, I walked over to the side. Opening a hatch to reveal a table. I pulled out a simple jug of water and poured two glasses. Speaking as I worked my way back over to the table, I then offered her the drink. I am sure she may have been parched or wanted just something to fiddle with. A cup of water would maybe do that.

"You do not like your father for one reason or another. So you run from him. Why?"

Valgærd

Shaun.

I kept my chin tilted down, as per usual, but my eyes flicked up to study him through my lashes. He was handsome, that was for sure. A piercing, icy gaze that only Echani boys seemed capable of. His skin pale and blemishless. His hair was white and snowy, gleaming in the artificial lights, like I assumed mine was. So, he had a name after all. Shaun.

Now that the brute was out of sight and the dagger no in my view, I could feel myself calming down already. I didn't want to take any dumb risks by letting down my guard, but my shoulders settled a little as he stood and returned with some water. Answers, that was fair enough. I accepted the glass gratefully, my fingers wrapped around it, holding it in front f me for a moment. Sure, I was thirsty, incredibly, in fact. But old habits die hard and even good old Zeph had never been able to shake me of my need to wait for the man around to eat or drink before I did.

"Believe it or not, there's a fully functioning adult woman in here somewhere." I replied, "ask away. What I know, I'll tell you."

With perhaps the possible exception of the data theft because there's no way that's related to this.

My eyes flicked from the water back up to him at the mention of my father. My body didn't flinch, although if he was studying me close enough, he might have seen my throat twitch as I swallowed. My gaze moved to his hands, waiting for him to take a sip from his glass so I could. After a breath, I moved my free hand to pull the jacket around myself. I was definitely over it now, but still... the pseudo-hug was nice.

"My father" I began, spitting the word out like bad wine, "is the one who gave me this, when I was eleven. I shudder to think what he wants from me now, what more he could do to me."

I glanced up, pursing my lips as I forced my fingers away from my scar,

"It's not running, not really. His attempts are half-assed at best. I think he's just reminding me that he's still here. He's still unimpressed. If he actually wanted me back not you, not me, not Zeph... no one would be able to stop him."

[member="Shaun Irons"]

The telling of what was going on made me consider for her life. Pure disgust and hatred in the words that came from her lips. She clearly hated her father. She was not fond of what he did to her. Explaining that the scar along her neckline was caused by the same man, before she was even a teenager. That made me have two very different and distinct feelings. Firstly, I was thankful that my own father treated me well. He led me down a path that nearly set me up to go far within life. Secondly, I felt... anger. Anger for this girl and could understand having someone betray you. Your own flesh and blood attempt to kill you.

I never wished that upon anyone I felt horrid to know that this girl, who did look rather well made, and was sculpted by some divine being, had been treated in such a way. Finally, I was confused about this. The two emotions battling one another for control over what to say to her. To throw it in her face and state that many people have it worse, or to console her and let her know that not all people can act that way. Not everyone could be so cruel.

The taunting that this father was hitting his daughter, made me completely understand why she used my help. Showing that she was better off than she really was, could show her father to bring it on. To show him that she didn't need him in any form. It made some sense with all of this. While she spoke, I drank my water. Rather quickly with about half of the glass was now empty as I let the glass touch the table.

"So you and this Zeph are working together to keep you away from your father? Or is this Zeph something else?"

I could only assume this Zeph was some kind of boyfriend or close friend of hers. This would make some sense. There was only one more question.

"If so, then why are you alone now?"

Valgærd

The moment this man brought the glass of water to his lips and drank, I did the same.

He would have definitely seen my movements as slow and polite. But he may or may not have noticed the tenseness in my muscles and my throat, literally holding myself back from gulping it down. Zeph had been wonderful as a loving, caring father and a brilliant mentor, but it seemed that there were some habits so heavily ingrained even he couldn't break them. I placed my glass back on the table after one sip, tapping my fingers delicately on the side of it. A tiny smile tugged at the corners of my mouth at the question. I subtly shrugged one shoulder, moving my free hand to grab the corner of the coat and make sure it didn't slip off,

"Zeph is... he kind of adopted me." I explained, "He's been more of a father to me than I ever thought I deserved. This... this isn't the first time we've had to unexpectedly split up. I'll send him a message when I know I'm safe."

My answer was two-fold, partly giving this man the information he needed, but also subtly probing him for a little of my own. Was I safe? Was I free to send my message? Or was there something here I should still be wary about?

"Um... would you mind terribly if I asked your name? I ought to know who to repay for my rescue, after all."

[member="Shaun Irons"]

So Zeph was the man who adopted her. Taking her in under his wing as it were. However, it seemed that sometimes, the man had to do some kind of work, or had a habit of doing something that prevented him from being always at her side. Instead he was there in mind and heart. Which was a rather unique prospective for her to grow up in. I could only assume that he took her in when she was fairly young. As for the age? Not sure. Also coming forth that she would send a message to him when she felt she was safe. I nodded my head.

I was mulling this over when the girl then asked for my name. Confused about the situation, I was tempted to just slap her upside the head like a child. However, I changed my mind and just smirked lightly.

"You must have hit your head at some point in the rush. I told you my name was Shaun before I started asking questions."

Standing up from the table, I started to undo the second set of belts I had around my side. They held my swords around my side. Pulling them off of me, I walked over to a closet. Opening it up, it clearly showed some form of light armor hanging in the center, with odds and ends hanging. Blaster cells, a rifle leaning off to the side, and upon opening a small panel on the side, it revealed a couple more swords. Ones that I carried with me for various reasons. A smuggler wouldn't be known to carry bright songsteel swords.

I continued to speak as I was focusing on putting the swords and my blaster up, as well as the dagger.

"Shaun Irons. I am a hunter. Animals, people, or beings it matters not. Echani just as you, and just trying to make a living. No special story for me. Well..."

I sighed at that last statement. I was a different creature than her to be fair. After taking some tests, it was a futile attempt to discover who my mother was. In the process, I learned that I had gene codes resembling that of an Energy Vampire. I kept this to myself for a very long time. That was something very special. Something I couldn't tell anyone. Food gave me some sustenance, but there were times... where the hunger pangs could not be silenced with conventional food. I needed energy from a being. A living or dying being. Even creatures of the night, or animals worked in a pinch.

"I am a little different than most, but not something too meaningful."

Randomly, I started to remove my shirt. Underneath was a black tank created out of a fiberweave. A very light form of armor that could easily be hidden under clothing that was even just the slightest bit larger than my normal clothes. Around my neck was a necklace that I had been given by my father. One that apparently belonged to my mother. The gems hanging around my neck felt weighty to me, but when strangely became lighter whenever I took it off.

Turning around to the girl,

"Anyways, You are not who I am turning in for a bounty, or wishing ill intent. Your life is that of a girl trying to find some semblance of normality comparable to other species. Ember, you are safe here. The man in the other room won't hurt you, and if he tried... well you get the idea."

After removing all of the weapons from me and putting them away, I leaned up against the wall and untied my boots and removed them. Revealing the same color of black socks I wore which were folded under the fiberweave body glove.

"While I am a bounty hunter, and I do seek payment, I will not ask you of anything. If you need to go somewhere? Free of charge. However, if you want to stay and have some semblance of safety, I only ask that you pick up after yourself, and you earn your keep. Payment in credits is not necessary."

Removing my pants, it showed the full black bodyglove that I wore underneath. It was tight and form fitting to me. Considering I made it as a form of underarmor and would be wearing it nearly every second of my life out here in the galaxy, There were times I just wanted something else. However, for the time being, I wanted to show her that it was okay to "make herself at home" as it were. Twisting to the side to unzip the side of the fiberweave, and pull the strings that held it all in place.

"Questions for me?"

Valgærd

I cringed.

The moment he said his name, I recalled him having already given it. At his remark, I instinctively put my hands to my temples, rubbing them slightly. Maybe I had hit my head on something. Maybe the stress from reliving my worst memory had purged my brain of all sense and function. Maybe I was just more ditzy than I cared to admit.

"Oh... right." I mumbled, keeping quiet as I watched him.

He slowly got up, continuing to speak as he removed the belt that held to stately looking swords at his hips. Instinctively, my heart leapt for a moment, my mind suddenly jumping to conclusions as the man I was alone with started to slide the belt through its loops. However, blushing, I shushed my thoughts and turned my eyes back to my glass. Something about what he said next seemed to stick out to me.

"Half-echani" I corrected him, almost without realising I'd said it, "I... I'm only half-echani."

Shaun went on, letting me know I was safe here. He... offered me a safe place on his ship. It was something I hadn't expected, seeing as he seemed to be at best indifferent to me. Nonetheless I couldn't help but smile at the idea. Earning my keep was something I'd become very good at; after all, Zeph had never complained about my cooking or tidying up after him.

I drew in a breath, reigning in my wandering thoughts as he leaned against the wall in a form-fitting black bodyglove. The contrast struck me, a moonlit pale form in the ebony fabric. I bit my bottom lip, forcing myself to keep my gaze on his face and not let it wander down the lines of his figure beneath the suit. My eyes remained on his lower jaw, as I still had trouble meeting the gaze of another directly.

"I'm quiet and clean," I promised, "I can cook, if you're serious about keeping me around. As for questions?"

I paused, collecting my thoughts.

"Without meaning to step out of line, what were you doing at the station? Were you tracking that chithead?"

[member="Shaun Irons"]

Half-echani. Just like myself I guess. However, not likely the same idea that I was. Either way, the size zipper was pulled down and allowed me to slink my arm out of the fiberweave. Exposing a bare arm as I then removed my other arm from the sleeve as well. Pulling the top over my head and letting the fiber armor lean over to the side. Exposing my bare chest only for a couple moments. Ember asked me what I was doing there. Despite her taking me up on the offer of staying with me for a while, I would not mind. In fact, might help with her cleaning up the ship while I was getting bounties or hunting. Either way, I nodded my head.

"Bounty hunters hunt for people. However, I had only seen him walking around and his face matched a bounty that was on his head. Thought I may as well have taken it when he ran into you. Rest is history."

Beginning to take off my clothes, the fiber weave was dropped to the floor. Exposing everything. I stood before this girl completely in the nude. However, I could already see that this was taking some effect on her. She was almost embarrassed it seemed. I raised my eyebrow when I reached into the closet to grab a pair of slacks and pull them onto myself. At first I was confused, and that is when it hit me. Normally people don't get undressed in front of each other. Growing up, I lived in a one room house. Clothing was worn to protect us from bugs and to keep us warm. Not because we cared to cover up our skin.

I hated that fact of living out in the wilderness with my father. Never quite understood why people would be so embarrassed about their body, or other bodies. I let out a nervous chuckle as I tightened the strings around my waist to keep it there. Grabbing a shirt and pulling it over myself. I then stood there awkwardly.

"Sorry about that. I forget that people wear clothes to cover insecurities, and blemishes. I grew up quite differently from what other people are used too."

Reaching for the table, I grabbed the glass of water that she had been using and refilled it. Letting her know that she could have as much as she wanted. Either way, I felt sorry for what I did. While I myself was embarrassed because I had been forgetful about the situation, I would have to work more often on remembering that people have this expectation of "modesty" that I did not grow up with. Sighing a bit, I shook my head before speaking again.

"Anyways, make yourself at home here if you would like. We can stop at the next stop and get you some new clothes or whatever you may need. I'll ah... I'll check on your friend in the other room."

Getting up, I started to head that way.

Valgærd

I listened to my echani... captor? Rescuer? Host? A little of all three, I supposed

Any minute now I expected him to stop. Either he would wander into another room to finish getting changed, or perhaps pause his undressing to finish the conversation. Any minute now, right? Nope. All of a sudden he was naked, standing in the room that suddenly seemed a whole lot smaller. I gasped, my gaze lingering on him in shock for a moment before I hastily dropped my face to my knees, my cheeks blushing deep red. As he apologised, I bit my lip, fingers curling as they rested on top of my knees. Well that was far more than I had expected to learn about him... just yet at least. I mean, I wasn't exactly complaining.

"Oh no it's alright!" I replied hurriedly, "a lot of cultures dispense with our no doubt bizarre tendency to wear clothes. N-not that wearing clothes is bizarre, oh! Not... not that it's bizarre not to, or that I wouldn't... but I'm not saying... um..."

I hung my head, biting my lip as my cheeks seemed to grow even warmer. Good job, Ember. Way to come across smoothly. My hands moved to nervously toy with the braid hanging over my shoulder as I took a breath and forced myself to recover somewhat. After a few moments, I glanced up, seeing with some relief and if I'm honest a little surprising disappointment that he'd regained a little modesty of his own.

He mentioned going into the next room to check on our thug captive, along with potentially stopping so I could pick up a change of clothes. That sounded nice, these weren't exactly the most comfortable or warm shorts in the galaxy, but at the same time, I cringed at the idea of being a burden. I shook my head and drew a breath,

"Oh I hate to be a bother," I replied, "I can live in these if need be it's no drama."

I let a hand fall to my hip, indicating to the heavily modified datapad clipped to my belt,

"My life is on that. I have it, I have what I need."
[member="Shaun Castanic"]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom