Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trespassing? Nah, That's What Keys Are For (Sarge)

Coryth sighed heavily, the day had been utterly exhausting as she put her final belongings onto the Firemane transport, along with her small sailboat. She was at last moving off Corellia and onto Kaeshana. Finally with all her things on board, feeling quiet odd within she decided to leave the ship behind and allow them to transport her things onto Kaeshana alone. They were perfectly capable after all.

A heavy sigh escaped her lips, as she pondered where she'd stay the night. Then remembering she had a set of keys she headed for the apartment of [member="Sarge Potteiger"]. It seemed just as good a place as any and at least she wouldn't have to spring for a hotel.

Slowly she shook her head as she approached his door and fiddled with the keycard in her hands as she opened the door slowly. "He really needs to change the locks every now and then." As the door opened she peered inside, "Anyone home?" The redhead waited but there was no answer.

Finally she made her way inside, setting a small bag of her things on the floor by the door. Then crossing into the kitchen she found herself a plate and then soon rummaged through the fridge. After finding everything she needed the woman made herself a sandwich. Standing at the counter she ate only half of the sandwich and left the other half sitting on the counter.

Then with a sigh, exhaustion was setting in and Coryth wandered into what she last knew as a spare bedroom only to find it had been turned into an armory."Sooo.. that's new. Okay, time for plan b.... plan b...." Muttered as she walked into Sarge's bedroom. Something about it just felt incredibly awkward to her. Cannot sleep here, it would be wrong. One more sigh came and passed as she took a single pillow from his bed and headed off into the living room and flopped upon the couch, quickly falling asleep.

He really did need to change the locks; that's what he was on the way back from organizing, at least. It would be a few days, as they'd need to get keys made first - fat lot of good new locks would do if even you couldn't open them, after all. She'd find the apartment mostly unchanged, other than the guest bedroom becoming his armory. But that was something to be expected from him.

Pausing as he pulled the key from his pocket, he raised a finger to scratch at an eyebrow as he fumbled the key into the lock. With a click and a push, he opened the door and tugged the key from the slot, eyeing the room. Normally, coming in to someone in his apartment meant he'd draw a weapon, but between Anaya and the others... he was getting used to having people around.

That was a bit awkward to think about. He was used to other people.

The brilliant red hair, however, and the tiny frame curled up on the couch. That was only one person he knew. "Coryth." His thick, coarse voice says, setting his keys on the table and pausing over her, eyes the color of the void studying her for a few moments.

Of all the people, why her? Why her?

His hands stuffed into his pockets momentarily before one dropped down to run his fingers through her hair, a faint smile appearing on his lips before he moved to put the remains of her sandwich in the fridge. She wasn't supposed to be here. Not after what he'd done. Not after the last time he saw her, out in the sands.

Maybe she didn't expect him to show.

That would make sense. Setting his palms on the countertop of the kitchen, he stared at the woman, pausing to turn the light in the kitchen on so he could fill a glass with water before going to bed. What a life this was. What a life.

If he were unlucky Mara would be the next one to show up. Now that would be a chitshow.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

If the truth were told, she hadn't expected him at all. It was a single night, and she expected to be gone by morning without much trace of her presence in the apartment. At least that had been the plan, to disappear again without a trace.

Her intention had never been to cross paths with her old friend. For their last meeting had not gone well, and perhaps she'd been a bit defensive at the time, and angry. Angry, but why? Why had she been so? That was a question she could not answer but knew too well there was a rage simmering beneath the surface that she had not dealt with. Not at all. And perhaps it was about to come to haunt her very soon.

A smile crossed her lips as he ran his fingers through her hair, but she did not stir from her dreams. For a change she was not trapped in a horrible nightmare, and peacefully content in her sleep. Such a rare thing for the prophetess, to not see the future in her dreams but to actually find some sense of normality in the frivolous play of her subconscious mind.

It was probably for the best that she did not wake as Sarge came in, undoubtedly a grouchy just woken redhead with what she was dealing with would not have ended well between both of them. For the tiny woman, desperately needed this night of undisturbed rest.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Sarge wasn't in the habit of waking people up when they were asleep, and so he didn't. [member="Coryth Elaris"] could sleep as long as she wanted to. Taking a few quiet sips of his water, he stared at her prone form for several long moments before sighing and moving to his bedroom. There were blankets in the closet; she'd need one. Turning off the light as he left the kitchen he went into his room and opened the closet.

Pulling out a folded up black blanket he went back out to the tiny scarred woman and covered her up. She'd be warm now, and that was good enough. He'd sleep himself and she could come talk to him when she woke up if she wanted.

Going back into his room, he closed the door until it was open just a crack and got himself prepared for bed. He'd be awake a few minutes scanning some datapads, but before long he joined her in slumber, just in his own room.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

Coryth woke slowly in the early hours of the morning. The redhead always had trouble sleeping beyond the first rays of sunshine in the sky. An old habit. A sigh came as she looked to the blanket upon her body. For the life of her, she couldn't remember doing that herself last night. After all she'd only borrowed a pillow. Still, she got up off the couch and carefully folded the blanket, before straightening out her pillow and laying it neatly upon the couch. For a moment she did wonder if Sarge had come home in the night.

Heading into the kitchen, she looked to the counter to clean up her plate from last night only to find it missing. Stepping to the fridge she opened the door to find her leftover sandwich still there. "So not where I left you. None the less, breakfast." As she set it back on the counter, curiosity was starting to get the best of her. Slowly... Quietly the redhead walked down the hallway and opened the bedroom door a crack to see if it really was Sarge there. Well this might get awkward... She returned quickly to the kitchen to eat what was left of her sandwich with the plan of making it out the door before he woke up. But alas the Universe did not always work out this way.

While he didn't wake immediately, he did stir as she began moving around. He debated the merits of laying in bed until she left so he could continue to sleep, but why she was here was important. She hadn't been here since he'd given her the key, that he knew. Which meant she had a good reason to be here. Crawling out of bed, not bothering to put on pants, he made his way to the doorway and placed his hands on the top of the doorframe, stretching his arms out by leaning forward.

"Can I help ya, darlin?" He asks in a voice turned hoarse from sleep, chest expanding as he drew in a deep breath and then lowered a hand to rub at his eyes.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

Coryth cringed as she heard his voice. What's the easiest answer? "Nah, I'm good. Just eating breakfast and I'll be on my way." Yeah, you suck at this lying thing. Her reason for being there in the end had little to do with him and more to do with her. However, she wasn't ready to admit that. "I was just moving my things from here, to Kaeshana. I wasn't expecting you to be here." Sighing she stuffed a hand in her pocket fiddling with the key to his place, debating giving it back and letting this chapter of her life go. But that just seemed far too difficult at this point. After all that felt far too much like letting a friend go, her first friend she made when she came back to Known space.

There was a nod of his head, the 'darlin' clearly the result of his sleep fueled drawl. He'd always been a Corellian at heart, but apparently sleep brought it out a bit more than when he was alert and awake. Smacking his lips faintly, he disappeared into his room again and came back out in a pair of lounging shorts, coughing into a hand as he made his way into the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

Cold water was always a good way to start the day and help kickstart the metabolism; at least in his opinion. "Why ye movin' to the She-woman-man-hater's planet?" He asks, still groggy enough that it was hard to tell if that was a serious descriptor or a joking one.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

Coryth watched as he left the room, finished the last of her sandwich and quickly washed the plate, putting it back in its place. When he returned she took a seat in one of the chairs. "I have a business that I'm working to start. I have funding from Firemane, and from Omega to do it. Non-profit medical aide corporation. So, I needed to be closer to Firemane's headquarters instead of having to travel constantly to go back and forth to make meetings and deal with new clients."

A soft smile formed upon her lips. "I get to do what I love, help people. And I'll have the resources to be able to impact far more people across the galaxy when disaster and wars strike, and hell I'll even be able to offer free clinics to help." A content sigh came and went as she thought it through, "I get to make a real impact. So, moving was just one of those details that I kind of needed to do. Not that I don't love Corellia, this was my first real home. I'll miss it for sure, but yeah ... This will work out better for me I think."

Her eyes dropped to the floor, the thought of leaving Corellia did pain her more than she would admit to. "If I get to help more people ... And I get to settle down a little bit, stop getting into so much trouble with Sith, and what not ... It will be worth it."

"And, being around less men might help me heal older wounds. Almost everything else has healed but not that. Not after the rape. So maybe I need that too." It was the last of her wounds, really the last thing that truly still pained and tore her apart. "I've only ever been able to be around you comfortably but no one else really.But I trust you." At least I did.

"Probably helped you knowing my attention was usually focused elsewhere." He loved Coryth, that much was true, but while he would profess to that any day of the week - and had before - it paled in comparison to what he felt for the other redhead in his life. Statuesque where Coryth was small, flawless where she was scarred. An image, really. Cory was a real person, with real pain.

Real history.

Real emotion.

The woman he loved was an image. A figurehead. A title. She was a whisper on the wind where Coryth was the howl in the dark; one so real, so startling; the other so imagined. The early morning mental darkness swept across his features like stormclouds on the horizon, brow darkening to almost match the voids of his eyes. "A little bit at a time, Coryth. A little bit at a time. We all carry our burdens, and it's not until the march is over we can set them down. Just don't be afraid to ask for someone to hold you up when your legs feel like giving out; it's what we're here for."

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

[member="Coryth Elaris"], [member="Sarge Potteiger"]

((Posting with permission from Coryth. Just a small cameo. Not gonna crash the thread. Which is very sweet BTW!)).

Siobhan was not clingy...Not at all. She preferred attached or protective. There was no evil intent behind the fact that she had asked Mirien Valdier to...keep an eye on Coryth Elaris. She loved her friend dearly, but she was, much like Siobhan, a trouble magnet. And her brush with death due to Sith Poison had been far too close for comfort. So it was no surprise that Siobhan would be reading an intelligence report about Coryth being on Corellia, apparently finalising her move to Kaeshana.

Perhaps she was getting a mother hen complex, Siobhan could not help admit to herself, as she flipped through the report. Coryth's final belongings along with her sailboat had been loaded onto the Firemane transport, though the redhead had stayed the night. However, the report said nothing about where she was staying, just that she had not checked in at any hotel. As a matter of fact, Coryth had not even told Siobhan that she had the key to Sarge's place, nor did Siobhan know that the man even lived there. Siobhan frowned slightly, but then brushed it aside. She could not be hovering all the time! Coryth was a little badass and could take care of herself.

She very much hoped that after all the pain she had been through, Coryth could find a home on Kaeshana. The short stack of fire would soon be presenting her proposal her company to her and Tegaea, she was looking forward to it. And so she put the report back into the folder with the neat aurebesh sigils and put it away, then got up from her desk. Then she got back up, straightening her skirt slightly. There was...lots of paperwork on her desk, but she could deal with that tomorrow and so she headed out of her study. Time zones are a bit wonky, but the sun was setting on Kaeshana and she had to tell Galina a bedtime story before her daughter went to sleep.

Coryth nodded slowly her eyes still locked on the floor as her thoughts wandered to the events that left her this way. "It did, yeah." She admitted quietly.

Slowly she took in a deep breath, and held it before letting it out slowly. It was after he finished speaking that she finally looked up, "Had to face him ... again. He's finally dead." Those words, were something akin to a floodgate, so much emotion had been held back for so long. "He's dead. But it still hurts. It still hurts," Tears came flowing so easily, without any warning or indication that they'd been there threatening to fall all along. "And I haven't ... haven't told anyone.... The dreams tear me apart, and I can't make them stop. I can't stop seeing him, feeling him .. Inside my mind he still is there. I ... I thought him being gone, dead would make it go away but it doesn't.I thought ... I ... thought..." The redhead with a sniffled gave up talking as the tears fell, keeping her from being able to speak. Frustrated with herself, with her own mind and her emotions for breaking through at this point. This, was something she never did these days. With a shake of her head, she buried her head in her hands.

Why everything finally broke through her facade of 'just fine' she wasn't too sure. Maybe it was just something she'd been holding in for one moment too many. Maybe because the words she'd admitted hit too close to her wounds. And maybe the reason was because she'd been so distant from him. Him almost a stranger to her these days. And he not close to the situation as Siobhan was. After all Coryth had gotten good, very good at keeping her emotions in check, keeping it all in and only ever allowing herself to break down alone. The woman never wanted another to think less of her for it, or worse still pity her. It seemed to make it easier to admit things like this to him. Much easier.

Sarge frowned faintly at her tears, not saying much as he studied her and listened. Taking another sip of water, one hand stuffed into his pocket, he stared down at the floor for several long moments before setting his glass down and walking over to her. Pulling a hand away from her face, he took a firm grip on it and then lifted her from where she sat. Pulling her in against his burned chest, he wrapped her tiny frame up in his embrace and held her there.

"Quiet, Coryth." He whispers, "Quiet."

There wasn't much more to say, but he knew something that would likely make her feel better.

Knowing he understood.

"Let me tell you a story." He says in that same quiet drawl. "A story of a man who'd lost the one thing in the galaxy he loved. It was Coruscant, too, as you well know." And he could see it all over again.

Suddenly there was something in front of him, but at this point a cold, cold rage had set in. Nothing was keeping him away from his prize. The pilot of his dropship was already pulling up - but he wasn't dodging, he was narrowly avoiding. But Sarge on the other hand... he'd never been closer to a Sith than he was in that moment.

Combustion was a dangerous power, but he reached out with his mind and detonated a missile through sheer force of will creating a cascade effect of flaming debris that was going to scar and mangled the front of the dropship as it plowed through it.

With Sven's ship beginning to tilt down now that the pilot was gone and his dropship already clawing upward and then tilting forward... this would be close. The top of Sven's ship mangled the bottom of the Sarge's, entire lower section nearly coming away in the process as the pilot fought with the control stick to keep the ship from literally spinning out of control and into a nearby building.

Using his suit, he commed to Ayden, and he made a simple deduction based on the words from the Vong earlier. "Palace. Burn it." The Spirit was in orbit, and nothing would survive it's touch. Nothing.

There was a sharp jerk from the man as he pulled himself from the memory, and slowly he began to speak. "When I lost Cira, Coryth. When I watched her heart still, her body cease to function. I died. You expect that when people you love die you should feel something, but sometimes you feel so much you go numb. You go into shock. And that's what happened to me." He wet his lips.

"But more importantly, Coryth, more importantly I didn't let her go."

And then he told her the real story. The one no one else knew but he and his demons. It was the story of a man and his past, of love and loss... and of breaking the barrier between life and death in a vain attempt at righting the wrongs of the past.

But, most importantly, it was a story of acceptance. Of moving on. That grieving and latching on with both hands was normal. She wasn't out of the ordinary. Other people had the exact problem she did... and one of them was holding her to his chest right then.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

Coryth kept her face hidden, crying for as long as she could. Even going so far as to resist him pulling a hand away from her tear-stained face. With a sigh, she quickly gave up and let him shift her, and instantly she buried her head against his chest and let the tears fall.

After a sniffle or two she managed to calm down enough to listen to Sarge, to listen to his story. Shifting slightly, she pressed her ear against his heart, just trying to take in the sound steady sound, something that was comforting to her in that moment.

"I'm sorry, Sarge." The redhead uttered quietly, feeling deeply for his loss. "I know, it can't possibly have been easy for you to have to deal with that."

Another heavy sigh, "I just ... I ... thought, with Xerexes dead that I would feel better. I thought all the pain he caused me would finally cease to be, but it hasn't. It hasn't and I really want it to." A heartrendingly painful sob followed. "So many of the things I've done have been to protect myself from him, from people like him... Seeing him alive after all this time I thought him dead, it just makes the pain that much more real, and raw." Sniffled as she futilely tried to wipe away some tears from her cheeks.

A breath in .... and out .... How could she possibly explain this, and how much it pained her, weighed on her shoulders day in and day out. "I .. I ... am still trying to get over what he did to me. The torture, fine I can live with that. But ... he stole something else entirely from me." In and out.... "He raped me." Those words, spoken aloud hurt. It felt like a dagger had been slammed through her heart. "That wasn't the end of it, Sarge." Only a small handful of people at all had a clue of what she was about to tell him. "I have a daughter out of what he did to me." Instantly she choked back a heavy sob, trying to maintain control.

For a moment all she could do was bury her face into his against his chest and allowed herself to cry. "I gave her up .... Gave her up for adoption, all to protect her." It seemed like the weight of the galaxy rested on her tiny shoulders in that moment, and just speaking her pain out loud, somehow lightened it just a little.

The little redheaded Jedi having a daughter, was not a well known fact. Few even knew of the extent of her torture while she was held captive by Xerexes. Fewer still knew she was raped, and next to no one knew she'd had a daughter from those horrible events.

"I don't even know her name." Whispered as Coryth finally managed to calm herself just a little. "I just ... wanted to forget it happened. Wanted to protect her from .... Him.... From me. Wanted to forget .... but I can't."

Sarge felt his palm stroking down the back of her head, letting the rivers of her tears stream down her face and over the thick burn scarring that marred his chest. "Death is more the survivor's affair than the person doing the dying." He says quietly. And that was true. Death was an end to pain, suffering. Everything. But it was those left behind who had to deal with the ramifications.

Often, death created more problems than solutions. Everyone seemed to think it would improve things, when in reality it was a hollow victory at best.

But what felt weird to him, just then, wasn't the crying.

Or the rape.

Or the baby that realistically should have floored him upon being informed of its existence. That didn't faze him, for some reason. It might have had something to do with being a godfather; being told that news was flooring.

No, it was hearing her call him Sarge. Something about a nickname that came from a rank being used in the same utterance as the admission 'I was sullied and impregnated by a horrible waste of a human being' didn't sit too well with him. For obvious reasons.

But he didn't say anything. No sense in vocalizing those thoughts. "You're not going to forget, Coryth. From the day we're born to the day we die, we don't ever truly forget. Not the big things. Not the things that make us who we are as a person. Life is a tangled web of moments, each one a captured insect in the strong silk that is memory. The big ones, the ones that really struggle and move, they attract the attention of the spider that is our brain.

And like the greedy, needy beast it is our brain devours those moments and absorbs them. And once they're apart of you, they don't leave. They're there with you, forever, in that web. Time fades the carcass, leaving it a hollow, empty shell of the vibrant thing it once was, but that doesn't change the fact it's there. Just out of the corner of your eye, sitting. Gone, but not forgotten.

Go find her, Coryth. Go find her and live your life with the knowledge your daughter knows who you are."

Worst. Metaphor. Ever.

"It would be better if I did. It'd be so much less painful, less heartbreaking." A sigh came and went as she vainly reached up to dry away her tears. "I think I made a mistake in letting her go. I just ... was so damn angry when she was born. I couldn't look at her, without seeing him." That probably the part that pained her most, "A complete innocent and I couldn't help but be furious with her, and how she came to be. It wasn't fair. It wasn't right." In and out... She breathed slowly, trying her best to calm herself down further.

"And I sure as hell couldn't raise her. Was never capable of that, not with being on my own since I was seven or so. Didn't know how I could manage her, help her and guide her." Her shoulders fell with another heavy sigh, "So I did the only thing I could think of to protect her from me, from him.... Giving her up was really the only option I had. Maybe it was for the best, I don't know. I do know I regret that decision now."

The little woman shook her head, "The stars know how what I'd have given to have had decent parents, to not have been on my own alone for so long. Feel like I denied her that. Everyone has a right to know who their parents are, and I denied her that."
In and out .... Just keep breathing. Having to remind herself through the pain just to keep doing that simple normal action and she'd somehow make it through.

"It's not that simple. It's a closed adoption, Sarge. Once she left my arms, she wasn't mine anymore. Legally I gave any right I had to her and her life. I've no rights in which I can stand on to even get her name. As much as I wish it could be that simple, it isn't. It's not like I can walk into the agency and simply ask for her name. They aren't going to let me have it."

Another sigh, "I don't know if I should even go looking. So damn broken, and I don't know if I should bring that to her doorstep. I don't even know what I'm looking for when it comes to her. Don't know who or what I should or could be for her other than the person who gave her life. Gave her the life I could never give her, by letting go. Maybe its better for me to stay out of her life." Fear, so many fears and worries racing through the tiny woman's mind. So many uncertainties. Does she even want me? Does she even want to know my name? What if she's so damn angry at me for what I did? I did it all for her, but what if I was wrong? Fear certainly was holding her back now. Fear that she might be too broken to be anything to her child. Fearing that her kid, might be so damn angry for the choices she made to protect her.

"I'm just afraid. Afraid of doing the wrong thing, of having done the wrong thing. And what if she hates me? I don't want her to hate me. I just don't want all of it to be a mistake."

In and out .... "I've lived for others for so long, helping everyone else through their hurts and pains, but I've never stopped long enough to do something for me. To help me. Feels bloody selfish of me to do so now. And maybe that was the worst mistake of all, never taking care of me when I needed it most. Letting the pains get so bad, and never really telling anyone."

"It sounds to me like you already know what you have to do." He says quietly, running his fingers down through her hair in an attempt to help calm her down. "I was scared like this, once, you know? Afraid of moving forward. I'd just woken up on Dac, with no memory of how I'd wound up there and no recollection of the previous year or so. And I was afraid. By the Force, was I afraid."

Inhaling slowly, he wet his lips and exhaled. "But I moved forward. I joined a rebellion. I learned how to hold a blaster, how to put my kit together so it didn't make noise when I moved. Abbi even tried to teach me how to pilot, although that was never much my thing. But the thing was... I afraid of not knowing, and more importantly, I was afraid of moving forward not knowing."

There was a nod. "Nothing closed has ever kept me out. I've been to the war room secreted away beneath the Imperial Palace on Coruscant, past countless Sith guards, all to find the woman I cared for. If I can get there, Coryth, I can get you a name." Sarge wasn't one to brag about his accomplishments, but right then she needed a good solid reminder of just who she was talking to.

He was hearing a lot of 'no' and that meant giving her plenty of reason to say 'yes.'

Which meant he had to open his trap in a way an atypical fashion.

"Besides, most planets allow the adoptee to open their own sealed records should the fancy strike them. Your name was likely not recorded on them, meaning they wouldn't be able to find you... but if they have unsealed it? Consider it an open door. An invitation. A flickering candle on a frigid winter's night, letting you know that someone in that home is awake and ready to shelter you from the chill.

The only thing you have to fear, Coryth... is yourself. She would never remember being put up for adoption, and I'm sure her new parents - assuming she knows she was adopted - impressed upon her that it wasn't about not wanting her. That it wasn't about her being a blight on the galaxy or anything like that. They probably let her know that her mother just... couldn't care for her like she needed to, and that meant she was going to have to entrust someone else to do so.

It's not about taking a life out of your hands, it's about giving a life into another. Cheer up, Cory. Square your shoulders and give it some thought. Don't let fear be the deciding factor, though."

"Yeah .... I guess I do." Sighed softly as she finally managed to find some sense of composure. The idea of the unknown, however was a most terrifying prospect, that he was more than right on.

A smile smile started to form. "That's right. Can't ever keep things locked away from you." A nod followed, "A name is all I need. A name, and she can be found." Coryth didn't have her name. Not yet, but she'd seen plenty of visions of a young redhead, who looked a lot like her mother. More like her mother than the girl knew.

"What if, her parents were horrible. And I made the biggest mistake in letting her go? That frightens me more than anything else in the Universe. I'd happily stare down a Sith, but if I failed her .... I don't know that I can handle that." Coryth already had more than enough heartbreak in her life. This ... all felt so fething complicated, and so damn scary. To think, the prospect of meeting her daughter, frightened her more than many of her life experiences already ... was a daunting thought.

"I already have thought about it. I can't not think about it. Not when I keep seeing her, seeing her future. I need to find her. Somehow." Breathing in, trying still to calm herself a little bit.

"I do have question though. About something else. Kinda need to know the answer to it." But she didn't elaborate just yet.

"Shhh, Coryth. Shhhh." He says quietly. "I know the danger an unresting mind poses; Force knows it's why I can't sleep very well at night." Giving her a squeeze around the shoulders with his arms, he pulled back enough to get a good look down at her. As a man, hearing a woman say 'can I ask you something' in any manner set his teeth a bit on edge. But he'd answer. He always answered.

She wouldn't get a lie.

"Go ahead and ask."

[member="Coryth Elaris"]

"You came back. I was dying, and you ... left me my locket and left again." Reaching up she wiped away the last trace of tears.

"Why?" A heavy sigh followed, "Said you'd be there for me, if I ever needed. You weren't. You left."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom