Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private To Hell and Back

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Brak'Vrasz, the ancient Kar’zun looked up at the distant flicker of the anomaly.
“Already the knife bearers approach the vortex, but no more fortune will they have than any of the empty children. Only those with and without the curse can pierce the veil of the vortex.”
“What does that even mean?” Ashana growled.
The Kar’zun gave her a brief glance. “You are required. Come.”

The Harrowed immediately began to head off, leaving the offworlders to follow.
“Be ever watchful, we cannot blindly trust that these ‘Harrowed’ will aid us once our purpose is done,” Eyrecae commented.
“But what did he mean?” Tryana asked.
Yohara waved her hand dismissively. “I don’t know what knife bearers are. Some arcane twaddle. However the curse must refer to the Force. If they’re all Force Dead they must need some with the Force as well to pierce through. Easy enough. Come on, not far now. Eyrecae, if you would, the Resonator is not going to move itself.”

[member="Eyrecae Alzari"]

"Elves deferring to a maleling - and a Kar'zun at that," Kaida muttered to herself. "Mad times."
Of course, her remark could not go unheard. "My father was a great warrior. And Ariane the Butcher did the Kar'zun a great injustice," Siona countered. Her eyes followed the Sarixi wielding cultist. "I wish my sister in shadows had not stared so deeply into the abyss."
"Welcome to the brave new world, Angelii," Morwen threw in. "It's a whole new set of rules. Or rather no rules at all. No fate but what every Eldorai makes of it. No more collars forced on our necks by royals and clerics."
"No, just those of would-be saviours," Kaida said flatly. "But whatever makes you feel noble."

"Just lead me to the fight and don't get between me and my foes, or need me to pull you out of the fire" Ashana growled, and stalked off. Without a further word, the mixed crew of Forsaken and off-worlders followed in the wake of the Harrowed. Once again Tryana took point. She barely made any noise upon the broken ground. They passed through what had once been a market, but now only ruins and skeletons remained. Here and there, they came across large crystals. Indeed, they seemed to be popping up with increasing frequency.

Telara winced in what seemed like pain. "They're getting louder," she said quietly. "I can hear them in my head. It hurts. Like hot needles."
"Blot them out," Kaida ordered.
"The air is getting heavier," Tryana spoke. "The dark spirits conspire against us." Indeed, the air pressure had increased. It was getting more difficult to breathe. Moreover, an increasingly strong pressure bore down on them, making their movements more sluggish.
"Would you like some apples, Miss?" Hearing the voice, Kaida spun, only to face what looked like a street vendor. It was a young Eldorai woman who wore a modest dress and had long blonde hair. Indeed, an entire market stand seemed to have suddenly materialised out of nowhere. "They're fresh from the farm."
"No," the former Angelii grunted.
"Please, Miss. The girl looks hungry," the vendor pressed on, indicating Telara.
"You're just a ghost. Go."
"We had a good harvest," the vendor continued, as if she had not heard her. "Unfortunatelyy, these are the last apples that will ever be grown in the garden."
"Please, Mistress, do you have coin?" a little, painfully thin girl dressed in rags suddenly manifested next to Telara. Kaida's acolyte flinched, looking like she had seen a ghost. All around the party, the market seemed to come alive. Some of the Eldorai that had suddenly manifested ignored them, going about their business as if this was just another market day. Customers and vendors haggled, a child tried to steal some fruit and was pursued by a woman of the City Watch. Others closed in on the groupp. Bit by bit the party was being boxed in.
"This isnt real," Telara muttered.
"Please," the child beggar pressed her, taking her arm. The girl's touch was cold. "The Mistress kicked me out and the Church does not care for starving proles."
"You're dead. Get your hand off me," Telara snapped. She tried to force the girl's hand off her, but she was surprisingly firm in her grip. Indeed it felt like her arm was freezing.
"You were just like me," the girl's voice was almost accusing.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Eyrecae looked around as the shapes appeared. They seemed to be forming a cordon around them. Where once they had focused on their own ‘lives’ they increasingly turned to the party.
The Paragon found herself face-to-face with a spectral priestess.
“Goddess bless you, sister, you must be new here.”
Eyrecae smiled. “I am, yes. Of this village, tell me of it.”
“This is Narivala, we look over the city, and from here we can see the sun rise and set. The fields are prosperous, the people are content. All is under the munificence of Her Majesty. I am Deaconess Seleyar.”
“Of this I suspected. Tell me, daughter, who reigns in Santaissa?”
“Is this some strange joke?”
“Out of touch, I have been. Attending a hermit society I have been.”
“A hermit society?”
“Oh yes, we discuss caves and such,” Eyrecae said airily. “Now, who is the Queen?”
“Her Highness Tirathana of course.”
Eyrecae waited. “The…?”
“The sixth of her name…” the Priestess said, confused.
“Ah, of this I am glad. An era when your world was whole.” Eyrecae looked the spectre in the face and her smile dropped, her voice lowered. “Within not even a generation you will have four queens, your homeworld will be devastated, invaded by outsiders, lost in hell and left to only a few hundred survivors. And worst for you they shall treat each other as equals and no longer discriminate based on gender or race. Admittedly by necessity rather than epiphany.”
“What strange things you say…”
“No. You will listen. You know it is not right. Look around, Priestess Seleyar.”
“I do not…”
Look, Priestess.”
The shade seemed to frown and squinted. Her face turned horrified. “No…no. What have you done?!”
“Look at me, Seleyar. The illusion is powerful but it is time for you to rest. How did you die?”
“I am not dead. Whilst I carry my Lady’s faith there is no death.”
“That is a lie, Priestess. How did you die?”
“I will not…”
“How did you die?”
The spirit’s face turned anguished and then angry. “Why are you doing this?”
“Because you can help us. How?”
Seleyar turned away. “I stayed to help the people left behind. There was a great light, noise, wind. It…went dark. The temple collapsed. Are you happy now?”
“Not until you are at rest, but I cannot do that until we find the anomaly. Do you know it?”
Seleyar looked around. “I see the shadow. Can you not?”
“What do you see, Seleyar?”
“Darkness…and light. Only the union of both will open the cage.”
“As I suspected. Come with us, Priestess, and I will help you find rest.”
“What of my flock? I am bound to aid them even in death.”
“If I help you we will be helping them.”
“They…do not understand. They are…like I was…sad. They think of happier times so they do not see all that has happened.”
“Not just the dead. You have your Sciia, come with me. Tell your people to leave us in peace.”
“I will do what I can….”

XXX

Meanwhile the Harrowed were having none of it. Brak'Vrasz wandered straight through ghosts. “You see now why we were unsure if you were spirits. Oh, young Eldorai, do not let them touch you, they will eat your life,” he added helpfully, plodding onward. The ghosts buzzed around him, but did not affect or hinder him, same with the other Force Dead in the group.

Tryana meanwhile looked at Telera. “Let go of her!” she told the ghost. She wasn’t sure what she could do but she wanted to look out for her.

The ghosts formed a cordon around the living. Some tried to engage them in conversation about daily events, others offered their wares as if this were another day in town, others again reached out to them. All of them blocked them. As if under a mental compulsion not to let the living pass. "Honourable Angelii, hear my pleas," one Eldorai male pleaded, grabbing her by the shoulder. "My family suffers greatly under the rapaciousness of tithe collectors. The Matriarch Johaena Teatzel demands too much. She has falsified the word of the Goddess and is extorting us. My wife has been imprisoned. Our home has been stolen. Her Majesty must..."
"Do you question your betters, maleling?" a woman of the City Watch demanded gruffly. "The Matriarch has been appointed by Ashira's emissary. Control your tongue, or you will choke on it for spreading slander and heretical falsehoods.
"No, it is lies," the Eldorai male declared, looking a bit fearful. "The lady is a thief. She..." he did not get much further when the watchwoman smashed his face with a truncheon. She hit him with such force that blood dripped down his face.
"I don't have time for this crap," Kaida snapped angrily. "You're dead. Nothing I do here will matter." Calling upon the Force, she readied a blast of the Force to push the crowd away. "Telara?" However, as she looked for her student, the landscape suddenly seemed to shift before her eyes. Now she no longer saw the marketplace of ghosts.

Instead she saw a beach, and two young Eldorai girls practicing with wooden swords. One was a couple years older and had a mane red hair. The other was younger, a bit taller and had hair as dark as the night. Back and forth they clashed, broke apart and clashed again. At one point the younger girl managed to land a stroke on the redhead's leg. "I hit you!" she declared triumphantly. However, her exaltation was short-lived when an invisible force suddenly gripped her leg and she tripped.
"That was cheating!" she protested indigantly, rolling quickly to avoid an overhead blow.
"I have no idea what you are talking about, Kaida," her sister responded haughtily. "Do try to be less clumsy."
"I'll show you clumsy," Kaida retorted, blocking a strike with her blade before leaping to a feet and rushing Lavina, unleashing a flurry of strikes.
Back and forth they went. Eventually the redhead managed to knock Kaida's blade out of her hand. "Do you yield, sister?" she asked a bit smugly.
"Never," the other one countered, giving the sword that was being held towards her throat a hard kick. Then she rushed her. The older Eldorai seemed to have been caught off-guard by his manoeuvre and stumbled a bit. She managed to tackle her and the two fell. However, soon Lavina had overpowered her and held her in a chokehold.
"Do you yield now?"
"No."
"You're a glutton for punishment." The hold loosened slightly. "But I know the way to make you relent." And suddenly Lavina started...tickling her. She was such a cheat.
"Fine, fine," Kaida declared.
Lavina released her and got up. "There, that wasn't so hard."
"I'll beat you one day," her younger sister insisted.
"Sure, little sister. But next time I'm home, I'll be carrying a Sarix."
"Maybe I'll have one, too!"
"The two of us together? Beating up monkeigh pirates and taking names."
"Protecting Kaeshana," Kaida added. She frowned slightly. It was probably just a dream. "If you get picked by the Angelii, you'll visit regularly, right?"
Lavina looked her right in the eye. Reaching out, she brushed some stray hairs from her face. "Of course I will, little sister. Nothing could ever separate us."
"Good. I'm holding you to that. And one day I'll be an Angelii, too."
"And I'll have to rescue you all the time?" Lavina asked cheekily. Kaida pounced her.

For a moment she was transfixed. It was just an illusion. A trick of the mind. The Nether was playing tricks on her. The real Kaida struggled to free her mind and break out. That life of hers was as dead as the town she and Lavina had grown up in. Likewise, Lavina was gone. She had been replaced by a feral berserker who did not recognise her. Dozens of hand seemed to reach her, trying to drag her down into the bottomless pit. Angrily, she pushed against the illusion that tried to ensnare her mind. No one would imprison her. No one. And no one would try to use her sister against her. Then she felt a strong pressure in the back of her skull.

xxx

"Let go her of her!" Tryana called out to the spirit. The ghost was unusually strong. And her touch was bitter cold. Telara felt as if her life force was being drained. Her arm would not move. With her free hand, she tried to grab her dagger. But she struggled to breathe. She tried to speak, but her tongue was paralysed. Not a word left it.
"Why should I?" the apparition of the child shrieked. "She belongs here with us."
"Trapping her here with you will not undo what happened. Nor will it free you," Tryana countered, stepping closer. The energies of the Force were gathered inside her body, but she did not unleash them...yet. Instead she sought to wrap a shield around Telara to hold the draining at bay.
"And what do you want to do?" the apparition snapped. "Kill me? I'm already dead. Trapped in this hell. Where everyone has gone so mad they play make believe."
"No...no, give you peace," Tryana said determinedly, her voice never wavering.
"Look around you! There's no peace here! Just this...dance. This dance that never ends," the girl yelled.
"And trapping us will only add to it. We can banish the shadow. We can give you peace."
For a moment the apparition seemed to waver. "No. You'll all stay with us. I'll make you see."
Tryana felt a strong sense of vertigo. Her head was spinning. Something powerful and malicious was drilling its way into her mind. And then she saw. She saw death, destruction and suffering. Beheld an epic vortex devour the village. She beheld anguish beyond imagination. Before her eyes the girl was ripped apart. Her body was destroyed, her mind shattered, and her spirit trapped.
The Vash staggered and grit her teeth. "I'm sorry," she said quietly, then swung her tomahawk. It glowed with the power of the Force. The spirit shrieked when it struck her shoulder. Telara was released from her grip and fell to the ground. Now the Eldorai and the Vash saw the spirit as she really was. Horrible burns covered her skin and blood dripped out of her eyes. A horified expression crossed Telara's face. Her hand trembled as she gripped the knife, and plunged it into the spirit.

xxxx

The spirits had closed in. Morwen found herself surrounded. But she did not see them the ways the others did. Where others saw smiling, pleading or hate-filled faces, she saw past the masks. In their place, she saw horribly mutilated, burnt and maimed Eldorai. Most had suffered horrible burns. A great many were missing limbs. Some were so horribly burnt that they were barely recognisable as elves. Many were emaciated. They were living skeletons. Some were no more than children.

The Illyrian shuddered. She forced herself not to flinch. This was what the apocalypse had wrought. You'll all be avenged. There'll be justice for you, she swore. How would she accomplish this? She had no idea, but she would. But she could not remain trapped here. Hundreds of voices seemed to speak in unison. Here, merchants offered their wares, there a woman of the City Watch wanted to see her papers, here a priestess tried to get her to donate to her false goddess.

She pitied them. Their deaths must have meaning. She tried to push them away, but more and more hands reached for her. Their voices resonated in her head, merging into a cacophony of madness. Kaida seemed to be fighting against her own demons, Telara and the Vash were fending off a spirit. Her own group was trying to push its way, but for every spirit that was dissipated by ion or Force Imbued weapons, two took its place. She was drowning. Then Yohara flipped a switch on her machine and a powerful wave of energy swept across the market. Siona followed in its wake, firing an ion blaster. More fire came from the Harrowed.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
“Now that is done, we can dispense with the histrionics and proceed, please,” Yohara said with a sniff. She smiled a little smugly.
Eyrecae however had shielded her chosen spirit. “Leave this one, she is with me,” she added, just in case anyone decided to get stab happy.

Ashana had not said anything or moved. She was staring at Kaida. An eye twitched.
“You! Ashana. Since my heroic porter is cavorting with ghosts, can you assist me?” Yohara asked.
Ashana finally moved, glancing at Yohara. Wordlessly, without expression, she hauled the trolley along. Yohara didn’t feel like pushing her luck and asking her to be careful.

Tryana knelt down by Telera. “Are you alright?” she asked softly. “They’re gone for now, we need to get moving.”

The Harrowed continued their climb to the top of a ridge. There the Illyrian looked back at them.
“Come, the blood barrier awaits. Behold, for we are not alone.”

There was already a small group before the barrier, a military like encampment manned by cloaked and armed Force Dead Eldorai. Several of them were, though the distance made it hard to be sure, involved in a lively discussion attempting to test the anomaly.

As for the anomaly itself, it seemed to be a curtain of red, a dome of crimson surrounding a darkened void. It did not look inviting.

The wave of energy unleashed by the activation of the Resonator was tremendous. Spirits let out an agonised wail, like the cry of a banshee. Morwen's ears hurt. Indeed, blood seeped out of them and she dropped to one knee. But then the voices were silenced, and the visions dissipated. She breathed in deeply. Many spirits had vanished. The rest gave the group a wide berth. "We must make haste, little elf," Mrak’vhar spoke as the large Kar'zun approached her.
Morwen coughed. "I'm fine by the way," she said a bit caustically.
"You look like hell," the Kar'zun remarked, but then helped her stand when she was a bit wobbly on her legs.
"I don't need help," she grunted. "I saw them, Mrak’vhar," she added quietly. "How they really looked when they died. They're dead, and still suffering."
"This world is a place of suffering. If we linger, we shall join them."
"We won't," Morwen swore. "But we'll set them free, if it's the last thing we do."

Telara coughed. There were no fresh injuries on her body. Nothing that indicated the spirit had done her any harm. Physically she was fine. There was a haunted expression on her face. She looked like she had stared death in the eye. The face of the mad spirit lingered before her eyes. Just a frightened, emaciated child that had never hada chance. That accusing face stared back at her. Why do you get to live, and I don't? You were just like me. What makes you better? It seemed to say. "No," Telara said quietly. "I was wrong." Her voice was barely above a whisper when the three wors left her lips. "Let's go."

Kaida had regained her wits. She looked over the party, checking to see that everyone was still in one piece and had not been carried off or possessed by spirits. Thankfully, that was the case. "Need a hand, Angelii?" a voice suddenly spoke as Siona appeared at her side. "Thanks but no thanks for clearing your head, by the way."
The ice lady did not look at her. "Get moving," she grunted. She could see Telara looked troubled, but she could not and would not halt. A dome of scarlet loomed before them. It resembled a curtain, covering a void of blackness. With each step they took towards it, the curtain seemed to grow larger, as if it were expanding. Just looking at it was enough to cause a headache. Everyone would feel a painful throbbing in the back of their head. Some members of the party might feel nauseous. Even the Force Dead were not immune to it. Lightning exploded in the sky.

As the party approached the anomaly and the encampment that had been set up around it, they could hear voices. Various 'knife-bearers' were engaged in a rather animated discussion. However, before they could hear much of it, various figures suddenly appeared in their midst, as if they had manifested from thin air. They were all Force Dead, were armed and wore concealing, stealthy armour of some sort. "Who stands in the dark with us?" one of them demanded. Their voice was modulated by their mask's speaker, giving it a mechanical tone and leaving their gender ambiguous.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]

Eyrecae found a hooded and masked figure suddenly before her. She tilted her head to the side.
“A sister of the shadows who sees the truth.”
There was silence. She could feel Morwen’s eyes and that of the Harrowed on her.
“What? Is it not for me to know?”
“Who are these persons, Morwen? Have you brought offworlders here to destroy us?”
“More paranoid than usual, Raekana?”
There was a hiss of escaping breath. “Your lack of caution and free tongue shows your lack of wit.” Raekana looked up at Brak'Vrasz. “And you should know better than to trust an Angelii.”
“The Angelii are not angels descendant, but oppressors ascendant,” the Kar’zun said airily. “These are Knights of Shadow. I see that the answer to your problem, knife-bearer, is here with them.”
“Machines and sorcery. We need not that. We are close to breaking through.”
“Might I not interject?” Eyrecae asked, raising a hand like a schoolchild. “’Twere you even to gain access to the anomaly and end this most wretched of conditions, how might you leave Kaeshana? Might we not work together?”
Raekana looked around a bit irritably. “We’re still working on that.”
Eyrecae laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. Instantly the helmeted head turned to face the offending hand. “Consider it worked on and complete…Raekana! The anomaly is our enemy, not each other. Should it not be for us to overcome this most united of foes than to scrabble amongst ourselves?”
“Remove your hand,” Raekana hissed, stepping back. “The barrier is impassable,” she declared.

Doubtless Yohara and Kaida would disagree with this appraisal of the situation.

"Impassable for those without the necessary clarify, perhaps," Yohara said haughtily. Or, as she would have put it, confidently and knowingly. She was not arrogant. Other beings just called her that because they had no good arguments and were jealous of her intellect. "And while we are standing here, the vortex is growing. So perhaps you should let me work and keep us from being destroyed by it."
"Mind your tongue, soft little exodite," Raekana hissed. "You may choke it.'"
"You won't threaten my crew," Kaida said icily. "Do you want to leave or not? I'll be accessing the barrier, regardless."
"Don't pull is into your quarrel," Eliyen responded to her warningly. "We just want off this damn rock."

"Don't test me, Angelii." Raekana's voice was low, but just as icy. She looked around and settled on one individual in the party. "Siona." There was a spark of recognition in her eyes. "You still bear the mark of the Deliverer," she said to Siona. "Why do you walk with these here? Have the Harbingers forsaken her? Or what auspices do you bring me?"
"I bring you word that it is time for her children to be reunited," Siona said softly, stepping forward. "Would you not give your followers a chance?"
"Who wields the Deliverer's sword?"
"The Fatebringer."
"So he yet lives."
"Aye. So does the Hierophant. They stand as one of the Court. But we reave souls in Her name."
"So you say. You would work with outsiders and Angelii?" There was a note of challenge in voice.
Siona paused. "The Deliverer has many tools. Even those who don't realise it. In the end, we are all judged by her. If the faithless played us false, I'd rip their hearts out myself and offer myself to the Void Stalkers for my foolishness," Siona declared fiercely. She took another step forward. "It's a sign from her. We're not meant to rejoin her yet. This isn't the realm she meant for us."
"No, it isn't," Raekana said quietly. She looked at the others. "What information do you have on the barrier? Speak swiftly, do not waste my time, and dare not play me false."
"Doctor," Kaida said flatly, indicating Yohara. "Stick to the facts," she added, just in case the scientist felt like giving a speech.
Telara watched the scarlet curtain-encased void with no small amount of trepidation, as much as she tried to hide it. "It's not just expanding," she muttered, straining her Force Senses as she reached out. It hurt to even try, but she did. "It's hungry." She looked at Tylania, as realisation dawned on her. "Like the crystals. It hungers for us."

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Yohara gave a long suffering sigh at the insinuation that she wouldn’t include the facts. She would provide so many facts that it drowned them all.

“I shall be brief since time is, as they say, of the essence.” Of course, brief meant very different things to say Kaida and Yohara!
“The barrier is a protection created as a result of the anomaly. You are aware of the theory of matter and anti-matter I take it? Good, basically the two cannot meet without causing an explosive annihilation. In order to keep the two separate a magnetic field is required. A similar situation has developed here, though more complex. The heart of the anomaly is a pure piece of nether energy, something which should not exist inside the realspace of the galaxy. Therefore, the Force, or the ‘spirits’ as the more traditional of my kindred call it, formed a barrier over it. Of course, this in turn has caused an opposing barrier of Force null, as you…individuals…are. Therefore, we have a barrier composed of 3 layers, and therefore we shall require the three opposites to penetrate through. The reason why your…spirited…efforts have come to nothing. We require a Force sensitive individual to penetrate the first layer…using the resonator once inside. From there we shall require others to continue the chain. I do not doubt that this process may be quite dangerous, but required.”

She looked around the group like a teacher hoping but not expecting her charges had gained from her wisdom.
“A Force sensitive person?” Tryana said. She took a deep breath. “In this perilous position I volunteer,” she said, trying to look braver than she felt.

In Kaida's view, Yohara's explanation was awfully long-winded. The scientist would benefit from learning the meaning of the word brevity. However, she got the gist of it. Raekana bristled at the implication that her people's efforts had been inadequate, but said nothing. Kaida's face was a stony mask. Her eyes fell on Tryana. The girl was brave. Or trying to be. She was youngn and had heart. But Kaida would not let her potentially sacrifice herself. Her life had only just begun. And an officer who was worth anything did not hide behind subordinates in the face of danger. Especially not a former Angelii. "Request denied, she said bluntly.
"To hell with this, I'll do it. I've been to the underworld once. I don't fear it," Ashana declared fiercely, daring anyone to gainsay her.
Predictably, Kaida did. "No."
"You don't even give me orders, Angelii," the feral Eldorai growled angrily. "I'm not your..."
"You're not a Mistress. You don't know what going in there will do to you." Kaida cut her off brusquely. She had already lost her sister once. And it was her duty. Her voice brooked no contradiction. "I'll go." Her eyes turned to the Force Dead members of the crew. "Pick someone on your end. I don't care who. Just someone who'll get it done." She looked at Eyrecae. "You'll go after us."

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
Tryana was relieved and did a poor job of showing just how relieved she was. “Right…if I can help…” she said. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to help, but the whole thing was rather overwhelming to her.

In contrast Eyrecae simply nodded. She was the only choice in her mind anyway, and more importantly was the one most likely to survive.

The Harrowed had a brief discussion, ended when old Brak'Vrasz stood up and said. “This is my task. I have been alive long enough to know that my time is ending soon. And if it helps my comrades leave, so be it.”
Raekana seemed about to protest, but then stopped, nodded.

Of all the people present, only Ashana seemed upset by the choice of persons, but relented when Siona put a hand on her shoulder.
“Let her do it, and if she fails you can go.”

Yohara meanwhile approached Kaida. “Right, well, your gallant service will be remembered etc. etc. More practically, get fully through the first interface with the Resonator and hit this button here. Don’t touch that one…or that one…actually don’t touch anything else. Also, restrain yourself from using the Force if possible, it might interact catastrophically.”

Eyrecae found herself beside Brak'Vrasz. “I wonder why there was no Kar’zun champion?” he asked conversationally.
Eyrecae frowned, head on the side. “When?”
“At the beginning.”
A slight smile. “There was.”
He stared at her, and then nodded. “The visions did not show me him.”
“Her. It was…different. When we are away from here I can explain more perhaps.”
“Yes. For now, we watch the sister of ice make her approach.”

Morwen's reaction was straightforward. "Don't screw up." Glancing towards her people, she signalled them. "Alright, Hellbreakers, stay sharp. Don't let the guard. We don't know what hell might throw at us once we knock at its gate, but we'll kill it."
Meanwhile the other two Harrowed leaders wished Brak'Vrasz well on his quest. "The circle is coming together. All is as it should be now," Macrina declared.
"Yeah, whatever," Eliyen grunted, before patting the elderly Kar'zun on the shoulder. "Anyway, thanks," she said a bit awkwardly, but still grateful. "We'll find you some gold when you're back."

Meanwhile, Kaida had taken ahold of the trolley. The Resonator was very heavy. No wonder Eyrecae and Ashana had been pushing it, but she could manage. However, when she was about to move, Telara suddenly approached her. "Hey," the girl said, fidgeting a bit.
"Don't get sentimental, soldier," Kaida responded.
"I wasn't," a look of annoyance crossed Telara's features. "Just come back in one piece, ma'am. I already had to bury one ex-Angelii teacher, y'know. If I have to look for a third one everyone will think I'm cursed or something."
Kaida felt irritated. Who was she to make promises? Telara was a smart girl, she knew better than to ask for nonsense like this. They were soldiers. Death could come at any time. Something in the girl's earnest look kept her from saying something scatological. "I'm aware. I will," she said gruffly. Then she pushed the trolley towards the anomaly.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
As Kaida approached the veil she would see it start to part before her somewhat. Kaeshana’s ruined landscape would fade around her, and she would witness only the oncoming red curtain. Where the Force dead had been stopped by a solid wall she would find a pathway opening…and then closing behind her.

Suddenly, Kaida was no longer in the blasted and shadowed hellscape of Kaeshana, but to a different time, a simpler time.

Her sister, Lavina Taldir, still wearing her Angelii armour, almost fell into her arms. The waves crashed on the beach. In the distance a party of armed Eldorai were giving chase, clearly not happy.

"Kaida...I'm sorry for getting you into this. I'm sorry...no, I'm not sorry. I'm glad you're here. We need to leave here...they won't see the truth. We need...they won't..."

The sound of a ship overhead. Standing on the ramp was Siobhan Kerrigan, then not a redhead.

Playing out like a theatre, Kaida’s younger self replied.

"Good...because if you say you're sorry one more time I'll have to slap you," she said, her voice choked with emotion. "So don't you bloody apologise. We're in this together...we will see the stars."

Siobhan was calling, finally shaking the sisters from their daze.

“Are you ready, Kaida?”

Why this memory had surfaced, none could tell. Perhaps it was something important to Kaida, perhaps it was something in Lavina…Ashana…which was pushing against the walls of subconscious.

Either way, if she activated the Resonator the machine would flare brightly, and the power start to spiral in, like a vortex, with Kaida at the centre.

Someone had been watching Kaida’s progress, and had seen the vision too. Ashana just stared at the void as the vision came to completion. She shook her head, hands grasping her head. Old certainties were crumbling, replaced by even older memories. Was this a trick, or was this real? She couldn’t tell.

What she could tell was Kaida was under strain, suffering as even her immense Force powers strove to took the strain. With a deep breath Ashana…Lavina…marched forward.

“What are you doing?” Siona asked, grabbing her arm.
“I have to help her…like she once did to me.”
Into the maelstrom she marched, determined to help the woman she now was starting to recognise indeed as her sister….

When the power cleared those watching could only hope the two had survived.

The vision was of a more innocent time. Back when Kaida had not been such an ice lady. It seemed from another life time. Maybe even from another woman. After so many battles, setbacks and disappointments, Kaida had buried herself in duty. It was what she had to be. When everyone betrays...someone has to remain loyal. It was also her solace. Family gone, sister lost and probably dead. Duty was what she had left. She would do her duty, even if she was surrounded by vipers, fools and cravens.

The memory flashed before her eyes. Lavina, before she had been lost to her. Kerrigan, before luxury and lust for power had overcome her. Herself, still innocent and unaware of how harsh the Galaxy was. But devoted. Kaida did not quite know why the memory had surfaced. She suspected a trap, but no Nether creature came. Her sister had not perished as she had feared. Lavina might never recognise her. She might always stay this feral creature. But she was alive. Kaida could live with that.

She pushed on. Each step seemed arduous, and not just because of the weight of the Resonator. Her limbs had grown inconceivably heavy, as if a great weight was bearing down on her. It was a struggle to move. She felt like she had aged a century. She pushed on, and pressed the activation button of the Resonator. The machine flared brightly. The light emanating from it was so bright that she raised a hand to shield her eyes, for even her helmet seemed to offer no protection. It pained her eyes. The explosion of power was potent enough to bring her to the knees. Power coalesced around her, akin to a vortex. She was caught inside the maelstrom. Agonising pain surged through her body. It was like being burnt alive and freezing at the same time. The void seized her in its embrace and would not release her. Her limbs would not obey her, her Sciia was deaf to her commands.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
“I’ll always be there for you, Kai, no matter what. One day, we’ll see the stars.”

As Ashana forced her way forward she could see Kaida transfixed by the power bearing down on her. That power now spiralled and eddied across to her as well. The pain was agonising, but Ashana knew pain well, and fought through it. Struggling, whilst Kaida took the brunt of the storm, she managed at last to stumble forward and reach out a hand to touch her.

A different day. An even younger Kaida looked uncomfortable in her grey Angelii Istrai armour. Lavina in the red of a Wing Leader was inspecting, fussing even, over every little piece and bit.
“You’re looking good, Kai. I just want you to know I’m proud of you, and I know mum and dad would be too. I’m here for you if anything happens, remember that. We Taldirs don’t give up.”

Like forcing herself through treacle, Ashana’s hand neared and finally hit home, grasping Kaida’s shoulder.
With a final wail of ethereal power and a blast which knocked both of them flat, the first layer of the anomaly vanished.

Ashana has fallen to the ground, stunned, senseless. However, it was Lavina who opened her eyes and got slowly and painfully onto her side. It all came back to her now, the memories, what had happened to her, the fact she had forgotten who even her own sister was.

Now though there was something else wrong. As she reached for it, her Sciia retreated. The blast had cleared the mental block which had taken her memories…at the price of the powers which had once set her apart from the rest of her people.

"So after everything...you're going back to them? They called us traitors for using our heads. They lied to us, to all Eldorai!" Lavina thundered.
Kaida was placid. Outward appearances masked her turmoil. "They did," she said. "And Kaeshana's still our home. We have a duty to defend it. Change can come...but we have to work for it. Nothing will change for the better if everyone who's able to fight for it goes off into the stars. Anya..."
"Oh, so it's Anya, now?" Lavina interrupted her. "It's the same system, just with different players and now with the humans on top. You can't change it from within. It'll fight back and ruin you."
"And what is the alternative? Forcing change by throwing bombs at my own people? Or forgetting them about entirely and leaving them to their fate? I swore an oath. It's my duty. "
"And what about us? Mum is gone, dad is gone. It's us against the Galaxy. We wanted to see the stars. Us fighting evil, saving people. Taldir sisters together."
"We still can," Kaida insisted, taking Lavina's arm. "You could join me. They'd give you a command, you know. You'd be running the Valora's Chosen in due time. It'll be like in OP...except we'd be fighting for our people and helping them escape the darkness they've been trapped in for so long."
"You're naive.
"Sis," Kaida took a deep breath. "Just...give it a chance."
There was a flicker of emotion across Lavina's face. She looked deeply conflicted, but then resolved. She shook her head. "No, I'm not going back to them."
Kaida's face fell. "I see." she said quietly, looking upset. She took a breath. Her features hardened. "I shall stay. Someone who knows the truth has to." Her tone was not free of bitterness. "I love you...but I cannot break my oath. May the Force be with you, sister."

She was in the midst of the vortex. Power spilled out of it. She felt pure anguish...but she could take it. In a way, she felt strangely at peace. She had many regrets, but she had done her duty. Dying in a warp storm had not been the way she'd imagined her story to end, but at least she'd go down the way she'd tried to live - doing her duty. And safe in the knowledge that her sister was alive. Then suddenly a strong hand gripped her tight and raised her from the void. A powerful blast struck both of them. Kaida hit the ground hard. Her head hurt. She saw a familiar figure lying next to her. "Lavina?"

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
“Lavina?”

The word made her frown, open her eyes and look across at the other Eldorai. At her sister.

“Kaida…I…I’m so sorry.” Her head hurt, like a thousand red-hot needles stabbing right into her brain. Was she Lavina, or was she Ashana? Was she both? Or neither?

Painfully she rolled onto her side. Her attempts to get up to her knees ended up with her in the dust again. She managed to crawl a few feet towards her sister and take her hand.

“I…see you now. My head’s all twisted up. I’m going to need some time to think.”

Heavy footfalls nearby interrupted them. “Now is not the time for sleeping, sisters. Mind your head.”
With one hand the Kar’zun effortlessly picked up the Resonator and lifted it over their prone forms, trudging up the hill to the wall of the second curtain.

Meanwhile Tryana and Telera came forward cautiously to help assist the two former Angelii. Siona was there too, shooing away the Vash so she could help Ashana/Lavina up.

The Kar'zun passed them, heading up the hill towards the second layer. His two lieutenants and Raekana were also advancing warily. Kaida paid them little mind. Her head hurt and her limbs felt like jelly. It did not matter. She gave Ashana...Lavina the briefest, thinnest of smiles. It was a genuine one though. "I've...I've missed you, sister." For a moment the ice cracked.
"Is she...smiling?" Tryana exclaimed. "I did not think she could do that."
Kaida's eyes shot up and she glared at her icily. If looks could freeze, the Vash Ranger would be an ice statue now. "Return to your positions. I do not require assistance."
"And there's the ice lady we all know. I was afraid for a moment," Telara muttered sarcastically. However, then her Senses prickled. "Your Sciia...it's gone."
"I'm aware. I'm still in command," the ex-Angelii growled.

Siona had, characteristically ignored her. The 'former' royalist was not her concern. Her sole focus was on Ashana. "Hey, let me help you up. What happened?" There was something about Ashana that was...different. However, she caught the tail-end of the chat between Kaida and her minions. The Angelii no longer had her Sciia. Did this mean Ashana had been freed to? "'Favoured are those who do not hear the spirits,'" she quoted quietly.

[member="Kaida Taldir"]
For a moment Lavina saw the sister she remembered before all this had happened. Before the Jedi had opened their eyes, before Kaeshana’s bubble had been shattered, before Netherworld.
She smiled, a genuine expression for the first time in a long time. “I’ve missed you too.”

And then of course the moment had to be broken. The ice covered blast door slammed shut behind Kaida’s eyes. Much had changed…for both of them. Lavina was no longer that slightly pompous, naïve girl before the revelation, nor the aimless rebel after it. However, she was not Ashana now either, she was a mix of them all. She still felt the anger, the loss, the burning fire in her…though it was no longer literal.

She looked to Siona, looked at her with different eyes. There were things she could not remember still. She remembered before Netherworld, she remembered afterwards, but what had happened there she did not know.

“Thank you…my head hurts. I…remember things. Before hell.” Impulsively she hugged Siona, something the other Eldorai probably did not expect. “Thank you. Let’s…get down the hill…” She was leaning heavily on her friend as she stumbled down the hill.

A lot had changed. For both of them. Young Kaida had been sweet and brave, but also naive. The revelations and being thrust into an unfamiliar Galaxy had made her uncertain of her place. Then the many battles, betrayals and losses had turned her to ice. Until being a glacier became her natural state of being.

She saw how Ashana, no Lavina, looked at Siona, and then suddenly hugged her. For a moment she felt a stab of jealousy. She violently clamped down on it. "Yes," she said flatly and got up. She stood slowly, painfully. Tryana was quickly at her side, offering help, but Kaida waved her away. "Keep your eyes open," she ordered. Telara just shook her head and muttered something beneath her breath.

Siona was, meanwhile, taken aback when Ashana suddenly pulled her into a tight embrace. After a moment she returned it and patted the other Eldorai on the back. Fortunately, her claws had been retracted, otherwise this might have been awkward. "I see. I am glad your memories have returned. I knew they would come back to you at the right moment."

While the party was making its way down the hill, some of the Forsaken were approaching. Raekana was one of them. "I see Lady Death has accepted your offering," she commented. Her mask and modulated voice made it ambiguous as to whether she was disappointed by the Sciians' survival or not. She motioned to some of her followers. "The Elder One is clearing a path, and neither spirit nor beast shall stop us. Keep an eye out for items touched by the void."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom