Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning Tundra To Desert

Approaching the Deneba Enclave
Deneba
It was a most oppressive heat which struck the fair-skinned Umbaran on her journey toward redemption. A far cry from the snowy tundra of her home, the drifting dunes of Deneba threatened to engulf her with each step, feet sinking deeper until it took all of her will to continue pressing onward.

What should have been a journey of only a few miles had lasted her all day, from the moment the sun sunk on the horizon, til the fierce scorch of midday. She had hoped to arrive with the dawn, cold from the desert night - instead she was sun scorched, beaten by the winds which threw sand in her face; fatigue wasn't even the word for it.

And then it appeared, the mirage in the distance, a structure which jutted from the dunes to act as a beacon of hope. The Force was alive here, despite the apparent lack of life the desert world held, and it called her on. Her attempts to pick up the pace only resulted in an increased battle with the treacherous sand, which swallowed her up to the calf and refused to let go without a fight.

There had likely been an easier way to approach this, had Mysa owned her own vessel... Instead she had been dropped off what felt like many leagues away, and even that felt like more than she deserved.

Each step she took now, as the structure grew larger and the entrance stood over her, felt like she was shedding the burdens she bore. The pure radiance of Ashla washed over her, it soothed the aches and pains she had sustained, and welcomed her with open arms. Shame befell her in that moment, a crimson hue adding to her already burning cheeks, and she dropped to her knees before the doorway in defeat.

"Forgive me," she muttered, to the unseen hand which extended toward her, "I have walked in ignorance for too long..."

And then she toppled.

The galaxy was expansive. Kei had learned that years prior, however it hadn't realised how big until he stopped travelling through it. He had settled into his quarters well, settled into his role as a Jedi Knight well enough. He had earned himself a rest day and he planned to use it well. Kei had forced his chair against the wall and was resting with his feet up on the table. He wanted a McYoda's but he could make do with the fruit he had based in his room.

The door opened slowly, a young temple guard walking in. He glared at Kei for a few moments, nodding. Not many people really come to visit Kei so when they did, the chances were always that the issue was serious. The temple guard straightened up as Kei climbed to his feet, using the force to pull his lightsaber into his hand. He cliped it to his belt as the guard nodded once again before he began to speak.

"Knight Raxis. We've recieved word from the guards at the door that a disgruntled female is on route. You're the only active Knight not currently occupied"

Kei nodded, the guard offering a guide. Kei followed quickly, mind full. Who was the woman? That's what he wanted to know more than anything, who the woman was. If she was a Jedi then she would of come through the hanger. They paced down the corridors, arriving at the door within a few moments. The guard nodded once again, muttering something about the female arriving soon. Kei nodded, waiting.

She arrived, speaking for a few moments. Kei extended his hand just in time as she toppled, falling. Kei caught her arm, pulling her back to her feet. She was warm to the touch, probably having walked through the desert. He shook his head, sending the guard to get a doctor and some water. Kei lowered the female against the wall, crouching next to her. His lightsaber jiggled at his side, making a racket.

"Who are you?"

[member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

Had the hand been a figment of her imagination?

In that moment, with ears ringing and vision blurred, she could not be certain. There was a distinct feeling of being grasped against the arm, the only thing which seemed real, and then a cool sandstone brushed against her back, enough to jolt her back to a more level plane of consciousness. Force, did the wall feel refreshing.

She blinked back the glare of the sun, and cast her gaze over the path she had taken to get here. Dips in the sand marked her footfalls, and there was nothing to be seen from horizon to horizon, just golden dunes. Not that she was surprised, how long had it taken before the structure at her back had begun to show?

A voice cut through her thoughts, and she turned her head just enough to notice a man crouched at her side. The hand? Most likely. Then her almost incoherent words had been directed at a physical entity, and not the intangible Force which flowed through everything? She might have felt embarrassed, only this was hardly the time for such coy mannerisms.

"Mysa..." the girl rasped, by way of response. That was who she was, though perhaps it shouldn't have been all that defined her. This man... Did not look like a Jedi. Had she come to the wrong place? Had she been picked up by a traveler? Her expression scrunched up for half a second, as she considered the situation at hand. Still, though, the serene pulsations of the Force continued to linger around them, and with a sigh her face softened. "My name is Mysa."

[member="Kei Raxis"]

Mysa.

He'd never heard the name before. She was a force user, it was obvious. Kei could sense the waves of the lightside pouring from her, like a waterfall poured down a cliff face. Mysa was an unusual name, it wasn't a Deneban name. It was entirely plausable that the female was from off world somewhere, possibly a core worlder looking to experience life outside of the core. They were, at the end of the day, rather close to Commenor so she may of been a Comenorian.

Kei had left his jacket in his room. He regretted it, it would of made a useful pillow for the female. Instead he wore a regular white tunic and some regular pants, he could easily of been confused as just a regular guy who'd invaded the temple. The lightsaber at his side was the only giveaway that he was actually meant to be at the temple. He brushed some of the long hair from his face, sighing. He'd been meaning to have it cut but the dates he'd set always got interupted. The last time was because someone nearly died on his ship. This time it would be because some stranger turned up at the temple door.

Not that he complained.

A guard returned with a bottle of plain water. Kei took it, offering it to Mysa. He would wait patiently while she drunk, she rehydrated. The doctor was no-where to be seen, he probably had a hundred thousand other things to do. His go to doctor, [member="Teynara Jeralyr"], wasn't on shift and interupting whatever she was doing just seemed mean. He was reasonably sure she'd pulled the nightshift again.

Unlucky.

Once Mysa had finished drinking, Kei began to speak.

"Welcome, Mysa. I can feel the waves of the force rushing through you, I can assume with reasonable accuracy that you are with the light. My name is Kei, Kei Raxis. I am a Jedi Knight with The Jedi Order. I can only assume you are here to speak with us. We'll show you through to the guest rooms and get the doctor on call to give you a once over, whenever he turns up."

The formal way of speaking surprised him.

She dropped her head back against the wall and closed her eyes, exhaling slowly. The heat was less oppressive down here, in the shadow of the structure, and now that she was able to take a little weight off her legs she began to feel better. Not perfect, just better.

When the water was offered to her she could not help but gulp it down, not pausing to take a breath, until the bottle was empty and her throat felt a little less dry. A tiny smile worked its way onto her lips then, and she gave the smallest of nods to him.

"Thank you" was all she said at first, toying with the bottle in her hand as she steadied her breathing. She opened her eyes once again, and looked across to him... He was a Jedi, even if he did not look like one. Okay, so he had a lightsaber... Can't judge a book by its cover.

As he continued to speak it was all she could do to nod her head at the right parts, when he guessed correctly that she was a Practitioner of Light, that she was there to speak with them. After another shaky exhale of breath she found the strength enough to speak a little more properly.

"I am a Knight of the Silver Jedi," she breathed, "Or... I was." Technically she was, but spiritually? There she faltered. "I have lost my way, Master Jedi, part of me is uncertain if I was ever on the right path to begin with."

The mention of being taken to a suite, where she could rest and bathe and be checked over, was more than welcome, and she did her best to haul herself up from the sand with the support of the building at her back.

"I hope you can forgive me for stopping by unannounced... Your desert took a lot from me."

[member="Kei Raxis"]

Kei shook his head. The desert took a-lot out of many people, it was warm and unrelenting. Traversing it took a-lot of effort from everyone who tried it. Kei was almost glad he had never had to travel down it. He was almost glad that he had never once actually spent a day in the desert. He knew that he ought to, he could learn quite a-lot about the force by having to rely on it to protect him from the cruel environment, the heat and lack of water.

"Of course you are forgiven, Miss Mysa. Like I said, we'll show you through to the guest quarters. Once the doctor has seen you, we shall talk more. I am quite interested in why you are an ex member of the Silver Jedi"

He stood, rolling his left shoulder gingerly. He offered a hand to Mysa, assisting her to her feet. He hoped that she would find peace on Deneba, she was obviously troubled. Kei wanted to converse with her more once the Doctor had seen to her. Kei wanted to know what she was struggling with, why she believed she was never on the right path within the Silver Jedi Order. Kei had been through the exact same. The Silver Jedi were more military.

They had forgotten the way of the Jedi.

An ex-member of the Silver Jedi.

She hadn't thought of it that way, but now it was out there in the open she knew deep down it was true. How could she look upon those who belonged to the Silvers in the same way? She had been blind, for so many years, blind to their ways. The violence, the broken tenets... She had broken so many, unknowingly, and that realization pained her.

What good was being in service to the Light, in following so ancient and structured an Order, if you broke its more basic principles?

I have focused too much on attachments. On family, on love, on belongings, titles, and places... All of my time has gone into the Valkyri, but there is an entire Galaxy out there of people who need help...

Part of her knew she was still not over the incident with the Alchemical Fiend. All of the things she had seen and done, had her attachments weakened her against a better course of action? Had they blinded her, and kept her from seeing straight? She did not like the person she had become since the wars she had been subjected to, and since incidents such as Joon.

Joon... Another attachment, formed so quickly, without thought. How foolish I was, how foolish I am. No more.

She took the hand when it was offered, with a small nod of gratitude, and paused once on her feet to catch her breath. In her hand she still held the bottle, now empty.

"Talk? Yes... I should like to talk, Master Jedi."

[member="Kei Raxis"]

Kei didn't really abandon Mysa. He left her to the care of a young, energetic padawan who just happened to be strolling around. He was a type to ask questions about everything, the type of child that you just wanted to punch so he shut up. The padawan would guide Mysa through the bowels of hell. Hell was a strong word, it was just the Deneba temple but it was extremely busy, therefore hell was appropriate.

Kei didn't like busy. He didn't really like people to be honest.

The padawan would hopefully guide Mysa to a guest quarters. Kei had specifically ordered the young padawan to take their guest to an empty room, one with clean sheets and an en-suite so she could shower and change into something actually usable. The doctor would give her some time before visiting the quarters of their new guest. He wouldn't really pay much attention, just a simple once over to make sure that Mysa was alive and would remain that way for the forseeable future.

Alive was good.

Kei waited until the doctor gave him the all clear over his personal coms system. Kei hadn't been paying much attention, he'd gone to get a snack. It wasn't that talking to people made him hungry, it was just that he hadn't had breakfast and it was now going on noon. That tended to make a person hungry, humanoid or other. The other was important, political correctness was important when the galaxy was taken over by every species imaginable.

A shapeshifting wolf for example. There was genuinely a force using shape shifting wolf. Ah well, the wolf was cute when it was in wolf form.

Kei stood outside of the door to their guest's quarters for a few moments. Mysa, that was her name. He had to remember that, he wasn't great with names at the best of times. It had taken him an age to memorise the names of his crew members. While that wasn't a problem, the first few weeks had been extremely awkward as Kei just tended to shout random names and hope the person he was talking to was actually called that.

He knocked, and waited.

The pair parted ways soon after, as Mysa was led through the Enclave toward the room which had been provided. Nice and simple interior, something she was grateful for, and a separate refresher which she could not wait to make use of. There was a bed to one side, single of course, a nightstand and a dresser, and a desk. Less personal than the other rooms she had known, but that was what she needed right now.

When the Padawan left her she said her thanks and stepped over to the dresser, inside there was a couple of different outfits, again nice and simple, and she picked out a set which looked a little more comfortable than the rest, fitted but not skin-tight.

Then she stepped into the refresher, and stripped herself of both clothes and grime, the sweat of the desert, the sand which had clung to her, was washed away, and even then she remained under the water for a little longer than was necessary. It soothed her burns, and gave her a moment of tranquility, where only the sound of rushing water remained as distraction.

Eventually though she shut off the water, and stepped out to dry herself off, before placing on those clean clothes. She was correct, they were soft on her sun-scorched skin.

The doctor appeared soon after; she had been dreading the visit in truth, but he was respectful and swift, just giving her a once over. Informed her to keep hydrated, gave her a little salve for the worst of the burns, and then he was gone just as quickly as he had appeared, leaving her with her thoughts.

She removed the lightsaber from her old clothes, clothes which no doubt would need to be thrown out from the state of them, as well as the commlink. Those were the only two items she had brought with her, no Valkyri sword or bow, not even the necklace from her mother. Felix, too, had been left on Midvinter, with Gideon. He needed the cold weather, and she... She needed to do this.

They would be upset when they realized. She hadn't exactly planned ahead, hadn't left a note, her steps had simply brought her here.

In the time which followed she knelt to the ground and bowed her head, beginning one of the few methods of meditation she knew, that of Emptiness, to clear her mind and body of its pains. How long she remained like that she did not know, time was inconsequential, but she did not halt until there was a knock at the door.

Giving herself a moment to adjust, she rose and approached the door. It opened seconds later, revealing the Jedi who had granted her entrance.

"Master Jedi," she began, inclining her head toward him respectfully, "It is good to see you again."

While she looked clean, there was obvious windburn and sunburns tarnishing her typically pale skin; much of the fatigue was gone, though, and she looked to him with a clarity to her gaze. Stepping aside, she made a gesture with her hand for him to enter should he wish to. Who knew, maybe he had to take her elsewhere to talk. She didn't pretend to know the methods and procedures.

[member="Kei Raxis"]

He was grateful to be granted access to the quarters. He stepped in slowly, casting his gaze around the room. It was much plainer than his quarters, though he had been given chance to ruin his own quarters with mess. He wasn't an organised as most of the other Jedi he knew, he was more messy. It made finding things difficult, but it gave him a place in the temple that actually felt familier to him. The mess felt familer to him.

He cast his gase to Mysa. She had cleaned up well, a few obvious burns but no real injuries. Kei could tell that it was unlikely there was any permanant damage. Deneba wasn't a good experience to people who were not used to the harsh desert conditions. The miles and miles without water and the scorching sun tended to mess with people. It wasn't a great planet, but it was perfect for The Jedi Temple of The Jedi Order.

Too many Jedi Temple's in the galaxy.

"Master Jedi, how formal. I'd prefer to be known as Kei, or Kei Raxis if we're being seriously formal"

It was weird. He had only just started to embrace his legacy as a member of the Raxis family. It was extremely large family, most of the members dead but the point still stood. It was the family gene that granted him his pilot skill, and his force abilities. In one of his later conversations with his cousin, [member="Jack Raxis"], Kei had learned that the force tended to run more on the female side, although he got lucky.

The force ran on his father's side.

"First off, welcome. The guest quarters aren't as nice as the actual quarters, but they do their job. Anyway, that's not why i'm here. When we spoke earlier, you spoke about how you were an ex member of The Silver Jedi. They've never been my biggest friends, but they were willing to take me in many years ago when I needed it. Call it an interest, but I've never heard of members abandoning The Silver Jedi for other Jedi groups. What drove you to that Mysa?"

The room was spotless, even with the fact that she had bathed and changed, after she had been checked over by the doctor, and had applied salves to her burns, it looked just as clean as it had before she entered. Her old clothes had been carefully bundled away within the laundry basket, her lightsaber hilt lay upon the center of the bed, beside it the commlink, but otherwise... Nothing looked to have been touched.

Almost immediately her formal greeting was rebutted; she had met many Jedi in her time that felt a similar way, it was something she could respect so she simply inclined her head toward him in understanding.

"Of course; Kei it is, then." She did not wish to cause discomfort, this was not her home after all, and she was lucky to have been granted access to it at all, whether her exhausted state or her position as a Jedi had ultimately been the cause for it she did not know. Likely a mixture of both.

Aside from the bed, there was a chair by the desk and it was to this that she next gestured - encouraging him to sit if he wished it - while he spoke. She listened intently, keeping her eyes upon him in a respectful manner. "The room is more than I expected," she assured him, with the smallest of smiles, as she moved into the center of the room and watched as the door closed behind him.

Next came mention of the Silvers, and she let out the smallest of sighs. How did she explain it? How could she explain it?

"I haven't really known any life away from the Silver Jedi, in truth," she began, forcing all memories of the science facility on Aurum to the back of her mind, that did not count, that was not a life. "I was adopted by the former Grandmaster and Master of the Order, they raised me alongside their children, in the Light, and when I was old enough to understand they trained me toward becoming a Jedi. I have seen many things since then, Ma-- Kei."

She frowned, her brows knitting together to deepen the expression. The dead had risen along every path she walked, from the Vinterbound of Midvinter to the Younglings who were puppeteered by the Alchemical Fiend, and just the thought of it forced a shudder along her spine. She remained in one piece though, didn't she?

"The more I saw, the more I read, and learned, the more I realized that something wasn't right. How could I call myself a Jedi if my focus, and the focus of those around me, remained on familial ties? If I was more bothered about the people of my homeworld, who were more than capable of protecting themselves, than the countless others out there in the Galaxy?"

For a moment she paused, looking away from him to a spot on the wall.

"I have held titles... Titles. 'Jedi serve others, rather than ruling over them...' That is at the core of our philosophy, and yet... Everything we did opposed that. Princess. That's a title of governance." She might have laughed, but all it did was make her heart sink further. "I lost my way, before I could so much as comprehend the path I was placed upon. I have not been doing the work of Ashla, no... I have been serving Gods from a foreign land, I killed for these Gods." Could you kill the dead? That gave her momentary pause. She supposed it did not matter, the semantics, the specifics, it had affected her and bothered her at her core.

"I know that I have made the wrong call on numerous occasions, because I was more concerned with the ties I had formed, the attachments, than my duty. It has made me weak-willed, doubtful, afraid. I cannot live like this any longer, Master Jedi, I refuse to."

At some point throughout she had sunk once again to her knees, though this time it was not in meditation but penance. Her head remained aloft, staring at the self-same spot on the wall, her body keeping to its strengthened stance despite the fact she was now knelt. This wasn't some spur of the moment thought, it didn't come from the aforementioned fear or weakness, it was a certainty she felt in her core.

Things had to change.

[member="Kei Raxis"]

Kei watched as Mysa offered him the chair. He shook his head, afterall he was but a guest in her quarters. She was the one who deserved the chair, it was her room and therefore her chair. It was her story anyway and it was only right that she sat to tell it. He leaned carefully against the wall, crossing his arms. He studied Mysa once again, carefully as she began to speak, to tell her story. He wondered why she had left.

Kei listened to her story with interest. He was silent as she spoke, nodding every so often. He understood her reasons, she had a very obvious reasons to leave. Kei remained silent for a few moments after she finished. He processed what she had said. He would of left the order as well. They both wanted to serve the Jedi code, something that The Silver Jedi wasn't doing. They comitted a genocide, a murderous genocide.

Jedi goals.

"I understand. Believe me, I understand. The Silver Jedi have changed the Jedi code too far. They can't be called Jedi, they've changed too much. They focus too much on attachment more than helping those who need it."

He glared at Mysa, raising an eyebrow.

"How can we help you?"

The seat had obviously become inconsequential, forgotten as quickly as it had been offered.

There on her knees, she could not help but bow her head; silence stretched between the both of them, and though she did her best to quell her concerns she worried that she had said too much, that he did not approve. Was she here for their approval? No. Most definitely not. She was here because it was the right thing to do moving forward, the correct path to take.

And then he spoke, and the knot in her chest began to unwind. The glare she could feel upon her, even with her head bowed as it was, proved to be more than a little unsettling, as though she was being scrutinized beneath a magnifying glass, but she dismissed the uncertainty which rose within her and contemplated an answer to his question.

How could they help her?

She hadn't even considered it. She had come all this way, across countless systems, to seek them out, and yet she had no clear direction from this point. How foolish of her. There was one thing she knew, however.

"I would like a chance to start over," she breathed, not daring to look up, "Not necessarily to forget all I have learned and experienced, but to rebuild the cracked foundations. I hold a rank I am wholly undeserving of, unprepared for, I would like to be exonerated from my position as a Knight, and return to that of an Initiate."

Initiate. Mysa had never been an Initiate before, in any capacity, she did not really know what it entailed, but a Padawan required a Master, and such a relationship was built upon trust. Trust which had to be built and earned.

"I ask for a chance to join your Order, Master Jedi, to atone for my misdeeds," He may have preferred Kei, but she felt that the situation warranted formality, "I will stand before any Council deemed necessary and explain my situation, if that it what it takes. I will face any trials put forth, scrutiny for my past and my intentions going forward, whatever is required. I wish to serve."

[member="Kei Raxis"]

Starting over.

Starting over for anyone else was easy. Tie up any loose ends and jump to another planet. For a Jedi, starting over was so much harder. Jedi earned the ranks that they achieved in life. They would struggle to ever seperate themselves from that rank, especially with the Jedi group that gave them the rank originally. Those people would always believe you deserved the rank, but none of them ever asked what you believed, what you wanted.

When the heck did Kei become a wise guy?

"I can see now that you mean this Order no harm. Your situation is unique, but I can understand it. If you wish to restart your life as a Padawan, then that can be arranged. While I may not be able to make The Silver Jedi Order see you as a padawan again, I can make sure you are seen as a padawan within this temple. Take this as me stripping you of your rank as a Jedi Knight. You will begin from the bottom, and if you so wish we can make this journey together"

Kei raised an eyebrow, nodding to Mysa.

"I have very few people I am truly friends with in this order. I have had no reason to take a padawan, until now. Your situation is unique Mysa, and I feel like I could learn from you and you could learn from me"

"It is your choice"

And so it was done.

With just thirteen words, one statement, the Jedi Knight became the Jedi Initiate; it was not as though everything would change then and there, in that moment, there was no shift in her demeanor, no change to her presence in the Force, it was an empty title, after all, they all were in truth. Jedi Padawan, Jedi Master, all it noted was experience, and the views of those around an individual... Resetting to the start did not erase the experiences she'd had, and those who had prematurely elevated her to her former position would likely go on seeing her as such.

It did not matter what others thought.

She was being given a second chance, to truly learn the ways of the Jedi, to adhere to the Light without ulterior motives, and for that she would be eternally grateful. What good could she have done, what knowledge could she have imparted on a student, if she herself was inexperienced? If her information was fractured, her very foundations tremulous?

No. This was the correct call.

And yet, there was something in the statements that followed that still held surprise. An offer she had not been expecting, that she had not yet earned. Her head lifted ever so slightly, just enough that an impression of the Jedi before her could be seen in her field of vision, a slight hint of confusion gracing her expression.

"But, I have done nothing to warrant your teachings, Master Jedi," the words she led with were spoken softly, as though a delicate breeze could have been enough to erase them entirely. Coci had trained her no doubt out of familial obligation, but the man before her was not forced down that self same path, there were no pre-existing bonds, and yet he offered all the same. Why?

She allowed a moment of silence to stretch between them, before bowing her head once again.

"You do me a great honor, Master Jedi, might I ask for a little time to meditate on a decision? I mean no disrespect, of course, I... I did not expect to find a place here, in truth, I did not know what I would find when I sought out your Order, and to make a decision right now would be reckless of me. My mind is not clear of prior ruminations."

[member="Kei Raxis"]

"But, I have done nothing to warrant your teachings, Master Jedi"

Kei smiled towards Mysa for a few moments. She had done something to warrent his "teachings", she had shown him hope. She had shown him that anything was possible. She needed someone to guide her on how to be a "true Jedi", and while Kei wasn't the best person for that, he was going through the process himself. That had to make him more qualified than most of the other people. She needed to find her place, as did Kei.

They could help each other.

"Certainly. Take the time necessary. You have shown me that anything is possible Mysa, you have shown me that it is more than possible to reset and to restart almost"

He smiled to her. He wasn't the best person to train a padawan, but he felt like he owed Mysa in some way. He stepped towards the door slowly, grinning. He needed to go back to his quarters and meditate himself, he found that meditation was helping him in his path to becoming a decent Jedi.

"I shall leave you to meditate and think about the offer I presented to you. I shall be in my quarters for the rest of the day. If you ask someone to show you to the Jedi quarters, you'll find mine easily enough. It will probably have the door open and be a mess"

And with that he grinned, took a bow and left Mysa to think about his offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom