Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tome of the Lost

The Vahla were a subject Maiev had rarely explored over the years. Her father had supposedly been one, but she had never met him - and for all she knew he could still be alive somewhere in the galaxy. Though the witch had never really had anything to go on. Her mother had died merely minutes after giving birth, and Kalax was certainly not going to bother telling her.

Even then, she doubted the spirit had information on him.

But it was the species in general that had always caught Maiev's attention, how could it not when it made up roughly half of her very being.

For years it had all been Dathomirian this or that, whether it was being raised as a supposed second coming of a deity. Or living and training out in the Wilds with Vae. The witch had practically pounced at any chance to explore her Vahla roots. But the past attempts had always been dismissed by Kalax, who heavily favoured continuing Maiev's training out in the galaxy. And as it had been a habit, Maiev slowly pushed those plans aside as she got lost in her exploring.

Now though, she was taking the time to follow a solid lead she had recently come across.

Apparently a small dark cult had situated themselves within the Yavin System during the time Clan Rekali had a presence there. Whether they still did these days, Maiev wasn't sure. But what she did know was the Clan had discovered them years ago and 'cleansed' their base of operation. Now there was an enclave hidden somewhere deep in the jungle, sealed away from galaxy with a rumoured item still tucked away inside.

It was a tome, something of supposed great relevance to the Vahla. Clan Rekali had apparently either failed in finding it, or had never known about in the first place. The only reason Maiev knew of it was because they hadn't managed to capture all of the cult members. One had managed to slip away, and as it always was; rumours spread and eventually one managed to stick.

Namely she knew where one of the enclave's entrances were located. How Maiev was going to get about getting in, was another thing entirely.

| [member="Oran Shule"] |​

PORT SHARDROCK
YAVIN IV

Shardrock wasn't what it used to be.

Used to be the main port of call for anyone visiting Yavin. Not as large as one of the Core startports or even the smaller ones of the Outer Rim, but the stronghold of Clan Rekali received a lot of traffic when it was the heartland of their territory in Mandalorian space. Things change though and after the Remnant Empire swept in through the Gordian Reach it was downsized. Then huge swaths of land were bought up by a certain Thirriken and Shardrock (and the Great Temple) became little oasises managed by the Jedi Academy. It was slowly stagnating and the people living there knew it. Some, that had always been balancing on that knife's edge of the Dark, left for the Empire... the ones that saw the coming tide of that same Empire?

They left for the Silver Jedi or maybe even further than that.

Those that remained were the ones with nothing to lose and nothing to gain. They sat tight as it was the only life they knew. It was this Port that Shule touched down in, carried by a mid-sized freighter that had been hauling fuel cells for the Great Temple.

"You want me to wait for ya, Shule?"

Shule looked up from his scroll, watching the creases of the older bloke's face. Human, but there was a touch of Hapan there. It made him briefly wonder just what kind of history sat behind the thick laugh lines and the hands that were so comfortable with carrying crates, yet had old plasma burns.

"Oh, I will find my way off once I am done." That earned him a strange look, but eventually the human turned around and went back up the ramp. Oran nodded to himself and then pushed off, it was time to find a working speeder around these parts. It couldn't be too hard. The Rekalis had been patrons of the tinkerers way back when. The armorers district hammering day and night with small crafters making work from scrap and other metals.

[member="Maiev"]​

It probably would've been easier to just have her ship land as close to the enclave as possible, but the jungles surrounding it were far too thick for such a landing to be possible. Which thinking on it, was likely the whole point it was built there in the first place.

Any decent clearings were littered with some ruin or another. The only one Maiev could've landed at was too far away from the entrance's location - she was better of landing at the nearby port than walking that entire length.

That was exactly what happened. She had Iggy land the ship down at Port Shardrock, and had trekked deeper into town to find some means of transport.

Her attention had flown everywhere, taking in the sights but also noting how 'decayed' it seemed to have gotten. Just barely upkept day in and day out, and there was a certain presence that lingered in the air. That of something that once had its heyday, but was not just wallowing in memories of the good days.

Maiev could see the streets being a lot more packed, ships coming and going just like any other busy Port in the galaxy.

There was history here, something the witch was admittedly interested in learning - though only after she was finished with business here. Which in this specific instance, was trying to barter with a speeder merchant.

"I just need a vehicle to travel into the jungles, that's all."

"And as I told you miss, I need to know your reason for it." The man was considerably older than Maiev, sporting a heavy grey beard. Muscles straining against his shirt as he stood before her, arms crossed against his chest. It was plainly clear this was more of an armorer, which spoke lengths to how limited Shardrock had become if the manufacturer had to be the merchant too. "I can't just let you hire one without."

Force, this is getting annoying...

<Maybe he's had a vision, and knows how bad your piloting is.>

...That's not helping, Kalax.

[member="Maiev"]

The armorer's nook was located only three streets west from the landing platforms.

A brisk walk took him there, but even still Shule could feel an exhaustion seeping up through his bones already. It was pathetic. Three streets and it felt like he had climbed a mountain, but when you spend two decades locked in a library and never bothering to do any decent exercise? That is what would happen to you.

Stagnation.

Empires fell as surely as a body could decay through lack of care.

Dusty streets, some corners brushed clean by those that cared, others filled with garbage... 'til he got to his destination. The grounds were filled with all kinds of speeders, some of them under repairs, disassembled and more, others in good state.

"I just need a vehicle to travel into the jungles, that's all."

"And as I told you miss, I need to know your reason for it." ..... "I can't just let you hire one without."

"My name is Oran Shule." The man said, introducing himself to get the armorer's attention. "My partner and I are xenologists, who are writing a paper on the methodical approach the Yavin Cree-beetle uses during its hunting season." This wasn't the truth, of course, but Oran had been read about it on the way here.

"It is quite fascinating, if you wish to know more?" Tone slightly hopeful.

".....no, that is quite alright. I can only rent out one speeder though to you two, the rest are tied up." Shule blinked at that, he had not been expecting his little white lie to blow up in his face like that.

"That. Hm. Partner, do you mind if I have a short word with you over... there?"

Maiev's annoyance was about to bubble to the surface, the desire to just coerce the man into giving her the speeder was becoming an increasingly desirable outcome. But just as she felt her hand twitch, a spell ready to muttered from her lips - a third voice suddenly spoke up behind her.

She turned her head, a bit too sharply perhaps as she took in the newcomer.

A number of questions began running through the witch's mind, but right now the man was giving her a way out - although it was also forcing her hand to be in debt to him.

She let out a sigh of relief, allowing the frustration to leave her body as well as present an faux impression that she was glad Oran had shown up. Which wasn't entirely untrue, but she was intending to get the man out of her hair as soon as possible.

Why was he also wanting to go into the jungle? His xenologist excuse came across as absolutely rancorchit, but it was doing it's work in distracting the merchant. That and she could practically see the man recoil from Oran's suggestion to elaborate.

It also meant he wasn't about to question Maiev we she hadn't even mentioned it when asked repeatedly why she wanted the speeder in the first place.

But then, just as her luck would have it, there was another problem. Maiev had to bite back her curse, eyes looking to Oran as the man spoke up again. There was a flicker of suspicion, but the witch would play along.

"Oh, of course. Lead the way, partner."

Kalax didn't need to remind her to be wary in that moment.

[member="Maiev"]

Shule exchanged an awkward smile that showed too much teeth with the merchant, before exiting the armorer's yard with Maiev in tow.

Brows furrowed in thought for a moment. He eyed the yard again, the speeders there, then back to Maiev who seemed to be growing impatient by the moment. Oh, dear, this was starting to become rather inconvenient for him and if it weren't for his lack of physical endurance Shule might have simply tried to... walk. "I did not expect that to go as it did." He pointed out after a moment or two. She gave him a look and it could be interpreted as anything, from 'You don't say' to 'I am going to murder you with a dull spoon', it was the latter mental suggestion that brought a moderate amount of curiosity to Shule.

How would one do that anyway?

"I am here for academic purposes." Oran explained after a moment of thought. "Ancient writings, very obscure, I am unsure if they even really exist."

Part of him truly doubted it. Another part just hoped that they didn't- it would make this entire affair much easier, the less his Vahla side came out the better in his experience.

Nobody had tried to ritually sacrifice him in years now.

"What are you looking for here? Perhaps I could be of assistance."

She didn't bother looking at the merchant as they stepped away, Maiev followed; her stride not giving away the fact she was walking into this with tentative steps.

Once they were out of earshot, Maiev stopped and turned to face Oran, arms folded beneath her chest. She wasn't going to be the one to start the conversation, and waited until the man spoke. When he did, her lips thinned and head tilted to the side slightly.

Her posture said 'you don't say', whereas her eyes promised agonizing pain if he didn't get to the explanation quick.

Perhaps the frustration was making her cranky. Just a bit.

"So, you've come here in the hopes of finding something that may not even exist?" There was a look of skepticism thrown his way. Albeit, if Maiev had taken the moment to think, it would've probably clicked that her reason was much the same.

<You mean, like exactly the reason you're here too?> Thankfully, she had a spirit on hand to correct her - annoyingly so. A rather sour expression flashed across Maiev's face, as though a bucket of water had been poured over her head. Maiev thought on what to say and reveal to the man. She needed the speeder to traverse the jungles, and it was clear they'd just end up in an impasse with both of them wanting it. That, and she could always use a second pair of hands, or a body to throw to the fire if needed.

He could also be lying for all she knew.

"I know of some ruins located deep in the jungles, I'm intending to go there to explore."

[member="Oran Shule"]​

[member="Maiev"]

Head inclined.

"Indeed I am." If Shule did not seem to be overly worried about it, it was because he wasn't worried about it whatsoever. Even if the tome wasn't there, where he thought it was? That wouldn't be the end of the world. Part of hunting for knowledge was the process, the journey, you learned much from that journey alone.

So, even if the tome was missing, something else could be learned in that moment.

"Ruins? That sounds fascinating. We will visit your site first, then." The decision was made in his head and Shule already turned around, back towards the merchant.

He hadn't been waiting on them.

Instead the decision had been made by the old Mandalorian to go back towards tinkering with one of the speeders in his yard. Shule could see the experience running through his hands, he was good at it and knew that he was good at it. Probably one of the reasons that the man had been around for so long here on Shardrock.

Competition had been fierce once upon a time.

"We are ready for that speeder now."

Maiev just blinked when Oran made his decision and immediately turned his back to her and walked away.

<Well, he certainly doesn't waste time does he?>

The witch sighed, following after the man as they returned to the armorer's yard. She watched as the merchant didn't answer initially, focused on fixing something on the speeder. It was clear the man was experienced, not letting his attention be diverted until he was satisfied with what he was currently occupied with.

"Finished your little talk then?"

"We have, and we've decided we'll take the speeder."

"Good." It certainly didn't sound like it from the merchant's tone. He stood up, sliding his hydrospanner back into a pocket in his overalls. "That'll be nine hundred credits."

"What! You mean to buy it?" Maiev's eyes widened.

"To rent it. Do you think I'm just going to let you drive it off into the jungle, with the potential of it being wrecked?" The merchant folded his arms against his chest, making it clear as day he wasn't going to budge on this. "As you can see I don't exactly have many speeders - especially ones still available. If you want to use my only one; that one." He nudged his head over to the far left, were a speeder bike sat. "Then you'll give me the credits."

Maiev would've probably bristled if her proficiency in piloting any vehicle wasn't appalling. She hoped Oran was a capable driver, otherwise this was going to get interesting real quick.

[member="Maiev"]

This was starting to wear on him.

One roadblock after another placed by an unfeeling caricature of a Mandalorian. There was no budging; there was either the payment or the road... or perhaps a third path in between. Perhaps Shule would have considered that third path, if not for the fact that money was never a true concern to him. He didn't care about it- Shule could sleep in the coldest ditch, the warmest bed and eat a variety of food in between. Clothes, ships, real-estate, none of it mattered to him. There was only one thing that the Vahla cared about in truth.

And that was knowledge.

So, instead of arguing any further or considering a premeditated murder Shule pulled out a small pouch. The insides were a mystery. He didn't allow anyone to peek in it, because that would be a silly way to lose your advantage.

Bartering 101.

Out came a little shard, green, shiny, it wasn't more than the shrapnel the size of a grown man's finger nail. But Shule noticed the sudden greedy shine in the Mandalorian's eye. "You know what this is, yes?" The Mando nodded furiously and he seemed to have a hard time of restraining himself. Hands twitching just slightly, wishing to extend themselves to take the shard away.

"You take it, the speeder is ours, yes?"

Hesitation only for a moment, before another nod and then finally the grabby hands grabbing.

Shule dropped the little shard in the Mandalorian's hands and then wandered over to the speeder, while the artisan was too busy gushing over his price. It was presumably worth more than the entire house, wares and work he outputted in three months.

The building frustration was beginning to dull Maiev's inhibitions, and the desire to just snap was growing increasingly appealing. Even Kalax's presence could hinder it, as the witch's mind wandered on what exactly she could use against the armour.

In the next moment however, Oran stepped up. He remained beside her as they stood before the merchant, both their eyes were on Shule as he pulled out a small pouch and revealed the contents.

<Well, well isn't that interesting...>

You know what it is?

<Not a clue.>

Aren't you ancient in age? How do you not know?

<Try being stuck on a planet for the past several centuries. That, and being in your body doesn't exactly expand my knowledge.>

Maiev noticed just how quick the Mandalorian changed his tune, eyes practically gleaming at the sight of the shard. Whatever it was, either the man knew exactly what it was - or just knew it was valuable.

A lot more so than a measly nine hundred credits.

It left the two of them to take their purchased vehicle, although the witch had a feeling they could probably take anything right now and the man wouldn't bat an eye. Maybe.

"What exactly was that shard?" She asked, wondering if Oran would even give a straight answer. "And, do you happen to know how to drive one of these?"

[member="Oran Shule"]​

[member="Maiev"]

Long fingers brushed the hull of the speeder.

He crouched down next to it and a critical eye studied the half-visible engine to the side. "Oh, yes. I read a book about it once." That... that... well, Oran seemed completely serious about it and the way his eyes trailed the contours of the engine, it seemed that he knew what he was doing. From a book. Eventually he pushed himself off the ground and nodded in satisfaction. The speeder was okay, it was most definitely not worth the 900 credits for rent that the artisan was asking.

But right now that one was still staring at the shard with something of saliva gathering up at the edge of his mouth.

"Huh?" Oran blinked confusedly for a moment as he studied her. For the first time, really. Before that his attention was mostly on the craftsman and the speeder. She had a beauty to her. Symmetric lines, just the right angle for her nose that suggested coyness, but without the excessive sharpness the Hapan favored in their children.

The ratio of cheekbones to jawline to the subtle ridges of her brow were exquisite as well.

"Oh. Roonstone. Just a little shard I found while I visited it during my travels." Not the one for much in the way of small talk Oran settled himself down on the speeder, gesturing for her to sit behind him. It was time to get this show on the road. Talking about facial structures and little toys like that shard wasn't truly the way to go about that. Though Shule did wonder if she would allow him to draw her. It- she would be a good addition to his little booklet.

"Oh, yes. I read a book about it once."

Maiev held back the desire to let out a groan of annoyance. That did not boad well for them, if the man was going to be drawing knowledge from reading rather than actual experience piloting the vehicle.

Although, it would still probably be better than Maiev driving it. Probably.

<Ah, now roonstone does ring a bell.>

But you've never seen them?

<Mhm, I just know they're valuable crystals - worth a ton if the old stories are true about someone destroying a large cache of them, making them insanely rare.>

The witch's attention snapped back to Oran when she realized he was looking at her, eyes lingering across her face and down her body. Something about it irked her, and instinctively Maiev crossed her arms.

She could hear Kalax letting out a snort of amusement.

<And why are you being all annoyed with his looking? Isn't like you've disliked it in the past.>

It's because I am annoyed, this whole day has been a pain already.

Maiev only hoped the rest wouldn't be as headache inducing, but there was only one way to find out and she climbed onto the back of the speeder. Seated close behind him, arms wrapping around his waist to keep herself secure.

"I'm Maiev." She said, realizing she hadn't even bothered introducing herself before now.

[member="Oran Shule"]​

[member="Maiev"]

He had gone through the regular initiation procedures as dictated by the manual he had read a few years ago.

Seven breaths.

Until Oran realized she had introduced herself. It was surprising to him, because usually people weren't much inclined to close the distance that always existed between himself and them. Something about his demeanor that put people naturally at unease. The fact that she seemed annoyed about this entire thing did not help the matters, of course. "Oh. Oran Shule, but you knew that already." He murmured back, before engaging the motors which immediately made the speeder lift up.

Her arms tightened around his waist.

No experience with speeders at all, then. "You may want to loosen your hold a touch, Maiev." He got out, barely. "Trouble. breathing...- yes, thank you, that's better." Waiting a bit to make sure she was okay, Oran nodded in satisfaction and angled the controls exactly how the literature had described it.

Perfect angling.

They were off, slow first as they moved through the village and faster once they escaped it into the jungle itself.

"Where to?"

It took a moment, before very quickly; as she heard Oran just barely wheezing out words, realizing she had been holding on a bit too tightly.

Maiev immediately loosened her grip, and her cheeks turned red.

She didn't say anything or apologize, just simply let the man focus on driving the speeder through the village.

Karking dammit, Maiev! You've ridden atop rancors before, how is a simple speeder bike giving you trouble...

As she was internally berating herself, Oran kicked the speed up a few notches once they were in the jungle itself. Maiev almost tightened her hold again, but refrained from doing so and simply took a few deep breaths as they zipped around several trees.

It was always the build up to ignition that got to Maiev the most. Once the journey was underway, it was fine.

At least that's what she always told herself.

"It's a few miles west of here, a clearing with a waterfall and lake - that's where the ruins are supposedly hidden." It was the only real piece of information Maiev had on the area. That while there was no visible buildings on the outside, it had been one of the entrances Clan Rekali had hit.

[member="Oran Shule"]​

[member="Maiev"]

She would not notice.

But a brow went up to that particular set of directions.

Because it was the same set of directions that Oran had been after and that was puzzling. The chances and odds that these two sets of beings would encounter each other on this day for the same purpose in the same location? That was... astronomically small. In fact, it was small enough that Shule became cautious about it. What if this one was one of them. It had been decades ago when the Bloodless had attempted to sacrifice him to their aspect of Vahl.

That did not mean she was not a part of them though.

"To West we go then." No inflection except for the strain it took to keep the speeder angled to the West. It was certainly more difficult than how the manual had described it. He would have to remember to write some annotations to it, once he was back at Kuras.

"What do you seek there?"

When one hides interest it was best to be straightforward. In the way one would ask for the weather, curiosity, yes, but only in the way of novelty.

Oran's question came as no shock when he finally spoke. She has suspected it; or something along those lines, was going to be inevitably asked at some point.

He struck her as the meticulous type, wanting to everything exact and to be informed before ever setting a foot forwards.

That, and there was the curiosity.

Nothing too alarming, but then Maiev was always one to be cautious around strangers that just so happened to be in the right place, at the right time.

"Oh, just information mostly." A vague enough answer to be satisfying, but leaving out specific details. Was she here on personal business, or had she been hired by someone to find something.

Their journey took them West, and in time it became impossible to not know where the location was, as the sounds of cascading water grew more prominent. Right until they finally arrived through the jungle, and into a sizable clearing.

Before them was a waterfall, fairly decent height - enough that one would probably second guess trying to climb it. The more pressing issue however, was the lake that covered the ground in front of it. Stretching across and making it impossible to just simple get closer.

Well, unless you wanted to go for a swim.

"This is the spot, supposedly." But there was a lack of any ruins, at least outwardly so.

[member="Oran Shule"]​

[member="Maiev"]

Oh.

It would have been satisfying... for some.

But Oran was defined by his hunger for knowledge and her vague answer was not nearly as edible as a true answer. He let it lie though. For now. Because either way, he'd find out soon enough what it was she was looking for at exactly the same place he had been heading for. It could not be a coincidence. On the same day that Shule had decided to pay a visit to a place marked by his blood, this woman suddenly showed up? A woman that smelled of power, power of fire, power of blood.

No, it was not a coincidence.

Either this was a trap or Vahl was influencing these events.

The great weaver, always planning, always plotting, always watching for her children- even if they didn't believe in her. They stepped off and Oran powered down the bike, studying the lake and the waterfall with a certain curiosity. "Can you swim?" The Vahla would ask, while squinting and trying to make out the details of the waterfall. "Climb?" It could not be as easy as the structure being hidden behind the waterfall. Could it? Surely their kin weren't as... obvious as that? The hidden ruins behind the water was a story as ancient as day. They would have been more original than that, try to confuse them and maybe imply a thing or two.

They had to be.

Maiev looked over at Oran as he spoke, following his line of sight that was currently staring at the waterfall. She followed suit, trying discern any specific details obscured behind the waterfall.

But it was impossible to see much, whether there was even a ledge to grab ahold of from down in the water, or to shimmy along from the side.

"Yes, I can do both. Feel free to take a swim if you like." It was clear the witch wasn't going to do so herself. Instead she began walking the length of the lake, searching for something.

That was when Kalax chimed in.

<You can feel it, can't you?>

Mhm, death. And plenty of it...

Although it was a question of where the bodies were. It wasn't as though the feeling came from behind the waterfall, but rather it was centered within the clearing. And yet, there was no sign of a battle. No bodies; whether they'd be just skin and bone by now, littered the ground.

Maiev turned back and began to walk back towards the center, where they had got off the speeder. Her eyes were drawn to the ground, covered thoroughly in fallen leaves. Suspicions rising, Maiev knelt down and brush them aside. The action gradually revealed a dirt path, well worn and seemingly disappearing into the lake.

It didn't add up, and the witch suspected the Vahla before didn't exactly desire going for a swim every single time they wanted to get into their base.

[member="Oran Shule"]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom