Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Reply To Find Sight Beyond Sight

wb1.png
TAGS:
@OPEN
alexboarder.png

Deep within the crags of Lothal, hidden from the watchful eyes of any passersby, a secluded cavern awaits. This isn't just any cave; it's a fortress of solitude that Braze himself has molded into an intense obstacle course. He spent a good bit of time setting up precarious ledges, suspended ropes, and reactive droids for target practice. Each element is designed to test the limits of strength, agility, and focus—a trifecta Braze seeks to master.

It's an arena of his own making, but not without its ghosts. The last time he trained here, Braze pushed himself past the limits of human endurance. Exhausted and unable to make it back, he'd needed assistance from Gweneth Zarari Gweneth Zarari . But today is different; today he's prepared. Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el , his master, is aware of his whereabouts, and a fully charged communicator sits snugly in his pocket.

Braze stands at the entrance of this perilous playground holding a black satin sash. The sash may seem at odds with this rugged setting, but it serves a crucial purpose. With deliberate movements, he ties it over his eyes, plunging his world into darkness. For Braze, the time has come to take his training to an entirely new, potentially perilous level. But even in this abyss, there are hints of perception—soft, muted outlines of objects begin to form as if visualized by some other sense. These are the shapes and auras only visible through the Force.

It's a challenge like never before: he plans to navigate it blindfolded. Sure, he's fought with a blindfold against training droids and even sparred with some of his peers, ( Ko Vuto Ko Vuto ) but maneuvering through an intricate physical course is a different ballgame. His aim is clear—to heighten his reliance on the Force by curtailing one of his most dominant senses.

Then, he begins.
Taking a meditative breath to center himself, he ignites his lightsaber—the hum of the blade filling the cavern with a ghostly resonance.

His first steps are cautious, each footfall testing the ground as if walking on thin ice. When he reaches the rock ledge that starts the obstacle course, he hesitates. His trepidation proves warranted as he misjudges the first step, his foot slipping off the ledge. Grasping wildly, his fingers catch a hanging rope, halting his fall but jarring his arm in the process.

Next, the droids come to life, their blasters aimed and ready. The bolts whiz through the air, and although he manages to deflect a few, the timing and precision that normally come naturally are now frustratingly elusive. The bolts he fails to intercept singe the edges of his attire and leave him with a newfound respect for his sense of sight.

Gritting his teeth, he approaches the wall adorned with protrusions intended for climbing. Lifting himself onto the first few handholds seems promising, but just as he's getting into a rhythm, his grip slips. For a moment, he feels weightless before the thud of his body hitting the protective mats reverberates through the cavern. The mats, while saving him from injury, offer no solace for his bruised ego.

Exhausted, mentally and physically, Braze reaches up and unties the sash, the sudden return of light both relieving and disorienting:

"This is going to be much harder than I thought."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"Yeah, it's difficult."

It wasn't often Iris actually went anywhere these days. Coruscant had her apartment. Denon had her work, which honestly meant she was there more often than not. But she was still a Jedi, and more importantly, she was still friends with people. Hiding away on Denon to cut contact with everyone wasn't what she wanted to do. She'd already had someone else do the same thing. So, when Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el reached out, she didn't hesitate to agree.

The heavily scarred up Jedi sat near the entrance of the cave, her oddly colored eyes scanning around everywhere. Watching the flow of the Force, the colors. Mostly around Braze, and yet, she never truly looked towards him. Always around, as if she saw something hovering just above his skin.

She did. His intentions, emotions. All of them affected the flow of the Force, her world of constant colors.

"Sights pretty important."

Braze Braze

wb1.png

TAGS:
Iris Arani Iris Arani
alexboarder.png

Braze deactivated his training saber with a click, its low hum dissipating into the cavern's ambient silence. As he navigated around the complex array of "safety" equipment—ropes, nets, and padding—that he had recently installed, he had a momentary tangle with a net. After a brief struggle, he freed himself. It was clear he had taken a more measured approach to training; a newfound moderation had replaced his prior recklessness. Breaking oneself in pursuit of progress was no longer an acceptable option.

Only then did he notice he wasn't alone. His eyes narrowed inquisitively, locking onto the gaze of the stranger. Her eyes intrigued him; they held an unusual characteristic that he couldn't quite place. Carefully, he attached his saber to his belt and turned fully toward her. She didn't seem to emanate malice or ill intent.

"Sight does have its merits in helping us navigate the world," he said, brushing dust from his clothing with his palms. "I apologize for not noticing you sooner. If I had, I would have introduced myself immediately." Memories of a previous awkward introduction flitted through his mind, reminding him of the importance of first impressions. "I'm Braze," he added, taking a few steps closer to better observe her. This was perhaps the first time in history where Braze remembered his manners and introduced himself.

"Have you done something like this before?" he asked, his tone tinged with curiosity.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"You wouldn't have."

Iris shrugged nonchalantly as she stated what she believed was a fact. From what she was told, Braze was trying to learn how to see without his eyes. Which meant it was a perfect chance for her to just test and see if he could see her in turn. Blending into the colors of the Force was easy. She looked up towards the equipment. It was quite the elaborate set up for what amounted to just needed to close his eyes.

"All my life, technically. It's why I'm here. Your master asked for a favor."

Braze Braze

wb1.png

alexboarder.png

Braze processed Jasper's request for a favor, mulling over the possibility that he himself might be involved in it somehow.

"Oh," he responded, a beat later than he might have liked. Her condition spanned her entire life? He considered the forms that blindness could take; it was often partial rather than absolute, presenting different obstacles for each individual.

"That's quite generous of you to do a favor for Master Kai'el," he said, his tone appreciative.

He paused before venturing his next question, choosing his words carefully. "Is it easier for you to 'see' through the Force?" Braze inquired, genuinely intrigued. "Given that you've had to adapt this way for as long as you can remember, you must be quite adept at it. Is it your primary way of perceiving the world?" His questions were filled with curiosity, as he tried to imagine what life might be like through her unique lens.

Iris Arani Iris Arani

Last edited:
Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"I can't say no to him." Iris shrugged nonchalantly. Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el was likely her closest friend of their generation. If only because he never left. Not like the others. It was a bitter thought, but one she didn't linger on. The woman kept a pretty emotionless gaze as her eyes traveled all over Braze's form to read his emotions.

"It was the only way for a long time. And it was blinding and deafening. Where you're learning to see with the Force, I had to teach myself the opposite; to not get overwhelmed. But that means I can give an insight most others can't. How attuned are you to the Force?"

Braze Braze

wb1.png
@
alexboarder.png

"How attuned am I to the Force?" Braze paused, clearly wrestling with how to articulate his feelings. "It varies. Sometimes it's as easy as breathing, especially when my emotions are high or I'm in a stressful situation. Other times, it feels like trying to hold my breath underwater; I have to focus really hard to make anything happen."

His expression was that of mild frustration as if he felt the limitations of language. "It's more like feeling than seeing, if that makes any sense?"

He took a deep breath before continuing. "Lately, I find that I can feel others' emotions, almost like I understand what they're feeling. It's overwhelming sometimes. I'm worried I might be projecting too much of myself, or letting my own shields slip."

Braze looked earnestly at Iris. "I've been training to be prepared for any scenario. Sight is crucial but can be easily compromised. I want to be ready for that. The hope is that if something important is happening one day and I'm robbed of my sight, I'll still be capable of doing what needs to be done."

Iris Arani Iris Arani

Last edited:
Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"That's right."

Iris pointed up, right towards Braze's eyes. "It's not seeing. It's feeling. If you try to compare it to sight or the like, you'll only be limiting yourself. It's not like your other senses." She lowered her hand, looking around the room. Frowned. The equipment was probably a good idea to keep, but was it really going to help him?

"It'll be easier to show you. Sit. Close your eyes. Open your mind."

Braze Braze

Braze listened attentively, his eyes widening slightly as Iris' words resonated with him.

He took a moment to assess the room—the safety equipment, the physical boundaries—and felt a pang of irony. Here he was, setting up physical safety nets when the real work needed to be internal, a battle within his own mind and spirit. Or at least that's what he was understanding from her.

"I think you might know best here..."
Braze conceded. He moved to sit down, carefully clipping his training saber back onto his belt.

Closing his eyes, he tried to clear the mental clutter. "Alright." he announced softly, ready to venture into this new understanding of 'feeling' the Force, as Iris had suggested. "If this helps me to deepen my connection and understand others without getting overwhelmed, then I'm all ears—or rather, all mind."

With a sense of ceremonial gravity, he pulled out his black satin sash. "If we're going to do this, let's do it right," he murmured.

Slowly, deliberately, he tied the sash around his eyes, immersing himself in darkness once more. Adjusting to the sensation, he released a slow, cleansing breath, allowing himself to settle into this vulnerable state.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"I wouldn't worry too much about covering your eyes yet. That'll come next."

Understanding came first. Iris closed her eyes in turn before reaching out through the colors. It'd been a while since she last brought another into her world. And yet, like riding a bicycle, she found the familiar sensations. Little by little she blended their different colors until they melded. And in that instance, they were no longer two different people. Everything he felt, everything she felt, they shared it all without limit.

Including her world. The colors of the Force. Constant and overwhelming. Every facet of life, no matter how small, brought it's own shade of color to the haze of the Force. Every thought, intention, feeling. From every color the eyes of a human could se to colors beyond that, to even those without names, they swirled in what seemed like pure chaos. No matter how much one tried to shut it off or disconnect, it was there.

"A lot of people think of it as turning it on or off. But there is no such thing. The Force is always there. Everything is always moving and flowing. You just need to learn how best you can feel it. Find your song in the Force first. Then you can worry about blinding yourself."

The bond lasted only a moment longer, long enough for Braze to at least understand what she was saying. Then she cut it off, separated their colors again as she opened her eyes.

"What is the Force to you?"

Braze Braze

wb1.png

TAGS:
Iris Arani Iris Arani
alexboarder.png

Braze blinked, feeling a profound shift as Iris created their connection. The experience was overwhelming yet enlightening, like diving into an icy ocean and feeling every current, every nuance of temperature, every lifeform in the water, all at once. The sensation still lingered in his senses, a newfound awareness of the Force's limitless expanse. He was briefly stunned.

For a moment, he was lost for words, still reeling from the brief but intense shared experience. Then, he took a deep breath and 'looked' at Iris, a newfound respect in him as he tried to 'feel' out her force presence amidst it all. It was as if everything was amplified.

"The Force... to me, it's like a torrential river that flows through all living things. Sometimes it's as calm as a placid lake, and other times it roars like a tempest, full of both potential and peril. I used to think my job was to control it, to harness its energy for specific ends, either for myself or for the greater good. But now," he paused, eyes narrowing as he considered the vivid swirl of colors in the Force he'd just experienced, "I realize it's not something I can truly control, nor should I try to?"

Braze exhaled deeply, clearly grasping for the right words. "It's untamable—wild like gusts of wind that you can't capture, or a blaze that consumes without asking for permission. To be in sync with the Force isn't about imposing your will upon it; it's about harmonizing with its natural rhythms, resonating with its ebbs and flows. Like aligning yourself to the nuances of a complex melody, rather than trying to dominate the song."

He sighed, his eyes still showing a hint of that exhilaration, tempered now by an almost spiritual solemness... "So, if I understand you correctly, before attempting to shield myself from the physical world, I need to first find... my own signature?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Rivers, huh?

Iris smiled after a moment, leaning back on her hands. She could see that. The colors of her own connection to the Force certainly weren't what Braze described, but that was the Force. It was unique and personal to everyone. "Your own signature. It is good to recognize yourself in the currents, I suppose." She hadn't. Of everything she could see in the Force, Iris herself was not part of it. She frowned at the thought, but sat up a bit to pull off her pack and started to rumage through it.

Then brought out paint. Easles. Canvas.

"It's hard to focus on your own in such a storm, though. Why don't we just practice going with the flow, mm?"

Braze Braze

wb1.png
Iris Arani Iris Arani
alexboarder.png

Braze's eyes widened slightly, a mix of intrigue and surprise at Iris's choice of tools. He watched her carefully, trying to hide his initial skepticism. Painting? Really? It felt rather... pedestrian for Jedi training. But Iris had her ways, and Braze knew better than to outright dismiss them.

"Go with the flow? To just let the currents take you? To like... let loose and let what happens.. happen?" He repeated, quirking an eyebrow as he looked over the easels and paint. His fingers instinctively fidgeted, yearning to touch and feel the textures. "Through painting? Never thought I would be painting as a form of training.... But sure, let's see where this river leads." He smirked, challenging, but ready to embrace the unexpected. Inside, though, he felt a slight twinge of apprehension. Expressing himself in such a tangible, visible way was new territory. Still, if it was a way to better understand the Force, he was all in.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"You can't control the Force. What happens, happens." It was a good way to think of it. Iris didn't see a need to double down any further on the thought though and just let her brush touch the canvas and painted. No rhyme or reason, just went with the flow as he'd said. Grant it, she painted what she saw in him. How the Force ebbed and flowed around him, the colors he dyed the natural greens and blues of the cave. The worry, the determination, the joy and frustration. All of his emotions added to the seemingly chaotic swirl she drew.

"Painting is just one way to see it."

Braze Braze

wb1.png
Iris Arani Iris Arani
alexboarder.png
Braze watched intently, captivated by Iris's every brushstroke. The painting was abstract, yes, but he could recognize fragments of something familiar in the whirlwind of color. He glanced from the canvas to Iris, then back again, trying to reconcile the vivid depiction.

"How can you replicate what you 'see' in such a way?"
he asked, genuine curiosity evident in his voice. "I mean, what I feel when I connect with the Force and what you've created here... It's as if you're... taking the intangible and giving it form?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"You can turn it off, right? Feeling the flow. If you stop focusing, it's no longer there to distract you." She didn't stop painting even as she spoke, almost like it was an afterthought. It was, of course. That was the nature of the lesson, to let the Force guide rather than trying to guide it. "The colors for me have always been there, for as long as I can remember. I had to learn how to see the different colors before I could learn how to even hold a conversation. Know where I am. See someone's face. Painting, on the other hand, just gave me a way to show what I saw so I wouldn't be alone. It's not really a hobby for me, but the product of a young girl who tried desperately to be heard in the haze."

Braze Braze

Braze paused for a moment, absorbing the weight of her words. He took a slow, deep breath before responding, his tone softer and more introspective. "I've always felt the Force, even before I knew what it was. But it's different for me. For you, it seems the colors have always been there, vibrant and all-consuming. For me, it's more like a song, sometimes a whisper, sometimes a symphony. I can tune it out, sure, but it's always there in the background."

He looked down at his hands for a moment, gathering his thoughts. "I've been learning to find balance – to know when to listen and when to let it fade into the backdrop. Your painting... it's a beautiful expression of your experience. I can't truly understand what it's like for you, but through your art, I feel like I'm getting a glimpse of your world. And trust me," he said, glancing up at her with a genuine smile, "you're being heard loud and clear."

Iris Arani Iris Arani

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris paused and glanced up to him. There was another moment of her just looking around him, his colors, all while never truly looking at him. It was unnerving to most, she knew, but she also didn't care much on that regard. After a moment of quiet, she reached up with her paintbrush to dot his nose.

"I appreciate the sentiment, Padawan, but we're not here for you to understand my art. But find meaning in your own. Focus on your canvas before you turn your eyes elsewhere, or you'll never be able to grow."

Braze Braze

Braze's green eyes followed the path of Iris's paintbrush, his gaze intensifying as it drew nearer. The touch of the brush on his nose made his pupils narrow, and as he watched the brush retreat, he momentarily went cross-eyed, feeling the wetness of the paint. A soft chuckle escaped his lips.

His gloved hand moved up instinctively, attempting to rub away the paint, but only managing to spread it a bit more. His usually pristine white eyelashes fluttered, revealing the slight red tinge of embarrassment on his cheeks.

With a brief frown and a low, contemplative murmur, Braze let his legs give out beneath him, landing with a soft thud on the ground. Lying sprawled on his back, the coldness of the ground seeped through his robe, yet the sensation oddly felt comforting. His gaze wandered skywards, taking in the slow, graceful dance of the clouds overhead.

He exhaled deeply as if letting go of the weight of expectations, criticisms, and self-doubt that had been coiling tighter within him. He felt lighter, and freer, even if it was just for a moment.

"Master Iris," he finally said, voice tinged with wonder, "When you say 'canvas,' it isn't just about the art in front of us, is it? It's about life, our choices, our path... What even is my canvas?" The question was sincere, a plea from a young Padawan trying to find his place in the vast galaxy.

Last edited:
Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"You're very much like your master, you know."

Iris set down her brush after a couple final strokes. She could see the turmoil in his heart as clear as a sunrise. Anxiety, uncertainty. "You put others ahead of yourself. If you don't even know who you are, though, how are you really helping anyone? Saying what they want to hear? Letting yourself get hurt instead of them, sort of thing?" She couldn't say how similar Braze was to Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el , but she was starting to get quite the picture.

Literally. She looked over the canvas for a brief moment longer.

"You see the good in someone, even when they hurt you. You protect them, even when they betray you. But why?"

Braze Braze

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom