Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tied Together With A Smile

Jamie shrugged as she looked about the space. "We can wait, if you think it better. I know you're afraid of the ship coming undone mid-flight and all." The comment came not as an insult this time, but one of sincerity. She knew Aela wasn't exactly the space flight kind of girl, and lightsabers in a confined space might agitate that concern even more.

Perhaps it wasn't the wisest of decisions.

"I don't mind."

Though that would leave them again with little in the way of things to do while they waited for the arrival.

"Other thoughts then?" She'd ask Aela, hoping for some bit of inspiration.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"I don't have to fight to test you." Aela pointed out.

The training that she and Jamie had done extended to more than just fighting. Much of what Aela had focused on was meditation and control of Jamie's own potential in the force. The two tied together of course, and if they wanted to waste some time she could assess her padawan in other means. Slowly the Jedi Master stood from her place on the small crate, wandering over towards the center of the room and letting herself sit down in a crossed legged position.

"Come here." She told Jamie. "We'll see how far you've come."

When they had first gone to Bastion Jamie had barely been able to lift a rock in the basement of the manor they stayed in. Now? Now it should be different.

They had extensively trained, meditated, and worked on Jamie's power. "Lets see how many crates you can lift."

It was ostensibly a simple task. Lifting a single box with the force was nothing, lifting half a dozen? A little difficult, but such was only the beginning of Aela's test.

The girl raised an eye, wondering what exactly Aela meant by her words. Still, boot clad feet padded over towards where Aela had taken up her latest seat, dropping beside her master with her feet tucked beneath her rear. Her hands rested in her lap, listening to what the girl had decided to take up as a test for her student. "Okay. Easy." She said with a small bit of confidence.

A few moments of silence would pass and Jamie began to concentrate, allowing herself to open to the Force, to feel its' rush and energize her so to speak. With her eyes still closed she raised her right hand, lifting the first crate of equipment from the ground without a single ounce of trepidation or uncertainty. It would appear as simple as taking a breath. The same could be said for the second and third. Each one was left at varying heights, dancing up and down ever so slightly while she focused on three others on the opposite side of the room.

For a moment they only shook, ringing out a bit of noise that echoed along the walls of the cargo bay, though in short order thereafter began to lift to relatively the same heights as the first three. Jamie would still appear to be calm and controlled, even if it had taken another moment or two to actually complete the task. She was hardly perfect, after all.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"Good." She let her gaze float between the crates.

Aela could sense the force flowing through her apprentice, the power and concentration moving much more easily than it had when they first met. She gave a small smile, though didn't say anything just yet.

"Now." She began. "Take the crates, and start to stack them into a pyramid."

The task was harder than it actually sounded. Jamie would have to move each of the crates individually while maintaining a hold on the others. She would then have to carefully maneuver each crate to the proper position in order to actually place them. She would also have to assess the size of each crate before she actually placed it into the pyramid itself. Not to mention the task would only get harder as the pyramid got higher, each crate making the structure less stable.

It would require control and patience.

Two of the things that Jamie had lacked when she'd first began her studies under Aela.

This would be far more difficult, though not because of her ineptitude, but because of the number of variables she had to account for. Size was one, though hardly the only. She needed to manage to control each individual crate separately, and precisely in order to achieve what Aela demanded. She would need intense concentration.

The blonde did not audibly answer, instead choosing to nod her head. Aela would see the six objects dance along through the air towards one another before halting in an almost perfect line. Slowly, one by one the Padawan observed and took stock of their individual weight through the Force, calculating and ordering them properly. This was the slowest, and likely the most important aspect of this test, something she would take great levels of care to do properly.

Once she had assessed all she needed to know, she set about stacking them. The three heaviest would be aligned together as a base. That part was easy. The second aspect she somewhat struggled with, ensuring that they were a proper distance apart, as well as set atop the other three crates in the proper order. The final crate gently floated through the air as she directed it with her mind, the Force carrying it in short order, though for a moment it would appear that she had faltered, as it sent down too close to the edge of one, nearly falling before she caught her mistake and corrected it, lifting it back and setting it in the center of the others.

A few deep breaths later and Jamie finally reopened her eyes to see if everything was actually, in fact, correct.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Aela smiled.

She watched the whole process quietly, not saying a thing, not critiquing or complementing. Silence was important here. Jamie had to concentrate to move the crates properly. At one point there was a temptation to shout something at her Padawan, just to force her to mess up on purpose...but ultimately she decided that doing so would be unfair. Instead she simply sat, quietly watching as Jamie began to slowly stack the crates in the proper order.

"Good." She said when Jamie finally opened her eyes.

Her gaze flicked towards the crates. "Do you see how far you've come?"

A few months ago this would have been quite literally impossible for her Padawan. Jamie had been brash, quick to anger, and unable to call upon the force at will, at least without a great amount of concentration and duress. Aela was proud of her to say the least. This marked something significant, progress.

"You've done so well." There was no lack of pride in Aela's tone.

The Padawan's eyes sparkled, partly from the praise of Aela, and partly because of the results of her own work without any outside help. It was hard to tell of what she was more pleased with. Jamie stood from where she sat, quietly circling the few crates, inspecting every aspect of the crates, making sure that they were evenly spaced, not tilted or crooked in any way, and that they looked perfect. To her almost surprise they were neatly organized as if she had placed a set of blocks with her hands.

A beaming smile danced along her features as she turned her head back to Aela.

"Thanks!"

It hadn't been until that very moment where she believed she had made any incredible strides in her training. This however, confirmed at least in some way that she had in fact made great gains in her knowledge and control of the Force. And that was all because of Aela's help. Had she not stepped in, she wasn't sure that she would be any further along than she was back during her fencing tournament. It was really incredible. Her own pride swelled inside her for Aela being such a wonderful mentor.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Jamie wasn't perfect, she hadn't mastered the force, but she was getting there. Slowly, steadily she was improving and becoming more powerful. "I know you're not a part of the Order."

Perhaps she wouldn't be for much longer either.

"And if you want we can still fight on Lujo to test your combat proficiency." In truth Aela didn't really feel the need for that. After Ossus, the outpost, everything that they had been through Aela knew that Jamie could more than handle herself in the middle of a fight. "But when we get back from this trip, I would like to grant you the status of Knight."

She wasn't sure how her Padawan react to that.

It would still be a few days before it was official of course, but Aela believed that Jamie was more than ready for the step up.

In her eyes she was above many other Knights already in the Order.

Judging by the tone of Aela's voice it seemed as though she was confident that Jamie was not in need of a spar against her. Maybe she was afraid of Jamie's awesome power? Probably not. But it was fun to think about.

"No need, if you don't think it necessary."

Aela would pick up on the fact that Jamie caught her candor when she had offered to fight on Lujo anyway. After all, the test she had just been put through sufficed to satisfy her question as to whether or not she was at all in a better place than she had been back home on Naboo.

The follow up however was from left field. She hadn't expected that in the slightest. Not at all. "Really!?" She exclaimed, half in disbelief, wondering if she had actually heard Aela correctly. "Are you sure?"

Excitement turned to suspicion, as if Aela was getting her back for earlier. "Are you pulling my leg?"

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

She nodded. "I'm sure."

There was no doubt in her mind to this. Jamie was ready. The Title of Knight, as far as the Order was concerned was granted to those strong enough to defend those who couldn't defend themselves, moral enough to keep the law, and good enough to stand with others of the Order. Jamie was all of that and more. She firmly believed that her Padawan was already better than most other Knights within the New Jedi Order, both in her capacity for good, and her strength.

"You more than deserve it." Perhaps in some ways it was already overdue.

"You're strong." Aela began. "Capable, and moral."

She smiled at her Padawan. "You still have a long way before you Master the Force, but...you've taken more than enough steps in the right direction. The title of Knight is a reward for those steps, and I hope you accept it."

When they got back she would make it official.

She was speechless really. A few times she blinked, as if trying to process what exactly Aela was saying. It didn't seem real to her. It was an unspoken understanding to Jamie that she would always be Aela's student. That changing seemed somehow wrong. Or perhaps alien. "Wow." Was the only word she could think to say at that point. It was almost as if she were in some sort of daze. An alternate reality where the real Jamie was still this silly, naive teenager that knew nothing of the galaxy or the Force. It was a real testament to Aela's ability to teach.

"I'm speechless." Jamie finally admitted, her hand raising to brush away a bit of hair behind her ear. "I don't know what to say besides Thank you."

She felt the sting behind her eyes, followed by the slowly collecting water that followed. Despite her best attempts, it came all the same. At first it was simply a single tear that streamed down the left and right sides of her face, but the moment she tried to take in a breath her composure fell apart. Her breathing stuttered, her voice hiccuped, and with a single blink the flood gates began to open.

It was simply overwhelming.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

She smiled at her padwan, trying not to burst out into laughter. The situation most certainly did not call for tears, but Aela wouldn't mock Jamie for it. "Hey hey hey!"

Aela said with a smile.

"Those better be tears of joy!" She told Jamie. Being a Knight was a large step, yes, the title didn't really come with any other authority, not in the New Jedi order, but there was a sense of respect to it, a heavier weight of responsibility. Perhaps Jamie knew and feared this, but...Aela believed she was ready.

"It's not that big of a deal." She assured her Padawan. "Things will go on as before."

She smiled. "You just get to lord over the Padawans and younglings now."

It was a joke, but also kind of serious.

Jamie nodded, almost afraid to answer for fear of crying more. She felt embarrassed, her face flared red as she turned quickly away from Aela to wipe her eyes on her arm. She felt silly for crying, but she simply couldn't not cry. It was just a reaction to something she hadn't expected. It just couldn't be helped was all. "They are." She said, affirming Aela's demand, a slight sniffle coming from the blonde as she finished drying her eyes. A finger pushed away the hair that had fallen in front of her, and she turned back to the Jedi Master.

"I apologize." Her face was still beet red. "That was just unexpected and incredible."

The girl laughed at Aela's quick quip, the kind of laugh that separated the stages between crying and being composed.

"Thank you. Really. But this doesn't mean you get to ditch me when we get back, you know?"

An appreciative smile appeared. "I'm still going to be your shadow."

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"Not necessarily." She told Jamie. "Some Knights choose to go their own way...the majority actually."

It was an odd thing really, considering that Knights weren't fully trained. She frowned for a moment and then shook her head. "It's by no means a rule though."

Nowhere did it say that a Knight was suddenly on their own. Most simply decided that they were mature enough to go on their own solo-missions without the presence of their Master. Aela didn't necessarily disapprove of that, but she found that it often lead to some foolishness, though she could hardly judge.

"You're more than welcome to stay with me." Aela told Jamie. "You still have a lot to learn after all."

She gave Jamie a wink.

"Oh. I see. I suppose that makes sense."

If they were no longer considered students, it made sense that most broke away from their masters. Still, Jamie saw that as a bit dangerous. She was in no way confident that she could handle all of the same things Aela did by herself. That gave her pause to reconsider whether or not she was actually ready for this. Or perhaps she was just more aware than other knights of her limitations.

"I think I will stay with you, if you don't mind."

That was more comfortable for her. Besides, like Aela said, she still had a lot more to learn.

"Even if it is just to teach you how to properly handle alcohol and speak to boys." She poked her tongue out in return.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"I know hot to speak to boys." Not ones she was interested in, but that was only because she'd never really been interested in the, before. The same thing went for girls though. so really the distinction wasn't as obvious as one might have thought it would be. One couldn't really call her into question on it.

Or at least she thought so.

"They don't know how to talk to me." Aela told her Padawan...or rather her newly minted Knight. "Not my fault none of them can handle me."

She shrugged and moved on. "I'll be glad to have you at my side."

Aela really would. Jamie was more than a simple student to her. She wasn't just another padawan, she wasn't just another youngling in the Order. Jamie was her friend, one of the few that Aela actually had. That meant something more than any rule the New Jedi Order could ever create.

"Always." She assured Jamie with a smile.

"Well, at least you've figured out one thing." She snickered, "None of them could handle you. That's for sure. Sometimes I wonder how I manage it."

Teasing Aela was something of a sport for Jamie now. After all of the things they'd been through, she felt as though she had earned that right. Not to mention it was incredibly entertaining for the blonde to get a rise out of the older girl whenever possible. "You are quite the handful, Miss Talith."

Jamie smirked, nodding to herself as if confirming.

"But you will never be rid of me. That's for sure."

She wouldn't admit it, but she considered Aela her closest friend now. Her friends she'd made back on Naboo were important still, but they weren't so intimately involved in every aspect of her life anymore so it was really no contest.

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

She sniffed. "Well, at least I have my standards."

The Jedi Master smoothed her robes, smiling at Jamie or a few more seconds before finally allowing the conversation to drift away from boys and towards something more interesting.

"I suppose we'll be drawing close to Lujo now." They had managed to waste quite a bit of time on Jamie's training as well as their talk about Aela's...interests. The trip wasn't that long, an as Aela had guessed a moment later the anouncement that they were getting ready to drop out of hyperspace came over the comm.

"Come on." She told Jamie as she finally stood. "Let's get strapped in."

Aela didn't add 'in case we crash' to her sentence.

"Right." She gave a quick tilt of her head before heading back through the archway to sit and prepare for the landing. "From the information I gathered from the others, it will take a few hours to reach the mouth of the cave. We have to land a ways out. But the mouth will be plain to see from a distance as it's, well, huge."

A slight vibration rocked the ship as they began to descend through the atmosphere of Lujo, heat shields absorbing the friction made as the ship tore through the sky.

The blonde continued to speak through it to keep Aela's mind off the distant potential for the ship to fall apart mid-landing.

"We'll want to take everything we can with us. I've got a pair of large bags, as well as six hip pouches. Between the two of us we should be able to carry everything we'll need for the length of the trip."

[member="Aela Talith"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Aela nodded. "Don't think that will be too much of a problem."

Part of being a Jedi was keeping in shape. Aela had a daily routine that she kept to in order stay in shape. Jamie of course had to follow the same routine as she did, being her padawan. The girl had complained at first, but after months of being Aela's student she had more than gotten used to it.

"Let's pack while we land." It would help her keep focused. "Do we have a tent or something of the sort?"

She wasn't sure if they would need it.

In theory once they were inside the cave there would be no threat of weather or anything else, and they would only be outside for a few hours. That meant they were protected from the elements at the very least, but there was never telling what was inside of the cave itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom