Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wright Fit

Hadleigh arrived on the jungle world of Borleias, the humid climate being unfamiliar to one raised on the more idyllic world named Kuat.

"Is this it?" She asked a local resident of the settlement. "Yes, right in there." The older male responds.

The woman marched into the entrance of a rather clinical droid shop. Judging from the rest of the world she found herself surprised to see an unusually spotless environment, and for a second wondered if she were back on Kuat or one of the other paradisal worlds in the sector. "Hello?" She calls out, hoping to receive a response of any kind.

Numerous droids lined the walls, neatly kept in their charging stations undoubtedly waiting for repairs or to be sold. Hadleigh's green eyes explored her surroundings, tracing the various models and classes of droid. Some she recognized immediately, whereas others appeared out of place--alien to her mind.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

[member="Hadleigh Purkis"]

Try as she might Kaili had never really found anywhere else in the galaxy that spoke to her as much as her birthplace did. Borleias was still home despite its downsides, but for a long time she had filled a gap with that most people quite simply counted on having around when handy. After all, between the humidity, the rain and the sandy beaches filled with tourists there was never really a shortage of customers. From droids that needed a proper scrubbing or repairs to a datapad that needed to get drained of coarse and rough sand, Kaili was pretty set.

Or rather, her employees were. She didn’t spend a lot of time at the front anymore. So when Hadleigh entered the store she was promptly greeted by a woman that was at most a few years older than herself.

“Hello, may I help you?” The woman asked and approached her customer.

Her eyes flickered past the droids and now locked onto the woman who greeted her.

"You may," she replies. "I am here to speak with the proprietor... Are they around?" Hadleigh hadn't been told much in the way of who Kaili was, but only that if she were to find her that this particular location would be the place. What she was told is that Borleias was the best world nearest the Kuat sector to buy a droid, and that this was the place to do so. Yet Hadliegh wasn't interested in simply purchasing a droid or two.

She had already returned her attention to the droids, and once more reviewed their variations; searching the models for those which caught her eye the most. As a shipwright she happened to have a thing or two when it came to engineering and although she was far less familiar with droids than ships, she knew enough to spot some key differences between what she saw at face value.

Enough for her to start cataloging the droids at the front of the shop. Only to have her wonder if there were others kept hidden away in the back.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

The woman gave Hadleigh a most curious look. Most people were fine with simply talking to one of their representatives and using them as a middleman to the designers under Andromeda’s employ. The woman let a careful look set on the door leading into the back area before it went back to her customer who was already browsing through what might have seemed like their most basic sortiment.

The clerk cleared her throat. “That’s the Silkworm.” She said and directed the client’s attention towards a miniature model of a droid. “It’s the model that helped with the rebuilding of Coruscant after the Alliance pushed the One Sith off-planet.”

“Is there something going on, Ari?” The door swept open and in stepped a blonde kid. Blue eyes peered at the customer and then her clerk.

“No, it’s quite okay.” The older woman raised her hand, ushering Hadleigh towards the proprietor she had asked for. “That’s her... The proprietor. She is all yours, miss.”

“Hi.” Kaili nodded for a greeting. “Do you need anything special, or… ?”

Hadleigh nods once to the clerk, now giving her full attention to Kaili.

"Only your expertise," she replies. "That is assuming you're the expert around here..." The woman smiles.

She continued to observe the droids, but did not allow her attention to become removed from Kaili in the process. "I suppose what I mean to say is what I need isn't exactly what you already have, but what I hope you can give me." A special order, essentially, or rather a deal for one. Kuat Drive Yards had been rebuilt and in its new business model they were all about flexibility.

Although they had their own droid technology, it wasn't in the same category: She needed artificial support for starships. Astromechs, security droids, and perhaps even a few pilot units. Whatever the droid expert could and was willing to provide.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Ari meanwhile excused herself and faded into the background as Kaili assessed her potential client. Pride in her trade demanded that she at least gave the redhead a small chuckle over the comment on expertise. “I’d certainly hope so,” The blonde smirked. “Would be a shame if my reputation was built on nothing.”

“I’m Kaili Talith, I am not sure I got your name, Miss… ?”

"Hadleigh Purks--I represent K-D-Y."

She kept her introduction brief. "I hope you don't find my 'business first' attitude to be imprudent, but even a short journey from homeworld will certainly cause work to pile up." Despite her words, she did at least smile towards Kaili. "If we may find somewhere to talk...?" For Hadleigh standing in the middle of a storefront was less than ideal.

Yet that didn't stop her eyes from flowing throughout the droids once more, sizing them up and gathering her own assessments on the woman's expertise.

The way her eyes lit up may reveal her first impression of Kaili's work.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Pokerface on. Kaili was not allowed to laugh out loud at the fact that KDY was approaching her. “Of course, right this way.” Kaili led the woman into her office, a relatively small room compared to the office. Even smaller when compared to the small foundry on the other side of the workshop. Not that it was running this very moment; today had been a pretty quiet day. She took a seat behind her desk and motioned at Hadleigh to take a seat in front of her.

While the girl wanted to make small talk and allude to having known the former KDY director, she resisted the urge to do so.

“Well, you have come to the right place if you are looking to get yourself a droid to keep track of it all.”

“... Unless of course you are looking for something bigger?”

"Much bigger," she smirks.

Hadleigh folds her hands over the desk, leaning in every so slightly. "Part of our new model is minimizing the necessary crew of a starship. Personnel is expensive, even private academies can only churn out so many men and women to service a starship. Automation, droids, you name it: I want it all, and I am willing to provide you the resources and facilities to make it happen." She explains her pitch.

"Your name came up," she adds. Perhaps trying to seduce a bit of that ego to help sell the idea.

"If you are willing, then we can get to the good part."

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Was it possible that Oma had noted Kaili’s name down in her files, or were these more contemporary rumors and talk of Kaili? The girl perked her brows trying to mask her curiosity and to stave off the urge to outright ask Hadleigh about it. Mainly because her parents had always stressed the importance of not sharing who she actually was, a Shamalain family member. She was a princess of Kuat by some degree, but her claim was weak enough to not really matter a whole lot.

Regardless, KDY was asking for a big project and Kaili started to lean against her desk as she entertained the proposal. A largely automated ship. In truth this was what Kaili had considered when she had drawn up her own ship, but she had opted for a crew consisting of flesh and blood. Leaving life support in the hands of a machine who did not use it? Kaili was afraid she couldn’t do that. Not ever, even she had her limits and those limits were pretty high, bordering on insane.

“I am willing.” Kaili nodded at Hadleigh. “Unless part of what you are asking for goes into the territory of equipping droids with weapons. Andromeda has a pretty strict policy regarding the development of droids. We do not create weapons, we create aides and assistants. Things to help repairs and construction. Paperwork… You get the idea.”

“I just wanted to make that clear.” The girl leaned back in her chair again and sighed. “However, beyond that we have no problem helping you whatsoever.”

Hadleigh listened in, never having yet revealed the path which led her here in the first place.

Kaili would have all the time in the world to consider the mysteries of her words, and perhaps that was intentional on Lady Purkis' part. A way to keep someone guessing to increase the desire of working with her, or maybe it was all coincidental and happened to line up that way. "Oh," she gave an understanding nod. "K-D-Y is a civil company, I wouldn't dream of asking you to manufacture war droids."

Civil? The company that constructed star destroyers for the Galactic Empire long ago. Civil, the shipyards which churned out the recent Republic's war machine. Civil... The world which seamlessly integrated with the One Sith and suddenly changed course in a direction more favourable to their cause. "However, non-lethal defenses would be a requirement. People want to know their ships are in safe hands."

Although non-lethal weapons were sometimes more dangerous than those which did kill, but of course Hadleigh didn't seem like the type who meant those. Did she?

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Kaili nodded back.

“Good.” She uttered back and proceeded to lean against her desk again. “Non-lethal defenses such as what?”

There were a few alternatives but they were all liable to be abused. Shock grenades with improper loads, blunt force trauma applied to the wrong body part and the likes. For a second there was a slight scrunch to Kaili’s nose as her mouth crooked towards her cheek. She didn’t really like the idea of having her company make less-than-lethal weapons either, but on a greater scale she found it more acceptable than ‘the other kind’, and that was not to diminish the fact that she really, incredibly, very much wanted to work with KDY out of the sheer irony that the situation held for Kaili in particular.

A Princess of Kuat working for the company that her great-great-grandmother used to run under the nose of everyone else. It didn’t get more amusing than that. At least not until people looked up who she actually was, but that wasn’t really a worry of hers. Line of succession put her, needless to say, very far down on the list.

Still, Kaili had asked Hadleigh a question and she expected an answer before going into any greater detail about the job.

"Anything to keep crews safe in emergencies, I'll leave the details to the expert."

Hadleigh leans back in the chair, the flexible base bending back to support her comfort. Indeed she appeared to be getting a little too comfortably, as if soon her company men would come into the place and start setting up shop. "If you have further questions I'm obliged to answer, but if not let's get down to business. Hmm?" Of course she remained less than one for small talk, keeping thing strictly on the topic at hand.

That didn't mean she didn't know how to enjoy herself, as attested by breaking in the office chair. "While we're at it, though, why don't we have a couple of drinks to help us along?" And why not? There's no secret that business can be stressful, and certainly anything to ease the mind--like a heavy drink or five--did wonders for the Kuati noblewoman.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Oh, it was back in Kaili’s court then. She wanted to frown but professionalism would not allow such a thing. Her guest was getting comfortable, indeed it was perhaps a little too comfortable, but Kaili had held meetings with worse. The Colonel that had hounded her all these years over local defenses for Borleias was the worst. He had gone as far as to withdraw his own canteen to sip from mid-meeting, and as far as Kaili could tell at least Hadleigh wasn’t as likely to do that.

Hopefully, at least.

“I am afraid I don’t have anything to drink in this room outside of the tap water.” Kaili shrugged. “Gotta keep your mind on the work and all that. I am sure a successful woman such as yourself can understand the importance of keeping a clear mind when dealing with the kind of things we do.”

Or not, Kaili didn’t know the Kuati woman.

“But yeah, sure, let’s talk business. I am willing to draw up an assortment of droids for the maintenance and protection of ships. What size are the ships in question?”

"Right..." Her only response to the first statement.

Hadleigh was always generous with her intake, finding a certain comfort in alcohol when no one was looking--or whenever she felt it prudent to do so. Suffice to say there were many businessmen and women throughout the core worlds who partook in drinks during meetings. It would seem Kaili wasn't one, but Hadleigh seemed neither bothered nor disappointed with her answer.

Returning to business, "actually K-D-Y is no longer about mass-production. All of our ships are tailored specifically to our customers. So what I am really looking for from you is a guarantee. I want reserved production rights so that when I need droids, you will have the means and time readily available. Of course we'll pay you handsomely in return." No one would willingly reserve business for one company and risk alienating others...

Not without a hefty price, at least. Assuming Kaili was willing to do so.

"There are a handful of vessels on schedule right now that will require your services, and I will have those details transferred to you once my production rights are secured." She leans back up in the chair, straightening herself out rather than looking almost lazy as she did before.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

So they wanted KDY to have Kaili at a constant arm’s reach from their projects. There was promise of pay again, but in truth it wasn’t something that Kaili cared all that much for. Her entire company had been built on her own fascination for droids and the fact that she knew how to build them in a very short timespan.

“So to make sure I got it right, you want me to draw up an assortment of droids and then keep the blueprints around for whenever you call me and want these defenses and aides up and running?” The blonde frowned, she felt like she might have misheard that. “If so, wouldn’t it just be easier to let you have the blueprints yourself so that you could produce said workers without risking external delays?”

It made sense to Kaili at least. Going with her assumption that she was correct she continued.

“You would also save on having to contact me personally to get the presses started, so to speak.” Lips thinned.

“Unless I got all that wrong and you actually asked for something simpler.” Shake of her head. “In which case, I get carried away. I apologize.”

"K-D-Y would have to allocate resources and time, as well as construct their own facilities. Yet giving money and having you arrange the logistics is far simpler..."

Hadleigh wasn't joking. It might make sense to 'eliminate the middleman' so to speak, well middlewoman in this case, but in truth droids were complicated. Kuat Drive Yards would have to dedicate a team, facility, and production resources to effectively create a new branch of the company. Even if Kaili provided the blueprints. Yet Kaili's company is already familiar with the development and production of droids.

"You have your stuff up to snuff, and we don't. Even with your blueprints it could take far longer to get production off the ground for us than you. I am purchasing the value of your experience, not just your designs." She explained the process as best she could, well without going off on a tangent at least.

The woman rubs the back of her head, ruffling the neatly done hair of hers. "Everything works out. You don't ask the river why it flows downstream, do you?"

Rhetorical question...

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Despite it being a rhetorical question Kaili couldn’t help but to at the very least ponder it. Suspicious as she was, questioning why a stream ran down her way was something she was almost guaranteed to do. When the girl had started out, when the Republic had not yet collapsed, she had often been approached by a man trying to — in a rather unsubtle way — butter her up before trying to get her to drop her principles and create them ‘war winning droid machines.’ Needless to say the man had left such a horrible impression that Kaili could not help but treat all of her customers with a sense of hidden distrust.

Not that there was anything to be distrustful of when your potential trade partner simply wanted you to take care of what would otherwise be more costly for them to do themselves. There was the issue of Kaili having, technically, a partner offering a foundry already. However, Fa Holdings would get 10% of the income from items produced in said foundry. That and the fact that it reeked of a lack of security. Having Fa Holdings potentially steal the blueprints, being a competitor and all, was not good for business for either party involved.

“Alright then.” Kaili perked her brow, stapled her fingers and placed it somewhere between her mouth and nose. A sigh burst through her nose as she pondered the request.

“I can do this.” The girl nodded and lowered her hands from her face to look Hadleigh straight in the eyes. “Your foundries, my expertise to create your droids, and then a few follow ups to ensure the droids remain up to speed.”

“No weapons, but still something that could act as a boarder repellent.” Kaili winced. “We will see how I fix that.”

“But, that was about it, right?”

"Nothing else," Hadleigh insists steadfast.

She does continue... "Of course we can address any -necessary- additions in the future," she says with a pleasant smile.

Hadleigh stands up from the chair, brushing herself down in a force of habit despite dressing more casually for the weather. "Are you sure you don't want a drink? Or is this one of those 'let's be serious' arrangements where it's all business and no acquaintance?" Hadleigh's 'I have a sense of humour' tone was far from trained, in fact she sounded more like an awkward teenager when she spoke with subtle pauses between some words.

Clearly she wasn't the most sociable person, despite being a Kuati.

"If not, I suppose I can head back to my ship..." Hadleigh says with a step backwards.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

The last time Kaili had ended up breaching protocol with meetings she also ended up with a girlfriend. Obviously that wasn’t what was going to happen this day, but the thought and memory did cross her mind. There was nothing in the small store that she owned which could really be used as a ‘drink’ in this case. Mainly because Kaili knew her own limits and how she got when she drank. A light-weight with a penchant for not stopping when at her limit wasn’t in the best interest of, well, either woman’s business. Probably. Then again, how long had it been since she had simply stepped out of her office or room and actually tried to meet someone new? Make more friends?

Years. She wasn’t a very outgoing individual despite her occupation. She preferred to think of it as a mask.

A small snicker parted the blonde’s lips. “Actually, uh, there should be a place around the corner. I could give you the grand tour of this part of town. Or something.”

“It isn't the fanciest of places, but it’s certainly not as bad as it could be these days.” Kaili scratched at the back of her head. “With the emergence of a household name in its midst and all…”

“So uh, yeah, we can have that drink. If you want, that is.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom