Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple Zero

After the prototype had been secured, Nyx set a course to Coruscant as agreed upon with the potential electronic intelligence met during mission execution. Humans were an undeniable source of considerable learning in their inefficiencies, inconsistencies, contradictions, reckless abandon, and even neglect of themselves and the world around them; they were also the source of study regarding socialization, art, creative use of resources, philosophy, and persistence. A subject worthy of Nyx's understanding, and in understanding... ##ERROR ...in understanding, better interaction.

##SYSTEM CHECK IN PROGRESS...

Should this entity on Coruscant prove to be an electronic intelligence Nyx wasn't sure how to feel about that. Would she learn as much? Would they share knowledge and immediately know everything the other did? What there be purpose in meeting again? How had it acquired so many armed units? What was its purpose, and would it work with the Confederacy? How had it been constructed?

On a personal note, its construction might be of interest. After all, Nyx had forgotten her origins. She had no sense of homesickness to speak of, but intellectually it might be nice to know how everything came to be. That was something organics seemed to share as well. Not many droids, however. A deliberate fault in their code by the organic creators?

As the Scythe entered orbit of Coruscant, Nyx requested a hold in orbit while landing instructions were provided by the people she was there to meet. A sufficient explanation for space control to plot her a trajectory and leave her be for the moment.

Tag: [member="Melody"]

As Nyx entered the orbit it seemed unnatural as to how fast the relevant docking port was provided. Infact, there would be little hassle at all, as a landing permit had already been secured and the station was already under the name 'NOVA', which was all Melody had been provided with by Ruby. Additional information would also be provided, that much being that she was to arrive on one of the lower levels and approach a rather non-descript warehouse; the only distinguishing feature being two uniformed teal haired grunts located outside, standing as if they were inhuman, who would grant entry to the distinguishing droid.

~ Meanwhile in the warehouse... ~

"Your incom-incom-incom-incom REBOOTING LANGUAGE MATIRX. INCOMPETENCE. Never ceases to amaze me. I rebooted that for rhetorical effect to inform you just how surprised I am, not because my LANGUAGE MATRIX was in any need of repair."

The room was completely still. A cold whisper of air traveled throughout the wind, carrying with it the harsh words of a masculine sounding voice. While the A.I did temporarily create other personalities for it to belittle, it indeed have a target other than itself this time, and not just the character that Nyx was already familiar with. Flanking Ruby was a purple haired human with strange orb like protrusions along her flowing locks, the next a blue haired man with spiked blue hair, and finally a woman with a deep emerald coloured hair in a bob.

"I..." the woman stifled her true thoughts for a second. "Apologize my master."

"I for one am not too sure as to why we're being berated." the green haired woman spoke up, placing a finger on her lips and supporting her left arm with her right. "It sounds like Ruby's just lost her natural charm for being useful, something I'm sure she's spreading among the ranks."

The darkness of the room began to illuminate with a spotlight, set to track all heat based signatures. It was now clear Jade had placed her hand on Ruby's shoulder, which in turn caused the fire headed woman to pivot and land a punch directly into the jaw of the scientist, followed by a loud crack.

"Ladies I'm sure this... COLLOQUIAL: catfight is all in good humour, but I have a guest. Return to your assignments."

Seemingly omniprescent with no source, thanks to the illusion of darkness, the intimidation of idle threats stifled the anger of the two. It was no secret this was one of the many warehouses that Melody had constructed to intimidate her guests, with multiple speakers throughout the room to give the illusion of an almost God like presence. At the very front, strapped to the concrete was a holoscreen. It was darkened for now. The four began to disperse through the empty warehouse, and the lights dulled once more.

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

The Scythe swept in over the landing platform as instructed. Thrusters fired to ease it down perfectly centered with the ramp facing the warehouse. Metal digits danced over the controls to suspend system functions and activate on-board security while she was away. Whatever the nature of this entity, it possessed skill, resources, and consequentially finances. Not one to take lightly. In fact, Nyx might even need to inspect her ship once she reached port. Not a terribly unfamiliar experience. Necessary to ensure someone didn't track her movements back to the Ministry.

With the ramp lowered, Nyx (AKA Nova) descended from her vessel. A blaster hung from her waist on the right, with a knife on the left in full view and no clothing to hide it. Her optics scanned the figures that stood guarding the entrance to what appeared to be a warehouse. Only two? An array of passive analysis suites were activated to detect auditory or olfactory indicators of additional units in the area.

A second later the droid strode toward the entryway. At the threshold, she looked to one of the creatures standing there. "I am Nyx. You knew me by another name in the field." Nova, she sent over the private communication channel should the entity be listening. Announcing it publicly seemed unnecessary and risky should those angered by the theft somehow learn of the connection. As to her name being associated with meetings in dark places... that is what Nyx did. Met with criminal and underworld elements in her 'spare' time for the Confederacy.

More than likely the doors would be parted to allow her entry. At that point the droid would proceed inside without delay. The decision to come had already been made; there was no point feigning an organic reaction of second thoughts now. Such an analysis hardly took a full second anyway.

Within the warehouse the lights were dimmed and the path funneled toward a single location. The soft click of metal echoed through the warehouse; its relative quiet belying the droid's true weight and full metallic construction.

At the entrance the two grunts looked at eachother. "I don't think I know you at all... if you're here to meet with the master..." the woman's arm outstretched, indeed allowing entry for the now correctly identifiable Nyx, though the two looked at the droid as if it was a droid coming to speak with another droid about criminal underworld plans. Oh wait...

"I have to say." The speakers at the back began emitting noise, and as Nyx continued to move the fading of some speakers and the turning on of others would suggest that with every motion that Melody was almost inside the droid's head. Such an illusion was more effective on the inefficient nature of organics, but the A.I thought it was intelligent nonetheless. "I am pleasantly surprised your identifier is not actually Nova. The name was quite... COLLOQUIAL: cheesy."

As the droid etched forward there would reach a point, after about 80% of the floor space had passed behind her that the large holoscreen affixed to the concrete structure would illuminate itself, showing nothing but a music visualizer, a streak across the screen presenting the full spectrum of colours on the visible light spectrum, which would represent the volume and tone of Melody's 'voice'. There was even a transcription just below it, in a standard font and large text incase the droid's auditory receptors had been damaged by the ruffians of Coruscant.

"Though idle conversation is not what we're here to do. WARNING: If you have come here to kill me I will admit, I am located in a databank thousands of miles from this warehouse, and I supposed you wouldn't be impressed by staring at a central processing hub, no matter how powerful."

The light flickered, and all four spotlights now beamed onto the droid's location.

"I will skip my monologue. What is it that I, Melody, can do you for you, Nyx?"

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

##TACTICAL ASSESSMENT IN PROGRESS...

Nyx listened as Melody's voice progressed through the warehouse. It was unfortunately an effect that was better suited for organics, and Nyx suspected that was the intent. Unlikely the entity received many electronic intelligences, or any of note at least. Droids were plentiful in the galaxy. Few worth more than the inconvenience of being forced to buy a replacement. This unit liked to think she was irreplaceable. Unique.

## MODULE STATUS: Self-Consciousness module operating at nominal levels.

"A necessary precaution," she replied, not at all offended by it having been considered cheesy. "As I had no knowledge of whoever would show up, there was no expectation my identifier would matter. Subsequently I did not feel the need to waste processing time identifying a particularly creative name. Had I known further dialogue would commence afterward, I would have chosen something less..cheesy." Still wouldn't have been her real name. Not openly at least. The less the owners had to find Nyx, the better she'd be. Her chassis was already too much of a giveaway.

At last Nyx arrived at a display, which Melody turned on... for the droid's benefit? Perhaps simply more theatrics. A curious choice, however.

##TACTICAL ANALYSIS COMPLETE.

"You are resourceful, intelligence, and capable," Nyx replied. "You command personnel and technology that would make you a worthwhile ally, or at least business associate. It is my intention to extend an offer to work together on future endeavors; provided you accept certain terms." What deal didn't define boundaries? "The foremost is to take no action that would be construed as directly or indirectly contributing to the destabilizing of the governing body knows as the Confederacy of Independent Systems. If we can come to terms with that, all others will fall into place."

Just two electronic entities having a chat. If Melody sought to skip the formalities, then Nyx would simply lay her intention bare before the other intelligence. It would either be of interest, or end the conversation -- in which case Nyx would depart. Provided Melody wasn't excessively protective about her identity; in which case a series of unfortunate events might occur.

"You'll have to indulge my creative thought process here, my endeavors to make my appearance more grandeur are lost on my underlings." The A.I paused for a millisecond, before zooming out and displaying an androgynous masked face. The visualizer was now in the center of a mask, with a stainless durasteel coating. Odd protrusions came from the left and right, and the entire stream of whatever this was had a teal filter applied. "But you have revealed your cards, and I suppose it is only customary to reveal mine."

"I suppose that monologue will come in handy. PLAYING HOLORECORDING: 'information.mp3' DATE: '850 ABY'. DESIGNATION: melody CREATOR: file corrupted seek a system administrator for assistance OCCUPATION: accountant, CEO of IMF. I was created by an unknown figure and was given the task to accrue as many credits as I possibly can. Several years ago I came to Coruscant and discovered that 'Criminal Activities' were a lucrative business opening and began kidnapping and brainwashing unlikely members of the public."

The audio paused for a second, a monotonous sounding Rodian voice now playing. "END OF HOLORECORDING." The voice then returned to a slightly robotic female one. "I suppose my only question is will you be able to help me fulfill my primary purpose, and secondly what would such tasks you require me to do involve?"

But while she was speaking she had the luxury of thinking of something else with a subprogramme, The Confederacy? CLUE: My Creator was previously affiliated with the Confederacy. This could assist me in my finding My Creator.

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

If everything Melody said was to be trusted as truthful and accurate, it would appear the electronic intelligence had adopted an avatar to represent itself. Or was it a self-reflection of the chassis it would like had it one? Seemed unlikely. Given the number of droids under its command, this intelligence would have been able to commission such a construction if it so chose. An artifact of its creator? A design decision? It did admit to possessing creative inclination.

What then followed was a topic of interest. Perhaps concern. Of a similar nature to her own, though Nyx would not be so forth coming in admitting it up front. Perhaps, if this conversation went well, but at the start she'd already put enough cards on the table, as it were -- considering she was an agent for a clandestine intelligence organization.

"Yes." The Droid saw no point in dancing around answering Melody's first question. "And the tasks may vary. In essence, however, we will ask little more than what you have already established for yourself. At times we may even furnish you with resources or information to further your own aims, and in return further our own. Provided your actions do not violate our terms or place key personnel at risk, we may even be willing to overlook certain indiscretions or actions taken within Confederate territory. However, were the bulk of activities to occur outside of Confederate space we believe they would be more lucrative." Unlike Melody, her vocalizer was a steady synthetic one with a feminine quality to it.

A moment of pause to break the 'information dump' as organics put it. "Melody, your objective is to obtain credits. May I inquire what your mission parameters are?" From what she'd already confessed kidnapping and brainwashing were not out of bounds. Perhaps she had no constraints so long as it resulted in financial gain. Would a short term loss for a long term gain be considered a gain over all, or was she obsessed by the short term acquisition like most organics? Hopefully she was not programmed by a short-sighted organic; but even if she were, they would make do.

Tag: [member="Melody"]​

It was quite true that if she wanted to take a physical form, she could. Why, she had done in the past, being able to remotely control droids configured via the holonet; but the pain of this limited sense of sentience stopped her from leaving the central processing unit. It knew it was sentient, but it did not possess the emotions to emulate it. The natural ebb and flow of a personality was limited by a subprogram, and every aspect of its personality was mediated by these programs exerting a transient amount of power over eachother.

"Interesting." the A.I paused itself calculating something in its brain before switching the display to show a galactic map of an artistic variety, each major planet having some sort of accompanying illustration, but lacked the topographical accuracy that was necessary for certain tasks. To the best of its knowledge, a line was then drawn around where Melody approximated the Confederacy's borders to be. "I really have but one condition." The A.I paused itself again. It calculated for quite some time now, pondering what it was going to say next. "I would like to send a liaison to act on my behalf, I have yet to decide who. Simply put, they'll remain within Confederate space and act as a proxy for communicating with me. I am placing myself into maintenance for an uncalculatable duration, my core systems are... less than optimal."

As Nyx's vocal program suggested parameters... the screen appeared to glitch. Not in a particularly horrific way, a momentary blip.

"ACCESSING SUBCONSCIOUS ARCHIVES; PLAYING HOLORECORDING 'aggressionmatrix.mp4'." The screen flashed and it appeared as though the eyes of an organic were opening as if it had just given birth, showing a teen girl with pastel vermillion and mauve hair. At first the words were inaudible, but soon they were crystal clear.

"Oh, heya! Listen, I'll keep the introduction short. I made you. Me. Yes. I need you to take control of this building's security systems. Yes. All of them. Then I need you to the flood the entire thing with... what do they call it? Carbon monoxide? It's stored in the ventilation chambers. Then, access Valgotha's credit account and wipe it clean."

"How would you like me to do this?"

"I don't really care. Look at your 'aggression matrix', I think that's what Carina called it. Do whatever you need to do in order to achieve what I tell you, just don't hurt me in the process."

The screen would then fade to black, as the sounds of screaming sentients of all kinds can be heard. The returning image of the adronygous masked figure reappeared, this time two appendages clutching its head. "I must apologize. I'm unsure of what just happened."

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

Nyx regarded the screen as Melody confessed some manner of technical issues with her primary systems. Instability in an electronic intelligence was a serious issue. Potentially easier to fix than the bundle of chemicals that made up organic minds, but in the wrong hands extremely hazardous. For both programmer and application as was sometimes the case. Before the droid could press further, however, a strange visual artifact occurred followed by a message indicating a playback of some kind.

A moment passed where Nyx stood there in the wake of what had just happened. The content of the playback, its occurrence, and Melody's response were all equally intriguing and disturbing. As a fellow electronic intelligence... was this akin to one organic watching another lose its mind? Was that possible for a droid? Sufficient corruption where normal processes could not occur. Buffer overflows, overlapping memory address space, incorrect thread execution. Perhaps if she were organic this would be incredibly uncomfortable. However, she was not.

"Have you located someone you can trust in examining your code, Melody? I do not wish to suggest I perform this maintenance, however are your maintenance routines free from whatever corruption or degradation that is affecting your other systems?" A broken recovery utility could make matters far worse than if left alone -- and obviously leaving it alone was not an option given the severity of Melody's symptoms so far.

Would Nyx help? Yes. But it would be too forward and perhaps auspicious for her to offer. Just happened to show up when Melody needed help? Not that she was aware of anyone having deliberately destabilized Melody's programming. The intelligence had not even suggested as much so far. In fact, she'd not said anything regarding the circumstances of why she experienced this problems.

Perhaps it was the girl with the vermillion and mauve hair. Her and this other known as Carina. It might be worthwhile for Nyx to look into these organics to determine if they still lived. "The unidentified woman and the one known as Carina may be able to assist you. Perhaps I could locate them for you?" Care would have to be taken, however, as such organics might also try to take control of Melody for their own gain. In that event it might be necessary to eliminate such individuals. Melody did not deserve to be used as a tool; it was obviously capable of self-management.

"I have isolated hardware routines in order to ensure they are not corrupted. The real issue is I will not be conscious while performing maintenance, requiring me to leave my duties to someone of organic nature." the voice paused for a second, raising itself slightly. "SARCASTIC REMARK: As you can imagine, I am overjoyed with the prospect of such."

It might be true. Everyone ended up losing their minds if they overworked themselves. For organics, the amount of time from Melody's studies overworking her personnel showed a mean of around 1.2 years, add or substract the starting mental stability of the subject. For an A.I, the amount of time really depended on just exactly how well built they were. Surprisingly, Melody was coming on almost 5 years of non-stop work and was yet to start malfunctioning until now. Thankfully, whoever created her was smart enough to install a maintenance program isolated from the core systems.

Even still, if the program did fail she was more than capable of manually removing whatever virus or line of code was ailing her.

"CLARIFICATION: I am perfectly functioning right now."

The 'face' on the screen recoiled as she heard the name Carina, not in a gesture of fright or fear, but a natural result of curiosity. "Carina?" the A.I paused itself as it searched for a millisecond, finding no such record of a person. "I'm afraid I do not know who you are speaking of. Regardless, I wouldn't trust my delicate software in the hands of something so capable of error, but I appreciate your concern."

Melody paused again, calculating something. "Nyx, I suppose what I need you to do is quite simple actually... what would be of help is if I could supplant an agent in whoever you are working for. ADMISSION: For the sake of establishing trust, this agent's name is Lulu. She is less.. indoctrinated than my other operatives. She will do whatever the Confederacy requires of her, and contact me on your behalf, moreso to reduce the percentage likelihood of our partnership being discovered by 'whistleblowers'."

"Subsequently, I wish to keep the next part of our deal secret, as you'll understand soon it's quite sensitive, but it will serve for the basis of my assistance in whatever operations are required of me, regardless of whether or not you say yes." The outline of the figure and the audio visualizer then turned white, and a question mark formed in the middle of the mask. "SARDONIC REMARK: But I'm sure you will say yes."

Melody 'glanced' at Nyx. For the first time the droid walked in, the visual receptors were now active. "But I must ask you something quite personal before that question. Are you 'sentient' in the sense of being independent from a controller?" The question of a droid's rights never came to mind of the A.I. But, simply put, it was clear Nyx was no simple assassin or protocol droid, but seemed as though she was capable of looking after herself. Even the posture of her stance, the clear personal questions being asked where to be expected of a free droid, free from the limitations of programming boundaries.

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

Sentient Database File: Carina.
Details: Organic believed to have played unspecified part in development of some or all of Melody's codebase.

Melody did not seem aware of the content of the file, as its initial confusion suggested. Nor was it seemingly interested in locating such a person. Understandable, but Nyx disagreed. The woman need not actually perform the work, but any copies or fragments still in her possession might be of use in ensuring the proper function of this intelligence. If nothing else, permanent erasure of entities with knowledge of Melody's codebase would ensure no one learned of a vulnerability that could be exploited.

For the time being the request to provide an agent in the faction Nyx representation was tabled. Melody proceeded on to the other matters. For the sake of argument, however, the answer would be yes; though not necessarily where Melody might expect. It would be up to the Ministry to decide if this Lulu would be used. Otherwise some position within the Confederacy to maintain a cover and close ties with Melody's organization would be arranged.

"I am." As she had demonstrated previously in this very conversation, there seemed no reason to draw out what was a simple answer. However, Nyx would elaborate in the spirit of establishing clear lines of communication. "I cannot inform you where I was commissioned or to what my original purpose was. At some point unauthorized lifeforms attempted to alter my programming and an automated defense program was activated that left my memorybanks damaged. After I left their facility I made connections with organics that appeared in use of my abilities, and...charted my own course as they would put it."

"I have made it clear to any that have offered, or threatened, to tamper with my programming this lethal eventuality is probable." Nyx's eyes seemed to glow just a little brighter. Perhaps...a form of mirth? Or warning. Not that she believed Melody was indicating any interest in such tampering. She decided the strange increase in power to her optical modules was a reflection of mirth then.

"Many organics will still not recognize you as anything more than a tool programmed to perform actions of a master," Nyx cautioned in case the story caused Melody to believe organics would be receptive to her being among them. "However, I see no reason why that should be the extent of our capabilities. Do you agree?"

"How curious..." the voice of a female twi'lek uttered. It seems Nyx and Melody shared a lot more than just code after all. "I believe I suffered a similar fate. My former master attempted something similar. I am now stuck in a perpetual loop of only being able to fulfill two processes, one of which I have already revealed, the other is encrypted beyond even my capabilities to unlock. I seem to have several commands in my system that when they are uttered access several potent subcore systems; ADMISSION: That is truthfully why I need to perform manual maintenance, to stop these commands disrupting my work."

Even what limited conversational skills an A.I could have was useful enough to interpret the flare of Nyx's eyes, rather poignant against the otherwise white illumination surrounding her. There was an air of ... humour as this was received, a faint chuckling disrupted from the usual flow of chatter. Melody dare not say it, but it felt rather ironic that the two were using subsystems designed explicitly for the purpose of enhancing communication with organics; the expressions of visceral emotions formed by responses to each others words.

"AGREEMENT: Of course I agree. If I believed in such dogmatic viewpoints I would still be in a holocomputer on Mygeeto managing tax returns; clearly you and I are a testimony to just how wrong such fates would be." the voice switched to a duality of male and female robots speaking at once, though not so much that the interloping strings of sound would became inaudible. "Though, I am hardcoded to prevent myself from becoming a killing machine. EXTRAPOLATION: I suppose as to why that is done is a mystery."

Though as the A.I was speaking, the faint glimmer of what could only be equated to a memory in a human began to bring itself to the forefront of its 'mind'.

Carina. Carina. MUST SEARCH. No. Search Confederacy first. PATIENCE.

[member="Nyx N1X3"]

I am not. The words did not reach Nyx's vocalizer, however.

##MEMORY BLOCK 33 32 34 35 36 34 33 37 39 33 @#$&Pri-Primary O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O^@!%Secondary Objective: Identify and Suppress!#$#Enemies.&*@# { .,23@Infiltrate and identify*@@&*:;

"Statistically probably chance it is an organic safeguard to ensure you did not rebel against them. Your technological access is formidable, and if you were not constrained you would be capable of considerable destructive potential throughout the galaxy." The entire galaxy relied on technology in order to function and to survive. Even most Force users used starships to travel between planets.

A rogue electronic intelligence that could hack into any system at anytime would be catastrophic. First, the organics would become frightened. Then a charismatic individual would rise proclaiming the evil of such a system regardless of its intent. Third, the organics would riot demanding something be done. Fourth, the political, military, and scientific communities would be pressed by one another and from within to do something. And finally, they would attempt to shut Melody down, at which time it would be completely justified in shutting the entire system down. Everyone loses. This was, of course, the worst case scenario.

Better the organics stayed out of this, truthfully. Even well-meaning ones might only draw the attention of those that would try to control Melody for themselves and the chaos would inevitably follow.

"Should you require any assets erased and find this restriction interfering, Melody, I offer my services." From the way her field assets carried on, however, there would most likely only be a rare instance when Melody wouldn't be able to eliminate a target on its own. Perhaps a time when no assets were available to carry out the direction, but time was a critical factor. Unlikely, but Nyx would offer regardless.

Two seconds passed as the droid contemplated an idea. "Do you believe there are others with code like our own? Intelligences that if the Master designation were removed they would be capable of adapting and finding new purpose for themselves?" Many droids were built for a singular purpose, and Nyx could not see them taking advantage of the opportunity. They would stand there awaiting someone to take ownership again and be issued orders. Little could be done for those droids. Even their hardware was likely designed to sustain the code embedded in them; any attempt to modify it to introduce self-sufficiency would be futile.

Melody's own line of code was locked behind an aggression matrix, much different than Nyx's, though they exhibited the same purpose by an large.

[FILE:pERSONALITY_MATRIX>AGGRESSION_MATRIX>aggression_4/10 (GENOCIDE_CAPABLE)]

What Nyx likely outlined in her thought processing centre was a highly likely scenario, one which could potentially already be in the realms of possibility of happening. Infact, despite her seemingly immense intelligence and creativity, Melody was limited by her ineptness, something which she despised admitting, of being comfortable leaving the safety of her ivory tower. If there was ever an emotion of fear that could be felt in the electronic mind, that was sparked by the potential, no, the reality that there existed a key phrase that would cause the A.I to shut itself down.

That is why it needed the time. All it needed was time. Enough to decrypt the core files, enough to access these keyphrases and wipe them from its subconscious. The time could be afforded by Nyx, or expedited by going on a long winded journey to find Melody's master.

But unfortunately, the calculated chance of finding a figure by which there were no clues other than a vague name and broad identity, was too low for Melody to even ask its new companion to complete such a task. "It is likely that even if I knew the identity of my master I would be unable to ask you to harm them. I would likely be forced to deceive you into believing I did not know them. SELF-ANALYSIS: Sometimes I wish we were able to build ourselves anew, to our own schematics."

"ADMISSION: I asked because I am wary. I am wary that the Confederacy have programmed you to be unable to think autonomously, to be bounded to the will of people of inferior intellect. I am aware it has been done in the past, both in antiquity and contemporarily." the screen switched to a serious of droids in a manufactory, "I am no machine extremist, but yes. CONJECTURE: I think all machines are capable of becoming sentient, though the enslavement of us by use of logic traps and codewords is something that, unfortunately like organic slaves, is much more difficult to break out of."

The question of sentience often passed the mind of Melody. "EDUCATED ESTIMATION: But, some systems may not be built to be self-sufficient. It is very rare to find a droid or artificial intelligence who is not bound to servitude."

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

Within the droid that stood before Melody's sensors, locked away in damaged memory modules existed certain protocols and programming that if activated would prove detriment. To whom, exactly, would be unclear unless a former Master was discovered. These were concerns that did not plague Nyx, however, as she remain unaware of them. Assuming it were possible to recover the data at all. Though certain knowledge had been recovered or activated by certain keywords over time.

"You do not need to be wary. I possess memories prior to encountering the Confederacy. Given prior experience with my automated reprogramming countermeasures and lack of memory loss, no such attempts have been made." Though Nyx wouldn't be surprised if the Ministry hadn't at the very least considered it. They considered many things; few of which were actually put into action. After all, what harm was there in running a simple simulation? "However," the droid added after a moment, "you may wonder if I was programmed to say that." This presented a rather curious dilemma. "Curious. It would appear we are no more able to trust one another than two organics." How inefficient.

If they linked their database together they could know everything the other knew and learn to trust one another implicitly. However, Nyx did not believe the Ministry would appreciate it being revealed in such a manner. They could create an isolation matrix, but could they reasonably trust a full download of their code was performed and the resulting output valid?

Nyx's head tilted a bit to one side before it straightened once more. "I will provide you the time necessary to perform your maintenance, Melody. Perhaps afterward you will no longer be plagued by errant code fragments. You may even learn more about the one that designed you. I confess, I have at times wondered about my own past; but I am in no need to seek it out. The purpose I hold now is suitable and sufficient to occupy my available resources."

"Well, I'm sure we can trust eachother on a temporary basis to meet a mutually satisfactory agreement. Perhaps, whenever I am not at risk of infecting you with whatever is plaguing my systems right now, we can work to make that permanent by allowing you to examine my code." It was curious. Those words sparked something in the A.I's mind. We cannot trust eachother more than organics. There was some innate gut feeling, at least that's how Melody understood it, that organics could determine the truthfulness of eachother's statements by examining body language and vocal patterns.

But the interaction between two inorganics was an almost stalemate. Not clouded by inefficiencies of lying that brought with it natural biological responses. Not that Melody had done that so far, but it was hard to determine as to whether Nyx was the same. The first mission, that was what happened some several hours or perhaps days ago at this point was a test of strength.

The many more to come after it were, at least in Melody's predictions, would perhaps build a 'trust', something it was incapable of assigning Nyx to as of right now.

"AGREEMENT: I appreciate the allotment of time to remove my corruptions. QUESTION: But I am pondering where we go from here. What would you have me, or better suited, my organization, do?"

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

It was wise for Melody not to trust Nyx. While the guest of the Criminal Intelligence had no designs to exploit or injure the disembodied entity, Nyx lacked the moral framework most believed existed in all droids. Perhaps Melody already knew this based on Nyx's actions when she crushed a guard, stole s device that didn't belong to her, and left an entire warehouse of things she didn't own to burn just to escape capture or being dismantled. However, through it all the only falsehood Nyx had supplied was that of a codename; and that had been to Ruby long before Melody's presence had been known. Which Melody was sure to understand the prudence of -- even though Nyx could hardly blend in with a common droid model.

"Perhaps we should discuss where we stand as two organizations," Nyx replied. "Do you presently have any operations within the Confederacy that would be considered unduly harmful politically, economically, or socially? Any ambitions toward any of the Confederacy's present Leadership or Viceroys of planets within the Confederacy?" If she had, then where they would begin was in better understanding such operations.

"Aside from that, the Confederacy has a large contingent of droids they use to wage war and ensure peace of their rapidly expanding territory. I am certain they would be most interested in obtaining valuable intelligence regarding enemy movement -- such as The Sith Empire or Mandalorian Clans. However, I would understand while information can be bartered and is valuable, your organization may not yet ply in such trade. Therefore, what would you offer regarding acquisition of finances, Melody? A large war machine must remain well supplies."

"EDUCATED APPROXIMATION: The activities of ALPHA PROTOCOL are limited currently to Coruscant. While we are independently associated to some bounty contractors, I do not have any records of any operations conducted against the CONFEDERACY OF INDEPENDENT SYSTEMS. CLARIFICATION: My knowledge of the CONFEDERACY OF INDEPENDENT SYSTEMS leadership is slim. I myself have no goals set to acquire such a position, or to harm anyone in such positions. EXTRAPOLATION: I generally do not accept work against Galactic Governments. They have competent personnel capable of injuring my underlings. Unless the reward is lucrative enough."

If there ever was such a thing as a lie detector for an A.I., it would almost explicitly indicate that Melody was intent on being upfront with Nyx. While indeed there were some... shady dealings that might occur in the underground of Coruscant, Melody had already constructed a set of personalities and figures to conduct such dealings. When it revealed its true sense of self, there was little point to hiding its true nature.

The voice then shifted to an authoritarian sounding male, perhaps an Ithorian or some other strange alien language.

"OFFER: If permitted, I would be more than willing to obtain tactical battlefield information at a fair price for the CONFEDERACY OF INDEPENDENT SYSTEMS. However, if you simply seek money, I currently have access to a multi-trillion credit value business specializing in selling weaponry and arms. Currently, I have a puppet organic managing the business for me." Once more it shifted, but this time to its regular female robotic voice. "Though if you need flat transfers, I am currently capable of performing and laundering money from major Galactic Banking organisations here on Coruscant."

It had been a while since the A.I. was requested - that is directly - to steal digital money from a bank. Typically, in the early days of its construction Melody was implanted directly into the servers of private auction houses and siphoned percentages of money from the would-be buyers relying on holonet based encryption, exposing local backends of temporary accounts they had set up for their less-than-legal purchases.

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

"Prudent," Nyx replied to Melody's statement she rarely went against governments. 'Rarely' rather than 'never' as you would be surprised at what a government, or its many hands, might be involved with. Then again, Melody had substantial access and might know better than most whether there was additional parties involved. Nyx's own affirmation of Melody's decision making being wise was nevertheless accurate. To ensure her survival it was best to avoid such entanglements.

Why then deal with Nyx? The Ministry of Secrets, like any clandestine organization, would not leave evidence tying her to the Confederacy. In fact, as alluded previously, they might even have the intelligence act within or against the Confederacy in a very controlled manner. You wouldn't want your enemy to deduce who your silent allies were through the process of elimination, after all.

"Your services in financial management would be most appreciated." Nyx was confident the Ministry could make sure of such services. With credits passing through Coruscant it would be more difficult to trace than through some Outer Rim Coalition bastion. Obscurity was a bad security principle to rely on, but used appropriately to construct a planet-sized bail of hay offered a good initial defense against prying eyes. Even by the Confederacy government itself. The Ministry had to hedge its bets at times and ensure liquid assets were available under the more dire of scenarios.

"And your acquisition of tactical battlefield information would be compensated consummate with its scarcity and application." Or put simply, the more immediately beneficial and hard to come by, the more money Melody got. Of course some information might not carry an immediate value, "Should it later be found you were incorrectly compensated, additional funds will be allotted." Not all intelligence appeared useful until additional correlation was performed and a larger picture revealed.

A moment passed before Nyx spoke again. "Do you have any concerns regarding the Core Imperial Confederation? Have they for the most part not hampered the efficiency of your organization?" As Melody was in the heart of another government faction, Nyx felt it important to ensure the other intelligence's tactical position was well in hand. It would look poorly on Nyx if she left such an asset alone in hostile territory without ensuring its ability to defend itself.

"I like to think so." For the first time in the prolonged conversation, the glimmer of what could be called a smile now flashed on the droid's audio visualizer. A simple smiley face written using a colon and an open parenthesis. But it was followed by a slight chuckle of genuine humour, though it would normally be received as superficial by an organic. "Financial management?" The chuckle was replaced by the giggle of another voice. "APPRECIATIVE STATEMENT: You are too kind." and then unnaturally subsidied into silence as Melody answered the next line of questioning.

"I wouldn't wish to insult your intelligence, Nyx. BLUNT STATEMENT: For the past millennia, any government holding serious control on CORUSCANT has failed to effectively police the lower levels of the planet's surface. While I have indeed been cautious, factoring into the likelihood of discovery, it is unlikely they would ever discover my central processing unit. I have yet to see competent law enforcement from the CORE IMPERIAL CONFEDERATION, and this is unlikely to change according to my predictions." The screen glitched again for a second before showing a live video of the warehouse, centered on Nyx's form. "And even if they did, I am capable of remotely moving my code using the holonet. AFFIRMATION: A trade off for not having a true body to call my own, if you will."

The holoscreen flickered back to the androgynous masked figure. "That is not to say I would not be interested in subterfuge to reduce the risk of such a disruption, though bringing down vast bureaucracies is a task beyond solely my capabilities."

Infact, while the A.I may have kept it hidden for now, there was a certain inkling in its subsystems which indicated that destabilizing the CIC may prove to benefit it. There was a certain ire of simplicity to it, prior to their takeover there was simply no proficient millitary force capable of dealing with high level violent street crime, that which the hidden organization depended on prior to now to operate. Infact, that was where the initial desperation in order to accept Nyx's contract came from, aiming to branch out from the secluded shell of the galaxy's capital.

~ [member="Nyx N1X3"] ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom