Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Way Of Water

qC8JFYe.png

Objective: Provide knowledge to the young Jedi
Tags: Braze Braze
div1.png

It was early morning on Coruscant, many of the citizens were still in bed snoozing a hangover or getting as much shut eye as possible. However, that wouldn't be the case for two individuals who were having an early start on sharpening their skills. Silas, who was used to getting up at such early times had been assigned a learner to teach them a thing or two regarding using the force in water. It was standard for any Jedi to know what they were doing in all environments that were put against them, being underwater was no exception.

The lesson could have been at a more reasonable time, but Silas wanted to teach the young Jedi that getting up early to push themselves was key to making themselves the best they could be. A good step would be turning up to their lessons on time, being late would only waste valuable time for their development. If Braze could do that, he was on the right track in adopting that mentality.

Arriving early to the training pool, Silas had already put a bit of training of his own before Braze would even arrive. For example, since breath control and defending yourself underwater were on the cards he thought it would be beneficial to revisit and see if he could push himself. As Braze will eventually realize, there'll always be something you can improve on.

After a long period of time meditating at the deepest end of the pool, Silas finally reemerged from the water breathing calmly. If needed, he could have stayed down there longer, but considering he had a lesson to teach he couldn't have braze thinking he hadn't down. Swiftly climbing out, the knight dried himself off with a towel and threw on a fresh shirt as he waited for the student to arrive. Unknownst to him, his first test had already begun.

Braze had never been one to conform to the typical schedule of the Jedi Temple. In his younger years as an initiate, he had developed a knack for dodging early morning classes, much to the chagrin of his instructors. Even after Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el had taken him as his apprentice, Braze's punctuality remained a challenge.

The truth was, Braze's nights were often plagued by horrific nightmares. While the rest of the Temple slumbered peacefully, he would wrestle with the demons that haunted his dreams. These night terrors were not easily shaken, and they frequently left him in a state of unrest, making it nearly impossible for him to find solace in sleep.

Instead, he would lie awake in his quarters, attempting to shield his tumultuous thoughts from any fellow Jedi who might be awake at those unholy hours. It became a routine, a cycle of sleeplessness and exhaustion. He would finally drift into a fitful slumber only an hour or two before the dawn, leaving him perpetually tired and struggling to maintain his focus during the day.

Braze had always kept this issue closely guarded, a secret he dared not share with anyone. It was a problem he couldn't bring himself to discuss openly, no matter how much it tormented him. The thought of exposing his vulnerability to others was deeply embarrassing, and he couldn't imagine how he would even begin to broach the subject with someone.

Recently, he had been developing a deepening bond with Loomi Loomi , one where his nightmares became hers and vice versa. Their dreams had started to meld and mix, creating an odd dyadic connection. Braze found himself at a loss for how to cope with these experiences and had resorted to doubling down on his efforts to suppress them, filling his days with distractions to avoid confronting the nightmares that plagued his nights. Last evening was one of those nights where the harrowing experiences of the dream world had become amplified enough to startle him from his sleep, leaving him covered in a cold sweat.

Despite his restless night, Braze had a particularly early class scheduled for the day. He had taken to his training regimen with a renewed interest, bordering on obsession, albeit veiled with a promise of caution to his Master. Knowing the class was fast approaching, he decided not to return to sleep after his night terrors but rather cleaned himself up and readied for the day even earlier than his scheduled alarm had been set. He had tried meditation to calm his nerves, but it proved ineffective, so he turned to reviewing political news instead.

Once his waking alarm went off he turned it off and picked up his little sling and the small black critter he had taken on and tucked her neatly inside carrying her with him.
He hadn't checked who had accepted his request until now as he walked the halls, reviewing a small data pad. As he read the name, he couldn't help but recognize it— Silas Westgard Silas Westgard . The name triggered a vague recollection in Braze's mind, and he had a general idea of who this person was. He frowned, feeling a sense of unease well up in the pit of his stomach.

While Braze had never met Silas in person, he had heard about him, and there was a lingering comment he had made with regard Silas in the past that he now regretted. He wasn't sure how Silas felt about him or if he even knew about that comment, but the sentiment of anxiety swelled within Braze's heart, growing his unease. He took a slow, deep breath and tightened his hold on the data pad, unsure of what to expect from this upcoming interaction.
He reached the door to the training pools shortly after the Knight had emerged from the water's depths, having arrived a full 15 minutes earlier than the scheduled time. Braze's somber jade-green eyes scanned the room briefly before settling on the Knight.

"Good morning," he offered, his voice soft and respectful. As he spoke, he reached into the sling to gently pet the small black ball of fluff nestled within.

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

15 minutes earlier than expected, the doors opened to reveal the padawan who was carrying a sling. It was an unusual thing to bring to a pool, let alone the thing that was being held inside. Not spotting the feline just yet, Silas rested his icy blue eyes on Braze and nodded slowly "Good morning Braze, I'm pleased you've managed to arrive nice and early" the knight said before pushing himself away from the wall and heading to the boy with an emotionless expression.

It would have been a lie to say he didn't know who Braze was, especially after the whole Thelma ordeal. The kid was the one who raised the alarm about Thelma's secret, a chain reaction that in turn cost their relationship as a whole. For Braze, there would be uncertainty as to what Silas felt about the whole thing. The knight knew how to hide his emotions well and if there was any hint of conspiracy he hadn't shown it yet. For now, Braze could go with the flow.

Stopping in front of the padawan, Silas stood silent for a few moments staring a hole into his soul. It was only when Silas spotted movement inside the sling he finally diverted his gaze. Curiously peering inside, he was almost astonished to see a black cat looking back up at him "A strange thing to bring to a pool Braze..." he said with a slight smile. Slowly, Silas placed his hand on top of the sling to introduce himself by letting the cat catch his smell "However, it for sure is a welcome one" he said, releasing a short sigh soon after.

"Please make sure to put him in a secure location. I'd rather not have to deal with two drownings in one day..."

Last edited:

wb1.png

TAGS:
Silas Westgard Silas Westgard
alexboarder.png

Braze greeted Silas with an awkward smile, his voice carrying a slight rasp to it as he replied, "Good morning." He was conscious of his voice's peculiar tone but did his best to maintain a polite demeanor.

As Silas examined the sling and discovered the small black kitten inside, Braze couldn't help but feel a sense of relief when Silas greeted the feline warmly. Soot, the little ball of fluff, seemed equally delighted to receive attention. She nuzzled Silas's hand, showcasing her affectionate nature.

Braze chuckled softly and explained, "She gets lonely if I leave her inside; her cries are pittiful... I'll be sure to put her somewhere safe." He gently removed Soot from the sling and carefully placed her in a cozy spot he had prepared within a bench near the poolside. Soot protested with a soft squeak at being separated from Braze's warmth, but she soon settled into the comfortable space he had arranged for her.

Once satisfied that Soot was in a secure location, Braze turned his attention back to Silas, expressing his gratitude. "Thank you for taking time to help me with this lesson," he said sincerely.

Braze then proceeded to remove his outer coat, revealing his attire for the lesson. He was dressed in a mostly fitted black outfit, resembling a thick wetsuit-like material. The top was cropped with sections replaced by a fine mesh material. He also had simple old-school martial artist shoes on.

Silas's earlier comment about not wanting to deal with drownings prompted a curious inquiry from Braze. "I don't... intend to drown... do you have some plans I should perhaps know about?" His voice held a hint of playfulness as he awaited Silas's response, eager to begin the lesson.

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

Not long after he placed his hand close to the feline the cat was more than happy to let Silas know what it wanted. Feeling his small head nuzzle his hand, Silas gently gave him some scratches and strokes in response to his request for affection "Cats never like to leave their master's side when they so young. As long as you keep him a good distance away from the pool everything should be alright" the knight said before providing one last scratch as he was taken away.

Upon coming back over, the padawan thanked him for being his teacher for the lesson "You don't have to thank me. If I can do anything to help Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el out I'm all over it" After all, Silas and Jasper had been good friends ever since their padawan days. Even if that meant facing some past troubles head on, he'd be willing to help a buddy.

"As long as you keep faith in the force and strive to push your boundaries you will not drown. I can save you here, but if you're on a battlefield you must trust you're own ability to survive" he said while putting two hands behind his back and looking down at the boy with a calm attitude. Today, not only was he going to know how to defend himself but learn to be at one with water itself.

"Tell me, What do you know of breath control?"

Last edited:

wb1.png

TAGS:
alexboarder.png

Braze listened intently to Silas's explanation about the dangers of the pool and the importance of faith in the Force. As Silas shifted the conversation to breath control, Braze's curiosity was piqued. He shook his head thoughtfully, considering his own experiences with managing his breathing in different environments.

"Well, I've managed to adapt to thin air environments to some extent," Braze began, his tone reflective. "But that's really about supplementing what's already there. I haven't had much experience with controlling my breath in more extreme situations."

He looked at Silas with an eagerness to learn. "So, breath control... I've heard about it, of course. It's about regulating your breathing to maintain energy and consciousness in challenging conditions, right? Like underwater or in toxic atmospheres?"

Braze's mind was already racing with possibilities. "I'm wondering if it's similar to meditation techniques, where you focus on your breath to center yourself. But this sounds more... practical, more about survival. How do you train for it? Does it involve mental exercises, or is it more about physical endurance?"

He paused, a thoughtful expression crossing his face. "And I'm curious about its limits."

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

"You're pretty much there. The main purpose is to save as much as possible for long periods of time. Like you said, extreme conditions like underwater or gas filled areas are good examples" he said with a brief nod as he began to slowly pace in front of the learner. Braze seemed to have a decent understanding of the basics already which was handy. It was the matter of actually doing it that was going to be the issue for the padawan, as he found with other learners before him.

You may think it is simple, but it takes time and practice to master.

"It is a mixture of mental and physical endurance. Without one or the other it won't work, kinda like fuel for a shuttle" Silas explained while he stopped at the edge of the water and looked down into the clear depths "The force needs a body that is fit and able to withstand the effects of having no air. As well as that, you need a healthy mind that doesn't doubt yourself. Doing that will only stop you from concentrating and allowing the force to regulate your breathing"

Smiling slightly to his last comment, he looked back to the boy and motioned to the boy to jump in the shallow end of the pool "Want to find out?" he asked back to Braze, knowing he was more than willing to test himself. Silas knew his limit when it came to this kind of stuff, would Braze be the same though?

Braze listened intently to Silas, his frown deepening as he processed the words. The realization that his approach might not be the most effective was slowly dawning on him. He was aware of his unbalanced state, often choosing to shut off his thoughts and feelings to maintain focus, but now he wondered if this was counterproductive in the long run.

His gaze shifted to the shallow end of the pool, now viewing it with a newfound sense of trepidation. Turning his jade green eyes back to Silas, he asked for clarification. "Could you elaborate on what you mean by balance?" Braze inquired, his voice tinged with genuine curiosity and a hint of concern.

Braze understood that a fit body was necessary, but the concept of a healthy mind free of doubt was something he was grappling with. The idea that self-doubt could hinder him greatly

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

It appeared the young Jedi was not ready to start yet, which was understandable. Silas had to remember as a teacher not to rush into things and make sure the students understood the process they were getting themselves into. With this one, Braze would need to know everything he'd need to focus on perfectly. Not doing that would very much hinder his training or worse kill him when using it in a real world scenario, Silas did not want that on his hands if he died due to his poor methods.

"Of course... what I mean by balance is that you can have one over the other. Yes, a fit body can help you significantly but when you have a mind full of doubt and worry your body will not function properly. Panic is a big killer, and once you lose control it can be hard to regain composure especially when you're in the water."

Silas walked over to the left of Braze and looked down the length of the pool in thought "I sense unease in you Braze, is there something on you're mind that is causing you trouble?" he asked in a more caring tone, curious as to why the boy was feeling concerned about what was ahead. He wouldn't pry too much, but it would be a good way to help ease his worries if Silas had a solution for it.

Last edited:

Braze's voice carried a weight of unspoken struggles as he confided, "I have... a lot of dark thoughts and feelings that I find hard to detach from." He paused, choosing not to delve into the specifics of these thoughts or their origins. "I'm worried that if I lose focus or let my mind wander, I might jeopardize everything," he continued, his concern evident in his tone.

Braze's admission took on a deeper layer as he revealed more about his internal battles. "I can't seem to control it. Sometimes, I experience sudden flashes, visions, or feelings from someone else, and it's been happening more frequently recently." His words trailed off.

"It's overwhelming, really. It doesn't matter if I have my mental shields up; it's like there's an open channel between us. The memories and dreams that come through are just... a lot to handle." As he spoke, his thoughts drifted to Loomi Loomi . She had a significant connection and impact on his current state.

Braze's struggle was a battle that seemed to go beyond mere mental discipline.

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

The things that Braze said very much reminded him of himself when he first became a Padawan. The death of his parents was still raw at that time and left him riddled with nightmares and doubt. If it wasn't for Valery and Kahlil's guidance, he probably may have never become a Jedi let alone a fully fledged knight.

"You remind me of myself when I first started. I was going through the same things as you were." Silas said softly as he looked at the padawan calmly "In all honesty I never thought I could reach this level due to my own doubts. Becoming a Jedi was the only thing I had left after... well after my family had moved on" he said a bit more lightly before flashing a quick smile to hide any sadness that was going to be shown "I had nightmares of my own, and it only got worse the more I kept it to myself. It was only when I told Master Valery did my mentality began to change"

The truth was no Jedi could go through this life alone, they needed friends and family to help keep them moving forward.

"I'm happy you were open about it Braze, there's no harm in letting your true feelings known instead of letting it grow. Do you feel a bit better now that you've told me?"

Braze listened intently, his eyes reflecting a mix of surprise and relief as Silas shared his own experiences. The realization that he wasn't alone in his struggles seemed to lighten some of the weight he carried. "I... I didn't know others felt this way too," Braze began, his voice a bit steadier than before. "I always thought... that Jedi were supposed to be strong, without doubts or fears."

He paused, considering Silas's journey. "You've been through so much, yet you're here, a Jedi Knight. It's... inspiring." A small, genuine smile flickered across his face.

Braze's gaze shifted slightly, introspective. "I guess I've been trying to handle everything on my own. I thought that's what I was supposed to do."

He took a deep breath, a sense of unburdening accompanying his words. "Yes, I do feel a bit better now...."

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

"Trust me, others have gone through far worse and have come out better than I am in the order" he said with a smile after noticing that Braze was starting to look on the positive side of things. Silas could have been cruel and made things worse for the boy due to the things that happened in the past. However, that wasn't in the knight's nature to seek revenge for a situation that was way out of his control. Thelma and her master had problems, and in the end, that was the result of their undoing.

Nodding slowly, he seemed confident that Braze was in a better frame of mind to begin their lesson "Good, just remember to keep that attitude throughout the lesson. The more you have a clear mind the easier it will be to focus" the knight remarked before slowly getting to his feet and casually throwing his shirt to a bench closeby.

"Alright, how about we get started shall we?" Silas remarked as he sprung a surprise nudge to the back of Braze to force him face first into the cold swimming pool. Chuckling to himself, he slowly raised a finger and wagged it "Another tip, always keep on guard in environments like this. You never know what could appear"

Not long after Silas jumped into the deep water with the padawan to indicate that the lesson had begun. The lesson ahead was going to be tough not only for him but for any padawan. However, considering his good friend Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el was his master he was confident he'd have the ability to get through it fine.

wb1.png

TAGS:
alexboarder.png

Braze, already predisposed to a sense of paranoia and wariness, especially around Silas's, listened intently to Silas's words, trying to put his own hardships into perspective. His natural inclination to be on guard, heightened by his self-imposed isolation from his peers, meant that he was constantly maintaining a robust mental shield. Despite this, when faced with Silas's intentions, Braze chose not to resist, allowing events to unfold as they would.

The plunge into the cold water was a jolt to his system, and he emerged gasping for air, the shock evident in his sharp intake of breath. In a moment of playful retaliation, he couldn't resist the urge to splash water back at Silas, who was perched on the edge of the pool.

"I'll keep that in mind," Braze promised, his voice carrying a cheerful and sweet tone, but with an underlying demure softness that masked his true intentions. He was filing away this experience and Silas's advice in the back of his mind, to be pondered and possibly acted upon later.

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

Silas couldn't help but feel just a bit of satisfaction nudging Braze into the pool. The knight was normally quite stern when it came to training, yet now and then some teasing could be included to make things more interesting. As he took off his shirt Braze even spashed some water back at him which hit him in the chest. It didn't seem to bother him too much as he had been swimming before the lesson, so if the padawan wanted payback they'd have to do way better than that.

Swimming his way over to the learner, he calmly floated into the pool and looked to Braze for his first instruction "Alright, considering it's your first time doing breath training I'm going to let you warm up" he said while moving himself backward a little "Do a few laps of the pool then meet me in the deep end. I want to test what level you're at already"

Training like this was always going to be hard to get them to adapt quickly. If Braze couldn't learn quickly she was going to fall behind or even worse, harm himself or others in the process.

wb1.png

TAGS:
alexboarder.png

Braze nodded quickly. "Got it!" he exclaimed with enthusiasm, immediately diving into the task of swimming laps. His movements in the water were agile and slick, like a minnow speeding away from a predator. The laps were done with relative ease so he could in fact swim- and swim rather well. He had to to do some the more dangerous training methods he'd come up with when left to his own devices.

After completing his laps, Braze tred his way towards Silas in the deep end of the pool, ready for further instruction.

"You won't drown me ... right?" He asked with a quiet tone.

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

Silas observed Braze as he swam and noted he was already a relatively strong swimmer. Of course, all Jedi were meant to be well versed in water but some were more comfortable than others. It didn't mean too much as most of their time would be spent under it compared to swimming above the water. Once he had finished, Silas couldn't help but release a small grin at what the padawan said. There was some distrust from what had happened in the past and it had seemed to have rested in the boy's mind since that time.

"If you mess around, possibly" he said at first with a short chuckle and a shake of his head "No Braze, I'm not going to drown you. If I had any thoughts like that I wouldn't have even taken the lesson, let alone be trusted with one of my good friend's padawans" Silas explained honestly, knowing it was probably best to rest the padawan's doubts sooner rather than later.

"Braze, look at me. I do not blame you for what happened to Thelma, she was scared and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. It wasn't your fault that they acted that way" For a moment the knight seemed to look down to the water and flash a frown. The sting in his heart was still raw, to say the least...

"Hey, even if I did try something Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el would probably kick my ass"

Last edited:

wb1.png

TAGS: Silas Westgard Silas Westgard
alexboarder.png
Braze initially felt reassured by the conversation, his attention firmly fixed on Silas. However, noticing the frown on Silas's face and sensing the underlying sentiment, Braze decided to take a light-hearted approach to lift the mood. With a mischievous glint in his eye, he playfully splashed water at Silas, hoping to cheer him up or jar him in to a different mood.

As he heard Silas's comment about Jasper's fighting prowess, Braze's smirk widened. His tone was playful and teasing as he responded, "It's good to know that Jasper can best you in a fight. I'll keep that information in mind."

It would seem that Braze was comfortable with talking with Silas at this point so much so to even give him such playful ribbing.

qC8JFYe.png

div1.png

A smile soon appeared on Silas's face when Braze gave him a cheeky splash on the face "Hey, don't make me get tempted to drown you" the knight smirked back with a small splash of his own. He didn't mind moments like this between the stress of training, but sooner or later they'd have to get down to why they were both here.

"Anyhow, I bet you're wondering why we're in the middle of the deep end right?" he said with a smirk to the depths below "At the bottom of the pool there's a brick, one that needs to be retrieved, and brought back to me. You may think it's not too far, but trust me you'll soon know once you get below the water" the deepest part was double that of a standard pool, making it an ideal challenge and training for the Jedi looking to test themselves for real life situations.

"Also, if you are starting to struggle don't hesitate to tell me. I will come down and bring you back up to the surface as soon as I can. Just keep calm and you'll be fine, okay?"

Last edited:

Braze gazed into the depths of the water, his eyes tracing the ripples that danced across the surface. He turned his attention back to Silas, nodding thoughtfully as he considered the challenge of retrieving the brick from the pool's depths. The task seemed straightforward, yet Braze knew it would test his resolve and adaptability.

"What color is the brick?"
he asked, seeking any advantage in locating the object in the vast expanse of water. Knowing its color could make the difference in spotting it amidst the pool's murky depths.

Taking a deep breath, Braze steeled himself for the dive. He cleared and focused his mind, visualizing the task ahead. He plunged into the water, his body cutting through the surface with practiced ease.

As he descended, the water's embrace grew colder, and the light from above began to fade. He swam deeper, his eyes scanning for any sign of the brick.

The pressure built around him.

A little futher than halfway down, Braze's lungs began to protest, the need for air growing urgent. He realized he wouldn't reach the bottom on this attempt. Resurfacing, he broke through the water, gasping for air. His chest heaved as he took long, deep breaths, regaining his composure.

Without wasting another moment, Braze dove back into the water, this time with renewed vigor. He swam with purpose, his strokes more powerful, cutting through the water like a knife. As he descended deeper, the light dimmed further, casting a gloomy shade over everything.

Each dive Braze undertook was a descent into a watery hell, an abyss where the darkness was alive, pulsating with his heartbeat. The pool became an otherworldly entity, a malevolent force that seemed to grasp at him with cold, unseen fingers.

As Braze plunged deeper, the oppressive weight of the water squeezed him, an invisible hand tightening around his chest. The dim light from above twisted and turned, playing tricks on his eyes, creating phantoms in the corners of his vision. His lungs burned with a fiery intensity from the lack of air.

Each attempt to reach the elusive brick was a dance with danger, a flirtation with the suffocating embrace of the depths. His mind teetered on the edge of panic, a precipice from which one could easily plunge into madness.

With every failed attempt, Braze resurfaced, gasping and spluttering, his breaths ragged and desperate. The taste of fear was metallic in his mouth, a sharp looming warning of the thin line between life and suffocation. The pool's surface, once a gateway to salvation, now seemed to mock him with each failed dive.

Each dive was taken quickly and sharply, though more draining than the last. His muscles screamed in protest, and his energy ebbed away, yet his spirit remained defiant. It was as if he was locked in a battle with the physical world and an unseen adversary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom