Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Winter King

black-wallpaper-45.jpg.png

Aelindivider2_1.png

borders-png-22949_1_3.png

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Hardhaven, Islimore
Tag | Dorian Durinson Dorian Durinson

The dining hall was rustic with a brilliant fire coruscating in the massive central hearth, banners of the Kanaka family crest hung proudly from the vaulted rafters with a long timber table dominating the center of the room and a hearty spread of breakfast meats, cheeses and fruits adorning its knotted surface. Around the table stood three of the once four, Kanaka brothers. Dorin seated on one side, Darin on the other - once identical, the fresh pink scars that now marred Darin, set the two apart. The head of the table was reserved for Dorian, the new Alpha, and the reason for her intrusion on what seemed to otherwise be a typical family gathering.

Since their arrival North, she'd been hoping to speak with the Alpha, waiting until after the funeral to discuss her efforts back South, to make pleas on behalf of her people and hopefully gain an ally and ear for war efforts. What she hadn't expected was to receive an invitation, especially not with everything still in transition. She'd gone to Freya and Børre to receive council and for other... matters, but what was suggested had not been what she wanted to hear.

Readying for the meeting had been just as fraught.

She'd been given row upon endless row of luxurious gowns to choose from, all in the Northern fashion, yet stylized in a way that would present her as not only an Alpha of the legendry Svard clan, but as Aeros avatar. It made her wonder if they'd been specially dyed from the typical greys to better suit her, or if they'd once belonged to another woman of the Kanaka clan who held a deep love for vibrant colors in an otherwise colorless landscape. If nothing else, it was safe to say they'd been tailored to fit her proportions. Compared to most Lupo women, Aelin was a tiny thing, having such petite measurements on hand was unlikely.

"You're certain it's alright that I wear these?" she'd asked Anders that morning, holding a velvet gown against her body for comparison. "I'm not part of Clan Kanaka."

"Would you spurn a gift from the clan that's taken you in? The color will bring out your eyes. There's jewelry, too."

Her fingers caressed the buttery fabric. She couldn't remember ever wearing anything so soft. While born Kaiha, she couldn't claim to have lived as one. Even on the Drage Estate and back at the camp, she typically donned armors and leathers. Battleweaves. "I don't want to give them the wrong idea."

Anders walked slowly towards her, pulling her shoulders straight and brushing aside her warm auburn hair to expose her neck and collarbone. "That is exactly the idea you should be portraying."

The gown she ended up choosing in the end was comprised entirely of velvet. It's design was simple, with an intricately gold corset that highlighted the ratio of her curved hips and narrow waist. The color was stained a deep wine-red that warmed her skin and brought out the copper tones in her auburn curls. There'd been a pair of shoes and jewelry that seemed to go with it, but Aelin had only opted to take the shoes. It didn't seem right to take the rings, earrings, or necklace. The gown alone was enough.

Her gaze rose to meet that of the emerald-eyed Alpha, who looked even more enormous with the mountain of heavy furs about his shoulders.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything important, I can come at a later time if that would be more convenient."

Aelindivider_1.png

Last edited:
wolfie4.png

Islimore_Divider_1.png

Wearing | Location | Tags​

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything important, I can come at a later time if that would be more convenient."

“Now is a perfect time.” He told her softly, a smile gracing the hard features of his face. She was but the latest in a never-ending queue of Wolves the new Alpha must treat with. Since claiming the title of Alpha, little more than half a day ago, Dorian Durinson had been given no time to himself, though in truth he had little complaints, he was aware of what needed to be done and was more than willing to see it so.

“Would you eat?”

It was a question but truly there was only one answer. She would not deny a seat at his table in his hall, he was Alpha. As if to prove this fact Dorin gave the twins a look and they rose from their seats to leave the two of them alone.

“Can we give them to her?” His brothers asked excitedly in one voice as they sometimes did.

“Be quick,” Dorian said to them. In his furs, he seemed a hulking black mountain. With the barest hint of gold glittering in the firelight.

“There is bacon and cuts of bantha as well.” He told her, indicating the spread of food on the table. His own plate was clean.

“Or fruit if you desire something lighter, peaches and blackberries, sweet cream as well.”

The blackberries were the size of thumbs and the peaches were bigger than his fist, bright and inviting.

After a moment the twins were back at the table.

“My brothers wish to show you their thanks for taking them in and making them a part of your pack,” Dorian said. He did not know if this southern Alpha born off-world held to the old traditions but in the North, in his home, he would see such things continue, especially when it came to his own kin.

Darin laid on the table a sleek black leather quiver engraved in gold stitching was the symbol of Clan Kanaka and Clan Svard. Inside were a dozen black yronwood arrows strong as steel, tips sharpened to deadly points. Dorin presented her with a black handled knife, the hilt made from the same black trees as the arrows, the mark of her clan etched on one side, the mark of Kanaka on the other. It too came in a leather sheath though this was plain black, the blade shone silver and on the dull edge written in thin beautiful golden wufi were the words their father had said to them often:

“Not all wolves have the heart of men and not all men have the heart of Wolves.”

It was meant to tell her that they thought of her as a true Wolf and a worthy Alpha. It was not an apology but rather an admission that they had perhaps judged her too quickly. They waited eagerly but with dignity to see her reaction.

“The Alpha has received your gifts, now away with you, I need not keep council with pups so green they’re like to flower at any moment.” Dorian had learned to speak like an Alpha from his father. There was a way to sound stern and unyielding and yet endear yourself. It worked best with those who knew your true heart and so it worked here with his brothers.

“We are your sworn shields.” Darin reminded him with a smile. He was always smiling even after all. After father, after his wounds at Declan’s hand, after Durin, after the hard-road through the mountains and yet still. It filled The Alpha with joy and with pride.

“Sworn to obey.” Dorian reminded them. “Find the Drage pup and head to the yard, your skills need sharpened, and if you see our dear brother on the way, do drag him along, he could use a lesson or two.”

The twins bowed their heads to Aelin and their brother and took their leave of the two Alphas. Dorian took a tankard of wine in hand and poured a cup for Aelin and then himself. Steam rose steadily from each cup of hot wine, the smell of apple and spice drifting up as well. There was hardly a more satisfying way to combat the cold than hot spiced wine.

“I am grateful that you decided to take me up on my invitation, Aelin. I should properly introduce myself to you now. My mother saw fit to name me Dorian son of Durin and my good-sister had the sense to name me Alpha of Clan Kanaka.”

Yasmine truly had little choice. If she had thought to hold the throne in the name of her son, it would surely have led to war. When she had come to him to ask him to replace her as Alpha the relief was clear on her face when he agreed.

“Do you like the gown?” He asked her. “We had to guess at the measurements. I hope it fits.”

He reached over and ran a finger lightly over the scar visible on her collarbone.

“You did not care for the jewelry?” He asked.

“Far be it from me to tell you how to be.” He would say after her explanation for leaving the jewelry behind. “But you are Alpha and that means different things to different wolves for a certainty but do not forget that most of them do not and will not know what it means to be Alpha. They will not know the hardships and frankly many will not care, you will be who they resent and blame for their troubles simply by being.” He took a casual sip of his wine.

“But it goes both ways as well. For others you are the shining example of what it means to be a Wolf, you are hope and salvation made flesh, an idea more than a being and it is for them that you wear the jewels and the gowns, and the furs and the swords. It may not always be comfortable but that is the burden of rule, find joy in that discomfort, let the trappings of the role help you fill it.”

He had always seen his father split in two. One courtly and hard, the other, his father who told them tales by the hearth fire or pretended to be a dragon to chase them around the hall, was soft spoken, quick to laugh and generous with his praise.

“Forgive me if I have overstepped.” He said softly. “I do fear It will not be the last time.” He was courteous. As one Alpha should be to another and yet they were in his home, she was his guest, here at his leisure and allowance.

“Stop me when I say something untrue.” He said pouring them more wine.

“I have spoken to my brothers and they have explained much about their time with you, Thorirsblood. I have heard of your desire to be named Anasi.” He spoke casually almost dismissively. The title of Anasi had ever been a southern notion, in the North Clan Kanaka ruled.

“You plan to unite the clans and face The Fayth, but my question to you is how? A few hundred Wolves came with you through the mountain pass, most bearing the mark of Clan Drage. How many I wonder are warriors? How many of those have you lost to the city? There are a number of merchants, captains or even Northern Kaiha, in need of swords that could offer your people steady pay, steady food, and the safety they have thus far been missing. I understand that my words could sound…harsh, but trust I do not mean to criticize your leadership but only paint the picture of what you face.” He gave her time to weigh his words before going on.

“As of yesterday, I am the most powerful Alpha in The North, perhaps the continent as a whole, I have near four thousand warriors at my command, six if I were to conscript from the city and more than twice that number if I call the whole of The North to bear, and that number is just the trained warriors not to count the zorathi small-folk from the villages that litter my country and I say this only to surmise that you would like my support. Would you?” He asked.

“Before I was named Alpha, I said I wanted to give you something. I want to give you the chance to convince me to lend you the support you desire and if you would allow me but a day or two, three at the most, I would show you The North”

Aelin Erevos Aelin Erevos

Islimore_Divider_1.png

Last edited:

Aelindivider2_1.png

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Hardhaven, Islimore

Aelin’s entire demeanor softened as she was welcomed to the breakfast table and began filling her plate - enough that she didn’t seem over indulgent, but not so little that she might come across as rude or picky. At the mentioning of gifts, the expression on her patrician features changed quickly, speaking plainly of her surprise.

She did not have any of the customary elder women to teach her into womanhood of the ancient Lupo customs and rites, many having left after her sisters were taken, or in the ground before she was even a twinkle in her fathers eye.

As she accepted the gift from the twins, she marveled at the beauty of the bow and quiver with its elegantly intricate design, though a part of Aelin felt ashamed that she had nothing to offer in return and desperately wanted to sink into the dirt and join those who’d already passed on. For most of her life she didn’t have the luxury to think about anything beyond the bare necessities of survival, much less ancient customs of hospitality. A blush of roses bloomed in her cheeks, softly swallowing the embarrassing lump in her throat, unsure if there was some customary way to express her gratitude and hoping that she didn’t come off as a simpleton.

“Thank you,” she told them simply, giving a dip of her chin as her fiery-eyes flickered between them. “It’s the most beautiful gift I’ve ever received.” Aelin meant the sentiment with all her heart, trying to convey her own willingness to bury the hatchet before they scampered off, ears perking at the mention of Deidric and Declan, though choosing to hold her tongue in questioning after either of them. Instead, she returned her attention to Dorian as he formally introduced himself.

“Well met Dorian,” she placed a hand against her chest, trying not to let her inner doubts dissuade her as she recited the words she’d practiced so assiduously. “I’m Aelin Erevos, daughter of the late Jhaan Erevos. Alpha of Clan Svard, heir of Thorir and of the ancient city.”

“Do you like the gown?” He asked her. “We had to guess at the measurements. I hope it fits.”

“They were all incredible. I am actually wearing a dress instead of swimming in one, so I’d say you guessed well. So well, that I’d actually begun to wonder if Clan Kanaka had a predecessor who was as small as I am. Another runt, perhaps.” a soft breath of amusement passed between her lips. “All of that is to say, thank you. Your hospitality and attention to detail is unmatched.”

Aelin felt her body tense as he unexpectedly reached over, running a finger lightly over the scar visible on her collarbone. Her heart jumped into a skittery dance, trying not to flinch. The pain had long faded, but she was still plagued by anxiety and twinges of fear whenever something or someone touched around or near the area.

“You did not care for the jewelry?” He asked.

“It’s not that… I didn’t think it would be appropriate to wear the jewels of another clan or to parade myself in them while my people still mourn their losses.”

She took a healthy drink of the steaming cider that warmed its way down her throat, listening as he spoke of his observations, his implications, and shared bits of undoubtedly earned wisdom.

"Your pack has been fortunate to grow and thrive here in relative peace, no doubt.”

Meanwhile, the rest of our kind is ravaged by the Fayth who grow and spread their rhetoric… she thought, but did not say, ensuring that particular challenge did not roll from her tongue. She did not know the full breadth of what they faced here. It would behoove her to learn, before passing any permanent judgements.

“I understand why you might hesitate to act, especially after seeing what I’ve been able to, thus far. You have much to protect and be proud of, but I am of the strong belief that an alliance of the clans could permanently put an end to the Fayth and only make our people stronger. That we could fix the damages done in the past and rebuild our home. The Hathbi’s and Drage have already pledged to our cause and I’d be more than happy to share some of the plans we’ve been cultivating to achieve those goals in an effort to persuade you.”

A tender smile warmed her lips, her auburn curls glinting in the firelight with a simple nod of her chin. "In regards to the tour...I’d be honored to accompany you and see more of your country."

Aelindivider_1.png

wolfie4.png

Islimore_Divider_1.png

"In regards to the tour...I’d be honored to accompany you and see more of your country." She told him. He smiled softly. He hoped she would have more to offer than plans forged with a clan of off-worlders and his cousins from the sands.

“The honor is mine, Anasira.” He said, shoving away from the table to stand. She seemed to take his words in good enough spirits though her response left him to wonder if she had fully taken in their meaning.

“I would hate to see you out of your gown,” He lied with a playful pout. “But my lands can be harsh. I would suggest dressing for the cold. If you need help procuring suitable means of dress, do not hesitate to ask. Hardhaven has no lack of warm gear.” He told her with a smile. “Oh, if you have guards, it would do well to invite them along. I will have a few of mine own so they will not lack for company. My brothers told me you were fond of a bow. You should bring that as well. Mayhaps you will be given a chance to use the gift from the twins. Find me near the stables when you are ready to leave.” He gave her a short bow and swept regally from the hall.

The Alpha of Clan Kanaka could be found in front of the stables. In his hand was the lead to a young orbak, lean, sturdy, and black as one of the arrows in Aelin’s quiver. Steam billowed from the nostrils of the beast as it snorted and stamped, defiant of Dorian’s efforts to guide it. It shook its great shaggy head with a cry and reared, kicking its sharp hooves toward him. Dorian gave the lead a hard two-handed yank and the orbak came back down to all fours.

“Enough of that,” Dorian spoke softly to the orbak. It stirred but this time with only a whimper. Dorian reached a hand up to pat the creature and nearly lost an eye to one of its tusks when it swung its head violently and kicked fiercely with its back legs.

“This one is newly brought to our stables.” He explained. “It still yearns for the wild and who could blame it.” He finished turning to look Aelin in the eyes.

“We will not be taking orbaks today, though you are welcome to one once we return.” he led her to where a pair of speeder bikes were waiting. “We will take these and the men can carry our gear and themselves in the speeder.”

Life was simple for the Wolves of Islimore. by all accounts, it was quite backwards compared to the rest of the galaxy, but in large places like Hardhaven, it was uncommon but not impossible to come across something of a more modern bent.

They would leave via the castle’s western gate and travel the northwestern pass through the mountains, three hours along a narrow road, grey mountain walls on either side. The speeder bikes could ride shoulder to should but had they brought two speeders they would have had to travel single file. They stopped at each guard tower along the way. Three in total, an hour apart from one another, the first line of defense were an invasion to come from the north of the castle.

Hours of naught but hard grey stone and the occasional bird made for some boring travel.
“Tell me, Aelin Jhaansdottir, should I extend my apologies to you for becoming Alpha so young? My own brother Durin was not much older than you if he were older at all when he took over for our father. At that point however Durin the elder was already a hundred and forty-five and ready to step away from the burden rule. Was your father also so ready to pass his mantle?” He would ask her as they got ready to leave from the last guard station. Neither Declan or the twins had mentioned anything about Aelin’s life before Islimore. The scion of Clan Svard, blood of Thorir, descendant of Aeros. He watched her as he listened to her answer about her father, however long or short that answer may be. He nodded in understanding and fired up his bike.

They had only need to travel a short way up the path to find the mouth of their path that a hundred generations ago had lived as a river through the stone. What had once been nothing but grey and cold opened up to a scene that may have been from another world entirely. Through mist it lay before them, a tranquil land of rich black soil, wide slow-moving rivers, and hundreds of small lakes that shone like mirrors in the sun, protected on all sides by its sheltering peaks.

They slowed to a stop to take it all in. Dorian watched her again to try and see her reaction to the wonder that was The North. It would not take long now for the greens if the grass, the burnt oranges and reds of the trees, the rainbow of colors for the farmlands to be lost all in white as the snow swallowed it all and the lakes and rivers froze.

“I believe you misunderstood me earlier. At breakfast.” He said to her climbing from his speeder and walking a ways toward the sloping path that would take them further into the vale.

“I do not wish for you to convince me of your cause. I know full well what the Fayth are, I believe you were there when we buried my brother. No, it is you I want to be convinced of. Do you have any doubt that if I were to have proclaimed myself Anasari as well as Alpha that day, that it would not be so? The challenges would’ve come and perhaps I would’ve died, perhaps even at your hand but so then would the support of The North. So why should The North, why should I, back you Jhaansdottir? If you need to think on it, I encourage you to do so, we have naught but time out here.”
A breeze of biting cold air swung out of the west and up the trail to meet them full in the face. Dorian’s eyes watered from the sting of it, clas as he was in his scaled leather armor and the thick black furs he had been wearing since their meeting in the morning.

A pair of blue-white winter birds with their bloody red beaks chased and sang at one another down in the green below them.

“I asked you about your father earlier.” He said softly. “If I upset you, I do apologize, truly, I mean only to know you. As Alpha we are shaped by those that came before us, whether we mean to live up to our predecessor or outshine them or live in fear that we will either become them or never live up to them. I fear that I am bound for both.” The breath of frozen wind had ceased and yet Dorian’s eyes still watered, though not a single tear fell. He did not face her but rather out toward the song of the birds as he spoke.

“As I told you my father was one hundred and forty five when he stepped down. At one hundred fifty five, he began to weaken, his breath would leave him where before it would not, he would tire easily and be difficult to rouse, at one hundred sixty years my father fell down shaking, he nearly bit through his tongue, he shook with such violence. When the shaking stopped, he needed help to stand and from that day on he walked with a cane and slurred when he spoke as he lost the feeling in the whole left side of his body.” There were some who would recount their hardships as if they were a droid listing a ship’s manifest, Dorian did no such thing, he was not casual but he was not dramatic either. He gave things their proper weight.

“When he was one hundred and sixty four, the snows fell for three weeks straight, hard and unceasing. In all my life I had not been so full of joy to see the snowfall. I knew what it would mean. Every time I remember my father, I try to remember the joy I felt knowing he would die, the relief and immense gratitude that filled my heart.” He scoffed out a laugh. “I don’t know if that makes me a good son, I don’t think it does because I never can feel that joy. I only miss him and in my weakest moments I wish he were still here with me, suffering and in pain so long as I could look upon his ruined face one more time or squeeze his fingers that could no longer feel. I would take from him a whole and healthy body in Freann because I do not always find myself strong enough to exist in a world without him. I pray he never learns this because I know if he did, he would face down Aeros himself to be here.”

Silence hung around them. Even the winter birds had paused their revelries.

“They called my father The Protector and all Lupo are diminished for his loss.”

He turned to face her. His eyes still watered but his voice never once broke.

“Would you care to see where I won the title of Alpha?”

Islimore_Divider_1.png

Last edited:

Aelindivider2_1.png

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Kanaka Lands, Islimore

The resinous smell of fresh pine needles saturated the cold air as she made her way down, warmly wrapped within her fur lined leathers as crystalized evergreens stretched out to shield the remainder of her winding path, three of her own warriors trailing behind as they reached the thick-timbered beams of the stables where Dorian waited, struggling with an orbak. “I can tell.” she said, nodding in response to his explanation for the creature's restless behavior, humming thoughtfully to herself as she looked over the animal. Young, spirited, and splendid. “You can never fully quell the wildness of any creature though, can you? Even the ones that seem tamed. Give them an opportunity and they’ll always run for freedom. Are we…?

“We will not be taking orbaks today, though you are welcome to one once we return.” She followed his lead to where a pair of speeder bikes were waiting. “We will take these and the men can carry our gear and themselves in the speeder.”

Aelin almost bit back a sigh of relief. She was only a fair rider, having spent more time with modern forms of transportation or even by foot, -the power and speed of a lupine body could cover hundreds of miles before ever tiring- than she ever had on the back of another animal.

She followed Dorian’s lead, saddling her own bike and waiting until he was ready to go.

It had been some time since she’d ridden a speeder bike, having almost forgotten about the slingshot effect of the engine, only remembering at the last second and hastily readjusting to keep herself from slipping off once the gears were kicked into place.

As they zoomed across the glistening snow, the landscape began to change, turning into a mountain pass of giant walls made up of cold greys and blues, a large portion of their afternoon eaten up by the hours it took to travel between the winding paths.

“Tell me, Aelin Jhaansdottir,” Dorian said, attempting to strike up a conversation, undoubtedly as a means to pass the time. Though, it was his line of questioning that caught her off guard.

“Should I extend my apologies to you for becoming Alpha so young? My own brother Durin was not much older than you if he were older at all when he took over for our father. At that point however Durin the elder was already a hundred and forty-five and ready to step away from the burden rule. Was your father also so ready to pass his mantle?”

She hadn’t spoken about her father in what felt like years and only a select few knew the full breadth of all she’d endured. The ugliness of how she’d come into her position was not a story that she enjoyed recounting.

“Unfortunately, it was the madness that brought him to his knees,” Aelin answered after a short pause, reflecting some of the weight she carried in her heart as her voice fell soft, choosing in the last moment to be open with him. “After my mother gave her life for mine, I am told that his spirit went with hers. They were mated you see, but not in the typical sense… they were soul-bonded.”

An anomaly among their kind, a binding so deep and permanent that it was honored above all others. A thing to be cherished among the lucky, but a cruel fate to the cursed.

“As time went on he began to forgo the change and his condition worsened. The clan fell first into ruin and then rebellion, led by my own uncle. I was nine years old.” She could feel her heart tighten in her chest from the admission, before dropping into her stomach.

“They took my older sisters, broke both my fathers legs in front of me, and then left the two of us to die - a crippled wolf and his mewling runt. I took care of him for a long time after that, hoping he’d snap out of his waking slumber. I didn’t have anyone to tell me that it wasn’t possible, that once a wolf started going mad there was no hope left. As I grew older I realized that his wits would never come back, he would not have a life, and he would never avenge my sisters. I lived ten years waiting for him to call my name, long suffering an already broken man.” her fingers traced idly along the strap of her quiver as a distraction from the memories as they walked. “He was sixty-eight when I put an end to it and took matters into my own hands.” She finished telling him, leaving off the gritty details of it.

Of the fact that she had begged at Børre’s feet to do the deed instead, that he had to coax her through the process and warned her of the consequences that would follow if she left things as they were. When all was said and done and her father’s body taken to be cleaned in preparation of his last rites, Aelin went out to a secluded area behind the shed to be alone and find her anchorage in the aftermath, but the tears couldn’t be contained and she’d wept for hours instead, unable to shake the feeling that a line had been crossed and her soul stained. She knew better, now, grasped a wider understanding of the event and why it had to happen, though it didn’t make the memories any easier to bear.

Dorian kept a mildly paced stride, making it easy to keep up as they passed through the mouth of the cave, the sound of rushing water welcoming them as the winter landscape slowly melted away to reveal one of the most beautiful places she’d ever been to. Her fiery gaze flickered over to him, “What is this place?” she asked, struggling to come up with the right words to say that would adequately describe what she was seeing. It filled her with both longing and mirth, making her own skin itch as the wolf inside her stirred, wanting to absorb every detail of the foreign landscape. The scent was overwhelmingly complex, tinged with florals and dirt and all manner of life that she’d never encountered before. She inhaled a deep breath of the autumnal wind. “Thank you for bringing me here.”

“I believe you misunderstood me earlier. At breakfast.” He said to her as they walked a ways toward the sloping path to take them further into the vale. “I do not wish for you to convince me of your cause. I know full well what the Fayth are, I believe you were there when we buried my brother. No, it is you I want to be convinced of. Do you have any doubt that if I were to have proclaimed myself Anasari as well as Alpha that day, that it would not be so? The challenges would’ve come and perhaps I would’ve died, perhaps even at your hand but so then would the support of The North. So why should The North, why should I, back you Jhaansdottir? If you need to think on it, I encourage you to do so, we have naught but time out here.”

A flush of blush took to Aelin’s cheeks as Dorian clarified his meaning from earlier. Embarrassed by the misunderstanding, Aelin went quiet, listening to him speak of his own experiences while pondering on what response she would give him. He did not know her, did not see the things she’d gone through and thus did not know her merit… it was only natural to question what might make her someone worthy. But how could that be determined in a singular conversation?

The she-wolf enjoyed listening to Dorian talk about his own father with what was clearly a deep fondness and respect. Aelin had often wondered what life might have been like if her mother hadn’t died, would she have lived out a peaceful life on Seoul? Filled with the same heart-felt stories to share and deep rooted traditions to pass on? Questions that she didn’t see any sense of dwelling on for longer than a passing moment. “I would have liked to meet him, Declan always spoke highly of him during our travels together, he told me a lot of stories. He sounded like a remarkable wolf.” she answered with all sincerity, and gave a nod when pressed on his follow up question.

A meaningful silence fell over them as they walked, each seeming to slip into their own thoughts.

"You told me earlier, that you want to be convinced of me…In truth, I do not fully know how to sway you, to make you believe that I’m what you might consider as being worthy.” she looked up at him from beneath the fan of her thick lashes before redirecting her gaze forward. “But I can tell you that I have spilled more than just our enemy's blood to protect our kind.” a hand was placed over the area that covered the pink scar that laid across her chest, “I have fought, tooth and claw with our kin to defend them. I’ve never demanded loyalty, yet those who travel with me choose to give it freely. Not because they follow me, but because I walk beside them, because I know their pain as my own - I’ve lived the same horrors. I stand in spite of them, not because of any comforts I was given, but through sheer will and determination. A rock may temporarily block a river, but it will always find a way through. Not because of its power, but because of its persistence. What do these things make me worth to you? Help us, do not help us. One way or another, I will see through the path that the Gods have laid before me. Truly, it is for them to decide my value.”

Aelindivider_1.png

Last edited:
wolfie4.png

Islimore_Divider_1.png

“What is this place?” it gladdened him to see her react as she did to the sight of his country. He could sense within her the urge to run and explore to bare her soul as wolf and he could feel the pull to join her.

Not yet. He told the beast inside.

“It is The North.” He told her.

The True North. His father had named it to Dorian and his brothers. His gran would often tell Dorian and his brothers that The North was not Hardhaven nor was it the mockery of a human settlement on the water. The North was wild, and beaming with color and cold. The North was millions of deer running through fields of wildflowers red as flame, it was cruel dark forests of tangled branches from gnarled trees that shifted and changed to swallow those who would find themselves lost. It was life and it was death. It was The Pack and everything else was a falsehood.

“I fear I am forever doomed to say to you that which I do not mean.” He told her.

Purposeful strides closed whatever distance was between them. She could reach out and touch him if she so desired. He was an inch over seven feet and even clad in scaled leather and thick furs there was no mistaking his wide chest, broad back, and thick arms.

He stood towering over her, a goliath, but not in a way to menace, only out of a want of understanding and the hope that closeness would bring it.

“Aelin, I do not wish for you to sell yourself.” He spoke gently but clearly, weighing his words with the hope he would not misspeak again. “I do not see you as some…thing, to be measured and weighed, no different than a blade or an orbak at the market.”

The winter birds began to sing again, soft and sweet.

“I did say I wanted to be convinced of you that is true. I did also say I meant to know you and that is closer to the whole of it than the first. When Declan first came home and spoke of the young Alpha from the stars, the lost heir of Thorir who meant to unite the clans against The Fayth, I was intrigued. When he had told me he swore an oath to this same Alpha who meant to claim the title of Anasi, I was struck. Durinsblood, do not take oaths lightly. This must be some Alpha indeed for my brother to swear to their cause before tasting the snows of home again. When Declan and Dorin arrived home with the body of my Alpha and told me the tale of what took place in the dark wood with the drengir and the tragedy that befell the Northern camp, when they told me of the loyalty and fierceness of Clan Erevos, I was humbled. When I had learned of the attack on Hljóðleva and the decision to take the hard-road north, I was certain of my need to know more. When I went to my brother’s mate the night before his burial and it was decided I would rule Clan Kanaka I knew I must seek an audience with this Alpha. Imagine my surprise to find out she was you.”

“Now we are here and I have learned some of you I think. I had asked you to convince me and you tell me of reasons why others follow you, not of why I should. You speak of standing with them as you fight for them, as you bleed for them, that they choose you. This I think speaks to your pride though you dress it in humility. I asked if you wanted my support and you responded by telling me that you already have the support of others, just now you tell me ‘help or do not’ as if it makes no matter to you. This too seems to show your pride.”

He did not begrudge her her pride. No, pride was imperative for them, for a Wolf without pride was little more than a dog and The Gods knew Dorian had pride of his own.

“Were another asked with convincing the Alpha of Clan Kanaka for support they may have offered me reward for such. Lands, gold,”

A mate

“that sort of thing and yet the thought never crossed your mind to buy my loyalty, I think that is because the thought would never cross your mind to be bought. That I think speaks to your humility and some to your integrity.”

Or more likely it spoke to her lack of refinement. Made Alpha of a scattered clan worlds away from where her ancestor’s ran. A desire to reclaim that lost land with little guidance on what that would mean.

“You did not answer me when I suggested to you that I could simply take the title of Anasi with a word, nor did you have much to say about the state of the pack that came with you north whose numbers grow fewer and fewer by the day. For some it would mean they fear to answer the hard questions but when I asked you about your father, Jhaansdotir you shared much and more. You do not seem one to run from a hard thing which leads me to think you left my earlier questions unanswered simply because you had no answer to give. That I think speaks to your intelligence and the service you provided your father at his end speaks to your mercy and to your strength. I do not know if I could have done the same and so I am grateful it was Declan that found my brother.”

He paused for a moment.

“What does that say about me?”

He looked down on her, this fierce little Alpha who meant to take on the whole of Islimore alone if that is what it came down to. The wind had tussled her hair. He reached out and gently moved a strand from her face, letting his fingers glide gently down her jawline to her chin. He lay his massive hand softly on her cheek then slid it toward the back of her head fingers curling to grip the back of her neck, just below the skull firmly but not hard as he leaned close to her. His soul bared its fangs.

“Let no one decide your value Anasira. Not even The Gods. Make your own worth and force the rest of them to see.”

Islimore_Divider_1.png

Aelindivider2_1.png

Outfit | XoXo
Location | The North, Islimore

Aelin bent to the ground, listening aptly to Dorian speak as she inspected a brilliant, yet tiny, blood-red rose. It glittered like a rare jewel, yet when her fingers brushed down to pluck it from the ground, she was mesmerized to find that the petals were soft as the first flowers of spring. Her grip shifted then, a thorn pricking her skin and drawing a welling bulb of blood. She sucked in a sharp breath that whistled between clenched teeth, thrusting the stem under her belt before standing to her feet, just in time to see Dorian making strides to close the distance between them.

As Dorian approached, the difference in their height became glaringly obvious, quickly finding herself bathed in his hulking shadow and gazing up at him with those inexorable fire-like eyes. For a moment, the fierce beauty simply regarded the winter beast, this apex of a man. If she was phased by the fingers that trailed down her silken cheeks before moving to firmly grasp the back of her neck, it didn’t outwardly show in her expression - a trueborn daughter of Thorir could not be known for wilting easily in the arms of men.

Dorian towered more than a foot above the crown of her auburn curls and could easily snap her swan throat with the clench of one large hand. His actions would have outwardly seemed like a display of establishing dominance to any who were looking, while Aelin's own stance screamed, you have met your match in me. He was bold enough to do what many others would never dare, yet the primal spirit of her wolf basked in the idea of that strength, sent a shuddering thrill through her system that she drank up as if it were nectar poured from the hands of the Gods themselves.

Yet, she did not bite back nor flee as she might have done with others.

There was an earnestness and honesty in his observations that both stilled and moved her, yet had the power to make her feel like a foolishly young and inexperienced girl. This in itself caused her to turn inwardly, reflective, pausing to consider all he’d said while ruminating on her own thoughts and opinions concerning him, percolating on his rhetorical question from earlier.

Trying to listen and hear the words behind his words.

She reached out then, boldly and unafraid as she tucked back a dark and loosened curl behind his ear, daring to let the pads of her fingertips linger against his skin before finally coming to rest against his chest, his angles pressed against her curves. “Then perhaps I will start with you,” she answered with a whispered smile. “...How well do you truly wish to know and see me?”

Aelindivider_1.png

wolfie4.png

Islimore_Divider_1.png

His grip on her neck remained. His fingers tightening just so as her own fingers danced across him.

“Then perhaps I will start with you,” she answered with a whispered smile. “...How well do you truly wish to know and see me?” She asked him.

He pulled her close and kissed her. Soft at the start and then with more passion. His lips parted as if to tell her:

“I would know all of you. I would see every inch. I would have you be mine.”

His free hand would slide down the small of her back just under her butt lifting her from the ground and bringing her just about as close as she could be to him.

After a moment that felt both like an eternity and like an instant, they would break from one another. Dorian’s mouth would linger close to hers and would dart back in from one last moment before he placed her back down gently to the ground.

Dorian swept off back to his bike. The engines roared and he shot off swooping down over stone and hill into the mist of the vale. He had no doubt she would soon catch him or perhaps she wouldn’t. Perhaps he had over stepped and she would take her guard and go back.

As they rode through the mist what had once seemed like a distant mountain revealed itself to be a not so distant but incredibly massive tower, nine-hundred feet high, made from pale blue stone that sparkled in the light.

“That, is Månespydet. The Moonspear. It is home of Clan Mathan, my mother’s clan. They have ruled this tower and the surrounding lands for many lifetimes.” Dorian would explain. “Atop the tower is a great began that is lit to warn Hardhaven in the event that a wildling army should make it from their Black Forest. The towers height allows the watchers to see for many miles and there are more such beacons along the rode north as well so that Hardhaven is warned with time to act. The last time it was lit was twenty years ago when my father rode out with Durin and Declan to end The Feral King for once and good.”

Dorian would provide many such history lessons as they continued their ride north. They would pass over hill and stone, fields of wild flowers of every color, purples, reds, yellows, they would ride through several small villages even stopping to eat honeyed bread and for Dorian to show his people their first glimpse of their new Alpha.

They would see herds of wild orbak running free in the wildflowers, their manes whipping in the wind. It did not take long however for their ride to take them into wilder country. Gnarled roots and tall grass covered their path making it a treacherous ride even on the swoops. Unlike the first part of their journey there was no honey bread or sweet wine to be found and no sign that any Lupo lived here ave for the occasional stone keep able to be viewed in the distance or the rotting shell of a villager’s home, left to the wild.

It was after some time they would come to the place Dorian had wanted to show her from the start. A vast field of red God’sGrass, same as you would find on the floor of The Wolf’s Wood. The plants were topped with fat black and purple Lycanberries.

Dorian hopped off of his speed and walked over to help Aelin from hers. He gave her a moment to take in the sight of the place. The blood red field with its berries, to the north was a cold black watered lake and beyond its shoes, a gnarled black oak forest that streched beyond the northern shore of the lake around the eastern edge allway back down south toward them on the Easter my side of the route they rode in on.

This was the place that he had become Alpha. Those woods were The Gallow Woods, and this was where he had slain Rik, a wildling raider that had named himself king. The God’s Grass grew over the graves of those Rik had killed and Dorian had buried. Rik himself lay somewhere under all this red.

“Do you intend to choose a mate?” Dorian asked her.

Islimore_Divider_1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom