Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech TTAA-C/Tenloss Tank Armor Applique-Ceramic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
4788219584_f5a94edfe6_z.jpg

Image Source
Intent: To create an anti-magnetic ceramic applique for tanks that also functions to protect against ion and EMP weaponry.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Tenloss Corporation
Model: TTAA-C
Affiliation: Tenloss Corporation
Modularity: None, aside from scaling/sizing for tank models and applying the material to existing tanks.
Production: Minor-Production
Material: Armorplast, various metals, electrical wiring.
Description:

After seeing how various tanks in current use with the galactic factions fare against battlefield threats, the realization that Ion and EMP weaponry poses a far greater threat to the more modern tanks on the field than conventional weaponry was discovered. After a period of time experimenting with various materials, the use of a Faraday Cage was selected over all other alternatives.

The Farraday Cage easily stops ion and EMP damage to anything within the cage, within the capabilities of said cage. By installing the cage as an overlay on the armor of tanks, electrical damage was greatly reduced or even entirely negated. However, the cage itself was vulnerable to damage, both from enemy fire and from typical wear and tear on the vehicle. Therefore, it was determined that another layer of material was needed to protect the cage itself, as incorporating the cage into existing tanks would require a redesign and modifications to the armor and chassis of said vehicles.

Armorplast was the answer. A ceramic that was equivalent in strength to durasteel, the material was applied as an overlay on the cage itself, sandwiching the cage between the vehicle and the ceramic applique. The ceramic acts as extra armor on the tank, while having a negligible effect on the tank's gross weight, as well as protecting the faraday cage itself. On top of this, the armorplast is worked into patterns before drying. These patterns as well as the roughness of the applique and the cumulative anti-magnetics from both the ceramic and the faraday cage, create a combined type of applique that reduces or negates electronic damage and stops anti-tank magnetic shaped charges from damaging the vehicle itself.

The benefits aside, the applique has some downsides. The cage and ceramic combination protect the tank, but sufficient damage can compromise the cage itself, leading to reduced effectiveness. Also, loss of power supply to the cage will shut down the cage itself, removing the protection the cage grants the tank. Lastly, the cage covers the majority of the tank, but due to most tanks being of turreted design, two separate cages are needed, leaving a gap between the turret and hull where there is, usually, a natural shell trap. Outside of this, the applique grants negligible defensive properties to larger weapons, though smaller weapons may find more difficulty. The ceramic applies minimal weight to the vehicle, though the application process usually occurs during manufacture and requires 1-3 days of installation, application, and drying before the tank is completed, slowing down the manufacturing process.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Popo"]

Can I get a clarification on how much the armorplast helps defend the Faraday Cage? Does the Faraday Cage stop Sith Lightning? Lastly, I'm a bit hesitant to give something that nullifies, or even dramatically lowers, the Ion/EMP damage a tank can take mass-production, especially without a dev thread. Unless I am mistaken this is an overlay to an existing tank, which mean the tank only gets benefits from having this applied, and there is not cost except the cost to slap it on correct? I can't in good faith approve that, so I'll need production dropped to Minor.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Valik"]
The armorplast is basically ceramic durasteel so it's just standard protection there. As for stopping Sith lightning, it could, yes, but if it exceeds the capabilities of the standard Faraday Cage, then the lightning would get through. As for the Mass Production, I only put that there to cover most models of tanks. Not every tank would have it, but I figured the Mass Production label would cover the ability to apply it to tank models in production and future tanks planned for production, not to just slap it on each tank lol

As for the overlay, yes, this is an overlay that goes on top of the tank. I'm basing the design off of WWII German Zimmerit, a type of paste that, when dried, prevented anti-tank magnetic mines from clinging to the tank's armor. The cost of production is the standard cost of armorplast and the other materials, plus installation and the like. It also adds manufacturing time as the whole thing needs to be applied entirely and dried out before it can roll off the lot. I tossed around the idea of a field kit, but if I subbed it, it'd be a lower quality application than the factory applied versions.

I can drop it to minor if you'd like, I just figured having a mass production label would explain how it's on multiple tank designs and the like at the cost of longer manufacturing time which, fluff-wise, for Limited production tanks like the Skocha, that would make them harder to get, in a way. Long and short, I can drop it down a production level, I just hoped that between the manufacturing time trade-off and the need to have it applied to many tank designs (but not all) would need a mass production label lol

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Popo"]

I'd prefer it being dropped down to minor. I don't mind the technology being on any particular type of tank, I just don't want it on -every- tank, which is what Mass-Production would end up being used for regardless of intent. Once you get there you're golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom