Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomb Raiders, Mostly Proportionate (Levantine Sanctum Dominion of Tash-Taral)

[member="Seydon of Arda"]

The village was all eyes, from all directions, and not all of them friendly. Jorus descended the last stretch of the trailhead.

"Felt it was important I be here and I've got no idea why. Don't know why you've come here or what I'm interrupting." He gestured back, vaguely, at the place where the Bullet Time had touched down. Other ships had gone to ground nearby, bound down by the force of the long fall entailed in every gravity well. "The others have their targets, they're getting familiar with the place, but Me, I was just the guide. I didn't come here for anything more than the sake of gut instinct. Help me out?"

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Anders Sivas"]

"This doesn't sit well-"

He lacked the time to finish the thought; he always got sensitive when it came to agency. Mentalism in general made him fairly uncomfortable. There was no slipperier slope.

"You've got thirty seconds. Run."

His lightsabre splashed sky-blue light on mica flecks in the stone walls. The branching tunnels coalesced in his head, a moment of clarity, and he knew they'd passed the major intersection closest to the door. With a grunt, he stopped and turned around, sabre levelled. A half-dozen tuk'ata, their eyes gleaming with sentience and anger, skidded to a halt just out of reach of his blade.

"Aye. I get you. Come on, let's go be useful," Said the Dunaan, and patted off a small cropping of hanging dust trying to stay crept up on Jorus' shoulder.

The Wise Child received the pair again, but not after a moment of quiet cajoling with little throng of harried 'guardsmen' standing like a linked gate before the ingressed pathway. They weren't fast bothered by the bone-chimes whistling atop the marker posts, but they did not like their elder exposed to unnecessary 'outlanders'. Hands were settled on long, kiridish knives. Ultimately, Seydon left his longswords to their care as an agreed mark of taken faith, and guided Jorus down to the little plaster hut.

They saw the elder-thing was dwarfed in proportion. She was garbed in a long, sun-yellow coverlet that wrapped around her as ably as any monastic uniform. Premature maturation made her thin skin stretched, sallow at the cheeks and jaw, eyes bulging large and swollen with bloodshot. The Wise Child awaited their seating, before serving a sweet, sugary pu-erh tea.

"We haven't had much attraction to our little shanty-pile. The last time we had the adventurous kind come through, we never saw them leave. I guess their bones are worm hostels by now. ...You say one of you does work for coin?"

"I do," Seydon said.

"Good. Because there's work for your kind out there in that fat, empty dry-lake we're edged upon," She chewed on a length of brackish reed. "There's a den out somewhere on the silt-bed. At night, we see lights emerge. Whenever they come to our village, come morning someone is gone. We never hear their departure. There is only a great deal of blood."

"You can see the den from the village?" The Dunaan asked.

"It seems to like shifting place to place come sunrise," She replied enigmatically. "Never the same place twice. But if you're lucky, you'll find it on the North-eastern plain, by the greater cracks near the bed heart. ...Now if you'll get on with it, I'd like my nap now."

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

"If this is your life," said Jorus a few minutes later, as they passed the village's edge, "I can see why you are what you are. I've never heard of you putting on airs. Nothing like an uncertain paycheck -- and working for a living, at a trade -- to keep your feet on the ground." He'd cinched his gunbelt a notch tighter this morning, down twelve pounds from the day he and Alna had walked away from a few hundred billion credits. At the heart of that decision had been the same quality, the same need and perspective, he thought he saw in Seydon.

"I never took the Jedi living stipend, the subsidies and all that. Doesn't feel earned." He pulled a small pair of electrobinoculars from his belt and squinted down the cracked plain. "Does that look like it? Two o'clock?"

"Thanks!"

[member="Shule Windspeaker"] gave me the time, his lightsaber veering into a blue haze. I push my back against the wall and stay between Shule and Bucket, then shut my eyes. The pock-mark minds of Tuk'ata pepper into my mental texture, and one by one I take in the imperatives of their command. Most are following the alphas, the leaders. . . the rest are acting on instinct.

Instinct I can work with. Instinct is subconscious and pristine. I begin to shift the lower instincts, leaving their wills mostly alone but for one specific thing. Don't protect the Sarcophagus. Protect others from it. Stand guard against it. Keep others out. By switching the loyalty, I hope to keep the sarcophagus and its new casing protected from outside intruders until the nullification resin does its trick.

The leader minds are keener. Shifting their protective instincts from keeping the sarcophagus safe to keeping others safe from the sarcophagus isn't as simple as the underlings. Yet, with a burst, I break through.

The Tuk'ata begin turning around, snarls turn to low growls. It's working.

"I got it, I got it. . . " A spear of pain shoves through my temples, I buck it off and and do mental battle with the lead of the current pack, until his head wags from side to side in a stupor. The Tuk'ata begin to back down, yet it's a hair trigger retreat. One wrong move. . .

"I got it. I switched their protective instinct to guard others from the cask instead of guarding the cask. . . it should work."

"Let me see," Seydon reached for the electro-binocs proffered up in Jorus' grasp. He settled on the crazed bluff overlooking the bed-plains, following the Captain's muttered directions. It took a moment to get his eye in. Calloused fingers kept bumping minute control studs and sending the view-finder screen through rotating modules scanning through infra, electro-magnetic, low-light, beta, alpha, until Jorus had to lean his hand over and reset the binoc.

He followed up a threading 'foot-trail' planted in the cracked clay-mud. Heat had baked the lake-bedding until the mud-flats had either cooked to a consistency mirroring industrial ferrocrete, or curled like dried leaf-petals, brittle as bad iron. In the last half-day by local solar hours, bodies had been moving southerly by the cliffs the village almost leaned over. Seydon magnified the image-take until he was staring at a sandstone lid leaning up from the ground.

"Hmn?" He chopped the magnification up, trying to pick out detail. It was roughly a meter in horizontal span, standing up to another three from the lids on its bottom and top, embossed with further motifs depicting hunter-prey cycle interactions. Erosion was clawing the chiseling away. "...That may as well be it. Come on, we need a way down.

"...As for airs and all that," Seydon paused. "...Hell's teeth, Jorus. I don't know. It's not up for me to say. I'm just trying my best. ...Here."

He began to shimmy down a vectored part in the cliff-sheer to a small outcrop landing, one of a set dozen that looked stable enough to give them a steady climb down to the lake bedding.

[member="Jorus Merrill"].

From another man the curse might have seemed quaint, but Jorus couldn't feel that now; of anyone he knew, he'd expect Seydon to have the most well-developed perspective on both Hell and teeth. He repacked the much-abused binoculars at his belt and set about chimneying down the crevasse where Seydon had descended. Each segment, vertical climb to horizontal rest, took him incrementally longer, though he kept himself in good shape. Good shape for a grappler and tramp freighter pilot didn't mean much when it came to the harsher physical challenges that the Dunaan tackled on a daily basis.

He'd spotted the iconography, though, shifting from pilot mode into a state of mind more amenable to first contact. Symbols could be waypoints, in a sense, and navigating waypoints was his stock in trade. The glyphs floated through his mind as he followed Seydon down to the lake bed. Up close, the sandstone carvings hinted at ancient complexity; water, even currently-absent water, was not kind to sandstone, nor were the desert storms that could strip a man to kindling and mush. On the assumption that Seydon would be busy reading spoor, Jorus applied himself, at a little range, to gleaning what significance he could from the lid's relief carvings.

The lake's tundra dry sand-scape housed a minute but focused local biome, scurries of glass-scaled monitor lizards no bigger than a human's thumb hurrying from gorse bush to bush, high flocks of raptor-vultures, wings tipped in razor-pinions, talons like nexu-fangs, trembling bulbous songs from inflated goiter-sacks in their swollen diaphragms cartwheeling until they shot like sling-stones to the lake-floor. They passed through intermittent copses of light-hardened, petrified pole-cholla, over partially sunken cacti pits needling their booted ankles. Sound was a wind-moan tuning through parts in rickety ironbark methusam trees, to fill the dead lake with a hollow choir and orchestra.

Eerily, they could hear the wind but not feel it. Seydon kept pausing, eyes snapping over at some strange, hairy shadow mimicking a crustacean outline hurrying out of sight. Loneliness kept them company, despite the small, minute line of bullet-point shades watching over up high on the shore-crest, against the village's rust-shanty backdrop. He reached and wiped a line of perspire off his brow and nose. Seydon was following a spoor-line tinted with imitations of egg-shell rot and methane, subtly masked by blooming creosote flowers stuffing their nostrils with a smell like hard cologne. At their feet still was that meandering trail snared up from the stone and mud-flaps. Not necessarily a difficult path to follow, but the Dunaan kept up his reading of the details.

Stocky, wide-set at the hips, at least two hundred man-pounds, walking with a shoulder-first caper occasionally scraping bone-smooth knuckles against the ground. Seydon stopped a moment and knelt, picking at a balled sand clump. It broke in his fingers after some gentle pressure, feeling the moisturized consistency through his glove before taking a short whiff by his nose. Spittle. Drool. Hints of escherichia coli, staphyloccus, bacterial providencia and proteus. Septic-natured pathogens that hinted at a regular diet of necrotic meat or at least some digestive system that produced the bacteria in lymph-glands.

Following the claw-prints, it took them to the jamb of the naked doorway. Closer inspection labelled the sealed over entry with a further mote or two of heavily faded splendor. Seydon stared over scattered chain-leaves of polished jade hanging with some temerity off old, old nails. Iron spines driven into the sandstone were caked with hoarfrost rust. Inspecting closer couldn't reveal an obvious entry mechanism; lacking hinges, analogue servos, it looked immovable. But so close, the Dunaan was almost gagging from ethereal scents of animal-vicious corruption. Touching his knuckles across a breeze worn glyph excited daemon-pain up his arm.

Seydon drew Winterfang. It's steel looked avalanche-white in the beige light. Something in the stone loosed a ragged groan, the Dunaan feeding his blade tip into the hatch-seam to gain purchase and leverage.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Jagged edges of the Laekia cut through the fluid space of vacuum en route to Tash-Taral, planet of tombs, artifacts, and above all monsters to hunt. There were two kinds of hunters in this Galaxy, as far as Nui was concerned, the ones that wanted to make it a better place, and the ones that just wanted to earn some cash while doing it. He still wasn’t entirely sure where he fitted in that narrow-eyed vision of the world, probably the later though, his days of righteous crusading were long since over.

It had taken them a while to get here proper. The Fringe had send them to help out the Levantines in an attempt to bridge gaps or something. Sardun wasn’t privy to the sensitive inner-workings of the two nation’s relationship, but in his (admittedly simple) mind things didn’t really look so bad. The Levantines were mostly people who were concerned with keeping their portion of the Galaxy clean, same could be said for the Fringe, though the Lords of the Fringe might be slightly more prone to expansive behavior. Probably their location.

Fighting Gods from beyond the Veil might make anyone grouchy.

Sitting next to him in the co-piloting seat was [member="Tal"]. He was the other guy… droid, whatever. They had met before, Hellgotha, things hadn’t been nearly so pleasant. But they got along now for the most part, and he wasn’t nearly as uptight as most droids were these days, so there was that.

ETA 2:00 hours.’ the computer’s feminine voice called out. Made the fallen Jedi sigh just a little bit, this would take a while.

Tal, take over for a sec. Gotta visit the crapper.’ he transferred control to the droid, strapped out of the seat and started for the toilet.

Onith Trill

O
"Again? What is that, twice in the last forty-eight hours? You nature's waste so much time." Tal replied as Nui headed to remove some waste. Strapping into the seat he took ahold of the controls, hopefully getting them towards one planet of Tash-Taral. Some old Sith Tomb world that didn't have the good stuff that Korriban or Dromund Kass did, and thus didn't get raided as much. Tal wasn't sure what the big deal was anyways. Trying to build off of other's people's fortunes and artifacts. Perhaps it was because he didn't have that magic that Nui did. Maybe that made things different for nature's. He wasn't a legal droid. Who was he to judge?

But then again he wasn't a lot of things that he was doing. He wasn't a hunter droid and he was going hunting, he wasn't a pilot droid and he was piloting, he wasn't a person and yet he felt, thought, or at least he hoped he did. Putting the thought into the lower reaches of his databank he decided to focus at the task at hand, namely getting on world. The ETA was a bit below two hours at this point, but perhaps if Tal disabled some of the safety features, put more into the engines . . . there. That should do it. They'd be reaching the planet in no time.

[member="Nui Akona"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Tal"]

You know I never considered how often I gotta go to the crapper. But the droid had a very good point, every day spending x amount of time on the toilet seemed very inefficient, not that I could really do anything about it, besides maybe petition to be turned into a HRD… and who really wanted that crap. Walked down the slope of the hallway just outside the cockpit, to the left there was the room with the database of the ship, basically held all the cards and systems of the Laekia in check.

Not my point of destination though, I was looking for the toilet. A few steps more and I entered the circular lounging area where most of the hallways met each other, in the middle was a futuristic table that could project all kinds of nifty things - spend a few days tinkering on it and managed to enable basic virtual gaming functionality.

Didn’t tell Seren yet. Surprise and all. Guy would probably be ecstatic once he realized he would be able to play the new installment in the Chronicles of Wibbick: Escape from Barafka Basin. Lounging area behind me, I passed the medic bay and finally entered the bathroom.

I ain’t gonna go into details, seems a little bit unnecessary. But the point was that while @Hal was tinkering with the systems I was just about to finish up, the shocks running through the freighter caused me to stumble though… I was done already, which I was very happy with. The noises our ship was making? The vibrations across the durasteel walls? Not so happy about that.

Zipped back up and started for the cockpit.

Hal!’ wasn’t able to raise my voice above the groans though, wasn’t really necessary either. Hopefully the droid would realize what the feth was happening and be able to compensate. Hopefully.

Onith Trill

O
The wall shakes while the floor trembles, but I don't really care. I've got some gyroscopic stabilizers to deal with these sorts of things and Nui has access to some sort of power I can't pick up on my scanners. I might not be able to understand it now, but I'm betting with enough study I can figure it out. Or at least get enough data that perhaps Hegemonic's lead designer Hannibal Oryen can. If it was a natural phenomenon there had to be some sort of technology to manipulate it right?

In any case, I suppose there are more pressing matters than fighting-style data interpretation. While the ship's shaking doesn't really rattle me it does occur to me that hey, that planet is getting closer and closer. Time to run a diagnostic. Our arrival time has decreased exponentially, but it seems damage to the ship's hull is far less avoidable now.

Perhaps I am not a pilot droid for a reason.

"Nui. I think you should hold on to something." Tal calls out to [member="Nui Akona"] as the image of Tash-Taral grows larger and larger.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
I was running, then I was falling. Face planted itself into the deck of the ship and a muffled grumble escaped me. Everything was woozy, that was the entire thing with the breath - it was good, you are a freaking tank for the entire while you are channeling the power… but if you get caught off guard? If you ain’t using its strength to enhance your body?

You are just a regular guy with a geeky robe, I tried stand up and get to the cockpit, before [member="Tal"] makes us crash, but it was impossible. Everything was shaking, at first I thought it was just my head and mind a bit woozy from the fall. Until I realized it was the entire ship that was shaking like a mad man.

This ain’t good, but I couldn’t get the strength back in my legs to run, so instead I started crawling, slowly to the fething droid and his piloting skills.

Onith Trill

O
Nui doesn't answer me, but I can guess why. The shaking has gotten a lot worse. We've entered atmosphere now, that's probably why. I attempt to pull up, to brake, to do something, but nothing really helps. We plunge to the ground with the ship making a screeching sound that make me turn off my audio-receptors.

A pity that [member="Nui Akona"] didn't have that ability.

I turn them back on once the shaking stop. Seems whatever we hit we were done hitting it. I look around at the cockpit. Not too much internal damage on the ship at least. A diagnostic shows I'm due for an oil bath in two days but otherwise am fine. I guess it's time for me to check on Nui. Heading out of the cockpit I turn up the volume on the my vocabulator and yell out to him.

"Nui, gimme a damage diagnostic. How you doin there buddy?"

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Anders Sivas"]

"For getting us out..."

His sabre lowered as the tuk'ata, still amped with adrenaline but mentalized to the gills, backed off with confused growls that sounded a good deal like Ancient High Sith. After a moment, he deactivate the sky-blue blade.

"...for getting us out, it looks like it's worked. But tuk'ata are old -- and besides that their culture and instincts are heavily ingrained, and some of them are fully sentient or close enough. They'll revert sooner or later. Let's be sure to be elsewhere when that happens." As they passed into the desert sunlight again, he gave a chuckle of self-deprecation. "There's every chance they'll decide to try and scrape the resin off the sarcophagus. Just a matter of whether the tomb's reduced nexus will reduce their aggression before that can happen. I've been talking with the Jal Shey about a solution for Sithspawn...we'll see how it goes."

"Sooner or later? You're optimistic. I'm expecting them to go back to usual in the next fifteen minutes. The near-sentient ones anyhow. Trickle effect from there, but yeah. I might be able to tangle with many, many minds but I can't keep it up or maintain the persuasion once I'm gone. Still, it gets us out of here without more bloodshed and gives the resin a chance. If only I could have more time down there to heal some of the visceral and spiritual wounds, it would be easier for the resin to work." I ring my fingers through my hair and rush out to the sunshine. Ah! Fresher air! A droid who isn't barking quips and shooting fuzzy creatures of potential doom! Life is considerably more appealing up here in the clear air.

I walk along with Bucket walking backward (he's still facing the tomb entrance with his trusty gun pointed thusly) and glance up and down on the newcomer who saved me from potential dismemberment and a huge headache. "Jal Shey? Whose that? A Jedi Master of epic repute? Aw, the resin will hold, have faith Shule! Not blind faith and I'd totally check back in a couple of weeks to see what happened but hey, we did it. What's next? I'm up for shutting down another bunch of Sith Gobbledegook if you are. The compass of Alchemical Whimsy has another reading nearby. More'n that, I can smell it. Don't like that smell at all."

[member="Shule Windspeaker"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Nui? Who was Nui? My name was Takalo Drsjvnoev, First Blade of the Celestial Empire, Keeper of the Breath and Defender of the Far Marches. With a groan I managed to roll on my back, one eye opening to check who was deeming himself worthy to speak to me. A… droid? He seemed strange. Not the kind of droid we usually employed, for that matter, this entire ship seemed extremely peculiar.

Ты кто?’ I demanded of him. ‘Черт возьми, где я?

If [member="Tal"] had a translation module installed, he would soon find out that not a single language in his databank matched the words uttered by his companion.

Onith Trill

O
Being a combat droid my databanks only hold major trading languages, namely Galactic Basic and Huttuse, but even without a translation module I can tell it's weird stuff. Doesn't sound like any Fringe language I've ever heard. I haven't asked Nui a bunch of questions so I don't if it's some language from his past either. A quick diagnostic gives me two near-equal possibilities on what's happening to Nui right now. Either he's hit his head really hard and was just making it up as he went along or he was just karking with me. I figure both problems have a similar solution, and execute a plan to fix it.

Namely a slap to the face.

[member="Nui Akona"]

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
I kept staring at the peasantly droid, waiting for a reply. Patiently I might add, some of my brothers would have ionized it for taking so long, but in the grand scheme of things I was a kinder Master. Yes. It started to approach me, ah yes, good. He probably didn’t want to shout too hard, his diagnostic scanning equipment must have picked out the screech that was currently thrumming in my ear. Leaning in, I waited for its res-

*KETS*

Head got knocked back as [member="Tal"] slapped me straight in the face, I blinked and looked around, pondering. Huh. My eyes focused themselves on Tal again and again I blinked.

Tal… since when do you have a brother.’ another ponder and a raised eyebrow. ‘And why the hell is he pink.’

Onith Trill

O
"I have billions of brothers Nui, with thousands being made everyday. My mother engages in the galaxy's oldest profession and gets paid quite a bit." I reply to Nui. "But none of them are pink." Hopefully he comes to his senses shortly. Extended confusion would imply a chance of concussion greater than seventy-six-point-five-nine percent, and I'm not exactly qualified to deal with that. Perhaps if I can convince the Fringe to pay me I can petition Hegemonic for a field-medic upgrade. Then again field-medics only really stabilized patients, not cure things like concussions. If only Nui had a sturdier frame, perhaps then he wouldn't be susceptible to such damages.

"You ready to head out yet or do you need another lick?" I ask, not sure what else to do but hoping I'm not gonna go Sithspawn hunting with a partner seeing doubles.

[member="Nui Akona"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom