Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private This Weapon is (Not) Your Life

It was dawn at the Jedi Temple of Coruscant. Younglings were being shuffled off to early morning exercises, Padawans were heading to breakfast, and the Masters were attending a meeting in the Council Chambers.

Taking a bite of his breakfast wrap, Starlin raised his free hand and pounded on the door to Makko Vyres' room.

"Makko! Rise and shine! We gotta get you a lightsaber today!"

"Aw what?" muttered Makko, barely waking.

"What, stop!" he called out as he sat up and realised someone was pounding at his door.

"Starlin?" he called out. "Chit."

"Er I will be there in just a second."

By now his new master had to know that Makko had overslept. Had they arranged this? Makko couldn't be certain.

He was too busy rushing around his room and finding clothes to think back.

In a couple of minutes Makko opened the door. He wore his padawan robe loosely over dark black clothes that clearly needed to be ironed. His laces were undone.

Makko took the chrome cylinder. It was plain, ugly and functional. But he assumed it was a complete working lightsaber. Makko was used to anything he was given coming as part of a trade. His loyalty to Fractal state was bought and paid for, any time he had disappointed them he had been punished.

"This is a real, working lightsaber? And I can just have it?" Makko asked.

"Heh, naw, I'm just fething with you." Starlin chuckled. "It's a Corposaber. You can tell because they have a 'Made in Arcadia' label on the hilt. They come fully assembled minus a crystal - which we will have to get for you on Ilum, unless you've got a suitable rock already." He wiggled his fingers vaguely. "But seriously, I recommend you take the parts of this Corposaber and use them to build your own lightsaber. Customize and personalize that chit. It'll work a whole lot better."

Snapping his fingers, he pointed to Makko's undone laces. "Tie your shoes and meet me at the Coruscant Opera House. I know that sounds weird, but it'll all make sense soon..."

"A Corposaber?"

He looked slightly shocked that it was called that. Instead of holding it carefully, Makko let it hang loosely between finger and thumb as if it was a soiled piece of clothing he was ready to discard.

"Funny though," he gave credit with a shrug.

Makko put the lightsaber away and attended to his lace.

It did sound weird. Makko took a few minutes to tie his laces and eat a snack bar he'd stashed into a drawer. He grabbed an airtaxi. The driver looked bemused at the destination.

The wide dome could be seen rising over its district from a distance. The entrance lobby was silent. There were no shows or crowds at this time of day.

There you are,” Starlin exclaimed, breezing through the front door and into the Opera House lobby. “I know this dancer who also happens to be a lightsaber collector. He’s a bit of a wackjob, but super knowledgeable and has a ton of spare parts to work with.

Starlin peeked through the doors leading into the theater. There were no shows being performed in the morning, but sometimes there were rehearsals. Today the stage was empty, though. “He lives out of his ship, which is usually parked in the hangar…

Along the way there, Starlin asked, “Do you know what type of Jedi you want to be yet? Like a Guardian, Consular, Sentinel…” Had anyone gone over the different specializations with Makko yet?

"Did you say a dancer who collects lightsaber? I mean...i don't know why that sounds weird. I guess all kinds of people could collect lightsaber."

Makko matched step with Starlin, marveling at their surroundings. He bet tickets for something here would cost a few credits. He realised he hadn't the faintest idea what kind of shows they put on here.

"I have no idea what those are," Makko admitted. "Still getting the hang of what Jedi do at all, let alone...what are those? Job titles?"

It sounds weird because he’s not a Jedi,” Starlin suggested. “Val is cool. Just, uh, a few starships short of a fleet.

Sure enough, Makko didn’t have a clue what he was talking about. “Sort of. They’re types of Jedi, basically. There are a lot of subclasses, but the main three are Guardian, Consular, and Sentinel.

“Guardians specialize in lightsaber combat—they’re the warriors of the Order who go out and fight on battlefields.

“Consulars specialize in the Force, so they do a lot of meditating and studying mystical stuff. They fulfill a diplomatic role, or become teachers and scholars.

“Sentinels are sort of in-between, and they’re also the most accessible, dedicated to helping your average citizen or smaller community. They learn more worldly skills, so they can become artisans, mechanics, private investigators, or even vigilantes. Although, uh, some of the Masters have been cracking down on vigilantism in the Order, so... Just don't tell anyone I mentioned it.
” He winked.

If you decide what type of Jedi you want to be, you can figure out what classes to take, and I can have a better understanding of how to train you.

A few starships short of a fleet, was a saying that he was definitely going to repeat. He tucked that one away for reuse.

"I mean, Consular sounds out to me," he admitted, hoping that he wouldn't sound too dismissive. It obviously wasn't the kind of role that sounded interesting to him.

He made a motion to mimic zipping his mouth at the mention of vigliantism.

"Jedi mechanics? People learn the force and then use it to...change bolts with a hyperspanner?"

"Mmm, I figured. But don't ever underestimate a Consular. Yoda was one of those, and look at his lil green ass flippin' and dippin' in the history vids." Starlin whistled.

Then he laughed. "Chit, I guess? I'm a Guardian, not a Sentinel, so I don't know what those chucklefeths do exactly. I can still teach you, though. It just means you get to take some classes I didn't."

They had reached the hangar. Val’s ship, the Stardust, was parked in front of them. Nothing seemed amiss from the outside, yet Starlin frowned. “Something’s up,” he murmured. “Can you feel it?

Palming his lightsaber hilt, he approached the ramp. A noise echoed from somewhere inside the ship, a rattle followed by a thump. “You got any weapons on you?” he whispered to Makko.

Makko nodded. He did feel that something was wrong. It was a sense that he's had before, but never had another Jedi mention it at the same time.

If he wasn't worried that one of Starlin's friends was in danger, then he might have been pleased with himself.

The ship was all sleek lines and chrome plating. It wasn't what Makko would have expected from an unhinged friend of Starlin's who lived in his ship. It was what he expected of someone who attended the opera.

Makko chewed on his lip before giving a sharp nod.

"Just a knife."

Since the incident in the lower levels with Cora he had started carrying a flip out vibroblade again.

Old habits.

He knew how to use a knife. It wouldn't be much use unless trouble here was someone expecting a fist fight. He'd seen two people with knives fight. It had been bloody and both had ended up in hospital. People could be stabbed and keep going for longer than you'd think before they realised.

"Do I want a..."

"Yeah."

It was a heavy blaster pistol. Makko took a moment to check the safety switch was in the right place before tucking it into his jacket. He barely made an effort to keep it out of sight, keeping a hold on the reassuring weight.

"I hope that wasn't a test..." he muttered.

Naw.” Starlin fell silent as he heard another strange noise coming from inside the ship. Cautiously, he started to ascend the ramp, motioning for Makko to follow him.

The Stardust was far less shiny on the inside compared to the outside. Piles of junk cluttered the space, salvage from other vessels, weapons, and assorted gear. Starlin accidentally bumped into one of the piles, causing several items to fall. He winced at the noise it made, standing very still, expecting something to jump out at him.

Nothing happened. He exhaled the breath he had been holding, turning to head for the cockpit—

A monstrous creature with a gaping maw and writhing tentacles appeared directly in front of him. It roared, spitting droplets of slimy saliva at him.

Yoda on a speeder bike!” Starlin exclaimed, activating his lightsaber and taking a swing at it. He managed to chop off some of its tentacles, which just made the thing even more pissed. It slapped him away with enough force to send him flying, crashing into yet another pile of junk.

Of all the things Makko thought they might have found, it was not this. With the ship sitting on a docking bay in the open air of Coruscant he expected something far more insidious. A robbery, a murder, maybe even just an overdose.

"Oh feth this!" Makko shouted.

He yanked the blaster from his belt. He didn't dare raise it with Starlin in front of him.

That situation was remedied by Starlin being launched across the room. It put him in front of the creature and suddenly he was its focus.

Makko darted back, acting on instinct as a tentacle swiped at him. He aimed the blaster and fired four quick shots. In the dark and dreary interior, each green flash was bright.

The creature snapped its mouth shut as one shot burned into the flesh of its mouth.

"Starlin!?"

Starlin blinked. The impact had stunned him, in addition to leaving junk pile-shaped bruises along his backside. Getting to his feet, he shook himself, then thrust back into the fray.

The creature’s mouth was shut, which made Starlin bolder. He bypassed the tentacles entirely, aiming a slash at the thing’s body. His lightsaber cut through its hide like butter—and out of its slit belly tumbled a familiar figure.

Starlin!Val Drutin cried cheerfully. “How perfectly awful to see you!

His tone was too genuine to be sarcastic. “What the hell is this thing?” Starlin asked, gesturing to the now dead beast. “How did it get aboard your ship?

Oh, I shuttled some passengers from Corellia to Coruscant recently. Turns out they were smugglers. This was their cargo.” Val gracefully rose to his feet, covered from head to toe in mucus and bile. “The smugglers left and said they would be back for their goods. When they never returned, I decided to investigate and wound up accidentally releasing the creature from the storage crate it had been stuffed into. Poor thing was starving. I didn’t count on getting eaten, but after it happened, I couldn’t help wondering what it would be like to be digested…

Okay, uh, well…” Starlin deactivated his blade, deciding not to ask the madman any more questions. “My apprentice needs parts for a new lightsaber.

Again?” Val asked, trying to clean his entire body with a single handkerchief.

Er, no—this is Makko Vyres, my second apprentice. Makko, this is Val Drutin.

Howdy,” Val greeted with a smile, waving his slimy handkerchief at Makko.

He breathed a sight if relief as Starlin rushed back into the fray. Makko had to aim his blaster to the side, afraid he might shoot his own mentor in the back.

He felt a swell of relief as Starlin cut through the monster, but then things went from the strange to the surreal.

Makko took a step back. His hand, and the blast it held, shook. He barely made it to a pile of junk to park his backside. He barely heard the rest of the conversation, glad to be sat down as he felt his world rock back and forth.

The strange addressed him.

Makko looked up, the blood having drained from his face, and offered a half-hearted wave.

"You okay, Makko?" Starlin asked. His Padawan didn't seem to be processing Val's grand entrance very well. He had tried to warn the kid about the mad dancer...

"Uh, we'll give you a chance to get cleaned up," Starlin said to Val. "In the meantime, I'll get rid of the body."

Val bowed, then skipped off to the 'fresher. Starlin took the time to drag the carcass of the dead creature out of the ship, allowing Makko a chance to recover from the surreal experience. By the time he finished, Val had returned wearing a dancer's all-black practice outfit.

"I moved my lightsaber collection in here," he explained, leading them to an unlabeled room that looked suspiciously like a utility closet. As soon as he opened the door, a mountain of fully-functional lightsabers and lightsaber parts tumbled out. They were jam-packed in the chamber, almost from floor to ceiling. "There's more space for them all, as you can see."

Starlin opened his mouth to protest - after all, he used to keep the collection in the much more spacious cargo hold - but then he remembered that Val was insane and it was useless, so he shut his trap. He turned to Makko. "Go ahead and take a look."

Makko didn't normally do anything as cartoonish as pinching his own skin. As he watched Starlin drag the creature out of the ship to deposit on the landing pad, he struggled to believe this could be reality.

"Go ahead and take a look."

"You cut him out of a monster. That was easting him," Makko said. His tone was flat and even.

The colour had returned to his face and he stood up without and sign of shaking. However, he was still clearly trying to process what had happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom