Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Virtue of Temperance

praxeum_divider_crappy.png
EIRA PECHAL // JEDI PRAXEUM
Early Morning.

I found myself stunned by the knowledge of what my kindred had done in my absence. For little reason other than satiating their desire for action and violence, several Jedi struck out at the Sith Library on Ossus. Yes, it was horrible to learn of what happened to such a revered site after the withdrawal of the Silver Jedi from that sector, the brutality of the First Order’s bombardment, and the Sith-Imperial occupation thereafter; but that was no reason to charge headlong into the fray. It was an ancient building that had been looted, copied, and ravaged for millennia. The damned place was nothing more than a collection of bricks and faded memories, yet somehow it warranted such a violent response? To say that I was angry was an understatement. For the briefest moment of pure instinct, I wanted to crush the wooden cup within my grasp to seek a release from my emotive torment. However, as the moment passed, so too did the heated rush of anger. In the void it left behind, however, I felt nothing but utter disappointment for those that called themselves Jedi and participated in such reckless violence.

They weren’t Jedi, not at that moment. They acted more akin to those they brazenly attacked; our darker kin who fully embrace their emotions and the intoxicating power they may yield. I found myself stuck in a precarious position, as time after time, I’ve witnessed those I’ve called my religious kindred falling prey to the rising darkness that now threatened well over half of the Galaxy. I knew exactly where this path led, and what it would do to those who carried on down that road. There needed to be a change, but it was a foolish endeavour as the fires of youth would forever burn brighter than the wisdom of the elderly. Nor would it be wise to go against the tenets of our collective Religion in the hopes of forcing a change in perception. Instead, I surmised that the only way for such a change to come about was to become an exemplar of our beliefs -- to lead by example, rather than force others to see things my way. It was the Jedi way, after all.

Our Order was supposed to be the Defenders of the Galaxy, and the Guardians of Peace and Justice -- Peacekeepers, so to speak. Yet, somehow along the way from our religious enlightenment in the aftermath of the First Schism, the Jedi adopted a more forthright end to any conflicts they involved themselves in. The Ends always justified the means, as killing one life - if it could save thousands more - was enough to vindicate their deplorable actions.

We, collectively, shifted away from Peacekeepers to become Peacemakers.

How could they not have seen that every action has consequences? That there is always a cost for every deed, no matter how minor. The bill came due in the aftermath of the Clone Wars, so I’ve read, as the Jedi Order was effectively culled by those they had grown to appreciate and admire. There were two Sith in that era, and thousands of Jedi - and yet through the machinations of a select few - the galaxy endured a shift in governing practices and birthed the first Galactic Empire. They relished thousands of years of peace and supposed prosperity under the rule of the Republic… what did they think was going to happen? Our spiritual ancestors were blinded to the fundamental rules of the universe; where all things must be kept in balance, no matter the cost. They grew, unchecked, and became stagnant in their beliefs. While such events were in the past, or parts of our recorded history, I could see the similarities stretching across the breadth of time itself. Although the shoe was on the other foot this time around, and many factors were different, the result would ultimately be the same; the Jedi were doomed if they continued along this path. They were destined to either die as the supposed heroes they were or simply add themselves to the ever-growing legions of the Sith.

Suffice to say, I wasn’t impressed.

Not.

In.

The.

Slightest.

Yet, as they were halfway across the Galaxy and far from reach, I was left with little choice but to wallow in my supposed misery for the time being. They would undoubtedly hear from me, if and when they returned to Eira Pechal - if they returned at all - and that event would likely cause tensions between several individuals, and the various Orders themselves. Was it worth it in the end? I couldn’t say. While there were chance moments that I could see into the future, it was a fickle, and unreliable mistress at best. Who knew if what one actually saw would come to pass, as every deed caused the threads of fate, and destiny to branch off into a thousand different directions - each leading towards a different outcome. Anything could happen, even if one sought to carefully cultivate a bountiful tomorrow. It was best to act in the interests of the Force; keeping the Balance whenever possible, and ensuring that Life itself would continue to live on for the rest of eternity.

So, while it would be in my best interests to chastise those wayward souls for those misdeeds and any destruction of knowledge that would be caused by their hands, the Force would ensure that they got their just deserves. It always did. The Sith would likely be enraged by the sudden surge of violence within their holdings, and seek vengeance for any of their fallen - or lost artifacts. They burned Thyferra for a similar act when Munnilist was assailed by a misguided Galactic Alliance taskforce, and who was to say what they’d do after such a brazen attack on one of their treasured trophy worlds? Would they burn a known Jedi Sanctuary, or throw themselves at the Silver Jedi? I couldn’t tell, nor did a part of me wish to concern myself with such a dark, and grim future.

All I could do now was wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom