Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Temple House Call

T H E . T E M P L E . H O U S E . C A L L

0e562d3f61bd89aa9ce567527b3ac1ca.jpg

Ping: Inara Basai Inara Basai

DYnZ0fN.png

Had it been a day? Maybe two? Mathieu wasn't sure, all he knew was that he was better. The anti-slaver operation they had conducted had been a success. While he was still a bit iffy about the details on it, the former Mercenary had still been told the most important part by the healers - the slaves had been freed.

It was still early on in the morning back at the Silver Rest on Kashyyyk. But even then, Mathieu had been up for a couple of hours. Having spent many days on the field of battle, he had few qualms with remaining in place, quite and highly focused. It was often necessary and could, in the end of the day, save friendly lives. But lying around in bed for such a long time was different. Here, there was nothing to focus on - no sounds to listen after and communications with Base Command was naturally not part of the equation either. Instead, he just sat in his bed, occasionally giving his lower body a little workout and occasionally looking something up on the datapad.

There was a wardrobe in the corner of the room, containing his normal clothes. Someone had been kind enough to drop by his quarters to pick them up whilst also dumping the old ones. It was good, because when he would eventually be allowed to leave, it would be rather awkward walking around in a shirt with a big bullet hole in it. The Padawan's shoulder was still wrapped up in a thick layers of bandages and he had a strap which would ensure that he didn't move his arm too much. The bandages couldn't be seen easily from a first glance, however, seeing as they had given him a large and spacious tunic going all the way down below his knees.

"Are you awake already?" Mathieu looked at the figure standing in the doorway - it was one of the healers, the one who had been there to receive him at the Halls of Healing, in fact. "Yeah, I couldn't go back to sleep" The middle-aged human walked into the room with a clipboard at hand "Very well. How are you feeling?" "Pretty good, I guess. I don't get why you're keeping me here, really." "That is the anaesthesia speaking, Mathieu." she chuckled before continuing "I gave you one shot of bacta after doing what I could through the force. Defer from moving your shoulder for a few hours. Your medic did a good job and we have worked hard to fix you up. Do not let that go to waste." It was obvious that she knew what she was talking about and so, the Padawan sighed but nodded "Yeah, I'll be good" he said, fully intent on staying true to his word.

"Hey, can I at least finish that story from last night? You know, the time I was on Naboo?" He looked at her enthusiastically but she remembered for how long he could go on far too well and declined, speaking of having to tend to more patients. "Of course. Talk to you later." he said as she left the room. Mathieu sighed once more as his thoughts went to Inara whom had just - albeit indirectly - been mentioned. Bringing out his datapad, he then started to scroll through his contacts list to find Inara but let his thumb hover over the 'call' button for a while, remembering her speaking of a rather busy morning schedule.

Inara found herself at Silver Rest for a second time.

She'd agreed to meet Mathieu here again and to visit the Halls of Healing again – but this wasn't exactly the visit she'd had in mind. Like most days, she'd completed her morning routine – waking, formation, and physical training. But unlike most days, she was now wearing a pair of scrubs with a cardigan to keep her arms warm.

Her hand went up to grip the shoulder strap of a canvas tote bag as she walked at a brisk pace. She was eager to see Mathieu, this was the first chance she'd had to pay him a visit since he'd been admitted. Though, she'd followed along with every note added to his medical chart, just to keep informed – at least, that's what she told herself. In truth, she found worry creeping into her mind quite often as she thought of the Jedi Padawan.

Entering the Halls of Healing, she made her way to the patient suites, just like she had last time. However, this time – she located a healer and paused for a moment to speak. Then, she continued on towards Mathieu's room and placed a soft knock on the door before entering. Cracking the door and stepping inside, she offered a bright sunny smile.

“How's the patient doing this morning?” she asked, closing the door and moving to his bedside.

It was odd to see him in the hospital bed with a sling, but she was relieved to see that he seemed alert and in good health, despite the injury. Inara set her tote bag down onto the green chair by the window, and then moved to place her hands along the bed rails.

“It's good to finally see you,”
she admitted. “I've been worried – I'm sure Cas has been, too.” she said, remembering the concern his friend had shown back on Chroma Zed.

Mathieu Brion Mathieu Brion

Being around people gave him energy, but now the room fell silent once more. The healer had left and the only person remaining in the room was Mathieu himself. His gaze fell as he missed interacting with other persons. Perhaps visiting another patient would be a good idea? But then, many of the healer's morning routines were currently underway, the corridors were busy and morning check-ups were being conducted. The Padawan had been exceptionally lucky, both in regards to where in his shoulder the slug had hit and how much Inara had been able to help him. It meant that his visit lasted for a much shorter duration than it did for many of the other patients. But in the end, it was a good thing - it meant that he would reach a full recovery sooner.

Still, being alone was quite the downer. And then came the knocking. Mathieu looked up enthusiastically and had a bright smile form on his lips as he saw Inara step in. "Inara!" The Morellian spoke happily "Well, I think. At least the healers seem to think so. And I'm glad to have some company"

His eyes followed her as she put her bag down on the chair "Yeah, I'm glad you're here. Come" he said, raising his good arm to offer her a hug "I just can't move this side for now" he mumbled, now only being able to provide hugs with one side.

A scoff escaped him as a mischievous smile spread across his lips. Inara mentioned Cas being worried and while he believed it to be true, it was nigh on impossible to resist throwing a jab at the guy as they so often did "He was just afraid that he wouldn't be able to get back at me" The smile on his lips grew a little wider as he admitted "I kept nudging his seat on our way to there"

There was one important task on the Padawan's mind which he had yet to do, and so he spoke, once his amusement over his own joke had died down "I guess I owe you one, don't I?" he asked - while being knocked unconscious was detrimental towards getting a good grasp of the situation, it did not take a genius to realise that Inara had probably saved his life "Thanks" Mathieu's voice was soft as he let their eyes meet "That lunch is on me"

Inara Basai Inara Basai

The smile remained on her lips as Mathieu beckoned her over for a hug, and she leaned in to give him a friendly embrace – being careful not to disturb his injured arm. And she looked at him fondly as he mumbled about not being able to move his other arm. It was difficult sometimes for patients to slow down, but it was a very important part of their recovery.

“Ah,” Inara chuckled softly as Mathieu mentioned Cas, and the fact that he'd been nudging the back of his seat on the way to the slaver camp. “It all makes sense now.” She added, in jest.

She let quiet settle between them as she was about to turn towards her bag, but she paused when Mathieu spoke again. Her gaze softened as she looked at him, but she gave her head a shake, her curly hair bouncing back and forth as she did so.

“You don't owe me anything,” she said, reaching out to offer his good shoulder a reassuring squeeze. Inara hoped to save as many people as she could – but she expected nothing in return. Well, almost nothing... “But, I'll let you buy me lunch anyway,” she added, her grin returning. After another moment, she motioned to the scrubs she was wearing. “They let me come this morning as part of my training, and I can get your stitches out today – if that's okay with you. Bur first...”

Reaching into her bag, she pulled out a couple of items – the first was a small tin, which she handed to Mathieu, it was slightly warm to the touch. “Cookies,” she said, nodding towards the container. “I just made them before coming.”

Next, she pulled out a decorative card that said “get well soon,” which she had signed, and set it down on the little bedside table. And, finally, a stuffed bear that was the same camouflage pattern as the BDUs she normally wore. “An official Tactical Teddy,” she laughed and tucked the bear in with Matheiu.

He smirked as she mentioned letting him pay for the lunch anyways. It was nice - he knew that many medics and healers would do as she just did and refuse the idea of being owed something for 'just doing their duty'. It was the reason why he was extra happy about her accepting it. To him, it had meant quite a lot, that she had saved his life and his shoulder. In a way - and he had expressed this before - he held those who could work to save others in a very high regard.

With both Bacta and the force, the young Morellian expected scarring and the like to disappear soon enough - and an important first step to that would be to remove the stitches. A brief smile grew on his lips "That would be nice" he said, fully confident that she could do it just as well as any of the other healers. While he had come in a few times already, Inara was the one who he had been with the most - and not only when he was in the Halls of Healing, but also out on the battlefield.

Curiously, the Jedi Padawan looked to her as she mentioned something. His gaze followed her hand leaving his good shoulder and over to the bag. "For real?" he asked, obviously rather happy about what she had just presented "Inara, you really know how to win a guy over" he joked, letting out a hearty laugh before wrapping his hands around the tin box, one at the upper end of it and the other at the lower. It was awkward, seeing as moving both arms was a no-no. Slowly, Mathieu started to pull it open and soon closed his eyes to inhale deeply - enjoying the aroma thoroughly as his eyes closed "mmmm" He quickly grabbed one, not quite capable of resisting it for the moment. He then held the box out to her, offering her to also take a cookie.

Holding the cookie in his mouth, the former Mercenary carefully closed the lid with his good hand, keeping the box in place between his legs. Mathieu bit down, taking a surprisingly small bite all things considered - this one, he was going to enjoy. "There's more?" he asked upon seeing her pull out the get-well-soon card. Of course a smile formed on his lips as he read her well wishes and as soon has he had put it on the bed-side table and looked over to her again, he laughed. It was endearing and sweet "A teddy bear!" the exclamation was kept low as to not bother any of the other patients or worry a nurse, but his expression told a clear enough tale.

"You really thought of it all, didn't you?" the question came just moments before he took another bite "You made these yourself? They're great"

"It is a pity you couldn't have started training on me sooner" he joked as he started to think of how to get out of the long tunic. "Cookies, care, a nice card and nice company. What more could I wish for? Not to mention the teddy bear! If you ev-..." his generally happy demeanour quickly shifted as he trailed off. She had really been a ray of sunshine and the line of thought he had started to entertain was way too dark to even be slightly tolerable. Recovering quickly, he smiled "Well, let's just say that this will be pretty hard to top" Naturally, Mathieu continued to munch away on the cookie she had made. It tasted wonderful and just treating her to lunch started to feel a bit inadequate - but it was a problem for when he was free to move about which begged the question "So, Inara, I feel great. When will I be free to, you know, do stuff again?"

Inara Basai Inara Basai

Inara was thankful that Mathieu had agreed to let her learn while treating him. And her expression brightened as he received her gifts with enthusiasm. Her slim hand dipped into the tin when offered, she couldn't quite resist, either. Even though she'd already had a couple of cookies before coming. She laughed softly when he saw the bear; she carried them around on the battlefield now for just that reason – to make people happy.

“Yeah,” she said, finishing off her cookie. “These are called nankhatai from Chalacta – my home.”

The cookies were popular there, a crumbly short-bread spiced with aromatic cinnamon, cardamon, and nuts. It was her grandmother's recipe, passed down through the generations of the family.

Her brows rose slightly and her cheeks colored slightly when he mentioned that he'd have liked her to train on him sooner. Inara chuckled, too. But she canted her head to the side when he began to trail off. Inwardly, she wondered just what he was going to say. However, she'd let it slide this time.

“Well,” she started, when he said this would be hard to top. “Don't get injured again and I won't have to try!” Another giggle punctuated her point, a bit of lightheartedness.

Inara moved over to the sink to wash her hands and put on a pair of gloves and a sterile face mask. She moved over to the console by Mathieu's bedside and began to type in her credentials. “Let's see what we're working with here,” she said, and then projected a holographic image of his injured shoulder.

“You were quite lucky, really,” she said, looking at the image etched out before them in blue light. “The slug didn't severely impact the Brachial Plexus – the main cluster of nerves that allow the arm to function normally. Based on the next image,” which she switched to, “The healers were able to repair the damage.”

She stepped back to his bedside and motioned for him to lean forward slightly, so she could undo the little claps holding his tunic closed in the back. That way, she could lower the fabric to his waist and work on his shoulder.

“It looks like you have one more healing session this afternoon,” she nodded. “Depending on how that goes, you may even be discharged by tonight – but with some restrictions. For a while, you will still need to keep your shoulder stable and immobile, wearing a sling.” Inara thought for a moment. “No lifting your arm up, no lifting heavy objects, you know.”

"It wasn't me I was worried about" he thought upon hearing her say that he should avoid getting injured again. Mathieu remained still for a few moments before a smile formed on his lips only to playfully counter "I try, okay?" a few moments later and then adding a jestful "It would be easier if they gave me a lightsabre"

His eyes followed her as she made her way to the screen and activated the display. The imagery was clear enough and he had been shown these kinds of images in the past. But his gaze soon turned from the screen to Inara - he had never paid much attention to the medical details and the same remained true now. If he was told to do something, he always tried to comply and that had been enough for now. Of course, if he wanted to treat somebody else, he would need to know a thing or two about the inner workings of the body and so far, he had dismissed that as something which he simply was not built for. But then he remembered the idea of Inara getting hurt sometime. Biting his lower lip, Mathieu then turned back his focus to the screen - she was not presenting something too complicated, so he tried his best to follow along. It did not go very well.

Taking the long tunic off was always going to be hard on his own. So Mathieu was rather happy to see her walk over to his back to take the claps off for him and letting the clothes slide down along his upper body. The wound made its presence clear as the discoloured dark mark stuck out on his otherwise fair skin. With an irregular round shape, it stood in stark contrast to the Morellian's sculpted and almost symmetrical form. He turned, putting his head at an uncomfortable angle, to look at where the shot had impacted before. "Just one more, huh? Sounds like I'm getting off the hook lightly here" he said, sending her a meek smile.

Of course, it was a pity that his arm and significant part of his upper body would have to remain still for so long. But there were many imaginable scenarios which were worse. "That would be great" he paused for a moment and tried to spin it in as positive of a light as possible "I guess it will be leg day every day, huh? And for real this time. Might be for the best, if I had been a bit faster on my feet, I might not have been hit in the first place"

The large Morellian fell silent for a few moments as he waited for her to prepare for removing the stitches. This time, his gaze did not follow her as she worked, instead, it lingered by his feet "Chalacta, huh? I like to think that I've been all over the galaxy by now. I travelled a lot for different contracts before I joined the Order. Even spent some time on Alakatha - but that was for the beach, not work. But I don't think I've ever visited Chalacta" After searching his memory for a few moments, Mathieu asked "You system, it is pretty near, isn't it? Do you go home often?"

Inara Basai Inara Basai

Inara's eyes lingered on the bandages that currently covered the wound, her memories traveling back to Chroma-Zed momentarily. And once she'd removed the wrapping and gauze, she could see the wound clearly now, stitched up as it was.

“Well,” she started as she reached for a pair of small scissors. “You'll probably have additional healing sessions – maybe twice a week? But hopefully you'll be discharged soon.”

People were always more at ease in their own place. Sometimes, that little bit of home really sped along the healing process. And for others, at least it was a little comfort.

Every day will be leg day, at least until he healed up. She gave a nod, chuckling slightly. His toned musculature was quite visibly on display. Inara's eyes flickered towards his chest. Mathieu was built like a ranger, she mused. There were many in her ranks that would probably have been a little... jealous, even. And there was a soft flush of warmth on her cheeks, but she was thankful that the Jedi's eyes seemed to be focused straight ahead.

“I haven't been able to visit for a while,”
she said. “But it is pretty close. Once I have some leave, I'll go back for sure. It'll be nice to see my family.”

Inara smiled fondly at the thought of her mother and brother. She was a bit homesick, especially for her mother's cooking. A soft sigh escaped, somewhat near Mathieu's ear as she leaned in to work. After spraying a bit of local anesthetic, she admired the tidy stitch work for just a moment before starting to snip. She worked methodically, her slender hand steady.

“I know you said you've been all over the galaxy,”
she said, glancing to Mathieu for a moment. “But where's home for you?”

He looked over to her as she spoke of using her leave. There was still a hint of the rosy red colour on her cheeks - at this point, Mathieu had seen it a few times and was starting to grow more and more fond of it. A soft smile grew on his lips as his eyes lingered for a few moments, waiting for her to complete the sentence. "That sounds like a plan. But don't you Rangers have tasks to do on there too? Surely they must let you station yourself back at your home planet for a little bit?" In all honesty, he did not quite know how they operated and what he said was just what he imagined they would work like.

For someone who had needed aid a few times, the anesthetic spray bottle was easy enough to recognise. "Thanks" he mumbled as he craned the head sharply to the side to see her at work. Inara's fingers seemed to handle the delicate task well and along with the anesthetic, it resulted in a smooth and painless process.

The next question was a fair one - where was his home? "I'm from Morellia, born and raised. It is pretty far from here - I haven't gone back to pay my parents a visit in a long time now" he said but seemingly without much regret. Mathieu had been brought up in a rather martial environment where training and preparation was key and respect towards his elders was demanded. Discipline had been a big thing - he had not grown as close to his parents as many other children had - but still, there was mutual fondness between them and a strong sense of duty to one another.

But the question was not where he was from - it was where his home was. And to Mathieu, the answer to that was not the same. "But my home is where my heart is. And right now, that is here." he said, looking her in the eyes for a bit longer than intended. The sentence could be interpreted to mean many different things, and the Padawan was not sure if he would have minded if she made the 'wrong' interpretation. Still, after a way too long pause, he spoke again "The Order has bee good to me. Here, I have a better sense of purpose and direction. We do good things and there is no lack of excitement either."

He watched her as she was finishing the task and offered her another hug as she was done along with an easy "Thanks, Inara" before letting his good hand search for another delicious cookie "Tonight will be interesting. I haven't tried to make food one-handed since forever. Maybe I can bribe someone from my class to do it form me" he chuckled.

Inara Basai Inara Basai

Inara tilted her head to the side in thought. “I'm sure I could request a post on Chalacta if I had a good reason,” she said with a nod. “But for now, I'd like to gain all sorts of experience – and being stationed here on Kashyyyk really is the best.”

As she snipped and removed stitches, she listened. Inara did angle quite a curious glance at Mathieu when he mentioned having not seen his parents for a long time. There wasn't any sadness or longing in his words, that she could glean on the surface at least. However, she knew that family dynamics were different for everyone.

Then, their eyes met.

"But my home is where my heart is. And right now, that is here."

She stood, gloved-hands idle, getting lost in Mathieu's blue eyes for the longest time. And, speaking of hearts, her own gave such a flutter that she thought she might swoon on the spot. It was only when he mentioned the Order that she finally broke eye contact, her hands working fast – almost jittery– as she applied new gauze and placed a new bandage over top.

When she was done, she gave a bashful smile as he pulled her in for another hug. This time, she fought the urge to linger there next to him and then turned her attention to cleaning up. But she looked up when he mentioned cooking.

“I'll do it,” she blurted out, and then felt the heat rising in her face. “I mean, I'm glad to help – only if you want me to, that is.” Inara's eyes widened slightly. She certainly didn't want to force her presence on him. “I, uh, like to cook... and that way, you won't have to bribe anyone.” she said, adding a nervous laugh.

Mathieu was still waiting for the numbness in the shoulder to go away after the anesthetics. She had done a good job overall, even though he thought that her technique seemed almost frantic at times. His eyes quickly darted up to hers as she mentioned that she would help him cook.

Despite wanting to respond, Mathieu remained silent. Inara didn't stop speaking after having made the initial offer, instead she went on, seemingly letting her cheeks get more rosy as her demeanour became more nervous. Mathieu's mind was clouded by his own feelings, however, ensuring that his capability to lean back and look at the situation properly was diminished. Without hesitation, he smiled, nodded and said "Sure" He was glad that the opportunity to spend more time with her had presented itself, something which could be heard in the enthusiasm with which he spoke.

"I've got plenty of groceries in the fridge. It'll be fun! Will you stay for a while too? After all the time here, I sure could use some company. I've got Pazaak, Dejarik and a few movies. We could do anything." His face carried a bright smile as he spoke of what they could do with a great sense of anticipation. The duo had spent a fair amount of time together and he was rather comfortable in her presence.

But then, he thought of Inara. She had dropped plenty of ways out for him. Did she really want to come or was it just something she said to be kind? "But, you know. I could probably just raid Cas' place for food, it's alright." he said with his gaze dropping slightly. "I know you're busy with work and you've already done so much for me. Look, we-..." he tried to keep his spirits and hopes up as he offered her a way out - but the last sentence was never completed.

The door swooshed open and a large Besalisk waddled into the room "Brion, you're up. Meditation Chamber one floor up. Wanna walk or shall I haul you over there?" the nurse spoke with a harsh voice - he could often come across as a disciplinarian but the patients who had interacted a bit with him knew that he only had their well being in mind. The four-armed alien approached fast from the other side of the bed and put two arms by his lower back to give him a little push. "Come on up. Sunlight's burnin'" "Yeah, yeah, yeah, alright, easy" Mathieu tried to calm the nurse down as he was helped up onto his feet again.

As soon as Mathieu threw a glance back at the Ranger, the Besalisk stopped for a moment "What? Are you bringing company?" he asked upon which the Jedi Padawan produced a one-shouldered shrug "I don't know, am I?" he asked, looking to Inara as the alien slowly started to push him towards the exit again.

Inara Basai Inara Basai

Inara was already thinking of things she could make for Mathieu when he agreed. She didn't know what his favorite food was yet, but she figured she could always treat him to a dish from Chalacta, especially since her home had just been the topic of conversation. She smiled when he mentioned a full fridge and games and movies. And just when she was beginning to get excited to spend the evening with him, Mathieu's tone changed.

Again, he mentioned getting some food from Cas – a friend.

“Oh,” she said, her expression suddenly downcast. But the moment of awkward silence was interrupted by a large Basalisk entering. And she wondered, silently, if her enthusiasm had been off-putting somehow. Or if he would rather be hanging out with... a friend other than her. Or if she had somehow given him the wrong impression. However, as she watched the four-armed nurse pushing Mathieu out of the room, she knew she needed to act fast.

She moved quickly after them, following out into the hallway.

“I don't want to interrupt the meditation, and I have to get back to the base soon, anyway.” Inara's glance shifted from the nurse to Mathieu, her gaze soft and apologetic. Then, she stood a little bit taller and looked back to the nurse.

“But let me escort him,” she said, nodding. The badge pinned to her scrubs did say “staff,” at least for the day. “I'll make sure he gets there – I promise.” she said, giving the alien an unwavering look. He looked skeptical for a moment, but he soon continued on his way down the hall, mumbling to himself.

A small smile found its way back onto her lips, and she looked up at Mathieu. “C'mon, we better go...” The nurse had paused down the hall, watching them with narrowed eyes over his shoulder.

“So,” she started, once they'd gotten into the lift. “I don't have any plans later. I'll come by to cook for you later – and we can eat together.” Inara looked at him, wide-eyed and hopeful. The ride up one floor didn't take long, and when they got out of the lift, she added. “I'd actually love to watch a movie, it's been ages."

While his face often carried a sense of enthusiasm, Mathieu's spirits visibly seemed to drop a bit as the mentioned having to go back to base "Of course" he said - it had been naive of him to assume that she might come with him in the first place. Of course, work was pretty important. But the optimism soon returned as she stood up to the Besalisk in order to take him to the Meditation Chamber herself.

Once the alien was far away enough, the Jedi Padawan leaned in towards her and spoke with a hushed voice to not let him hear what she said to her "Brave of you to offer to take me there when you're just here for the second time." A mischievous smirk grew on his lips as he feigned innocence "What if we get lost on our way there." Naturally, he knew the way and the importance of the healing session - but in truth, Mathieu would have been happy to spend some more time with her. "Thanks, by the way. You probably saved me from a less than comfortable journey."

It made him very glad to hear her refrain from taking the path out of coming by later which he had opened for her earlier. A bright smile grew on his lips as his eyes sparkled happily "It's a d-.." Mathieu found himself almost walking into the same trap that she had last time. His eyes seemed to freeze and his mind was working at twice the pace to figure out how to work it out "...-eeeeal" 'It's a deal' This was awkward. A stale smile grew on his lips - in a way, this had been more daunting than many of the battles he had fought "I'll message you the exact corridor and room number."

***​

After a few hours, Mathieu would once again find himself back in his humble living quarters. The former Mercenary tended to keep it rather tidy but after the visit by the person who picked up his clothes and left the old ones, it was still not as clean as it could have been. Throwing the dirty clothes into the washing machine and closing the closet from which his current clothing was taken was one thing - but his armour laid in a heap over in the corner, still dirty, damaged and in need of maintenance. It would have to wait until another time.

The fridge was full with high quality ingredients - the Padawan enjoyed cooking himself, it was an interest which he and Inara seemed to share. So that was not a problem - what was a problem, however, was turning the bed sofa back from a bed into a sofa. Trying to push down the centre part with his one foot, Mathieu pulled up with his good arm - but without the balance of being able to use two limbs, the task seemed nigh on impossible. With a sight, he sat down on what still looked very much like a bed, slowly coming to terms with how much harder everything would be with just the one arm.

Having left the door open to make it easier for her to find her way there, trusting that nobody in the Temple would do him any harm nor minding the occasional company from people dropping by, he waited. Naturally, Mathieu would not be able to remain idle for long and after a brief restless leg workout, he moved over to start washing some of the vegetables.

Inara Basai Inara Basai

After bidding Mathieu farewell at the Halls of Healing, Inara had walked back to the base with a spring in her steps. She'd finished up her work for the day, a task easier said than done – as her head seemed to be in the clouds. Or rather, buried in mental recipe cards.

But once her day was done and the base started to grow rowdy with hungry rangers, Inara slipped away from the masses. She showered and dressed in her civvies; a pair of comfortable pants and a big sweater. It felt odd to be out of uniform, but this was a social call – and it was something she'd wear off duty. Once she'd dried her hair, she gave it a bit of a shake to settle the waves about her shoulders. And her eyes shifted to a small – rarely used – pouch.

Should she wear some makeup? It wasn't.. a date. But Inara suddenly found herself very conscious of her appearance. And there was something of a desire to look nice or presentable at least. Opening the pouch, she pulled out a tube of berry-colored lip balm and applied some to her lips. It gave a nice flush of color without being terribly obvious.

She gathered up some cookie supplies, mainly exotic spices that Mathieu wouldn't have on hand. And some fresh flatbread that just needed to be heated up. As for the menu, she was still unsure – but she knew she'd have a better idea once she saw the ingredients. It'd be fun, like one of the holo-shows where contestants must come up with dishes on the spot. With the things tucked safely into her tote, she set off for the temple once more.

Inara made her way down the designated corridor and to the specified room.

Peeking her head in the door, which was open and waiting, she stepped inside. “Hey, Mathieu – I'm here,” she called, not wanting to startle him. But as soon as she had closed the door behind her, she spotted him washing vegetables. “Hi,” she said again, smiling wide.

And then, her eyes shifted to the fold-out bed. Inara blinked, her dark gaze finding the Jedi again, but her smile remained.

Precognition, enhancement and force sense. Those were the three main areas in which Mathieu had trained in and right now, he was trying to find Inara. They had worked together for some time now so he hoped that her signature would stand out clearly enough despite being surrounded by so many other Jedi.

And there she was - he seemed to sense a warm and almost a little fuzzy feeling nearby - it was impressive, because it even seemed like he could hear her voice. It was disappointing for the large Morellian to find out that he had not really sensed her through the force - she was actually already in his chambers. Whatever negative thoughts he had were quickly brushed away "Inara!" he exclaimed, putting down the vegetable in his hand, turning off the water and wiping his hand off of a towel. With a bright smile on his lips, he approached her with long strides. Opening his one arm wide, he hoped to catch her for a hug, to quickly give her a little squeeze against his good side.

It was hard not to notice how much softer she seemed and felt now that she just wore the big sweater instead of her typical uniform. It was a nice change which the former Mercenary welcomed and upon releasing her from the hug, he would linger let his eyes linger for a bit. For a reason which he couldn't pinpoint, she seemed to be looking a bit differently than normal aside from the clothing. But it would remain a mystery to the Padawan who simply let out a short "Looking good. It is nice to see you out of the uniform" He had been more boring and still wore the same t-shirt that they had helped him get into back at the Halls of Healing - switching while still only being allowed to use one arm was very very hard.

"I'm so glad to see you here" he spoke with an excited tone as he welcomed her in. It was easy to get a good view of the room from the entrance, and he did noticed her eyes hone in on his bed. He chuckled awkwardly and joked "I haven't been able to make this as presentable as I'd like to. But come back once I'm all healed up and you'll be visiting the cleanliest quarters in the Temple." It was probably not true seeing as he wasn't nearly fanatical enough to compete with some of the others.

Turning around, he lead the way over to the kitchen area where he had washed some of the more commonly used vegetables "I got myself a little head start. Figured that I'd do what I could before letting you take over. Here, let me show you what we've got." he said, first pointing to the vegetables casually and then opening the fridge. One of the shelves had mostly been cleared out with most of its contents now having been washed. The other shelves were filled with different kinds of food. Naturally, Mathieu consumed a large amount of protein, something which could probably be seen in the proportions of what he had - but unlike many others, he had a rather varied range of meats and clearly cared about the taste of what he ate a lot too.

They had been looking at the contents of his fridge for a few moments when the Morellian turned to look down at her with a sincere "Thanks again for coming. I'm afraid that I'll be a pretty poor host tonight, but I'll try to make it up to you in the future"

Inara Basai Inara Basai

Inara leaned into the hug, giving him a little squeeze while also still being careful of his injury. When he complimented her appearance, she reached a hand up to tuck a few curly strands of hair behind her ear, maybe in attempt to hide the fact that she was already blushing. “Thanks,” she said, smiling softly.

“I'm glad to be here,” she responded, nodding. “Your place looks just fine. Much cleaner than mine, actually.” Inara chuckled. Following him into the kitchen, she had a peek at the vegetables. Root vegetables, potatoes, some leafy greens – she could make this work. Next, she pulled out a portion of Endorian Chicken; poultry would be great for this meal.

As Inara turned towards the counter to start cooking, she glanced over at Mathieu. “Anytime,” she said, nodding. It was heartwarming; and she felt that same flutter she'd experienced at his bedside earlier that day. Really, she was looking forward to spending more time with him -- ever since they 'd first met on Taris, in fact. “You still need to take it easy. So, just sit back and relax – and keep me company,” Inara said, adding a small chuckle.

“So,” she said as she pulled some ingredients out of her tote. “I thought I'd treat you to a Chalactan dinner tonight.” There were a few little bottles of spices; which ranged in color from bright yellow to deep red, a bag of rice that also had a golden hue, and the package of flatbread.

“This isn't the good stuff,”
she said, poking the bread. “Someday, I'll make you the real thing. There's nothing better than fresh naan!” Inara smiled at the thought of cooking for Mathieu again. Sharing meals was not only a great way to get to know someone, but it was – to Inara – something like a ritual of bonding. It was something that most people needed, an easy way to find something in common. And based on the selection of high quality goods in his fridge, she already gleaned that Mathieu liked to cook, too.

“What sort of stuff do you normally cook?”
she asked as she began to add some spices to the chicken, along with some salt for seasoning.

Sitting back and relaxing were far from Mathieu's favourite things. But he was more than happy to keep her company. A smile spread across his face as he looked down at her by the kitchen counter. Instead of moving back to the chair, he walked around her back to the other side and leaned in against the fridge with his good side and let out a sweet "Sure" It was a nice spot to stand on - he didn't feel as removed from what she was doing and could see what she was up to rather clearly. And when he leaned in a little over the counter, he could see her face too.

"Chalactan? Can't say I've had that before" he admitted but soon squinted "Or wait, let me think for a moment." Faint memories of a street market on Commenor washed about in his mind but in the end, nothing concrete presented itself at which point he let out a brief and somewhat awkward laugh "Still, nothing, sorry. But hey, I'll get to try something new!" The young Morellian studied the items she brought out from her tote with interest. Being a fan of cooking himself, he was rather curious to see what she was bringing.

Mathieu let out a hearty laugh after hearing her speak of the bread not being of the best quality as he leaned in to have a closer look at it "Well, it looked good! Made my mouth water." Standing up straight for a few moments, he reached for the package to soak in some of its aroma "It smells lovely, are you sure you didn't bring the wrong pack?" he asked, rather curious about what the good bread was if this was just mediocre.

Leaning back at the fridge, he continued watching her cook. A long and drawn out "Well" escaped his lips as she asked what he tended to cook. "I spend so much time out on the fields, even during training - so I usually just prepare a bunch of sandwiches or a salad. It's just easier to eat while out and about - and it doesn't need heating up either. I tend to work a lot with bantha and porg and those guys over there" he said, pointing to a few herb plants by the windowsill "If this all goes well" he said, glancing at his injured shoulder "I could make some bantha steak next time. I've been experimenting with this red wine sauce for a while"

After a little bit, the former Mercenary grew silent. Cooking had always been a great way to relax - maybe not quite as efficient as a good workout, but it was up there. And standing there watching Inara cook seemed to have the same effect. Without even thinking about it, a soft smile started to grow on Mathieu's lips - he felt calm and at peace. Eventually, his gaze started to drift from the counter to her face. But then he snapped out of it - he had been staring and quickly tried to look away, hoping that she had not noticed. Scurrying for something to cover for what he had just done, he blurted out whatever came to mind "So you're messy?" the words slipped out faster than he could think and for a moment, he looked like a deer in the headlights. Once again, he scrambled "Uhh, in your room, I mean" His eyebrows stood high as he tried to convey innocence but there was no denying that it was now his turn to have slightly reddening cheeks.

Inara Basai Inara Basai

Inara only smiled when he admitted to not having tried Chalactan food before. “Hang around with me long enough, and you'll get to try lots of Chalactan dishes.” Even at the base, she made time to cook a meal for herself at least once a week. It was a little taste of home that was very comforting. Though, she had to admit that her taste for things like bantha burger and fries had grown since joining the rangers. And pizza, too. She was thankful to see that Mathieu was enthusiastic about trying something new.

“I mean, it's... good,” she said, watching with a giggle as he smelled the bread. Indeed it would carry the aroma of garlic, but glanced up at him, searching for the right words. “You know, nothing beats fresh bread – especially when you make it yourself.”

It was also a good way to relief stress, punching and kneading the dough. And she realized that Mathieu might actually enjoy learning the process. This lesson would have to wait, of course, until his shoulder had fully healed. Once the chicken was in the pan and the curry sauce was just starting to heat up, Inara set about chopping the potatoes into smaller pieces and dropped them into a pot of water.

“Ah,” she said, briefly turning to look at him. “Sandwiches.” Inara said the word with a very fond smile that lit up her face with warmth. And her eyes lit up when he mentioned the herbs growing in his windowsill. “Wow, you really grew those? I've never tried to grow anything before.”

She gave both the pots a quick stir, and then glanced to the side to see Mathieu looking at her. But his eyes darted away from hers rather quickly. And then, her brows arched when he asked if she was messy. For the first time (at least that she'd noticed), Mathieu had a slight rosy hue to his fair complexion. Adorable.

“Uh, yeah,” she said, losing her train of thought – she'd been about to say that she'd love to try the bantha steak. Instead, she looked back at Mathieu – lost in the same stare he'd been in just a moment before. And, trying to reach to the side to stir the chicken, her knuckles touched the edge of the hot pan.

“Ow!” Inara yelped, quickly withdrawing her hand and letting the wooden spoon drop onto the counter.

It was a lovely thought, to spend more time with Inara and make different foods together. Mathieu would love to learn more about Chalactan cuisine - just the armoa of what she had made so far made him eager to experience more of it. And baking bread with someone who knew what they were doing sounded wonderful. The fact that this someone was Inara was a big plus. The Padawan snapped out of his thoughts as she asked if he really grew herbs himself. "It's nothing too serious. But you know, just like baking your own bread, using your own herbs just makes it get that little something extra. Back on Morellia, we used to have a little greenhouse in the garden. Just for tomatoes and stuff"

And then came the awkward question he asked followed by her short "Uh, yeah," It had been quite some time since he last wanted to disappear as much as he did now. Standing there and trying not to look at her, he had trouble finding the right words - or any words, for that matter.

But as soon as he heard her yelp, Mathieu quickly turned back. His eyes swept past her wild hair, face and down to her hand. Figuring out what had happened was not hard and he immediately sprung into action. Leaving the fridge behind, he took a step towards her and turned on the cold water. "You alright?" he asked, neither bothering to pronounce the words clearly nor waiting for a response. Instead, he took her wrist in his hand and brought it in under the cold water. They stood close now, but Mathieu's full focus was on her hand and looking it over for nasty burn marks. If he saw something particularly bad, he would close his eyes and try to do what he could through the force to make it better - even though his capacity to heal was rather limited. Otherwise, he would just hold on to her wrist under the water and keep a worried eye on it.

Inara Basai Inara Basai

“Yeah – I think so,” she said, and found a moment later that Mathieu was guiding her gently to the sink. The cool water ran over her knuckles, instantly bringing some relief. Inara's eyes were not on the burns, but the kind way Mathieu's fingers curled around her wrist to keep it steady under the flow of water.

As she drew a breath in, she realized just how close he was standing.

She didn't move away. In fact, she was tempted to just stay this way. But the burns weren't all that bad, and speaking of burning – she did not want to burn their dinner. Her knuckles were a little red and the sting would linger for a while to come, but she could still function. It wasn't bad at all compared to some of the wounds she'd seen, after all.

Reaching out, she turned off the faucet after another moment. And turning towards him slightly, she looked up. Lingering this close, her heart gave another flutter. “Thanks,” she said, the word sounding a bit more breathless than she'd anticipated.

“I'll be okay,” she said, offering a reassuring smile up at him. Her eyes shifted back towards the stove, where the food was cooking away, sending drifts of spiced steam up towards the ceiling. Then, Inara's eyes moved back to her wrist, which was still Mathieu's tender grasp. Still, she didn't pull away – but a soft rosy hue was growing on her face again.

And the air around them felt... warm and fuzzy somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom