Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Thralda Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamira Karuto

Burn the past - Heal the future
8j9kLDA.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To create a leaf species for future submissions and roleplay
Image Credit: https://www.fnps.org/plants/plant/dodonaea-viscosa
Permissions: N/A
Links: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fp181, https://www.fnps.org/plants/plant/dodonaea-viscosa https://www.starwarsrp.net/threads/caer-badru.133834/,
https://www.starwarsrp.net/threads/falyood-trees.138016/

GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: Thralda leaves - From the Falyood tree.
Origins: Ryloth
Other Locations: Leaves and
Falyood tree grow only on Ryloth.
Classification: Leaf
Average Growth Cycle: The leaves, due to their size, only take a month or two to fully grow out from their branches if provided the necessary amount of water and sunlight. They start off growing by originating in little pods, before blooming like a flower upward and outward from the branch, giving the tree a thinner, but very thick appearance. Once they bloom, they grow to their full size.
Viability: The tree itself that the leaves grow from requires a fair bit of water and is more accustomed to the rainy temperate climate around Caer Badru. At least a few inches are needed a week to keep the tree growing and healthy. Once the leaves are pulled from the tree, they will die within a day, yet they will retain the varnish that makes the leaves themselves resistant to water. The leaves will also die and fall off during the cold months off the year.
Description: The leaves have a pointy, light green appearance and grow just about two index fingers in length. They also have a shiny sheen, and are slightly sticky to the touch due to the resin that coats the outside of the leaf.

PHYSICAL INFORMATION
Average Height: N/A
Average Length: .15m to .22m long
Color: Light green to yellow appearance
Nutritional Value: N/A
Toxicity: N/A
Other Effects: If pasted with the teeth and held to the roof of the mouth, the resin that the leaves are coated with can act as a small painkiller. This is increased for the amount of time that the leaf is held in the mouth, at least until the saliva completely dissipates the resin. If the pasted leaf is completely ingested, the resin instead can cause an upset stomach for an hour or so after ingestion. The resin can also be used as a styptic, which means that the resin on the leaves can be used a blood stopper, giving a kickstart to the healing process of minor cuts.
Distinctions: Outside of it’s typical, greenish color with the light sheen of resin, during just a few weeks in the fall season before cold months, the leaves can turn a brilliant, firey orange to yellow. It is during this time they are best collected, as, for reasons unknown to the researchers right now, the resin becomes much more potent in all areas. That means they are more upsetting to the stomach if ingested, but work as a better styptic and painkiller as well.

Strengths:
Medicinal: It took a decent bit of research on Shamira’s part, but the medicinal properties of the thralada leaves were unlocked and enjoyed on the witch’s part. She makes sure to carry a large pouch of these at all times on her person when danger is nearby.
Tough as nails: The leaves themself, compounded with the resin, make them hard to pull apart or puncture. It works with herbivores that might want to eat these leaves, though it does make it harder to paste them in ones mouth as well.

Weaknesses:
Do not ingest: Whatever happens, do not ingest these if you put them in your mouth for the painkiller effect. Especially not the fire red and yellow ones, as they will leave you couch ridden for a week. Shamira made sure to experience that only once.
More work, more work: The resin coating on the leaves makes it harder to the tree from which they grow to get the water it needs, as the resin is water resistant. This means that, while most trees are able to get enough water, there are plenty that die or have their growth stunted by their own protective leaves.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
These leaves and the tree they grow on have been in Ryloth’s forest since the planet’s birth. Native twi’lek to the planet have used the medicinal effects of the leaves since the stone ages, and even today in the age of bacta they still have their advantages. They seemingly grow especially well near Caer Bradu, meaning the leaves are in plentiful supply for witches that wish to use them.

Last edited:

Zak Dymo

Z
Shamira Karuto Shamira Karuto

I'll be conducting this review for you. While I like what you've done with this, it strikes me that the leaves are not the species. Rather, the leaves are just a component indicative of the species. I believe this submission needs to be further developed to describe the species, in addition to the leaves.

I'll break that down as we go.

Intent: To create a leaf species for future submissions and roleplay

Other Locations: Leaves and tree they grow on are specific to ryloth

So there is a species of tree on which these leaves grow, if I am correct. That should be what this submission addresses in terms of the floral life. Instead, what you have listed is:

Classification: Leaf

If you refer to the template, what ordinarily goes here is looking at the plant as a whole, be it tree, vine, moss or otherwise. Leaves can develop on a variety of flora. This should address that rather than looking at only the component piece.

Similarly, with Average Growth Cycle, the template requests information about the plant and not its pieces. Those can be described in the same detail, if you wish, but the species submission needs to outline the actual species of plant. As such, this will need to be revised to describe the average height of the plant and add in other details currently absent.

If you like, I can move this back to Pre-Codex while you work on that. But over to you if you would like to take that option or not.

Those are my thoughts. Please let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, please tag me when you have completed your edits.

Shamira Karuto

Burn the past - Heal the future
Zak Dymo

So these leaves are attached to a tree you've already approved, The Falyood Trees. The reason I did it this way was so that their components could be used in different ways (the leaves for the skin and eventually the trees for armor). Since that's been approved, is just linking that here in this sub sufficient?

Zak Dymo

Z
Shamira Karuto Shamira Karuto

I was not connecting this submission to that one, as I don't see where the tree is identified in this submission.

If you would please adjust to make clear that these are the leaves of the Falyood Trees then I'll review once that's been added in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom