Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Two Little Shadows

Dis the Shadow(cat)
Shadowcat, explorer and wanderer
Yj6qo96.png
Equipment: N/A
Tag: Kal Kal
x6D4WMI.png
Dis was still quite new in the material world, it didn’t have too much experience with those there yet, but it got really bad at first. Some tried to kill it when Dis used the man's pet as a host and spoke up. Soon learned the living things behave very strangely when they see a talking animal. It was more accepted when the little Shadow whispered like a shadow or just spoke telepathically to someone.

~ Living creatures are weird, why is it easier to accept it when they hear sounds in their heads than an animal who can talk? ~

Asked those around it, there weren’t too many, but maybe it would get an answer from someone. Of course, Dis also had a humanoid shadow form, but still, preferred animals, especially cats. In the meantime, the Shadow looked at the building under construction; despite the bad experiences, the living beings and the material world were also interesting, with countless miracles and interesting experiences. Has not yet made acquaintances with others, although has already spoken to many. What it liked most was that the people were happy, which is why it had one, more ideas, which made it want to ask Greystone for help.

~ To whom, what has you had the strangest experience with the living creatures so far? ~

Was curious when was among the living, was even thinking about book publishing. Dis loved strange things, as well as being able to delight others with what was doing. So far, books - with lots of pictures - and animals have seemed the best for this…

gU6KoIz.png

Relaying a sense of amusement alongside his reply to his fellow Shadow, Kal found himself wondering just what organics Dis had met.

<Not easier to accept, just more... mystical. Abstract. A talking animal is an immediate anomaly able to be responded to physically, while a telepathic projection without an obvious source is less so. It might interact with local mythology.> Another sense of amusement, this one tinged with puzzlement.

<That said, it might be as simple as an animal's differing vocal cords producing subpar oration. That could certainly terrify an organic.>

Perhaps that was why the Shadowcat had turned to Greystone; their diverse interests and operations certainly brought with a certain understanding of what made the average sentient tick, though Kal had to admit much of their society remained a mystery to him. The same could be said for the beings themselves, of course, as made evident by the sheer number of contradicting hypotheses in the social sciences.

<Hmm, I once had a Queen - an hereditary leader - drag me from the Nether and bind me during a failed attempt to summon her dead mother.>

Dis Dis

• Love
Reactions: Dis
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
Dis question was met with innumerable emotions, along with a few answers, yet the emotions and thoughts conveyed by one of the nearby Shadow were the strongest. He was Kal. There have been stories from the others that Kal was the one who spends most of his time in the maternal world and gained a lot of experience. Of course, these were just rumours, it couldn’t be sure it really was. As Kal replied, Dis relayed curiosity and interest toward its partner, showing him that it was paying attention to him.

~ Yet the “average” Shadow might think that after what happened in the material world, one can no longer surprise those who live there. ~ replied thoughtfully, amused by the average word, for Dis did not think of any Shadow as average.

Made a gesture that most closely resembled a nod, i.e., the shadows first moved up and then down around the Shadowcat, and then hovered further in all directions around the all-black central part and snow-white eyes. Again, thoughtful and pensive feelings left Dis as pondered Kal's words. In the end, the shadows shuddered and shook slightly, creating a feeling of satisfaction and amusement; a laughter.

~ I have to say, even with the Loong cat host, I spoke more eclectically and more understandable than the poor animal's owner! ~

Found this part very fun. However, the sequel was less of that. Especially the fact that Kal asked Dis question again. It conveyed interest at first, but that feeling soon turned into something else as the other Shadow reached the end of its story.

~ Oh! How immodest and rude! ~ answered with deep indignation and confusion. ~ I have experienced this kind of behavior from the organic ones as well, as well as the fact that their first act for everything is violence. Instead of talking and trying to understand the world around them. They are more afraid of the unknown and try to destroy it. ~ continued the thought with disapproval.

The Shadowcat slightly ruffled its fur coat of shadows and shook itself after the “words”.

~ How did you get out of captivity? ~ its voice was curious again.

gU6KoIz.png

• Love
Reactions: Kal
The Shadowcat was not wrong, but it was correct in such a way as to betray its lack of experience with organics. It was not an unusual thing in Shadows, especially those most used to realspace - the shades of the dead were deeply flawed, often single-minded, but one thing they had transcended.

<Organics are complex in ways we are not, Dis. They are not just a mind, but a body as well, their free will wrapped in layers of hormones and other such weirdness. It can lead to some... strange behavioural patterns. Especially in stressful situations.> Not that they too did not have their quirks, it just tended to be in more idiosyncratic ways. Less hormones, disease, and faulty memory, more a, ah, state of differentness.

Broadcasting his agreement on the general principles of his peer's statement, some hesitation nonetheless tinged Kal's mentality.

<Quite, though this one at least had a more understandable reason: The loss of one close to her and the desire to reverse that loss.> Considering for a moment, he relayed something along the lines of a mental shrug. <As for how I got away, it's complicated. A story for another day.>

A twin, a Sith mother, and the search for a throne, among other things. Quite the unusual series of events.

• Love
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
Dis continued to listen to Kal with interest as he continued to speak. Shadowy tail moved back and forth, showing interest, but emotions were also felt from its direction that it was still wondering what the fellow Shadow might tell. Yeah, it was really lucky to do that, maybe the organics seemed a little scary compared to what they were, the Shadows. Maybe too complex; however, Dis has not yet decided on this issue.

~ But we can get into a similar state, but most of us still don’t behave that way. ~

Ruffled its fur incomprehensibly in its words and radiated that feeling from itself. Dis found that in situations like this, the organics are really weird. However, also remembered something about it, so by showing interest and projecting it again, turned back to Kal.

~ Have you ever met someone who was able to push you out of your body when you possessed the organic one? ~

Asked and meanwhile also sent a sense of curiosity towards its partner. If received an answer, Dis already had one more question on this topic. Wanted to prepare before deciding to try to possess sentient organic beings again.

~ How much do the organics remember the time when we possessed them? I never had a chance to ask them about it. ~

Understandable reason? Dis sharpened its ears curiously, and the shadow tail also rose high. It had never thought about what it would be like to lose another Shadow, so it couldn't really understand that emotion yet. Shadow ears and tail also drooped when it finally received no response to the answer and it really wanted to hear it.

~ I hope one day you will tell me. ~ “said” with hope.

gU6KoIz.png

• Love
In verbal communication, the criticism Kal projected towards Dis might have been misunderstood for judgement, but in this medium, it was clear that it was more a reminder to always consider multiple sides of a question. <It is true that we can inhabit their bodies, but our consciousness remains our own. In a body or in our true form, it houses our higher mental functions, memory, you name it. The host is extra processing power.>

From what he had heard, possession was even detectable on brain scans. Some of the time, anyway.

Sensing the follow-up, Kal let the Shadowcat ask away about possession so as to consider the answers jointly; they would, after all, paint a picture of what his fellow knew and did not know. <I have not failed to possess an organic, though I have encountered organics I would likely not have been able to overwhelm had I tried; as for what they remember, it varies significantly.>

Pausing briefly, he relayed the concepts of control, cooperation, and subtle infiltration. <Assuming you are referring to seizing direct control, that can very much bring with it memory loss, yes. It depends on how thoroughly the native mind is suppressed, really.>

The way in which it was communicated made it clear enough that Kal favoured them remembering nothing or only false memories.

Dis Dis

• Love
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
The conversation was very good for Dis so far, already had a lot more tangible information than before. It wasn’t that didn’t want to explore or gain new knowledge on its own because really enjoyed this occupation, but it was still good to hear about it from a much more experienced Shadow. Continued to sharpen its ears with interest and only the end of its tail moved back and forth. A sign of interest and curiosity. In the end, as Dis nodded, the shadows rippled around it and followed its movement, then stopped again, just as the Shadowcat hadn't moved.

~ Yes, I understand that. Although I thought we had feelings too, those I met among our Shadow peers didn’t behave as irrationally as the organics. I think irrational is the best word. ~

Expressed its own thought and experience. Knew it was possible that it was mainly “talking” and meeting Shadows who didn’t have much experience with it. Dis was curious, mostly based on its own bad experiences. And because it occurred to them that it should create something that could help the other fellow Shadows’ life if they decided to go into the material world. It seemed such a noble and kind plan to Dis.

Continued to hear important and interesting information, which continued to “listen to” with great interest. Not literally, as the conversation was still telepathic between the two of them. Dis continued to relay interest in Kal's direction, and the shadows around the Shadowcat suggested so.

~ Could it still be interesting to me, or to other Shadows who haven’t tried this before, how can you tell this? Can you feel that someone has too much willpower or mental strength? ~

Nodded at the following, the shadows rippling around it again. This is exactly what Dis was wondering about whether to suppress consciousness or not. The Shadowcat was in a similar opinion as Kal, it would have preferred to give false memories, or it would have been really good to have a symbiotic relationship with someone who would allow this, remember and take care of each other. Maybe Diw was too naive…

~ Yes, that's exactly what I meant, thank you, Kal! ~ replied, and its shadow tail rose high in satisfaction.

gU6KoIz.png

• Love
Perhaps the Shadowcat had a point in that organics were especially irrational, at times, but it was hardly unique to them. He knew Shadows that were mostly arbitrary in their actions and others guided entirely by logic's cold hand. He himself was likely somewhere in the middle, as were most.

Expressing his amusement in the telepathic equivalent of a chortle, it was clear that Kal's abilities in that department were not quite that advanced.

<Not quite, though that would certainly be useful. I tend to be able to notice Force Sensitivity, however, which usually correlates with far, far stauncher resistance from what I know. Especially in trained individuals - many make little effort to conceal their presence.> Not to mention a significantly higher risk of detection and the ability to harm Shadows in their true form. Quite the hazard, in other words.

<For most people it is a matter of deduction; those who dedicate themselves to the service of others, who give in to their impulses frequently and spectacularly, who kowtow to their superiors with minimal complaint - these often make the best sleeves.>

It went without saying that strength of will and Force Sensitivity tended to be beneficial in a willing host.

Dis Dis

• Love
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
Shadowcat has typically observed emotions in organics so far, studying them as it realizes that it, too, feels better near those who are in a good mood. Before that, it was typically in a neutral mood and tried to approach everything objectively, but at times the curiosity was also very strong. So in the past, Dis too was more of a logical Shadow, from where its personality shifted to the middle ground that most of them were on, but could never be called arbitrary.

Though not conveyed happiness or amusement to Kal, the shadows as they rippled around the Shadowcat made it clear what mood it felt. “Nodded” again and the shadows followed, but this time also sent sympathetic feelings after its movements.

~ I also experienced something similar. When I concentrated, I saw auras of different brightness or just nothing. Whoever was stronger or weaker, mostly bright white or dark, deteriorated. This was that? ~

The question may have seemed childish, but Dis really hasn’t had much experience with the Force so far. Nodded again, the rest of the part was understandable, just didn't know yet if they were talking about the same phenomenon or something else. At the end of Kal's words, the Shadowcat ears and tail winced again, along with the shadows around it and this time conveyed a fascination mixed with grief to Kal.

~ This sounds both fascinating and sad. Organic animals are much simpler than this… ~

Maybe that's why Dis tried them almost always, didn't know.

~ What do you think of the many interesting and weird items our Shadow comrades have already collected or made for Greystone Mercantile? ~

gU6KoIz.png

• Love
Relaying his approval, Kal nodded to the Shadowcat's guesswork. <Indeed! Many trained Force Users seem to radiate such auras, much like some spirits do. There are certainly those who know how to make their presence more subtle, however, alongside those able to resist through will alone.>

Not to mention that the Shadow's strength of will and in the Force had an effect too, but that went without saying.

Radiating a sense of enthusiasm at the prospect of their efforts to collect and create peculiar items of some interest or utility, Kal bobbed his shadowy head again. <Oh yes, I find the whole thing lovely! I myself have recovered a Holocron - a repository of mortal Force knowledge - a few minor curios, and the indentured services of a high-value mortal or two.>

<I sometimes wish I could keep it all, but trading it for more curiosities is good too!>

Not to mention a nascent interest in creation, though other than a subsidiary role in the creation of Living Clay and later the Weavers his efforts in that regard had been quite humble. A bit of material alchemy here, modifications to a flower to encourage proliferation there.

Dis Dis

• Love
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
Even before the answer, it received the answer consisting of emotions; a confirmation that it was the way the Shadowcat thought. It was good to know that they both thought of the same phenomenon, even if Dis wasn’t sure at first that it really was. It thought in a similar way to Kal what the other Shadow had said.

~ I think that too, it sounds pretty logical. I guess it can be a matter of practice, as with us, what we are capable of. ~

Dis couldn’t do much yet, though it wasn’t that old and had dealt with other things before. Until it went into the world of organics, it didn’t even think the way he does now. Since then, the Shadowcat has plans and wants to achieve things. Before that, Dis was just curious. Now it wanted to be more than curious. It was glad that it was not the only one who was enthusiastic about the things Dis found in the material world, but also Kal.

As the other Shadow began to tell, Dis curled it shadow ears again with interest and also raised it tail, conveying curiosity and interest toward its peer. At the Holocron, tilted its head slightly to the side, the shadows following Dis movement. Had not heard that word before, but also received an explanation.

~ You’ve found a lot more interesting things so far than I have. These Holocrons sound very exciting. So far, I’ve mostly collected little things that are bad, broken and I’ve fixed them, renewed them. ~

Compared to Kal's story, this seemed such a small thing. But didn't understand one thing.

~ How do you know if someone has great value? ~

Nodded to the next again, it too would have liked to keep some trinkets, but the Shadowcat saw that they were making others more happy, so Dis did not keep them but passed them onto others. It’s only done a few little things, nothing like Kal yet, but already had plans, so soon it’ll try to create things too… see if it succeeds or not.

gU6KoIz.png

Last edited:
  • Love
~ How do you know if someone has great value?~

Quite the question, there. One with many, many potential answers. After no small amount of consideration - one of the nice parts of conversing with his fellow Shadows and not fleeting mortals that were always in a hurry to eat, or sleep, or produce a legacy - he arrived at an appropriate answer.

<Value for me is not value for you, which is not value for the "man on the streets." Some consider beauty or wits or brawn or selflessness the factor of greatest importance, there is often a cultural component.> Indicating his opinion that such methods were inadequate with a less verbal bit of telepathy, he seemed almost oddly cheerful of his ignorance. <Alas, I have no way of judging value objectively - life is too complex!>

<An individual's value to me or to Greystone can be evaluated, however. Perhaps they have certain skills or inborn gifts of use, such as a strong aptitude for Alchemy. Perhaps they have connections to other, more useful, individuals. Perhaps they are simply willing to enter any agreement!"

Dis Dis

• Love
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
Shadowcat had a feeling that it might not have been the best idea to ask its question. Maybe the answer was too complex, or one that couldn’t really be answered. It was for this reason that the Shadowcat sent apologetic feelings towards Kal and even the shadows lingered around Dis. Eventually, however, it received an answer that was rather strange and complex. In fact, it might have thought that it made no sense at all, but that only confirmed that the organic creatures were weird.

~ So you want to “say” that something is different for everyone and that can’t be described just like that because everyone is different? ~

Dis asked curiously and conveyed that feeling to Kal again. Interpreted it that way, but it wasn’t entirely sure, so it asked instead. Actually saw the logic in this that everyone had it all differently, only in this way was it difficult to construct a common concept. Still found the organics strange, its thought was interrupted by another “word” from Kal. So it was more understandable that then the people who could be used for Greystone were really valuable. It was already a lot easier for Shadowcat as it knew what Greystone was looking for.

~ Any agreement! ~ replied amusedly, the shadows shaking around Dis as they imitated laughter. Also sent these feelings in the direction of Kal. ~ It sounded like we wanted to get them into something bad and that’s why we need their consent. ~

Thought for a moment, then eagerly pointed its ears and wagged its tail, the shadows almost exploding around the Shadowcat for a few moments, and also conveyed the enthusiasm to Kal. Already knew what they were like.

~ We are like fairies in some mythology! ~

gU6KoIz.png

• Love
It seemed the Shadowcat may well be unaware of the more dubious actions of some of their kin, not to mention the other denizens of the Nether.

<Sometimes. I strongly prefer the mutually-beneficial agreement, for various reasons.> Morality, certainly, but a reputation for fair dealings went a long way towards inspiring goodwill in potential partners - and debtors who did not feel cheated were less likely to attempt to renege on a deal.

His amusement evident, Kal briefly concentrated on looming as menacingly as possible. <Yes, or demons! Many have all sorts of misimpressions, some useful others less so. I have stepped into mythological tropes where convenient, at times. Easier than introducing oneself as an individual.>

Less well-suited for long-term relationships, of course - and unlikely to work on the well-informed.

Dis Dis

• Love
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
True, the Shadowcat was not really aware of the dubious deals of those like them, because it also avoided such Shadows as much as possible. Starting from the fact that it wanted to do good to others rather and wanted others to feel good, to be in a good mood; it was perhaps not so surprising. It couldn’t have been so surprising in light of previous negative experiences either. After Kal’s “words,” Dis conveyed relief and joy toward its Shadow peer.

~ I’m glad you think the same way about this and do business the way I do. ~

Though Dis didn't know exactly how Kal was doing business, or more precisely than he had said, what he thought of it all; but their thoughts and views were the same on this issue. Last but not least, if they don’t fool someone but are fair to them, that person can recommend them to others as well. And then the range of people with whom they can do business can expand. Of course, the Shadowcat had heard of those cheating on the other party at such times, but it found this annoying and sad.

Because Kal sent the "looming as menacingly as possible" after / during the feeling of amusement, the Shadowcat couldn't take it seriously. Shuddered at the laughter, the shadows also “dancing” around its silhouette. Also sent amusement back in the direction of its companion.

~ The demon sounds so evil, I think the mythological creature is better. Yes, I've heard of that. While I may not be sure the best solution is to trick them, but I agree with you that this solution can be many times simpler. ~

Paused for a few moments, then there was a slight confusion in its direction as Dis gathered its courage for something.

~ Can I ask your opinion on something? ~ finally asked.

gU6KoIz.png

• Love
<The truth can often be too much for mortals. Especially ones whose knowledge of the mystical is limited to hearsay, nonsense, and the occasional bit of propaganda.> He himself had encountered a few numbskulls that had been convinced that anything that looked vaguely spirit-like was evil unless it glowed with luminous Light - and preferably wore ghostly robes.

<Proper Force Users tend to be more informed, of course - but that does not necessarily make them reasonable.>

Both the Sith and the Jedi had their froth-at-the-mouth fanatics; the former tended to be more overtly destructive, certainly, but the latter was equally unpleasant to be around, he was sure, especially for spirits such as him. He did not have much faith in the discretion of fanatics.

A question - and one that needed the Shadowcat to gather its courage at that? Interesting. <Certainly, ask away.>

Dis Dis

Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
The Shadowcat continued to listen to Kal with interest as he recounted, typically about his own experiences; which continued to prove very useful to Dis. Nodded at its companion's words, the shadows following its movement again. It had encountered something like this before, and there was one thing about it that he found strange.

~ I found it really surprising that in many cases mortals do not even want to expand their knowledge, but are content with what they know; and they were not open to anything new. ~

But as it turned out, the Force Users were more open than that, only unfortunately they were the ones who were fewer. Even Dis knew that, however, this raised a very interesting question.

~ So, according to this, does the Force have to do with how willing the organics or mortals are to learn and broaden their worldview? ~

The Shadowcat conveyed definite joy and happiness to Kal when he agreed to help. However, since they had to go somewhere else - quite accurately to Dis’s store - to do this, so it had to ask that first.

~ It’s in my store, not far from here, so it would be easier if you came there. I'll show you the way if you say yes. ~

Looked at Kal questioningly and curiously, and if Dis’s Shadow peer said yes, it would head in the direction of Cat’s Paw.

gU6KoIz.png

• Love
Force Users being more open-minded than most? That was perhaps a bit of a misimpression, at least in his humble opinion. There were certainly many among them that fit those criteria, but he was hardly about to apply it to the many, many fanatics among the Sith and Jedi alike; intolerant in different ways, the Sith being more likely to accept methodological differences out of pragmatism, the Jedi more likely to not murder you over it.

<I would not say more open-minded, necessarily - quite a few are indoctrinated - but more aware? Definitely.> A glimmer of amusement in the dots of light that formed his eyes, he telepathically prodded the Shadowcat ever so gently, as if to explain by action what he meant.

The interconnectedness of the Force was an excellent foundation for understanding, albeit one too many failed to make use of in that capacity.

<That is quite acceptable. The Cat's Paw, yes?> Kal was not known for his forgetfulness and clearly distinct subdivisions of Greystone were few and far in between; most of their associates preferred doing business under various shifting aliases tied to the greater whole.

Dis Dis

• Love
Dis the Shadow(cat)
Yj6qo96.png
x6D4WMI.png
Well, Shadowcat wasn't bothered at all by thinking something wrong and Kal corrected it. After all, this is the best and easiest way to learn, right? The response and the feelings associated with it surprised it a little, didn't really expect such tender and kind emotions alongside the explanation. After all, it was more of a cat - that is, it preferred this shape - so it sent back a cat-like feelings. This was most like purring; with the emotions of mortals Dis did not know how it should react to them; for for the most part it had only just learned these emotions.

~ Oh! I understand, the whole thing is much more understandable… I can only hope that you don't think I'm too stupid because of my excessive experience. ~ replied, to which it conveyed a little shyness and perhaps shame to Kal.

The Shadowcat nodded enthusiastically to the next and conveyed enthusiasm towards Kal as the other Shadow agreed to go to the Shadowcat store. Another confirmation nod and emotion that Cat’s Paw is what Dis mentioned. It was possible to get there in a few minutes. The store was now deserted; there was no buyer in it, but countless things, creatures, plants, objects lined up everywhere. Among other things, a huge crystal skull, or a strange-looking, eye-catching amulet. Some drawings of a four-legged penguin on the wall.

~ It has to be here somewhere! ~ it message to him as it began to search the piles. ~ Please feel at home and look around calmly until I find what I am looking for. ~

It searched for a few minutes, finally finding the bottom of one of the piles it was looking for; it was a roll. Dis took it to one of the tables and opened it, rolled it out to be visible.

~ Have you ever seen something like this? ~ asked and conveyed curiosity, excitement to Kal.
lVg8pCa.jpg
gU6KoIz.png

• Love
Relaying his reassurances in response to the Shadowcat's shame-tinged-shyness, Kal made it clear that he did not think any less of it; many a Shadow whose time had been spent more in the Nether than Realspace were ignorant of certain facts or realities, sometimes incredibly basic stuff. Kal was a bit different, having been "born" in the material world, but even he found himself stumped on occasion. Mortals exhibited such strange behaviour, at times.

Having arrived at the Cat's Paw, he appeared quite unconcerned about the wait. Gazing curiously at the various objects on display, he noted how very different they were. Items of power next to junk next to plans for new species, truly this was quite the eclectic collection.

Swivelling about to face the Shadowcat as it found its prize, he silently examined the object for a long moment before shaking his head. <Not quite, no. The depictions resemble traditional demons out of, say, Sith mythology, but the craftsmanship is most unusual. As is its presence.>

<Where did you find this oddity?> Kal asked, luminous eyes practically radiating interest.

Dis Dis

• Love

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom