Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private To Seek Passage

Hard to even imagine him owning a ship. Unless it was stolen, maybe, but that would cause him more problems than the ship itself would ever be worth. "Something...unassuming, probably. Just be able to blend in. Failing that..." After all, it wasn't like it was impossible that some Sith or crime lord or whoever after him for any reason would be able to track even the most innocuous tramp freighter. Far more likely that they could than they couldn't, in fact.

"Either fast enough to get out of trouble or with cannons strong enough to blast out of it. Preferably the former, since that would be the more concealable solution."

Kalyn Shif

Kalyn Shif

K
"Sounds like you'd do well seeking a stealth fighter" she remarked with a wry smile. Not her style, if the bright paint job wasn't enough of an indicator of that, but to each their own. She'd started out with a starfighter herself, ole red. An A-Wing. The thought of it reminded her of Cassius Droma, a fellow dogfighter, and her heart momentarily twisted. How many had she lost contact with along the road? Those who had aided her in the days following her escape?
They were shadows of the past now, echoes lost to time, and in a Galaxy so vast it was hard to imagine she'd ever see their faces once more. Still, he'd been just as much a staunch A-Winger as she was.
Maybe it was time to bring Solitude back out of hiding, and use her to explore the Galaxy once more for a time. What she wouldn't give for the feeling of weightlessness again that such a fine vessel brought.
She realized she'd been staring off in thought, so she blinked and returned her gaze to Artur.
"Fast, though... Fast is good. Did you, uh, get enough to eat?" Pushing up from her seat, she took her now empty plate and dumped it in the sink before turning to pour herself more juice. She hovered the carton near Artur's glass too. "Refill?"

"A fighter sounds awfully cramped..."

Big guy, tiny ship. Add in hyperspace travel times and it would get uncomfortable very quickly, he imagined; no, he'd much rather have something a bit larger. A shuttle, at the least. Most freighters, while very inconspicuous, wouldn't be fast enough to get out quickly if something went wrong. A patrol craft, perhaps? That might work out well. Most modern ones were hyperdrive capable, unlike the much older variants. Relatively inconspicuous in a war-torn galaxy, and quite a few had the cargo space to double as freighters to earn some cash...

He glanced back up from his own thoughts as the captain realized she'd been stuck in a similar rut. "Certainly," he replied to her question about food, before she turned around with the carton of juice. Asking if he wanted more.

Should he actually accept? He might look greedy. Or like he was taking her admonishment the night before about actually having a choice the wrong way, too far. Was it a test? To see if he was figuring out how to navigate such social enco—

"Yes, thank you," he replied after swallowing his last bite of food.

Of course it wasn't some sort of test or trap, that was a ridiculous thought. Or, at least, ridiculous to apply to her. At least he had the excuse of food in his mouth to cover up the pause before he answered.

Kalyn Shif

Kalyn Shif

K
Cramped?
Kalyn chuckled. "Aye, I suppose that's one word for it ain't it?" Not that she'd ever minded, of course. Solitude had been her first glimpse of freedom after years of wrongful imprisonment, she'd take its cramped interior over a labour camp any day.
"I saw a lot of the Galaxy when that was my only option, tho'. Stoppin' to fuel, or to stretch my legs. Amazin' how many worlds there are to visit, how different they all are. Still, if that ain't your thing I can see it bein' nothin' more than an inconvenience."
So not a starfighter. "I still reckon stealth's key, if you're hopin' to remain undetected. Some yachts have been known to carry stealth drives, or shuttles and the like. Nothin' I have, mind, but mine tend to be ignored for other reasons... They look like heaps of trash."
Another laugh. "Ain't worth the time it'd take to attack. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find somethin' to your likin' in time."
She didn't even pause or seem to think over the time it took him to respond, and instead she refilled his glass with juice just as he agreed to more. As she made her way back to her seat, Kalyn plucked another orange from the counter and began to peel it.
"I got some scrap I need to run through the rigger, but it's a ruddy noisy thing. You ever used somethin' like it?" She gestured with her head toward the workstation she'd been working at the night before. "I can hold off if you find it's too loud. Or you can help, and maybe learn a thing or two in the process." A simple shrug accompanied her words.
Surely she could find something else to do if he really was opposed to having the noisy beast running. Sitting around idly as they drifted through space, though, wasn't her sort of thing.

Even with a stealth drive, a yacht seemed a bit much. Too conspicuous, it would look too rich and special. A shuttle, though, was right up the alley of what he'd already been considering. He nodded thoughtfully along, without much more to say in response. It would certainly behoove him to look for a ship of his own at some point, even if it was just a small fighter he'd have to figure out how to stick himself into. Just so long as said fighter had its own hyperdrive, rather than needing a full hyperdrive ring to get around.

That was just a fast track to getting stranded somewhere, or never actually exiting hyperspace. Neither was a fun thought to consider. As he sipped at his renewed glass of juice, however, the captain quickly changed topics, nodding over at her workstation. So, an autoscrapper was built into it? Interesting. "The noise won't bother me, I assure you," he said. It really wouldn't; between fighting on various worlds and the quarters he was given on certain ships, it would likely be quieter than much of what he'd dealt with before. "I'm...better at making things that need to be scrapped, though, than I am at making anything useful out of the scrap." Tinkering, mechanics, or even security and computer systems had never been in his wheelhouse, even though he had tried to learn at a few points.

Or been made to watch and nod along to explanations, as the case may be.

"If you need anything moved around and organized, or help cleaning, or any of that, I'm happy to take part. Otherwise, I'll be best off reading from a book and letting time go by." He thought for another moment, and shrugged. "I suppose if some desparate pirate crew decides they really want to try and board this ship I can help there, too, but that seems unlikely in the direction we're going."

That might have been a bit of an odd thing to comment on so off-handedly. Oops.

Kalyn Shif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom