Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To the Moon & Never Back

Eshan.png
To the Moon & Never Back

. . .Eshan. . .
Srina stepped down from the Ferocity with practiced ease. The ramp had only just lowered to the grasslands, before the ship began to withdraw, so as not to disturb the area. She had little doubt that her entry to the area had been silent. It was of little consequence as she didn’t intent to hide. She wore the soft colors of her House over the darker tones that she preferred while operating within the Confederacy. Not armor. Not the clothing of an Exarch…Simply, something she might have worn while home, among her siblings, and extended family.

“Shhh…”, she murmured to the restless creatures that were hiding neatly in a wicker basket. There was the occasional growl, scuffle, or whine but overall—the non-sentient pups seemed to understand. The now eldest Talon had always had a way with beasts. The diminutive companion’s that she had originally obtained from Leritor were no different. They settled, mewling, but mostly for attention. “…It won’t be long.”

She had placed a soft blanket beneath them for comfort and partially enclosed the top of the basket with another. Space, despite the comfort of her frigate, could be a cold place.

For that matter—So could Eshan.

Much of her time had been split between her duties to the Confederacy and the restoration of Eshan. She coordinated efforts to ensure that the Droid Nation didn’t infringe on the sovereignty of her homeworld. It was difficult to do, while maintaining an exclusion zone, and often required taking a shortcut through Silver Jedi space. Still. When Echani Command ordered their forces to withdraw they would have no other response but to oblige. They were not conquerors, here. Not oppressors.

Srina would give her life, gladly, before ever letting that happen.

Pale blue fabric swept behind her while she walked, bending blades of grass her and there, but otherwise, she seemed to leave the area undisturbed. The blue cloak she wore had white fur lining the hood and a metallic silver belt that cinched it tight around her waist. She wore a white top beneath it with silver stitching, and tan protective leggings, that tucked unto knee high traveling boots.

She didn’t seem to be carrying any weapons—But that was never true. She was Echani, born and raised, which meant that her very being was bred for combat. In places like Geonosis they found her security, her inherent grace, strange and otherworldly. On Eshan? It was typical. Normal. Expected.

Srina wore the same face of her mother. The same face of her mother’s mother—And so on and so forth. It was easy to know she belonged to House Vail for someone that lived in the area. Especially, for someone like [member="Spencer Jacobs"]. It was her property that she approached. There were no visible guards for their Queen but that didn’t mean there weren’t any. Hiding, blending with the tree line, and observing from a distance. There was no need for sprawling castle but touched the clouds, but instead, a modest estate meant for peace. There was enough housing for domestic staff and varying workshops…But otherwise? A small retreat from the hustle and bustle of the main cities.

Eventually grass gave way to lovingly laid stone pathways and flowerbeds as far as the eye could see. This was the Eshan she remembered. Not, the one that rolled in ash and flame.

Eventually she was stopped by a pair of well-meaning guards that patrolled near the edge of the fresh water that ran through the property. They had watched and waited long enough, though, upon inspection they seemed to recognize her. Srina wasn’t sure if the Queen had foreseen her unannounced arrival or if it was something else. They requested to see what was in the basket, and she lifted the blanket, to reveal three sets of bejeweled eyes. “Gifts.”, she spoke softly, failing to elaborate, though there was no need.

They already knew she meant no harm. It was just their duty to ask.

The lightly armed guards allowed her to pass. It didn’t seem that they bothered the Queen much. Mostly, they kept an eye on the perimeter. Even if their ruler wished for a normal life of quiet anonymity, there were certain customs to be observed, especially, when it came to her well-being. They gave her the illusion of space and freedom as best they could.

The young Echani made her way to one of many gazebos that dotted the area and approached the woman she had come so far to see. “My Lady Queen.”, she announced herself lightly, respectfully, while coming to stand beside her. Srina had no eye for art, nor beauty, but it was quiet here. For just a moment, just a small moment, she could forget the drums of war and the call of duty.

She could not go home. The memory of her elder sister was still too poignant. The grief of her parents was too visceral. She had to be strong, remain strong, and she could not do so when she had to hold their hearts aloft as well as her own. Srina had never been gifted with understand emotion. She could scarcely keep her own sentiments under control these days.

“Restoration to Eshan City is progressing. It is slow, though as you predicted, conditions are improving day by day.”

[SIZE=10pt]Sitting up in her bed, birds fluttered across the window. Someone was arriving and their presence rippled and stretched the Force. Spencer looked out and sighed, a feeling only a few could have ever felt – empathy her curse and her gift. She was being summoned unknowingly by the storm that coursed through space.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Spencer had been focusing her efforts on the restoration of Eshan. The Mandalorians had done their damage, but it was nothing that the Echani couldn’t have brought back. Speaking on history and the like, the people that were lost were not going to be easy to replace even if that was even possible. The slender blonde woman wrapped the soft silken fabric around her frame. She had always been small and slender – almost weak looking, yet those that knew her would only scoff at her frail appearance knowing what lay only beneath her surface. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]A monster to some, a savior to others, the Queen of Eshan was never at a disadvantage. Her peace was disturbed as she felt the storm that had awoken her a few days prior draw closer. At least now she was able to put a face to the clouded aura. A soft smile spread across her face as she looked upon the porcelain face of someone, she owed her life to. An ally who had become more than just that. The officialness of the woman made the soft smile fade slightly. Something familiar to the way Srina was acting made the half-bred Queen, choke back her own emotional baggage. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Now wasn’t the time for her to remember the ghosts of her pasts. A hand raised as she waved off the statement from the other Echani. “I get my daily reports from those that are paid to do so. At least when you come see me Srina – come as who you’re meant to be. My friend.” Moving as if she was floating, the blonde-haired woman patted Srina’s shoulder. “I feel more than you here, who else have you brought to visit me?” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Spencer wanted the woman to feel comfortable and at ease, she would start to nurture her emotions soon enough, but she had learned at a young age that most people don’t wish to have an empath force their way into their emotions. Srina would need to be inviting and trust Spencer before she could start healing. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]“I’m happy to see you, I don’t get many visitors that aren’t paid to be here.” [/SIZE]

[member="Srina Talon"]

Srina’s gazed slipped, slowly, before they returned to the face of the woman so many looked up to. It was true that there was a certain amount of fear that carried along with her name, but, every ruler worth their salt held a slight stigma. They could not lead without it. “…I am as I am.”, she replied gently, unapologetic, but still recognizing that the formality of her words had struck a chord. Some of it was ingrained. Some of it, was due to being trapped in a constant state of chaos and war.

The order of battle won the day. Not the heart—Only the head.

“I wished to know. We’ve done our best not to interfere.”

If the Confederacy pushed any further, they’d be just as bad as the Mandalorians that arrived to Eshan in the first place. They came with a promise of ridding the Echani people of some sort of “evil” while relinquishing basic freedoms that culminated in mass killings. The nation that she had become a part of, that she had a hand in leading, tried to do what they could. Public opinion would never be entirely favorable, especially, since her people were quite proud. With that in mind…They did what they could without ruffling the feathers of those still wading through oceans of grief.

The hand of the Queen on her shoulder pulled her from a distant place and the young woman felt a faint smile curl at the kiss of her mouth. It was an involuntary reaction. It was a truer expression than the pale reactions she gave to her peers, mostly, because she hadn’t meant to do it. When the taller woman asked whom else she had brought on this visit the young Exarch debated on holding on to the surprise but it didn’t seem prudent. Of course, she would feel them. “Friends…They are very loyal and will keep you company in my absence.”

It was a plain fact that she couldn’t come home as often as she wanted. The reasons she had stayed away before no longer existed but that didn’t mean she was free to disappear from the duties she had accepted for months at a time. It was a tiny thing, to present little creatures in the expectation that she wouldn’t be there in the future, dead or otherwise, but it was a heartfelt gesture.

Such displays of affection rarely came from Srina Talon.

Her hand moved and the soft blue cover that hid the Yorshi pups in the wicker basket retracted, before folding neatly, just behind them. Three small canines perked up and began to wag their tails so hard that their back ends almost made them topple into one another. “They are from Leritor. I have one, Draco, who has become a small warrior. He is fierce and even tries to stand up to some of our dragons on Ryloth…I’m surprised he hasn’t been eaten.”

To the wide variety of flying reptiles that decorated Ryloth, her Yorshi, was little more than a light snack with legs. Somehow, someway, he always seemed to come out on top. So stubborn. It was no surprise that Srina identified better with beasts and droids over people. People, were unnecessarily cruel, and often lied. Droids and beasts did not. “Name them and they will listen. Love them and they will love you always.... They are quite the avid students.”

One of them, the female, was quite a lot smaller than the two males. She was the runt of the litter but she had a set of intelligent, shining eyes, that often saw her besting her larger siblings in little games. Srina reached out and began to scratch one behind the ear and the Yorshi rubbed its head against her hand and began to make little grumbly sounds of enjoyment. It was almost impossible not to want to play with them, especially, when they started to edge toward Spencer curiously. If they weren’t high above the ground, in a basket, they would have been all over her already.

At the notion of her Queen being happy to see her—Srina felt a pang of something she couldn’t identify. She recognized that she was both a royal and a friend but the Exarch didn’t really have many of those. She had people she worked with. People she protected. A Master, a husband-to-be, but very few who saw anything but a frozen-hearted leader. Perhaps it was Spencer, or, just being on Eshan without hordes of orders to give but it almost made her feel like time had regressed.

She felt younger here. Less angry. Less sad…But her fury and grief still existed. It boiled and writhed with or without her focus beneath the surface of her skin without any regard to whom might feel the darkness it became. Srina put on a mask of calm indifference for benefit of others, as it was expected, but nothing could be further from the truth.

“I am…”, she trailed off softly, trying to find her words, without lying to her friend. “I am thankful.”

Happy? No. Srina was not happy. If anything could bring some semblance of that emotion to her being, it would be this, seeing her world recovering, and spending time with someone she was close to. Spencer knew her in ways others never could, half-echani, or whole. Silver eyes darted up from the pups and her head tilted. “Play with them won’t you?”

[member="Spencer Jacobs"]

As the pups were revealed, Spencer’s smile widened. As a girl she had always wanted a pet of sorts, but with the traveling she did with her Master and as the First Apprentice – it was out of the question. Srina went over what they were Spencer nodded along and watched as they moved about the basket and craved the attention of either woman. Hearing about Draco made Spencer smile wider, it seemed the creatures were more than she had expected. If one was fearless such as Draco, then three was a small army. A hand covered the blonde Echini’s face as she laughed quietly seeing one of the pups practically melt into Srina’s hand.

“I will play and love them as if they were my children.” The word hung on Spencer’s lips as a reminder of her inability to procreate. It was a painful reminder, but at least there was one child she was able to raise from birth to adulthood. The child oddly enough was her splitting image – but wasn’t biologically her’s. Shifting, she decided to fill that empty feeling with the Yorshies, and a hand cautiously moved over the nearest one and felt its soft fur. The others seemed to want the same attention and jumped over her hand and began to play.

Laugher echoed the room as Spencer now had both of her hands full playing with the active animals. “Oh my, best get them onto the ground.” Getting armfuls of the wiggling creatures, she carefully plopped each of them onto the ground and she looked down at them. “Names were always so difficult to come by.” Thinking quietly, she wanted to give them strong names, names of people she had known and loved in her lifetime. The woman stared at the pups, the female who examined her surroundings before jumping into the fray she smiled and sighed. “It’s funny when familiar faces return to your side – despite what for they take the soul never lies. The little girl will be called Ashin.” Kneeling down she scratched Ashin behind the ear, the yorshi would never know her name sake, but Spencer could see the dog’s mind at work calculating the other’s movements, just like the conquer of ten thousand worlds.

After a few belly rubs, she watched the other two play. One which seemed to be the alpha rolled about playing with his brother. A smile crossed her face seeing that the pup was pretty cheesy in his actions parading around about how amazing his skills were at puppy wrestling. “You are going to be named Jared.”

Jared Ovmar, Spencer’s most successful apprentice – the one that had stayed by her side the longest. There was an ache in her heart as she remembered the man, having to have watched him age the way he did and to lose him in the end broke the woman’s heart. A soft sigh and more playful pets she remembered fond times with the man, wondering how the afterlife was treating him.

Finally, the last, mindful and protective it seemed over his sister. It was an easy name to come up with as she scooped up the last and final puppy to be named. “His name is Que.” Happy belly rubs helped to fight off Spencer’s greatest pain. She watched her padawan die, the man was overly protective, and, in the end, he gave his life to save her. It was her first failure and Spencer had always held onto it. Her eyes closed as she tried to fight back the vision of seeing the padawan’s life end – holding him tightly as she continued to try and fight against time. Pushing back tears, she put Que down and patted him on his bottom so that he would bounce off to play with his siblings. Spencer choked down the emotions she felt surging around her as she watched them play over each other.

With everything back in check, she looked to Srina and nodded. “Thank you, they’re going to bring life to this place. It gets awfully quiet around here.” A smile and Spencer looked back towards the Yorshies and quietly watched them play. “Eshan is starting to come back to life – I can feel it; she’s recovering from the bloodshed and she couldn’t have done without you. I couldn’t have done this without you.”

“I don’t need to be a mind reader, but I can tell something is on your mind. It’s safe here, you don’t have to be an Exarch here, you don’t even need to be Srina Talon. Here, on Eshan – you’re whoever you wish to be.” Spencer hoped that the woman would understand where she was coming from. She didn’t need to hide behind the emotionless leader she had to convey to her people, to remain strong.

“Lean on me Srina. Rest and tell me what I can do for you.”

[member="Srina Talon"]

Srina watched happiness blossom in her Queen in relative silence. She didn’t hide it, and for that, the younger Echani was grateful. People...People were unstable. Unlike dense matter that was firm, solid, and made up of strong molecules, most people, were made up of air, water, earth and fire that always changed shape. It always kept moving. They couldn’t stop. Srina had long ago given up trying to catch up to them, trying to reach them, and so she let them go. She watched, from far away, as one who did not change. They became the things they liked. She remained the same.

In that regard she was content to observe. If she could not be happy, perhaps, basking in the joy of others could simulate the emotion well enough to get by. “Thank you. They will allow you nothing else…I promise you that.”, Srina responded honestly, from experience, because Draco would accept nothing less. Full attention. Full love. He returned it every time she landed on Ryloth. Whether it was five minutes apart, five days, or five months the little Yorshi was always just as excited to see her.

The process that Spencer went through to name her new pack was fascinating. Srina followed her eyes while the pups played all over one another, seemingly anxious, to belong. She recognized some of the names they were given in the vaguest sense. As if she had heard them once, on a breeze, but the vowels never solidified into words. A memory that wasn’t her own. A flare of nostalgia. An ache. A line of pain that drew itself fully across the surface of her heart. Again, not her own.

The question of who they were died on her lips when varying emotions pulled through Spencer. Srina could see it in her face. In her body language, and the way she held the small Yorshi, despite the fact that she had only just met them. They mattered now.

“Those are good names.”

Her voice was soft, though chilled, as it always was. Srina could not be accused of overwhelming kindness or instant empathy—but there were occasions where instinct led her down the correct path. The effervescent wave of sentiment seemed to disappear on its own. Just as quickly as it had arrived. Srina exhaled slowly and nodded her head when Spencer thanked her. “You are very welcome. I thought they might…”, she paused, while silvery eyes flickered, “Make you smile.”

It was either a few Yorshi or a Krayt dragon egg. The decision had been made very carefully, though truly, it hinged on the fact that she had no idea when the winged reptiles would hatch. She wanted her Queen to have something now, not, a decade later. They watched the pups play and Srina dug into her robes and pulled out a small pouch of dried bantha jerky. Treats. She handed it to Spencer while listening to her speak. Listening, as always. “Our world is stronger and more resilient than most give her credit for. You are very similar in that regard… But I am here. For her. For you.”

Srina might have said more but the words that followed from her Queen caused her chest to tighten against her will. It should have brought her relief. Knowledge, that she could be anything, anyone, and that Spencer would not think less of her for it. The notion of letting down her walls, of caving, and releasing the strength that kept her moving…It was overwhelming. “There are always things on my mind. Things I cannot repeat. Things, I cannot let go. Not for a second.”

The truth was—If she was not an Exarch, if she was not Srina Talon, she was nothing but what her anger had left behind. A hateful byproduct.

“I am not certain you would be able to like the person I would be without duty to bind me.”

Her gaze pulled away from the Yorshi and toward the scenery. The offer to rest…It was so tempting. She was so tired. So very, very exhausted. War never ended. Never. Even now she worried that the blockade they had around this territory would fail. She worried that her anger would get the best of her. That her eyes would burn, become gold, and never return to the silver of her people.

The Force moved. Not outward, but inward, a shifting phantom wave that was so grueling and dark that the very light seemed to fade. It was a darkness that had built on suffering, sacrifice, and blood. “Sometimes…I wish I had disobeyed my elders. I wish I’d never left. My sister, Valina, would till be alive if I had been here to protect her…”

“Every time I hear the call to war…I know it is the sound of death. It is what we bring. What I bring.”

Death, was what she was. Heralded by the sounds of millions of mechanical footsteps...Not hope. Not healing—Just death, disguised in the form of a pale-skinned woman. It was everything she had never wanted to be. Yet, here she was.

[member="Spencer Jacobs"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom