Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech TTH/ACS-01 "Actaeon" - Pattern Active Camouflage Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
dlJNZ6y.png

zHGhZe0.gif

LbbGZLc.png

jD4DLP0.png

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Externally Mounted Module.
  • Variable Cloaking Coverage (Small to Large-sized Characters.)
  • Integrated Rechargeable Power Cell.
  • Integrated Concealment Projectors.
  • Hexagonal "Materialization" when Deactivated or Activated.
Strengths:
  • Capable of bending light and electromagnetic waves, as well as dampening sound; granting imperfect invisibility to the bearer and their weapons.
  • Imperfect thermoguard bodyglove capabilities; able to alter emitted temperature(s) at will to fool conventional thermal/infrared/ultraviolet sensors, disguising them as sensor anomalies. More advanced systems and highly-trained/alert guards would likely see through this technological facade.
Weaknesses:
  • Visible phantasmal silhouette; easier to detect when deployed in visual range and the wearer is in motion.
  • External precipitation clings to the generated cloak (Rain, Snow, Ash, Etc.)
  • Extremely limited EMP and ion resistance (Background electromagnetic defense only.)
  • Full reboot requirement after the generated cloak’s been disabled or collapses (Roughly, One minute.)
  • Cannot dampen externally created sound (Broken twigs, Etc.)
  • Cannot mask footprints on soft ground.
  • It cannot be used in conjunction with personal energy shields.
  • Ripple Effect - Visibly distorts when weapons are discharged within the shroud, and due to the muzzle flash - the system needs to be reset, lest the shroud showcases the wearer's newly-illuminated surroundings.
DESCRIPTION
Although the Golden Company have taken to the battlefield, clad in the armour the same hue of their namesake, a majority of the Sun Guards within that Outfit’s ranks couldn’t forget their origins as Special Forces operatives. While they had little issue adapting to their new way of waging war, there were those among their number that wished for something a little more familiar. Thus, the historical foundations of the Actaeon were laid out before the combined intellectual might of the Corscanti, Thyrsian, and newly inducted Sephi Enclaves. The latter was a relatively new addition, but through a momentary lapse in judgement and benevolent charity - the Core-born architects wove the Knife-eared Engineers into their Special Projects Division. With the fresh blood and expertise added to their ranks, the triumvirate began collaborating on bringing their new device out of the conceptual stages.

At the very basic level, the Actaeon was intended to be a new generation of personal concealment devices; meant to shroud the warrior from the visual spectrum and many forms of electronic scanning; allowing the wearer to infiltrate deep behind enemy lines. However, during their original drafting period, the technical architects found themselves using the rare stygium crystals as the basis for their design; only to find themselves incapable of meeting the quantity-based demands of all parties involved. Therefore, their focus shifted towards easily accessible and alternative methods to achieve their end goal. The first method they attempted, that held a measure of promise, utilized photo-reactive panels that concealed a wearer’s infrared signature, as well as being capable of blending into their surroundings like a chameleon.

However, while they could claim that they achieved their goals, it was judged to be an ineffective waste of time due to the amount of modifications needed to be made in order to make the system viable for operational use. Therefore, the Actaeon was brought back to the drawing board with efficiency and portability in mind.

The second variation that was created achieved that goal through a combination of various arcane technologies and radical ideas. Through the use of a finely-tuned holographic energy field that was capable of warping various waves around the user; granting them an imperfect form of invisibility to the naked, and electronically-enhanced eye. This projected Holoshell tightly enveloped the user, and devoured the internal electromagnetic waves, as well as dampening the emitted sound waves to deny conventional, military-grade sensors the ability to detect the activated device with any accuracy. In addition to the aforementioned points, the Actaeon was capable of bending Light itself around the wearer, much like the multispectrum Holographic disguise, leaving nothing but an ethereal phantasm in their place - as their surroundings would be reflected back at any would-be method of detection.

Whilst remaining perfectly still, it was noted that the subjects equipped with the Concealment Generator were harder to detect, rather than when they were in motion. It was because the generator’s were consistently adapting to their ever-shifting background environment(s), and were sometimes unable to keep up with the rapid pace set by many of the cybernetically, and genetically augmented Sun Guard. Nevertheless, such a factor was given little heed in the grander scheme of things, as with the chaos of the battlefield erupting all around them, it was unlikely that an enemy would spot them until it was too late.

When speaking of the drawbacks of the device, there was little that could be done when it came to external interference like a heavy downpour, falling snow, or ash. Each of the aforementioned variations of precipitation would coat, or cling to the projected light-warping Holoshell and alert a cognizant hostile to the presence of a cloaked phantasm. In addition to that environmental deployment hazard, the Actaeon held little resistance to Magpulse or Ionic weaponry; which would force the systems to overload and entirely collapse the shroud of adaptive camouflage. As well, the generated shroud wasn’t capable of dampening the sounds emitted from outside its nigh-skintight bubble, unlike the variable noise generated within the field. This unfortunate drawback meant that if an Operator broke a twig underfoot - those within aural range would be notified to their masked presence and act accordingly.

Despite the various imperfections, the Actaeon was the perfect addition to the Sun Guard’s ever-growing arsenal. While many would consider shrouding oneself from the gaze of your enemies as a cowardly act that was bereft of honour, it would be stated that the martial tenets of honour meant nothing to a corpse. With the Actaeon in hand? It was likely there would be many discarded trophies littering the various battlefields across the stars - each bearing the masterful handiwork of the Scions of Thyrsus.

Last edited:
LT-137 LT-137

I really like the idea of this submission, it is a comprehensive camouflage system. That is the essence of this second chance, to make sure that the submission remains a camouflage system. To that end, there are just a few points which I need to run through with you before we go forward.

Image Credit

The Youtube link you provide as a credit no longer works, however, youtube is not considered a viable image source for the purposes of a submission on Chaos. Please link to the IMDB or Wiki page for the movie instead.

Permissions

Please remember to include a permissions field per the 5.1 templates.

Manufacturer

Both of the links for Republic Engineering Corporation and the Golden Company are broken due to being holdovers from the old website. Please update them to current links.

Affiliation

As with the above, the links in this section are broken due to being holdovers, please update them to current links.

Strengths

Capable of bending light, sound, and electromagnetic waves; granting imperfect invisibility to the bearer and their weapons..

In your first strength, you mention that the generator is capable of bending sound, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. In your weaknesses, you refer to dampening sound, which is also referred to in the Optical Camouflage system wookie article. A sound dampener is that, it only dampens sound instead of expressing it entirely. Is that what you meant?

Thermoguard bodyglove capabilities; able to alter emitted temperature(s) at will to fool thermal/infrared/ultraviolet Sensors.

You forgot to link the Thermoguard bodyglove wookie page, please include that in the submission. One thing I want to bring to your attention is that total invisibility from infrared and thermal sensors as per the canon comes too close to a stealth system for me. I'd suggest you scale this back to a similar level as the holoshell. If there is still a trace, but a much-reduced one most sensor and security systems would pass them off as ghosts, but a sufficiently on the ball guard might spot it.

Weaknesses

External precipitation clings to the generated cloak (Rain, Snow, Ash, Etc.)

I just wanted to say I love the inclusion of this weakness. It's not one most people use but makes for a great tool for RP.

Visibly distorts when weapons are discharged within the shroud.

What form does this distortion take? Is it just a ripple effect in the holoshell? Considering the amount of energy passing through it I'd suggest firing while the system is active takes down the system entirely until it can reset. This way you would have the element of a surprise attack, but it would have to be used tactically.

John Locke John Locke - Thanks for letting me take a second crack at this. So, I've updated the links, added in a permission field to bring the submission in line with 5.1 standards. I've also updated the name of the submission to be more in line with my faction's narrative, and had to hard-link Semhar's profile, as it was unlinked in the merge.

As to the capabilities of bending sound, I've changed it to dampening - as that falls in line with what's already canon. In hindsight anything that could've done better in regards of devouring sound should be utilized in more advanced, and semi-unique restricted submissions. When it comes to the thermoguard, I've added in the link to the primary sources and have made mention of the "imperfections" on the relevant strength section - which details it as attempts to fool conventional sensors, but advanced forms of detection and highly-trained/alert guards would likely spot the phantasm and react accordingly.

With the distortion, I've added in some wording that better details that weakness - ideally forcing folks to think tactically when using the generator. Ala the Knife or Blade doesn't light up their surroundings in comparison to a blaster or slugthrower.

If there's anything else, please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom