Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tion Ways and Tion Laws

Sasha Santhe

Majority Share Holder, Santhe Corporation
Stately Santhe Manner was, in addition to being huge, beautiful. It has stood for over a thousands of years and if the current occupant had any say in the matter it would stand for thousands more. There was a meeting now. Sasha was representing the power of Tion, the nobles corporations, and even the people. There was history here, a history of abuse by foreign powers being attracted by the industrial might of the sector.

“Once upon a time,” Sasha began, “there was Tion ways and Tion Laws.” She wore a dress that was pretty, but dark. Perhaps too dark, like a mourning dress, for this type of meeting. There was little subtlety in its choice. “Planets filled with Tion souls, waking to the new morning.” Jedi. Sasha had masqueraded in front of Jedi before with good results, but to invite them to her home… well that felt awkward.

“Then Xim came around. With him we saw glory, a rise. He started building ships and cities. He wanted to change our living.” Sasha sat down at the large table. In the kitchen droids were preparing a feast for the well traveled dignitaries. There was more to the story of Tion, more to Lianna, more to Sasha Santhe.

A big sigh erupted from Sasha’s mouth, “Then the Republic and their Jedi came and started centuries of shame. But they couldn’t make us turn from our culture as much as they tried. Do you understand? We remained Tionese. After them the Empire and then the One Sith and most recently a Sith Empire. Again and again the soldiers came, burnt our houses and stole our industry, stole our minerals, stole our grain.” Sasha stood from her chair, “They shot the farmers in their fields. People who were just working for a living.”

“For eight hundred years we have been damned, but we’ve kept the spirit of Tion above the hordes descending. Now after the gates of hell have opened up we find ourselves once again beset by an army of force users poised like a serpent to strike at our very way of life.” Sasha cleared her throat to continue, “And today the struggle carries on and, uncharacteristically, I find that I wonder if I’ll live long enough see the gates of freedom open to my people.”

Sitting back down she smoothed a wrinkle in her dress. “Tion ways and Tion laws. That is all we want. The basic right to self rule.”

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] & [member="Coci Sinopi"]

Hira Mitsae

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Coci Sinopi"]

The Tion Cluster, a melting point of cultural splendor mixed with the industrial audacity of people who wanted to gain more out of life. The Tionese had never been satisfied with the scrap of the Republic or the yoke of the Empire, they had always set out to accomplish more than that, to gain the ultimate kind of freedom. Financial independance mixed with the ability to self-govern when that was an option, suffice to say that the Tionese were a hardy people, proud and successful.

Irani was not natively one of them, and yet… he felt closer to their spirit than most others. Serenno might have been his homeworld once, but today for the intents of this conversation?

He was Tion.

And so he sat down next to [member="Sasha Santhe"], not as Carach, but as the respectable and dignified Lord Irani. Ty’rel Holdings held their headquarters on Lianna, but the company had numerous divisions and subsidiaries; all of which had assets within the Tion Cluster.

Eridium Industrial was one of them.

The Santhe manor was an imposing sight, picturesque even. Lianna had long been just beyond reach of the Silver Jedi, and its connections to the Tion Cluster was well-known by many in the buisness world. Granted, Thurion was not a buisnessman of any kind, and yet even he knew of Tion's adept grasp of its politics. Sat at the opposing end of the large table, he and Coci attended this meeting as representatives of their order. Listening to [member="Sasha Santhe"]'s opening speech, he watched her take a seat before in turn standing up.

"Miss Santhe, I wish to give thanks to you for setting up this meeting. It is a noble thing to allow us entry to your home and we will show every courtesy." He cleared his throat. "Allow me to officially introduce ourselves to all those who have chosen to attend this meeting. My name is Thurion Heavenshield, Grandmaster of the Order of the Silver Jedi. At my side is [member="Coci Sinopi"], acting Master of the Order."

"Forgive me when I say I was not aware of Tion's troubled history, Miss Santhe. By what you've just told us it would seem your people have been wronged too many times, and to that all I can do is offer my sympathies. I know what it means to keep a people together during trying times." He referred to the recent loss of [member="Iella E'ron"], former Grandmaster and co-founder of the Order. Not long before her death the cataclysmic event had ripped apart families and loved ones, and many were still misplaced or missing.

"Let me tell you this, right away: We are not the Republic. Personally, I left Republic space when I was but a boy and have not looked back since. What their politics are I do not presume to know. All I can do is give you my word as a Jedi that we do not wish to rule over you. Your government will be allowed to remain intact just as it is, provided it does not choose to commit atrocities of any kind. The wellfare of the Tion Cluster and its people are a far greater concern to us than those who govern it."

With that he concluded his opening speech and sat back down in his chair, subtly reaching for Coci's hand just to feel the comfort of her skin against his.

Sasha Santhe

Sasha didn’t sigh in relief at [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]’s words. Deeds not words, that had once been a rallying call for the downtrodden. “What you say is very well and good,” Sasha replied finally. “and I respect that you’d give your word, though I’m afraid your word as a Jedi may not mean as much as you think.” To forestall any argument she lifted her hand. “We need only look at the actions of the Jedi as of late. How many have fallen to the darkness or the void?”

True enough, “And how many Grand Masters have the various orders gone through? Even if everyone took you for your word, how much longer would you truely be around?” Sasha shook her head. None of this mattered. “More importantly, your presence here… what if the Sith come? For a Millennia the Sith and Jedi have been at each others throats. What if your presence here once again called the wrath of the sith down upon our cluster? In the core they are amassing power. They’ve taken advantage of the last crisis to wrest Kuat and the core, the industrial core, away from the Republic. They are building ships, guns, and training men to use them. What defense can you offer? Would you expect Tion to lend you it’s defense forces? Should we die in your wars?”

"What you say is true," Thurion began after giving his answer some thought. "The Jedi Order as of late have had difficulties keeping control of the inner workings of their organisation, as well as in battling the Sith. I cannot and will not speak on the behalf of their leaders or members, but merely give you my honest opinion." He leaned forward ever-so-slightly.

"Truth of the matter is, should the Sith prevail against the Republic and thereby wipe out an alliance of planets that have existed for centuries, it won't be long until they come knocking at our doorstep. They would spread like wildfire across the galaxy just like the Galactic Empire of old. What defenses can you muster if they do? If you will let us, the Silver Jedi could offer protection against any intruders wishing to do damage against your buisnesses. We have a better chance standing against them by joining forces rather than have each man fight for themselves." He leans back in his seat, fingers drumming lightly against the table and keeping a steady gaze at [member="Sasha Santhe"] sat opposite of him.

[member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Coci Sinopi"]

Sasha Santhe

Sasha actually laughed. “Corporations managed to do alright in the Clone Wars. What you are setting up here with your little theocracy is the groundwork for another conflict that will cost more lives.”

“The truth of the matter,” Sasha said, “that we survived the Sith more than once, and we can weather that storm again. I will however agree with you on principal. I find the sith hard to deal with and was barely able to keep my operations on coruscant operational under their ever so watchful gaze.” Sasha averted her gaze to the drumming of fingers. Annoying. “But let us get back to you protecting us. With what fleet? What army? Will you levy taxes against our interests to raise said forces? The Jedi may be powerful but they are still mortal beings.”

But Sasha wasn’t done yet. “And more importantly with what authority do you operate?” Her eyes narrowed. “And to whom do you report? I see little to no government in place on these worlds under your protection. Where are your articles of federation or confederation? You don’t even have a declaration of principles. You arrive unheeded and unwanted. What separates you from a vigilante, what gives you the moral authority? You show up on Rudrig a signatory of the proclamation bearing its name and you take charge, their words unheeded.”

[member="Darell Irani"] & [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] & [member="Coci Sinopi"]

“We operate with the authority of the individual planets governing bodies”, Coci finally spoke up. “The Silver Jedi are not the Republic, we are a non-political order and will not be puppets to any political philosophy or doctrine. And we will not be puppets to an organisation”, she added. “If you wish to know who we report to, we report to the peoples under our protection, and by protection I mean we do so when the respective governments of the planet under our protection ask for it, when evidence of corruptions threatens their existence. We do not impose a will or our will upon anyone. Whether you like it or not, we are Jedi and so we follow those principles .. which I am sure you are aware of”.

[SIZE=12pt]Coci’s care is for the peoples of the protected space of Silver Jedi, regardless of their governing bodies, as long as the people enjoyed peace without hindrance or imposed wills from others. She cared even less for any company frightened they would lose their vested interests, and in her mind this was this talk was all about, she is sceptical of them just as much as they are of the Silver Order. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]However, she is well aware of the principles of capitalism and the so called trickle-down effect, on paper this looks appealing, but in reality never reaches the bottom. A principle that only benefits the top dogs so to speak. However the concern seems for the planet Rudrig, which before the massive devastation of the Event was not under Silver Order protection nor Lianna or Tion. The galaxy wide change had not been in their control as it was for all of the rest of them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sasha wanted assurance on how the Silver Order would protect them, a list of inventory of the Order? Having only just met this group why would they or why should they reveal the Silver Manifest? “Since we are requesting cards to be laid on the table, will you tell me who works for you?, names and alliances to the Force? What is your principles of operations in your company, what does your company do for the community in which you say enjoy your company’s benefits? Do you have an active programme to help the less fortunate?’. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][member="Sasha Santhe"] [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] [member="Darell Irani"][/SIZE]

[member="Sasha Santhe"] | [member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Coci Sinopi"]

"Oh, please." Gerion had, up until this point, remained seated quietly next to Sasha Santhe. But now he had been incensed to speak.

"I hope you don't presume to doubt our sincerity in keeping the people of the Tion Cluster safe. When the government of Raxus Secundus collapsed in the wake of catastrophe, there were no Silver Jedi to be seen. Who kept order in the streets? The Tionese Whiteguard. Who brought much needed aid to the system? The Tion Hegemony. Meanwhile, your organization instead made moves towards Rhen Var. Ziost. Dead planets, populated only by artifacts you sought to plunder. A brazen power grab made during a time where your former constituents were in dire need."

The Umbaran leaned forward, tenting his hands on the table and fixing Coci with a stern look.

"Our actions during the crisis show who we are and what we stand for. And judging from your hasty, ridiculous excavations of underpopulated worlds, I suppose I could say the same for you. Don't talk to me about principles that you clearly lack."

Sasha Santhe

Sasha let out a sigh. It took [member="Gerion Ardik"]’s outburst to make her realise she was being less than diplomatic, and yet many of her questions went unanswered. She put a hand up to Ardik’s hologram to forestall anymore comments from him. Sasha was taking lead with these negotiations and while she enjoyed his input with a smug little internal smile she also knew that outbursts like that might be less than appreciated on the other side of the aisle.

“I suppose what you’re asking is fair. Outside of providing income and jobs and personally funding the local security forces of Lianna I run several charities. I myself am active in the communities where my company does business. I helped to stabilize Lianna and Raxus after the most recent disaster. And on Hypori where I have factories I am in the process of creating redundant factories lowering my personal profits and creating extra jobs for the unemployed there. I am a capitalist, but I am also a patriot.” And an opportunist, but there was no need to bring that up. “But I am not here as a Corporate Entity, I am here as Lady Santhe of Lianna. I am noble vested with the interests of the people of this sector.”

And then a sigh, “I have been kind enough to answer your questions, now how about you answer mine? I was first afterall. With what Navy and with what fleet do you intend to protect these people? You’ve both implied a bit of self determination with the planets under your control. How do you afford fleets? Taxes? If you tax the people via their respective local governments how can you justify them having no oversight of your organization? I say no oversight because you just spoke many words saying nothing, the artform of politicians I find. You report to the people you say. How if you are not are not willing to be puppets to a political body. If a Jedi wrongs a person what shall that persons recourse be since you’ve made it clear there is no civilian oversight organization. As I said the Jedi as a whole haven’t been representing themselves very well across the galaxy.” Sasha laughed again, “Then you say you do not impose your will upon anyone while saying whether I like it or not you will follow these ironclad principles meddling into rightful local government that you consider corrupt. That is the very definition of imposition my dear Jedi Master. Where is your constitution? Your declaration of principles? Your list of rights? Yoru Articles of Confederation? Your contract of employment as security? What legal standing do you have?” Her stares alternating between [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] and [member="Coci Sinopi"].

Rubbing her temples she decided to change the subject, provide some food for thought. “Let us take a break for a moment from this serious talk. I have an anecdote to share that you may find relevant to this conversation. I was on the planet of Ossus handing out food to refugees. This was under the Sith Empire mind you, this sort of act was frowned upon. There was a man who related a legend to me. In the beginning there was Fire and Water and being natural enemies these two were at war. Water turned into ice and tried to withstand fire but melted. Then they engaged again and this time water remained liquid. He surrounded and consumed the fire snuffing it out. The man then looked at me and asked if I understood. I didn’t but I nodded my head yes anyways.” Sasha laughed at the memory, “He saw through me, but I was young, just sixteen. He picked up two leafs and showed them to me. One was dead. Rigid, he said. The other was soft and flexible, vibrant and alive. ‘Flexibility is the discipline of life.’ he said ‘and rigidity the discipline of death.’” Sasha smiled with the memory. She led the force against his village a mere week later. A waste typical of the average sith. “Perhaps if this old man had talked to the Jedi and Sith a millennia ago this current conflict could have been avoided.”

[member="Sasha Santhe"] had tried her hand at an anecdote. It proved... ineffective, but its meaning was not lost on him. "The conflict between Jedi and Sith is one of stubbornness and tragic bloodshed for the sake of it. I've met plenty of Sith in my days, and what I've learned so far is that they're all different with different agendas and motivations. They are not the boogeymen padawans are taught to fear and fight against. They're just people driven by hatred for their fellow man and religious dogma." Such were his views on Sith. They were not to be hated, but pitied. He rose from his seat, palms flat against the table.

"But I digress. The Sith are not today's topic, nor is the organisational structure of our Order, Miss Santhe. You called us to this meeting wanting to conclude a treaty between our two peoples. So far you have not offered us any terms or conditions, but instead displayed rather futile attempts to wrest information from a Jedi delegation which quite frankly has turned into a series of prodding and provokation." His voice remained calm, yet firmer than usual. He let out a sigh and his voice mellowed just as he looked around at those gathered, Coci included.

"I can tell we are not wanted here, and it is entirely within your right to think such. I wish to remind you all that we are not your enemy. The fact that we are here speaking should be evidence enough to suggest the opposite. I apologise if my associate and I have offended anyone in this room, or the people of the Tion Hegemony. That was not our goal walking in here, and it never will be." His eyes settled on the young woman in front of him once more, and he sat back down.

"Miss Santhe - what is it that you wish of us? State your terms and we will listen." Enough games.

[member="Coci Sinopi"] | [member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Gerion Ardik"]

Sasha Santhe

Sasha sighed a little bit as she looked at [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]. “You are mostly correct. In my attempt to discern your legal standing I may have been overzealous. I apologize.” Sasha hadn’t even apologized to Velok when he flew into his rage. Hell, she couldn’t remember the last time she had apologized to anyone. “Until there is an organization structure in place, a list of laws, no treaty we could make would be legal. So I suppose our first talking point would be to ensure you have legal authority, a document signed by your member systems and planets.”

Sasha bit her nail, a disgusting habit she would not continue. “What we want and will accept is a Suzerainty Compact. Recognition that the Tion Hegemony is a distinct community with self rule. And a further guarantee that no taxes shall be levied upon the Tionese people or their entities without consent of the government of Tion. The right to defend ourselves with a local security force beholden to no outside influence. We want a guarantee that Hegemony law as set by people of Tion will be respected by members of your order. If we ask for help you come, if we do not, you leave us to our peace.”

And then Sasha took a deep breath, “But a treaty of this sort rarely benefits only one party. I asked you earlier with what fleet you would use to protect us, and now I answer. With the fleet we build for you. I asked you with what army you would protect us? With the army we supply for you. And you will leave us alone.”

“Tion will ease export taxes in exchange for easements of your own thus providing you greatly discounted goods. We will be your industrial heartland as we have been for all the occupying nations before you. Like all contracts we can negotiate here.”

Standing to stretch her legs Sasha then said, “But before we can proceed with any negotiations we need legal documentation that proves you are a legal government entity. A constitution, a set of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which you and your organization is governed. Without that you have no right to rule any system as you have no government. Without that, which you have yet to provide us, you are no better than a pirate lording over defenseless colonists.”

(OOC: Seriously just put up an OOC thread describing how the Silver Jedi govern these systems. From our conversations I can't tell if you're analogous the North German Federation, the European Union, or the Confederate States of America. Better yet do an IC thread with representatives from your planets forming a government. That's all I've been asking for is an IC explaination of how you lot work.)

[member="Coci Heavenshield"]

((OOC: Sorry I took so long :) ))

[SIZE=12pt]Coci kept her temper at this point, as hard as that was, however she took in a deep breath and steadied herself. Thurion had asked for their terms in wished for this treaty and that was answered, however with little prudence to diplomacy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I believe I have already said that the Order of the Silver Jedi are not a governing body, but allow the individual governments of the planets under our protection the liberty to be able to continue as such and govern in their own right. Until such time as you understand our position, please refrain from calling us criminal entities”, [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]she began. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“The Silver Jedi was founded on the principles of freedom, the Silver Jedi will not interfere with any government under our protection unless called upon to oversee an issue or corruption”, [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]she felt like she was repeating herself. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“If you wish for a name to put to our position within the area, then consider it a Tributary State, and consider this in loose terms as the old ways of this State are strict to say the least and we are not that. The governments of the planets within our protection pay us a tribute which is not, and I repeat, not mandatory but given to us in good faith. The monetary amount varies depending on each government’s generosity and in some cases we do not receive any. But regardless of this, we maintain strong presence in our bid to protect. We do not hold any planet above the other because of this and will never do. The Silver Jedi are not what one might consider a Feudal system, as we do not have Lords that would oversee an area or planet”, [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]she looked at the woman hoping that might answer her question or these talks would come to an end fast. [/SIZE]

[member="Sasha Santhe"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Sasha Santhe"]

"Now you're just being ridiculous." Gerion commented. "Don't sit here and tell me you don't hold prioritize. You Silver Jedi went on a field trip to Ziost and Rhen Var instead of helping the people of Raxus Secundus. You practically tripped over yourselves in an effort to lay claim to two dead, useless worlds while your former constituents went without aid. Do you have an explanation for that, or are we expected to ignore it with the same enthusiasm you do?"

Gerion was well aware that neither of the two Silver Jedi seated before him had acknowledged his previous sentiments. He did not suspect they would pay any mind to this one either.

Sasha Santhe

Sasha sighed and looked around around the room again. “We will never agree on all the issues. All we are now asking for is a signed treaty stating that the Silver Jedi Order will respect Tionese sovereignty and Tionese law. If your people commit a crime on our worlds we want them held accountable in our courts. In return we will provide the planets under your protection with industrial goods, both militarily and civilian, and we will make sure that your Jedi Order is equipped.” Deep breaths Sasha, deep breaths. “As long as Tion retains the right to a defense force and are free from meddling and our rights are guaranteed in a document I see no issue with signing it.” She gave Ardik a stern glance. “We have prepared a treaty.”

A droid brought in a document and placed it in front of the various leaders present. “We of Tion will still need to ratify this treaty, but I promise we will do so in a timely fashion.”

Text of the Tion-Jedi Pact
The Government of the Tion Hegemony and The Silver Jedi Order desirous of strengthening the cause of peace between Tion and the Silver Jedi., and proceeding from the fundamental agreements discussed on this day Tion and the Silver Jedi., have reached the following Agreement:
Article I. Both High Contracting Parties obligate themselves to desist from any act of violence, any aggressive action, and any attack on each other, either individually or jointly with other Powers.
Article II. Tion agrees to conditional acceptance of Silver Jedi protection in return for trade concessions and exclusivity on military construction for the Silver Jeri Order and those planets under their protection.
Article III. Tion shall brook no challenger to her sovereignty and will protect it by any and all means. The Silver Jedi pledge to maintain said sovereignty.
Article IV. The Governments of the two High Contracting Parties shall in the future maintain continual contact with one another for the purpose of consultation in order to exchange information on problems affecting their common interests.
Article V. Should disputes or conflicts arise between the High Contracting Parties shall participate in any grouping of Powers whatsoever that is directly or indirectly aimed at the other party.
Article VI. Should disputes or conflicts arise between the High Contracting Parties over problems of one kind or another, both parties shall settle these disputes or conflicts exclusively through friendly exchange of opinion or, if necessary, through the establishment of arbitration commissions.
Article VII. The present Treaty is concluded for a period of ten years, with the proviso that, in so far as one of the High Contracting Parties does not advance it one year prior to the expiration of this period, the validity of this Treaty shall automatically be extended for another five years.
Article VIII. The present treaty shall be ratified within the shortest possible time. The ratifications shall be exchanged on Lianna. The Agreement shall enter into force as soon as it is signed.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Gerion Ardik"]

Eyes snapped to the white-haired man at the table. An Umbaran, most likely. "Forgive me, sir, but I don't believe I know your name." Admittedly a bit frustrated not only by the man's snarky comments, but this entire procedure, he breathed and spoke calmly all the same. "We are not here to discuss the inner workings of our Order. The Grandmaster asked us to go to Rhen Var, and we did our duty to her and the Order by going there. Do not presume to know Jedi buisness, stranger, as we do not presume to know your buisness. Quite frankly, I don't care to find out."

He returned his attention to [member="Sasha Santhe"], who already had a droid bring in their treaty. Taking a moment to read through it multiple times to make sure there are no evident loop holes for either party, his eyes then found Sasha's. "This army of yours... I wonder; would they follow the biddings of the Council, or you?" He didn't expect a clear answer - why start now? "I will let my second give her thoughts before signing anything. I trust her judgement more than most." His gaze wandered upon those gathered yet again, including the man he figured for Umbaran. Thoughts of Kära inevitable sprang to mind, and there was more than his white hair that felt familiar, somehow.

[member="Gerion Ardik"] | [member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Coci Heavenshield"]

As Thurion spoke, Coci looked over the text of the Pact.

"It says here in article four: The Governments of the two High Contracting Parties shall in the future maintain continual contact with one another for the purpose of consultation in order to exchange information on problems affecting their common interests". She looked up to Sasha.

"You are the CEO of a company are you not? are you here as your planets Governing authority as well? if not, then why as there not a government representative present here?".

She stood up, "I will request a copy of this Pact if I may, we can not enter into this pact without speaking to the Silver Jedi Council members, the decision shall be made after this delibration. As soon as we come to a conclusive result we shall inform you. We do not take this lightly and I am sure you will understand our need to discuss with our members". She would leave the final decission to Thurion on this, but it was time to leave.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] [member="Sasha Santhe"] [member="Gerion Ardik"]

Sasha Santhe

"Well Grandmaster Heavenshield," Sasha said politely, "Local militia is of course answerable to local authority however we would merely provide equipment to the Jedi Order, not the manpower therefore they would be as loyal to you as the people you recruit." She then turned to Coci Heavenshield. "I am negotiating on behalf of the people Tion as a member of the ruling family of Lianna. Please take this pact back to your people for ratification. We will do the same with our local government and we can meet back here for the signing of the treaty,"

She nodded to the Jedi and stood up preparing to leave.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Gerion Ardik"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom