Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Thinking By The Fire

Objective: Write a Book
Tags: Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida

His bes'runi armor hummed and faintly shone, neatly placed on an armor stand in the corner, a rack holding various bladed weapons from a dozen cultures for the swordsman. On the desk near his hand sat a runi tome'tayl, a soft melody floating on the air that even the keenest ears could scarcely hear. The Quartermaster The Quartermaster had come to him and asked of him a momentous task he had almost refused. But as they had conversed, he had begun to see that... If not he to do this task, then who?

A beskar nibbed holo-quill sat in his hand as he wrote across a battered durasteel dataslate. Old books, scrolls, and even data and holocrons were strewn about his personal quarters, as were other dataslates with half-finished entries. By the bags and dark circles around the amber like eyes of the Iron Father, and the caff pot long cold and tin-cup next to it empty but stained from many pours, he had been at it a while. Even his signature cigarra had long burnt out and the cherry gone cold, half-smoked and idle in the ashtray. Food sat to a side table, cold Tiingilar and cassius tea, the spicy soup with a sheen of oil and fat on it almost congealed. It may have been there days, or for certain hours.

He had left orders not to be disturbed without reason to the guards outside his hall, and had set about the task of reviving the past.

FUTURE PORTENTS

If it were not for the Mandokarla's information network Runi would have been forced to express her displeasure in public after the fact at being left out of a certain task doled out by The Quartermaster The Quartermaster . It wasn't who they had assigned to the effort, but that an order chiefly interested in the matter learned of it second hand.

Well, Runi wasn't going to waste time going to the Quartermaster first. She would handle that matter later. Besides, it would be more enjoyable to reach out to the one that had been engaged on the subject; they did have a personal interest in such matters. Manda be praised some academic hadn't been saddled with the responsibility. There was more to the matter than words on a page.

As usual, the Shaman strode through the hallways wearing her armor, but not the helmet, and only her swords for protection. Her hazel eyes fell upon the guards as they stood attentively beside the door through which sat the person of interest.

She stopped before between the two and pivoted to face them. Dutifully, she intoned, "Runi Kuryida, Shaman, Speaker of the Mandokarla, would speak with Alor Mareel concerning the future of the Mandalorian people." Ordinarily, she didn't throw titles around; Runi often just slipped into a meeting, maybe did a few chants to banish evil spirits, listened, and gave consul when it was needed. Today, however, the guards indicated more ceremony or authority might be needed not to be told to leave straight away.

Not that refusal would deter Runi in the slightest. Though it might be less upsetting if Ijaat knew she were coming.

The te'r rekr would notice the presence of Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida first, rise from it's litter of padded mattresses in the corner and come to stand between Ijaat and the door, a low growl in the back of it's throat alerting him to the noise of Runi announcing herself, and he reached over affectionately to scratch between the ears of the giant sun-wolf, feeling the heat radiating off it. As the door opened, the wolf bared teeth until eyes fell on the shaman.

"Solus, udesiir... This one is a friend..."

Though not sentient, the words were spoken in command, and the beast padded to the side and sat, eyeing the shaman and dwarfing most in the room, being fully grown and able to be ridden by Ijaat should the elder wish a mount for battle.

"Runi... Unexpected... But come in, shut the door behind you... How can I help the Speaker?"

His quill had stopped, and his attention was on the woman in front of him. One he was coming to know and respect quite deeply, even if their viewpoints often differed.

Last edited:

FUTURE PORTENTS

Runi stepped through the door and stood at the opposite end of the room as Ijaat addressed his furry companion. The Shaman's hazel eyes turned calmly toward the creature despite its defensive posture. There was neither the desire to harm Ijaat nor disregard for the sun-wolf itself as some might have been predisposed. Even the creatures of the galaxy should not be ignored. All was part of the Manda and should be treated as such.

Her attention swung back to Ijaat as the large beast turned to find a perch nearby. Just as quickly, the man addressed his unexpected guest.

Slowly Runi turned just enough to usher the door shut behind her without moving from where she'd taken stance. Once shut, she met Ijaat's gaze fully.

"Curious whispers reached my ear of late."
A small smile graced her lips as she clasped her hands behind her back. "Someone with a rich history of contemplating the soul of the Mando'ade had been approached to aid the Enclave in enshrining such things in modern memory. As another interested in the well-being of our people, I hoped to find this person and offer my services, should they prove useful." Of course, Runi knew it was Ijaat, but there was no need to be too blunt and make it sound like a demand. There were times Runi could be cryptic as any Shaman might, but her words in this instance should be quite easy to follow. After all, she did want to be involved; it would be foolish to make it too difficult to realize as much.

With Solus quieted, Ijaat took in the form of Runi as the shaman stood before him. Somehow, every time the Manda twisted his fates the Speaker was there, advising and guiding. After the gala with the Galactic Alliance, he had not seen her. But they had been as ships in the night, passing near as often as not. The Quartermaster The Quartermaster had even suggested he contact her for guidance on the undertaking as they had discussed it. Such had been the fury of inspiration that he had begun and quite forgotten all us. But he must admit, her interruption was a welcome one.

"You have found him, and absent his manners. I apologize.. I meant to seek you out for counsel but... Sometimes my mind grows too focused, and I forget myself. You have my apologies. I should not have taken so long to call on you. Not for counsel, or as a friend."

FUTURE PORTENTS

Runi smiled as Ijaat confessed to being the man she 'sought.' With her chin lowered a few degrees and her head tilted a bit to the left, she listened as the man graciously apologized for the oversight of not reaching out. "There is no need to apologize, Ijaat." In fact, Runi counseled people apologies were needless in all facets of life -- acknowledgment and correction were what people truly sought in rectifying a situation. "One cannot berate another for being passionate in the well-being of their people. Enough zeal to perhaps get lost in their work."

"It would be an honor to offer whatever counsel I might on this journey, if it would be of benefit or pleasure to do so. If nothing else, to keep you company as you toil away. Those barring the gates,"
the door, "outside certainly seem intent on keeping anyone short of the Manda-made-manifest from visiting you." A little good cheer to allay any concern she'd taken it as a personal affront not to be called in personally.

Objective: Speak Freely
Theme
"They do take themselves seriously, but it is also the fact I grabbed two rather green commandos and gave them the job over veterans. They would probably fight you themselves if you hadn't been on the shortlist, so to speak. I had hoped you'd show, if I'm honest. Our conversations always run too brief, but feature large in my mind for a long while after. Damnn the duties that keep such people as you from my side more often..."

Seeming to realize he was rambling, he moved aside some papers and other sundries from a chair after rising, and pushed aside a picture of what looked like a much younger him and two redheaded boys, the younger him pinned to the ground as if defeated with the 'victorious' boys laughing at whoever took the picture. He barely paused, but did smile faintly as he touched the frame of it, and then offered the seat to his visitors.

"Sit... We can catch up, and be properly friendly, then back to work. I feel as if my eyes would bleed if I wrote another line anyway."

FUTURE PORTENTS

Runi smiled before she stepped over to take the offered seat. "You could always let me know when you need to talk, Ijaat. It is the Mandokarla's mandate to aid those in need. So long as you don't try to monopolize my time." The hazel-eyed woman chuckled quietly. As Speaker she really couldn't be kept away from Resa for extended periods of time; there were many to counsel. That didn't preclude occasional long periods of time, however, if circumstances required.

"I too have noticed our conversations tend to be interrupted, or the demands of duty intrude. So, before those matters arise again, perhaps we should just talk. We rarely had time to get to know one another at length." Their conversations usually were a bit more personal than formal, but they'd indulged in official duties together or in close proximity to one another. "And if it keeps your eyes from bleeding how could I refuse?"

The dark haired woman sat with her hands flat on the arm rested and back straight, but not with the strain of someone sitting with a metal beam for a spine. One must be poised to launch into battle, but not paranoid that an enemy lurked in every shadow.

Theme
Touching the runi tome'tayl briefly, Ijaat eyed the picture he had moved as the sensations of Mandalore washed over him. The memories and longing for home. The Enclave did well to divorce from the idea of a homeworld, but for those like him, perhaps especially him given his role in the events, the scouring and cataclysm clung to them like a cloak of grief. Sighing, he took a drink from what he found was almost stone-cold caff, and grimaced as he sat the cup down with a shake of his head.

"Guess I've been in here too long again. Caff's gone cold, and the soup greasy. I probably look like hell too. Haven't shaved nigh on a week."

Grunting, he let his gauntleted hand trail over the documents and slates on his desk, smiling as he spoke and remembered the teachings of his father, the meaning behind always wearing armor. The idea of never removing one's helmet ever was a silly bit of zealotry. But often Ijaat was never without some form of one of the many suits he had fashioned for himself, and true to form gauntlets and gloves and a crimson flak vest complimented simple Adumarian style steel-capped knee-boots and a set of slate grey fatigues. Honor was borne by a readiness to do what was needed, and the first of that for a Mandalorian was the readiness to meet challenges in war.

"It's been refreshing though, to have a purpose again. Even if it is just an old man rambling to empty pages. But tell me, you don't seem the type to step away from your duties so personally just for something like this. I'd have expected a message or one of your 'sticks to my skull in loving rebuke. Am I just that interesting, the Slayer of Mandalore such an enigma, that you keep showing up to make me think with your comments that pierce too cleanly? It can't be my dancing, I've two left feet."

Relaxing as he spoke, his words were almost more formal now but showed an educated mind perhaps more than they had before. Decades of war on dozens of planets had seen him become a chameleon of sorts. Who he was, how he acted, shifted to fit the needs of the moment, and rarely showed the core of himself. And people expected rough and crass out of men like Ijaat, so often that was displayed. Not eloquence and intellect. Less so gentle humor, like his dancing comment. Truth be told, in this go-around at life, he had been shedding those expectations and lifting more with his mind than his legs. The reaction was pleasingly baffled by most. Most, excepting a few like the one standing in his quarters now. She seemed to flow in conversation and thought in an eerily similar manner to the Iron Father himself.

FUTURE PORTENTS

"I wasn't going to say anything." The smile returned easily to her lips after the light-hearted remark about Ijaat looking a touch gruff. No, she wouldn't say anything to call attention to it initially; perhaps later with a subtle comment to have him look in a mirror and self-realize (as he'd already done). Appearances could speak of deeper issues, but appearances alone were not her concern. Far more important matters set themselves on Ijaat's shoulders.

She watched silently as his fingertips brushed across the items on his desk. Yes, there were a great many thoughts behind those eyes. Some the man himself may not have given attention toward yet. Inklings that would surface later. For some things it was not yet their time; and yet for others their time had long since passed. Life was not without its cruel jokes.

Runi drew in a deep breath after Ijaat had questioned her personal appearance now of all times. There was no need to rush into the conversation. A hasty reply would not bring any more meaning to her thoughts; in fact, it might cause some to be missed. "Perhaps it is your dancing, Ijaat." The Speaker might not go out of her way to be intentionally cryptic, but she didn't like saying the least Mandalorianly possible either. "You could use a partner to help weather the storm. It is what I do. Who I am. Though most rush off to battle or a grand cause of youth. Always in a hurry as though the galaxy itself were coming undone." The recent arrival of countless planet-ending weapons not withstanding. "You, still being an able and cunning warrior, there is time to indulge."

It wasn't that Ijaat was sitting idly by, but he wasn't throwing himself at literally every fight he could. Too many these days sought help only to aggravate the wounds long before they'd come to terms with the injury, let alone its scars. Once, Ijaat likely did the same, but he'd survived. Now he picked his battles; which left time between for less violent pursuits.

"There's a... connection, you and I. Being the case, I thought you could use the company. And I wouldn't mind philosophizing you asleep while I'm here." Runi nodded slightly at the man's latest, comprehensive work. The sort of business and pleasure that actually worked. There were always things to talk about. "Of course, I could always leave you to your work," a pause long enough for someone to begin feeling the muscles of one's jaw loosen to part their lips, "but I'm far too obstinate for that. After coming all this way? No, Ijaat, I'm afraid you're stuck with me until I'm satisfied we've done more than talk about official business."

Theme
"There's a... connection, you and I."

She couldn't have known, but Aerin had said those very words to him so many decades, almost a century ago in fact... Just two young hot-bloods defying the stars then. Memories flickered behind eyes like a hawks, and for a moment he had nearly lost the thread of conversation. He came back to it as a smile cracked his features almost the same time as she spoke her last words, and when he next spoke, there was an odd laxity to his words, and a slack in the corner of his eyes.

"You are most welcome, with or without the pretext of work to be done. Or dancing. Though I suspect I could cut a jig that might keep up with you, with enough tihaar. I have spent weeks on this, writing... Tell me... How is such a boon companion as yourself doing? You are not the only one of us who thinks of the other often with concern, and hope."

He let the words hang, considering what they meant even as he said them, and realizing he wasn't entirely sure. He barely knew this shaman, but felt he could trust her. Implicitly. And trust was worth more than the most precious ores with him. The Force. The Manda. His gut. Something told him that she was one he could rely on, be fond of, and count close when the need arose.

Must be getting soft in my old age...

FUTURE PORTENTS

Runi laughed softly at Ijaat's offer to dance if he was inebriated enough. Dangerous words. She wouldn't go easy on him just because he had a few shots of tihaar; and people of mystic ways were known to be fleet of foot.

The laughter drifted off as the man switched to a serious inquiry about her own well-being. The woman's hazel eyes regarded him for a heartbeat. "As well as can be expected." Runi rolled her shoulders slightly. "I appreciate your concern, Ijaat. I care a great deal for the well-being of our people in ways other than warfare, which exacts its toll." It was not easy being in so many places at once. "Not everyone worries for the fate of those that worry for them."

"I've wandered among vod for well longer than I can remember, and there are pupil that study diligently at Resa, but my responsibilities instill a certain distance from others."
Runi regarded Ijaat levelly. "So I, too, had a hope coming here -- that it was not merely the Speaker or a Shaman that came to visit you today." What that could mean was left open for interpretation. It could be something as humble an open conversation without fear of reprisal or sentiments being echoed outside the room. Though there were far more succinct ways of saying that if that encompassed the entirety of hope.

Theme
Something in her last words as they faded touched through even his thick skull. More than the.. OH! His eyes widened a bit as he looked at her, taking her in. There was little that could be called 'soft' on her. But then again, the Iron Father had become like unto the iron of Mandalore he was famed for shaping. Hard and unyielding. And usually, he found Runi the same. But her words wound and rambled a bit this time, and for a moment he turned them over in his mind. Then he spoke.

"Position is not being. I see you at this moment. We can put aside the labels and be in this room if that is what you seek. No Speaker. No Resa. No Iron Father or Alor of the House Mereel. Just two earnest minds finding what solace they can in the other. If you weren't more than a title, you wouldn't be in this room"

Reaching out across the table, in a rare moment of open display of feeling anything approaching tender emotion, he touched her forearm with a callused hand stained with ink and burned by sparks of the forge and worse.

"I would rather be in this moment than the ones before you came"

And let her take of that what she would as he stood awaiting her response.

FUTURE PORTENTS

Runi smiled. A part of her wondered if it would be so easy. When you lived a lifestyle for such a time as she, change was not easy despite the desire that it be so. Nevertheless, if one never tried at all it would be impossible for change to occur.

Hazel eyes regarded the man across from her for a moment. "There is time for more than one moment." Curious how far the man's extension went, Runi lightly laid the tips of her fingers atop his hand that touched her forearm. Very slight gestures, but meaningful ones for those involved. Yet light enough should things become too hasty or weighty in the moment, and a brief repose needed.

No further elaboration or comment was made yet. If Ijaat were comfortable discussing more than the book he'd been working on, it was best to determine that before anything else happened. Presuming too much of a man would accustomed to a reserved disposition could be disastrous.

Theme
Her fingers on his sent an odd calm through him. So often wound tight, weighed by duty and a dozen responsibilities in any given moment, he rarely just... Was... And in this, he could be. The book lay forgotten for the moment, holo-quill by it's side as he looked at the woman whose hand he held, lacing fingers with hers as he turned his palm up to grasp hers, stepping around the desk with a surprisingly graceful walk and standing on her side, a rare but genuine smile lighting his face and echoing in his eyes.

"Aye, there can be many. But for now, I chose this one and you. The rest can wait, I think we have done so long enough on them, no?"

He wasn't good with emotions since Aerin. It's why his children had been raised on Adumar when she passed. Why he had never taken another true lover. A dozen problems laid there source at this fault, but for the moment he quit worrying. For the moment he focused on the admittedly striking woman in his office who seemed to be admitting some sort of care for such a surly old man like himself.

"I'm not good with words in moments like these... But..."

A simple squeeze of her hand that lasted long enough to not be imagined or an accident, and the grip remained. Light enough to let he withdraw and likely slap him if he was wrong, but it remained. And he was close enough to briefly wonder at more, but not yet dare. Mandalorian courtship could easily end in serious injury if the brave party was wrong in their guess. But his other arm did move as he stepped close, from a glide across her shoulder to a soft touch, lighting to cup her chin and give no doubt he was trying, best as old ways and iron reserve would let, to express an affection of more than just respect.

FUTURE PORTENTS

The book was not something to be forgotten entirely, but Ijaat had spent a great deal of time diligently pursuing it already. There was more left to Ijaat's life yet than just writing the book. A moment to be himself would not be misplaced. Something Runi had to remind many a Mandalorian from time to time; even those in pursuit of justice (or more often more accurately: vengeance).

Runi looked up at the man as he took her hand in his and slowly came out from behind the desk. It seemed Ijaat was something of a romantic after all. The man was intent on this 'moment' consuming a great deal of time -- more than the word ordinarily conveyed. Runi was hardly in a position to demand a literal interpretation to justify her earlier statement; nor did she feel inclined to do so.

As Ijaat stood before her, hand in hand, the dark haired, hazel-eyed woman slowly rose to her feet. As she did so, Runi lifted their hands up between their chests, and slowly twisted her wrist counterclockwise so their forearms soft locked together. "Just say what you really feel. There'll be more than enough time to impress me with your skill at prose or song." Not that she expected either, but if those thoughts had caused him to stumble thinking they were necessary... they weren't.

"You've been the only one to engage me as a person, Ijaat Mereel. Our conversations have been most enjoyable, and honest. To the point I find myself desiring more time together even if I had to find it being a consultant to writing the book. Perhaps there are many other things we have yet to say, or do, with one another."

Objective: Be just a man.

"You see just a man, where others see a monster, myth, or something wretched. And I've yet to pin how that feels, but I will spend many hours by this fire trying to learn just who you are and what it is I feel, if you'll allow"

Laying his forehead to hers, the eld warrior shivered and thought in bemused wonder at the moment he was in. Horrors uncounted. Battles unnumbered. But here he was actually afraid for a moment. Vulnerability and open emotions were perhaps the furthest things from strength for him. Standing there, he drank in the scent and presence of the one who had woke him up to a life beyond duty and his past sins. Woke him up to life in general.

"What little I have is yours, until you tire of my side. And when you must go, you must go. I will keep a place by my side always, and will only ask you do the same for me. Ti ori gar o'r ner tal, Ni malyasa'yr cuyir de gar eso o'r an kebise."

Closing his eyes as a raspy and hushed voice fell silent, he relaxed into her as she had to him, taunt muscle always on the verge or violent action loosening and his shoulders sinking ever so slightly for what felt like the first time in years. No more was said, just standing there in the moment, before pulling back and, in an uncharacteristically affectionate gesture bringing their hands to the side and kissing her forehead.

With the very iron in my blood, I will be by your side in all things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom