Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Time Lucky-ish

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
((Ha! Love languages and stuff. Sometimes I do that sort of thing, so I love it. Numbing spicy squid. :D ))

Tacitanya rested her chin in her hands, elbows propped on the tabletop. Asemir seemed to be a little more comfortable now, and his story of this Pran'kor woman was intriguing. People still fight with swords these days? The bounty hunter may have been older, but certainly he was not that old. What secret society might he have been a part of? And might he possibly still belong to such an organization?

But now it was time to talk about herself, apparently. Taci could do that--perhaps too well. She endeavored to limit her babbling, though. No need to tell more of her story than she already had likely bored Asemir with. "I don't know quite how to explain it, actually," she started, continuing to swirl her finger about the tablecloth. "But you know how you..."

Her lekku twitched as she stalled, trying to conceive of the right way to describe how she went about her art. "Well..." she resumed, slowly selecting her words, "You know how you can tell where someone is in the room without actually seeing them or anything? I mean... You know what I'm talking about, right?" Yeah, now that she was forced to really think about it, maybe she was crazy after all.

Aware that Asemir would probably find her answer absurd, she focused on her water glass and nervously avoided eye contact. "Well, that's how I know where to paint..." she timidly muttered in conclusion.

[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

PAGE TURNER! :p

OOC: FYI, I’ll be away on business starting tomorrow Tuesday until Friday evening. I should be able to reply and check the forums, but if my reply is delayed by a few days, you’ll know. :)

And, hooray, page 2! Hopefully the second of many more pages!

IC:

Yes! Asemir wanted to voice his elation, but knew that while Taci’s response was a good indication that his hunch was correct, it was hardly confirming. There could be a hundred reasons why she possessed extrasensory skills and unusual aptitude with art. She could simply be naturally talented, or it might be a quirk of twi’lek physiology he didn’t know about. But he was certainly on the right track.

“I think I do know what you mean,” the Forgotten said in an encouraging manner after sensing Taci’s own hesitation and doubt. He added a smile, a genuine smile that was fueled by his excitement of having gambled and won. “Some things just come naturally, without you really having to think about it, or learn it in the traditional sense. You know that master painter I mentioned earlier? She learned to paint from that same special talent, from that sense that you’re describing. Painting was normal for her, she created her art without any instruction.”

He paused, thought a moment. Describing the Force, or sar’kera as his people called it, to a non-Force user was always difficult, especially when one was trying to be discreet. It was a mythical topic, buried under so much misinformation that what the lay person knew about the Force was arguably more fiction than fact. And he wasn’t sure how Taci would react to this topic. The Force had been the driving, well, force behind eons of death, destruction, and violence. It could be a touchy subject.

So, how could he describe the Force to her? Asemir took a sip of water to clear his mind. Well, why not just be blunt? After all, he was one for one so far. Why not go for two of two?

“Do you know of the Force?” he asked, wondering how she’d respond to his question.

[member="Tacitanya"]

Beowoof

((Finally back in a place to get things rolling! Sorry for the extensive wait!))

Tacitanya was about to snatch at the bread in the basket when stuff got real. The tyrian twi'lek abandoned her reaching and leaned forward, arms anchored to the table and cheeks glued to the palms of her hands; eyes wide and donating her full attention. Asemir continued to speak admirably of this artist he had known, and Taci was getting the feeling that maybe the art was not the only thing he had liked about her. So, to be compared with someone special like that seemed... special.

She nodded ever so slightly to Asemir's sudden question about the all-mysterious 'Force'. Who had not heard of such a grand, mythical concept? "I've heard of it, yeah," Taci confirmed, scratching at her nose. Why had he asked her this? "I even met a Jedi once on Coruscant. I never got to see anything magical, though. I bet it's not really anything close to what people make it out to be."

[member="Tacitanya"]

OOC: No problem at all! I hope everything worked out. :)

IC:
“Well,” Asemir began, relieved to see that Taci seemed to be interested, if a bit skeptical of the Force, “there’s a pretty wide range of what the Force can do. There’s certainly a lot that’s magical, impossible really. I’m sure you’ve seen the holovids or heard the stories of what the Jedi and Sith can do. It’s all very…” He tried to find the proper word. “Impressive. Mystifying? I’ve seen Jedi masters destroy platoons of battle droids with just their minds. Once, I fought against a Sith lord who raised an army of the undead. That was magical but not in a good way.” Asemir shuddered at the memory.

“Anyways, the movies and all, they show the flashy parts of the Force, the things that catch people’s attention. But the Force goes so much deeper than that. It manifests itself in so many more ways, and most of those ways can be pretty mundane. Sure, they’re all spectacular individually, but when compared to breathing fire and raising the dead, they get glossed over.”

The Forgotten took a sip of water. “I once knew someone who could speak any language. Every language. It wasn’t flashy, it wouldn’t make the news, but it was the Force. Another person, she could repair any mechanical object or computer system. She knew electronics and technology instinctively. And it was from the Force.” He was surprised at the tightness of his heart. Even after so many years, he still missed them. Nycha and Shyd.

Asemir focused his mind and watched Taci closely. “What I’m saying is, the Force is behind a lot of things. A lot of talents. A lot of skills that are otherwise unexplained. Skills and talents like painting.”

Beowoof

Asemir was showing some supernatural theorist side to him that Taci had not quite expected. The Force had always seemed like a ghost story to her--maybe she believed it, but there was nothing really tangible nor evident from her experience to support it. Still, so many people had talked about it that there had to be at least a bit of truth amidst all the myth.

And did she trust Asemir? She had so far. He did buy her painting and was footing the bill for this meal, after all. Could be suspicious--except that he was going on a tangent about the Force. Who does that unless they are at least somewhat serious? The young woman continued to listen to his tales intently, nodding absently while she processed and analyzed all the things he said. Speaking other languages sounded amazing. Tearing apart armies just by thinking sounded too far-fetched.

But he also skimmed over mechanical things and not long after returned to the subject of painting, and Tacitanya was beginning to suspect the driftto this entire deviation. She shook her head emphatically. "You're trying to hint at something, aren't you?" Taci was not the most perceptive of people when it came to dialogue, but this instance was not too difficult to decipher, considering the chain of events of this evening. "You think talents are the Force doing stuff? It's that simple?"

"Not all talents," Asemir clarified. "Some people are just better at certain things than others. But sometimes, those talents are truly amazing, or can't be explained by natural aptitude. My friend who could speak in any language? Sure, some people can pick up foreign languages quicker than others, but she could speak fluently without having even heard of the language. That's not natural talent. That's the Force."

The Forgotten stopped as the server returned with their food. He set the dishes heaped with steaming pasta and seafood in front of them and bade them a good meal. Asemir took a deep breath of the spicy sauce and smiled. "This smells delicious."

As he worked the pasta with his fork, Asemir continued. "You said you picked up your painting skill without any formal training. It just came to you. Has anything else happened like that, where you learned something complex through intuition?" He recalled that Taci had shown him a police scanner she had put together. "Maybe your tinkering? Modifying electronics isn't a simple task. Or what about luck and fortune? Have there been times when you were astoundingly lucky? Things shouldn't have gone your way, but they did, mainly because you wished it to go your way?"

[member="Tacitanya"]

Beowoof

Tacitanya barely noticed her meal as the waiter slid the plate before her, though the pungent, sharp fumes rising on the retiring thermals eventually bit at her nose and awakened her hunger as soon as Asemir called attention to it. Whatever this was, it was completely foreign and not quite what she was expecting. But it seemed passable--perhaps really good. But she neglected to eat of it while absorbed in this odd but intriguing turn of the conversation.

"Well, I did read a little bit about that stuff," the twi'lek confessed when her new friend mentioned her mechanical aptitude. A silly smile spread to her cheeks as she reminisced about the beginnings of her tinkering. "I actually learned to read just so I could figure out a couple things. Like how to make a battery." That had been a fun learning experience. She recalled the hands-on way she had figured out that one should not keep too tight a grasp on the ion bridge.

"I don't know if you could say I'm lucky, though..." she murmured, twirling her fork absently in her food. "I'm not here because I want to be. I mean--on Nar Shaddaa! You're spiff. I'm enjoying this dinner." Shut up, girl.

"But when I'm doing my other stuff..." she continued in a whisper, as if filling him in on a secret. Actually, that was exactly what she was doing. "I can figure out where everyone is nearby. I don't even have to look. That's not normal, is it?" Of course it was not. But confirmation was always nice. She never got much of that in her life.

Asemir smiled at her question. As if he was an appropriate judge of normalcy. "No, it's not normal for most people. But someone with the Force? Perfectly normal." He paused and sent out some feelers of sar'kera. "There's a couple three tables behind me, to my left. A human and something else I don't recognize. The human is eating some kind of fish. He's agitated. His emotions are fluctuating rapidly. I'm guessing his date isn't going so well."

He said all of this without looking away from Taci. "There's also a table with a Wookie and a Rodian. Can you sense them? Can you tell where they are?"

[member="Tacitanya"]

Beowoof

She had to fight the urge to physically turn her head and look around the room for the Wookiee and Rodian. This seemed to be a test of sorts; a challenge. Taci had never shied away from difficult things, but sometimes she felt like people asked too much. Not that Asemir had bad intentions, but he seemed to be tossing her in the deep end if he was really expecting her to identify the two in question.

The twi'lek could certainly pick out individual bodies. That was not entirely unusual for her, though it took extreme concentration, just like it was taking now. But how would she know if she did find them? She had never been able to judge which species produced these inexplicable signals. All she could tell was that this room was filled with people. This is a little ridiculous... Like, impossible. Or was it?

The short woman revealed a grin as she figured out another way to pinpoint a Wookiee. Undoubtedly, he was the most massive creature in the room, so once she determined the approximate location of the largest presence, Tacitanya took a gamble and assumed the person's smaller counterpart would be the Rodian. Hopefully. "I'd say they're about two rows back, and in the booth to the west?" Yeah? Maybe? Possibly? She hoped she did not disappoint.

Or maybe she was not Force-sensitive, after all. Perhaps she was just a really lucky girl.

The ingr'nysk nodded. "That's correct. But, you're probably wondering, this is all coincidence, right? After all, you could have noticed them on the way in and subconsciously noted their presence. Or maybe you just guessed? I can't say because I can't read your mind, but let me ask you this, how did you know that there's a Wookie and Rodian back there?"

As exciting as this was, Asemir couldn't help but wonder what he would do if Tacitanya was one hundred percent for-sure Force sensitive. He was pretty confident that she was, but what then? Would he train her? Would he take her to someone who could? Did he know anyone who could train her? He realized he hadn't planned that far ahead. Or, more importantly, did she want to be trained? He had no intention of yanking her from her life and forcing a new life upon her, as had happened with him. If this was something she wanted, then he would do what he could to help her develop her skill with the Force. But, if not, then he'd have to walk away.

It was something he'd have to ask her. Give her that choice, the choice denied from him.

[member="Tacitanya"]

OOC:
Wow, we've been at this for over 3 months now!

Beowoof

Taci breathed in excitedly, starting to realize that maybe Asemir was right about this Force thing. Not that she had really played the game in the way he had probably been expecting. But the likely truth was beginning to settle on her, and she had no idea what to do about this. It seemed as if she had won the Force lottery somewhere along the way in her birth, no matter how broken that situation had been. The twi'lek wished her mother might have been able to know, somehow.

The young woman swiveled her neck back and forth, as if stretching for some strenuous exercise, nervous about whether or not she would provide the 'wrong' answer to the bounty hunter. "Well..." How to make it sound more impressive without lying? Giving a more favorable account was a bit different from a dishonest one in her book. "I just kind of thought about the 'weight' I was feeling around. And I could just tell that the biggest guy was definitely a Wookiee." She paused as her lekku flinched, feeling a little guilty for stretching the truth, even if by the tiniest of margins. "So I kind of guessed it was the Wookiee, and the Rodian was next to him."

OOC: My, how the galaxy has changed over the course of a meal. :D

OOC: You changed your avatar!

IC:
"That's pretty good. It's how the Force works, at least for those who haven't mastered it yet. It's hard to tell exactly what the Force is telling you. It can be pretty vague. But with training, you'll learn to interpret the vague shapes, and you'll get to the point where the vagueness will be replaced with clarity."

Asemir paused, taking a sip of water, his food momentarily forgotten. "You obviously have some sensitivity to the Force. I don't know how much, but it's something you can develop with training. You have potential."

He looked at her, wondering if she was interested. He also wondered just how much potential she had. All ingr'nysk were Force sensitives, but only a handful could truly wield it with any degree of mastery. How would she fare? He didn't know.

"Is that something you want? To be trained? It's a romantic notion, what with all the stories of the Jedi, but I won't lie to you, Taci. It's a very challenging path. Not everyone picks up the Force easily. And there are always pitfalls. But if you want to be trained, to learn how to harness that talent, I will do what I can to guide you."

[member="Tacitanya"]

Beowoof

OOC: Was so excited when I found the perfect base image, but it took me a few hours of my amateur photomanipulation just to change her color! :D

IC:

Yes! The twi'lek nearly jumped out of her seat at Asemir's initial proposal, excited about hearing how 'special' she was and that there was more to be had. And how many people had this opportunity? It seemed like it would be such a shame to waste if it was indeed so rare of a thing to be blessed with. As far as she knew, nothing about the Force had hurt her yet. What could be so terrible about it in the future?

But she withheld her jubilation and suddenly felt rather somber, and frowned at her meal as she stirred through it with her fork. She still had a question: Why was there reason to be excited about training in this capacity? What could possibly become of it? "But," Taci mumbled in search of clarification, "What exactly will this training do? Is this... feeling things the only thing all this Force stuff is good for?" Would all these trials Asemir told of be to the simple ends of sensing things easier? That did not sound like it could be worth a lot of pain.

OOC: It looks good! If you hadn't pointed it out, I wouldn't have been able to tell that it was photo manipulated.

Hrm... I should find a better avatar for Asemir. But that takes too much time, and with him being a custom species, it's rather difficult to find a suitable picture. I either have to commission one or create one. One costs money and the other talent. Both of which are in short supply. :D

IC:
"The short answer is that the training can lead to all sorts of things. Sensing is only one facet of the Force. There's telekinesis and telepathy. There's physical enhancements like increasing your endurance and strength. There's healing and sorcery. And there's more mundane things like speaking in tongues or increasing your natural aptitude with machinery. And the long answer is, well, that was a longer answer than I had intended." Asemir paused. Again, honesty. "The actual long answer is that I don't know, actually. Just like how there's so much variety within the Force, there's also a wide spectrum of innate talent. A very wide spectrum."

He pointed at himself. "Take my people for example. We call ourselves ingr'nysk, or literally 'people of Ingr'. You've probably not seen many like me because we hail from a star empire in a very distant corner of the galaxy. In any case, all of my people are Force sensitive. All of them. But that doesn't mean their talent goes very far. Ninety-nine point nine percent of ingr'nysk only have a tiny bit of Force ability. All it means is that we're a little bit faster than non-Force sensitives. We also have the innate ability to feel other people's emotions. No amount of training is going to make the typical ingr'nysk capable of shooting lightning from his fingertips or lift a freighter with his mind."

"And then there are the point-oh-one percent. Like me." Asemir wondered how much he should reveal about his own training, his own life. Decades ago, while he was still in service to the Holy Emperor, it would have been anathema to even consider talking about his training at the Temple. But that was a lifetime ago, a figurative and literal different life. There was no Inquisition to track him down, no Temple Masters to hold him accountable. He was a free agent. It was a relieving yet saddening reality, not to be of something greater.

"Among the ingr'nysk, there are those known as the Forgotten. We are so sensitive to the Force that we are considered a danger to society. Early in our history, the Forgotten nearly wiped out our civilization. So, now, all newborns are screened and any who are found to have significant talent are taken away." He glanced away, ashamed of the truth about his nation. "Those newborns are tested, and those not found worthy, they are slain. Thousands of infants are killed."

He looked up again. "The remaining are trained in the ways of the Force. They are the ones that can match what you see in the holovids, the ones that are most similar to your Jedi and Sith. I had a squadmate who wasn't physically capable of speaking, but she could manipulate computers and machinery as if they were a natural extension of her body. I had another who could heal any wound or injury, no matter how grievous. Another who could speak any language in the galaxy. And another who, while blind, could fight off dozens of people, unarmed." Asemir's eyes brightened as he recalled Shyd, Untai, Nycha, and Lycis. His old friends. Family. All gone now, dead or virtually dead. "That was all because of the Force."

The Forgotten took a sip of water and grinned. "That's a very long answer. What I'm getting at is the training can take you incredibly far and let you do things you can only imagine. Or it will simply hone what you can do now. It all depends on your innate ability and talent with the Force. Without trying, there's no way to tell what you're capable of."

[member="Tacitanya"]

Beowoof

The twi'lek gave an apologetic nod, consuming the significance of her new friend's history. "My culture isn't the best, either. I'm actually really lucky, because I was supposed to be a slave." Sometimes you get that awakening--the one that notifies you that maybe your life is not as miserable as would seem. Yes, her mother had been involved in an indecent trade--though not of her own accord--and had passed away before Taci even had a chance to really become a woman, but that seemed to pale in comparison to the experience Asemir must have had. She wondered if 'family' was even something he could truly imagine. At least Taci had had a mother. Asemir was literally Forgotten.

He had made it here. They both had. A bounty hunter and a thief--the good kinds, as they would like to believe. "Well..." She glanced at her dish; glanced around the restaurant; glanced at the door to the kitchen where she may or may not have 'borrowed' one of those heat sanitizer devices. There was nothing wrong with adventure. "I guess something needs to change sometime."

Her lavender eyes settled back on the ingr'nysk (as he called his people) and she clutched at her lucky necklace, unsure of what she was hoping for. Maybe guidance in making her decision, though her mind was quite made by now. "Sounds spiff. I'll do it."

"Excellent!" Asemir's joy at Taci's acceptance of his offer was tempered by her comment that she had been destined to be a slave. He forced the reactionary anger away. He had spent much of his military career attempting to eradicate slavery from the Xedael Empire. It had been a futile effort, and it still rankled him know that such atrocious treatment of others existed in the galaxy.

"So, the way I was trained, there would be some formal master-apprentice relationship. The same is true with the Sith, and I assume the Jedi as well. However, I think our situation is quite different, so something informal is probably better." The Forgotten picked as his dish of noodles and thought for a moment. "This is actually going to be a new experience for me. I haven't trained someone in an informal setting before. But, my first thought is that I would help you hone some of your innate talents and I'd teach you the basic techniques of the Force. After that, we can take on some bounties together. We'll use those jobs to allow you some practical training.

"Taci, what do you hope to get out of the training? Lightsabers? Fighting techniques? Something different?"

[member="Tacitanya"]

Beowoof

Excitement seeming to sweep over the table as Asemir began to outline the training process, Tacitanya opened a wide grin and took a couple generous bites of her meal--followed by a deep drink of water. That was a bit hasty. She had forgotten the heat of the food.

Anyway, the mention of lightsabers ignited fantastic thoughts in the twi'lek, as it did with many people who were familiar with even the smallest bits of Jedi lore. She nodded ecstatically and her lekku twitched on reflex. "Lightsabers would be spiff!" And yet, even as the words escaped her mouth, she wondered what she would do with one. She had never used her gun on anyone before and wondered if holding a lightsaber could really be any more appealing when the time came to use it. It was a weapon, after all--and a potentially brutal one, at that. But even if it was irrational, she wanted it, even if it was simply for the legendary appeal.

"I mean, what is all this about? I'm not sure what I should train for. How do I know what I can do or what I will need?" Taci bit her lip, pondering over what exactly might be possible with the Force, based on what Asemir had listed out. "That machine thing--could I do with that? Or could I do everything? How will I know? Do you know?" So many questions, she had no idea where to start.

"Lightsabers, I can do that," Asemir said with a hint of a smile. "My training was focused on the songblade but I've learned to master the lightsaber during my time with other Force factions. It's something I can certainly teach you." He sensed a mix of excitement and hesitation from her, which he chalked up to the usual anticipation of wielding such a legendary weapon.

"As for what this is all about, I just wanted to get a feel for what you'd like to focus your training on. Training in the Force isn't so different from taking courses at some university. You have a focus for your training, whether that's from your own interest or innate talent. You're then taught a whole bunch of lessons and techniques to hone your basic Force ability as well as developing your skills in that area.

"Often times, the decision isn't entirely up to the apprentice. The master may decide for her what she will learn. But, since I'm here to teach and guide you, I'd rather leave it entirely up to you and your own development. If there's something I can't teach you, I'll find someone who can."

He took a drink from his glass, both to wet his lips and to give him a moment to think. "Shyd is my squadmate and friend who has that innate connection with machinery. We've spoken many times about how she's able to do what she does. I don't think we ever nailed it down to any specific training techniques, but we decided that a lot has to do with her calling, and the rest was application of the basic Force principles. Shyd being Shyd did try her best to catalog her technique. She even wrote some instructions, just in case she ever took an apprentice. I'll give a copy to you once we get back to my ship. It'll give you an idea of where to begin, and we'll go from there.

"For now, my plan is once we're finished with dinner, we can gather your belongings, and then you can accompany me as I turn in this bounty. I'll have some instructions along the way, so it'll be a good first-time practice for you."

Asemir paused, thinking back to Taci's earlier comments. "Does that sound spiff?"

[member=Tacitanya]

OOC:
Yay, adventure! Hope you had a good Christmas!

I've got no specific plan, just some generic outline of what we can do, though the outline comes to an end in like.... two scenes. Haha. So, as we RP, feel free to throw surprises or whatever you want. :D

Beowoof

There was little hesitation now, her lavender eyes sparkling intensely as she realize just how serious this all was. Adventure and lightsabers and doing crazy things with machinery--even if it was not certain if that was her true talent--sounded so fantastic. The twi'lek hardly desired to finish her dinner now, lest they delay a minute longer. Instead, however, she began to scoop up the remainder of her meal--perhaps rudely, though she had not been ingrained with too many manners--and chew as quickly as her slightly yellowed teeth could.

There were so many reasons he had brought forth that indicated that she should go with him. In the end, however, the winning argument was one she had produced for herself: There was nothing for her here. She was a street rat and a thief, and would eventually wind up getting killed like a street rat and a thief if she continued living that way. And there was little choice for her besides. Unless someone else came by and praised her artwork like Asemir had--and that was the first time anyone had truly taken much notice--she would continue having to scrounge for herself just as she always had, considered only slightly above the level of the slave her mother had been.

And now she had the opportunity to not only leave this life, but achieve a life almost no one could ever dream for themselves. This was as once-in-a-lifetime as once-in-a-lifetime gets. So, did that sound spiff? She nodded emphatically. "Yep! Totally."

OOC:
Going to do a little "fast forwarding" here. Let me know if there are any issues; if so, I will gladly edit the post.

IC:
"Excellent!" Asemir replied. This was going to be an interesting adventure, he decided.

They finished up dinner fairly quickly. The server asked the requisite question about dessert, but that was declined. Asemir found that he wasn't in the mood, and he suspected Taci was far too excited about the impending future to be concerned with some sugary way to end the meal. The dishes were cleared, the bill was paid, and Asemir left a generous tip.

The walk back to Taci's home went by faster than the walk to the restaurant, and was filled mostly with silence. That suited Asemir just fine as he found himself running through various training scenarios in his mind. He quickly reached the conclusion that he would have to toss out his own personal experiences. They were harsh, brutal, cruel even, and were not appropriate here. No, the methods would not work, but the lessons were certainly sound.

Where to start though? If Taci had been a formal apprentice, he'd start her on physical fitness and mind exercises. But was that the right course? Well, Taci was probably physically fit because of her life on the streets. And she was pretty sharp. No, he decided, he needed to find out just how talented the twi'lek actually was in the Force.

As Asemir considered this, a plan came together. The lessons would start immediately, while he turned in this bounty. Actually, he thought, that would work perfectly. Collecting the bounty would not be a dangerous endeavor, and would be an excellent way for him to get a feel for her innate abilities.

They approached the area where the two had met just a few hours ago. "Well, I'll wait here while you gather your belongings. Pack whatever you'd like, but in my experience, I found mementos and items with special meaning to be the most important. Stuff like equipment can always be purchased, but it's the personal keepsakes that will keep you going when things get tough."

[member="Tacitanya"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom