Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Soldier and Scholar

Midvinter
College Of Enlightenment

The snow was picking up slightly, just a bit though. The long stretch of steps that reached the ten thousandth mark could be a long journey for those that weren't prepared for it. Luckily there were watchtowers all along the steps to guide those and also detect anything and anyone that were here to do harm to the College. His first time witnessing the marvel that was the College he was in awe, it was truly a magnificent sight to behold. This would be his only second time to grace the wonderous halls and hopefully some knowledge of what was and what had been would give him the will power and fortitude necessary to continue his journey. And the most important thing, continue to give him the ability to fight for Heavenshields and their name for as long as could.

Truth be told, he was quite surprised when Thurion had named him Commander of his Lion Guard, while he was still young, he had the feeling that there were many more that were better suited than he was. It wasn't that he was questioning the Kings decision, perhaps he was just unsure of his own abilities. And he often wondered if Thurion thought too highly of him, then again he had know the King for a long time, his father fought for him and his mother knew the family well. It was one of those things that was meant to be.

He fell into the position rather better than he thought, he would remain calm and clear under pressure and always respect those under his command, and in turn he found that they were better able to respect him in turn. He took the roles and what his father and Thurion had taught him about being a leader and warrior, and what his mother had taught him about grace, wisdom and the heart.

On a funnier note, he did have to admit that his tactics tended to be a little more pushy than not. He took the job of protector of house Heavenshield very seriously and tended to be a little over protective, he had to correct himself. The Jedi couldn't quite remember how many times exactly he apologized to Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield for his constant watchful eye at times.

Arden secured the cloak around him more securely as he made his way towards the Courtyard and he couldn't help but smile as he glanced around. He love this, every part of it. He could sit here and meditate, ready and even just focused his energy for hours on end if necessary.

That oath extended beyond Thurion and Coci, and towards their children and family as well. Arden knew that Nina was within these walls majority of the time. He had seen her at times, but never fully engaged himself in conversation. Although he knew that her communication had been limited to what the mind and the force could show from his understanding anyway. Arden patrolled the hallways as often as he did, more so even when he was on break or down time he was always on guard. His patrol and such continued leading to the higher floors. It just so happened he passed by a classroom and he could see Nina Heavenshield Nina Heavenshield inside. The commander opted to not disturb her, however he did want to give a brief greeting.

No class today?

Arden inquired through the force as he showed a formal bow towards Nina. He showed a small warm smile towards the Princess.

Forgive my intrusion Princess, I do not intend to take up too much of your time. I was simply making my rounds, and thought to stop in and say hello. I trust your day is going well?

She was, admittedly, a tad lost in thought by the time the captain of the royal guard appeared in her doorway. Her office had lately received a new occupant in the form of a small field mouse Nina had taken to call Bubbles, named such for his abundance of energy and the many antics he would undertake. She was sitting at her desk, absent-mindedly stroking the tiny rodent's back with one index finger.

Then, suddenly, there appeared a voice in her head. She quickly turned to find the Lion Guard Commander standing at her threshold.

She attempted to answer, but when no words were uttered she blushed as she hurried to put on the device around her neck which allowed her thoughts to form words. She'd also perfected the art of moving her lips as if the voice came from her vocal chords.

"Lord Commander," she stood so she could return his bow in typical Jedi fashion. "Sorry, I... I was just lost in thought. You surprised me." Even though he'd patrolled the grounds for the past few hours. "Please, come in."

Her hands fidgeted, pulling at the front of her robes.

"Father is... He's gone off to help fight the Bryn'adûl, as I'm sure you already know." There was a look of defeat on her face as she slumped back down in her chair. Bubbles came nuzzling up to her hand, and as Nina turned her palm facing upwards the mouse ran up her arm until he settled upon her shoulder where he would sit observing the world around him.

"It's never going to be enough, is it," she asked, not expecting an answer. "No matter his efforts, no matter his sacrifices, the rest of the galaxy can't seem to leave him in well enough alone. He's been at war all his life; why is it never enough?"

There was a hint of anger in her tone, resentment for the state of the galaxy demanding that the sweet man that was her father should become another victim of its inherent belligerence.

Last edited:
Arden bowed his head once again as he seemed to have flustered her somewhat and that wasn't his intent, he felt somewhat bad about it. "Forgive me once more, I didn't mean to startle you." The commander raised his head again as he stood up and accept her invitation to come in and he did so with his hands behind his back. He couldn't help but take a look around the room briefly while she reached for some sort of device that was donned around her neck. Arden couldn't exactly hide his surprise when she began to speak and he showed a truly big smile. "That's extraordinary Princess, you have an incredible voice."

The Jedi cleared his throat somewhat as he hoped he wasn't to rash with his words. He was just caught off guard, he wasn't aware of this technology that was created. It truly showed how far things had come, the ability to project voice activation, granted Arden was sure there was some sort of force attunement that it required to those that wielded it. It was just incredible and it actually raised Arden's already lifted spirits as he took the daily walk.

She mentioned Thurion being gone, and Arden nodded his head perhaps feeling somewhat as she did. Not so much that he was gone again, but more so that he wasn't there with him. Granted, Thurion had been great long before Arden took this position and he was more than sure that his Majesty would be perfectly fine long after he was gone. The commander didn't believe that he was so powerful that no one could get past him. Arden just knew that he would never be able to forgive himself if something happened to Thurion and he was just here patrolling. That being said, this was a war and they all had their part to play, and Arden had orders to follow. He wasn't the only kings guard member, simply a commander.

"I know..." Arden spoke softly as he nodded his head, he understood where she was coming from. He was her father, and she wanted him home, safe and resting. He had done his service to the galaxy, fought in countless wars. "Thurion is a strong individual with an incredible will. There are many people who count on him, more than we may ever know." Arden took a deep breath before he continued, glancing around almost as if he was trying to collect his thoughts. "If I may Princess....I honestly believe that if your father were to stop he may never fully rest."

Arden took a few steps closer and he showed a small smile as his gaze fell on the mouse on her shoulder. It was innocent, cute, the commander couldn't help but notice it. "What is his name?

Nina Heavenshield Nina Heavenshield

However little she wished to accept it, the Lord Commander's words about her father had truth to them. All throughout her upbringing in her father's care she'd known him to want to help anyone and everyone he could, as if his kindness and generosity knew no limits. She understood this about him, and yet the selfish part of her wanted him to remain safe at home in the company of his family and kinsmen. Why couldn't the rest of the galaxy just move on without having to rely on Thurion Heavenshield to lead the charge.

Sometimes she wished his name and deeds were not as famous as they have become. That they were just a normal family that did not have to worry about a father or brother getting themselves killed on some far-off planet.

But as the Lord Commander then changed the subject, the fair lady mustered a faint smile as the attention was drawn to the rodent on her shoulder.

"I named him 'Bubbles'. Silly name, I know, but I think it fits him quite well. Always up and about, aren't you, Bubbles?" She gave it another pet on its tiny furry head.

"Speaking of names, I don't think I was ever told yours. All I really know about you is your title, I'm afraid."

Gesturing towards another chair by her desk, it seemingly pushed itself out for him to sit on. "Please, won't you sit?"

With worries about her father set aside for the time being, she felt her spirits lifted somewhat.

"Tell me about yourself. You're quite young to be leading such an elite group."

Arden slowly nodded his head when she mentioned his name and he smiled. It was something so simple yet something about the situation that brought to light in the commanders mind. It wasn't a sense of innocence or anything of that sort. He couldn't quite describe it in that exact moment. But it did make him feel warm inside, granted every time he was in the presence of the heavenshields he always felt this way. The more Arden seemed lost in thought for a few brief seconds as he discovered perhaps it was their presence that lifted everyone around them up. That strong, persistent yet unyielding spirit to do good and to hope was something that was.....inspirational.

The commanded cleared his throat and chuckled slightly. "Of course, thank you Princess." Arden said quickly as he took a seat. "My name is Arden, Arden Durane."

The young man placed his hands in front of him as he glanced down for a moment before looking up to her just as she inquired about him.

"Indeed, I'm still curious about that myself." Arden said with a small smile, in reference to her question about him leading Thurion's Elite group. He knew more than anything that Thurion had his reasons, and other than that first time that he questioned it, he wouldn't do so again. It was still puzzling to him, however he knew he would continue to preform as admirably as he possibly could. "I am of both Valkryi and Aelvar blood, Astor my father served in Thurions lion guard and my mother Liana is that of Aelvar. My family and Thurion both sensed that I was force sensitive and I was trained in those ways, not just Jedi but even here in Midvinter. I served with the Silvers for almost fifteen years. After I heard about what happened, I opted to return here and well....pledge my life to the Heavenshields.....all of them."

Nina poured him a glass of water as he shared with her his name and background, offering him it before pouring another for herself. She placed Bubbles back on her desk, watching him scurry off to climb into his make-shift bed in the shape of a lidless box where she used to keep her spare voice-activator. After the original got stepped on by her own horse and rendered broken, that spare now sat securely around her neck, thus leaving the box vacant.

"Arden," she used his name for the first time.

"I think I know exactly why my father chose you," she smiled. "He's always had this uncanny ability to know a person's heart just from looking at them, often times better than the person knows themself. He chose you, because he believes you are the best person for the job. Because he knows you will not fail or falter in your duty, and that your loyalty is absolute. But most of all, he chose you because you are a good person."

She realised that throughout her little monologue her hand had found its way to his, meant to reassure him by way of a gentle touch. She caught herself blushing and pulled away from him. She'd never really acted so familiar with anyone outside of family.

Nina stood and stepped over to the glass door leading outside, and gestured for the Lord Commander to join her out on the balcony for some fresh air.

"I can honestly say I know the feeling, though. All throughout my teenage years I traveled the land searching for knowledge, learning about the traditions of even the most remote settlements and peoples. When my father was crowned King, we talked about putting what I've collected to good use. We built this place, this College, so that it could be shared with everyone. I assisted in the search for wise people to staff it, but I'd never considered myself for the position I find myself in."

She placed her gloved hands on the cold guard rail, gazing out upon the absolutely stunning scenery surrounding the College. They chose this site for a reason, after all.

"This is not the life I was born into," she felt compelled to disclose. "I was just another orphan girl from Umbara by the time Thurion found me. I became the daughter to a loving father, and later a loving mother. I became a Jedi, a scholar, a wanderer. And now I am High Loremaster of the College of Enlightenment... and a princess."

She turned to Arden, now leaning against the railing.

"You're the only one who keeps calling me that, you know."

"Thank you." Arden spoke politely as he took the glass of water from Nina Heavenshield Nina Heavenshield and took a small drink, followed by another before he set the glass down. And it was then she spoke to him about perhaps why he was chosen. Perhaps it was the smile, or maybe because it was coming from the princess herself. Arden then knew perhaps he was just happy he heard those words from some one else who didn't know him too well. He was sure Thurion and even his own mother and father would say what was necessary to ensure Arden of why he could have been selected. But after listening to Nina's words and the smile she gave him it gave him much more reassurance. It wasn't until she noticed, that her hand was on his and he chuckled lightly.

"Sorry." Arden whispered before realizing that he wasn't even sure why he said that. The funny thought replayed in his mind and he couldn't help but smile.

The Commander followed her beckon as they went out towards the balcony, a cold gust of air crept up on him but he was bundled up quite nicely so it didn't effect him so much. He rather enjoyed the cold at times, he did live on Midvinter for over ten years. Now that the Jedi was back, he was getting used to things again, it didn't take to long though.

Midvinter never truly left him, just like he never truly left here.

He was glad she understood where he was coming from, as he turned to look at her as she spoke. She mentioned what was collected over her time and that was what led to this place being built. Arden took a deep breath, the cold air filling his lungs. His gaze scanning the landscape before him and taking in the natural beauty of this place. "You did a great job from what I can see. Perhaps you were put in your role because someone sees you as you see me."

She spoke of something else, that Arden honestly wasn't aware of. He turned to her as he listened, as she put her life at the beginning was much different. Thurion was truly a good....great man for his deeds far and wide and his ability to see people, anyone. "I'm glad he found you." Arden responded and that was when she turned and spoke of the title and he couldn't help but turn the smallest shade of red in his cheeks.

"Am I....that's strange to hear that I'm the only one. I'm sure there are others that do, call you Princess......" Arden laughed as he rubbed his chin slightly before he looked to her again. "Would you prefer I call you Nina, would that be okay?" The commanded inquired with a small smile.

"Well, I'd rather they didn't, if that is the case," she pulled her cloak around her tighter as a cold gust of wind tore through her being, chilling her to the bone.

"I've been called Jedi, Wanderer, High Loremaster... These are monikers I know and earned, but 'Princess'?" She shook her head. "Father was crowned king out of necessity, but I never wanted to be seen as better than anyone else. To be some higher being others should look up to, or pay homage to. I'm just... Nina," she shrugged.

"Besides, how can people look up to me when I'm the shortest being on this world," she added with a soft laugh.

Nina turned to look out towards the west, past the mountainranges to the city of Heavenheim. Home.

"On a clear day, I can spend hours standing in this very spot and see all the way to the ocean. Like tiny jewels glistening in every colour imaginable on the horizon. I've tried putting that same view down on canvas, but I can never seem to get those colours just right."

She sighed before marching back inside her office.

"Oh, but I'm rambling on about such tedious things! I'm keeping you from your duties, aren't I?"

"You know you are more than that." Arden said with a small smile as drummed his fingers along the railing as another cool breeze blew by that even made Arden shiver. Truth be told, the hybrid was quite happy to take up this calling. The royal family apart from his Lionguard brothers as well as his own mother and father. He didn't have anyone else outside of that circle. While he spent a great deal with the Silvers, apart from the camaraderie in the battlefield and when necessary, otherwise he kept to himself. It took a lot to gain his trust, he always felt it was just how he grew up here on Midvinter.

"Well, Nina." The commander said with a small laugh. "Even the shortest person can have the greatest impact on the galaxy."

Once she glanced out west, Arden followed her gaze as she began to talk and he stared towards the mountains and she began to describe the scenery on a clear day. While the Commander had never seen it before on a clear day, the way she described it. It must've been a magnificent sight to behold.

"Practice makes perfect Prin-, Nina." Arden smirked slightly. "Just like me trying to get that down."

"Oh, but I'm rambling on about such tedious things! I'm keeping you from your duties, aren't I?"

Arden couldn't help but laugh as he followed her back inside, his hands placed behind his back.

"That's a matter of opinion." Arden responded when she mentioned tedious. "It's actually quite nice, even during my time with Silvers, I opted to keep to myself from time to time." The commander cleared his throat as he took a deep breath before he continued. "I suppose you are right. The commander can't linger for too long. Perhaps later today we can meet up again. It would be great to talk to you again." Arden said with a smile, "Perhaps even see some of this artwork you mention." He added at the end.

Nina watched the Lord Commander as he stepped over to her office door, smiling with endearment at his attempt to call her by name rather than royal title. She caught herself idly playing with the end of her long white braid of hair and couldn't help but blush when he noticed.

"I would... like that," she replied, arms at her side to avoid making a fool of herself.

"Truth be told, I'm a bit of a recluse myself. Spending long hours pouring over old tomes, or writing my own. Or painting. Interacting with other people on a personal level was never my thing, you know, being mute and all..."

Except for family and Arnor, of course.

"Arden," she mustered the courage before he could take his leave.

"Would you... care to have dinner with me tonight? I can show you my paintings-- unless that sounds too boring, that is! In which case I will not."

Internally she was facepalming so hard she could feel the sting of the slap against her forehead. She looked down towards her desk to find Bubbles looking up at her, his little nose twitching.

Shush you.

"I would... like that,"

Arden showed a rare smile as he bowed his head towards Nina. She was incredibly strong-willed and had a great heart. Arden had typically did his research as best as he could on the Royal family, not too much though. He didn't want to dig into any personal details, just primarily the basics. Placed in a position to protect the graces greatest assets. With that being said, that trust and feeling of hope that was placed in Arden, he wanted to earn that place with all the family. Just to know that they could count on him to be there whenever he was called upon.

"Would you... care to have dinner with me tonight? I can show you my paintings-- unless that sounds too boring, that is! In which case I will not."

The commander chuckled slightly, not at the request but at her words of that sounding boring. "That would be wonderful, Nina." Arden cleared his throat before he spoke again. "The honor would be mine. I would love to see the sceneries you have painted."

"Nina, If you ever need anything from me, don't hesitate to ask."
Arden smiled as he winked at her before he turned and left her office and resumed his duties throughout the complex.

The remainder of that afternoon Nina found herself distracted, unable to focus on her work. She'd begun putting ink to a fresh page of the book she was currently working on, detailing important events and the people who took part in them. It was a massive undertaking, requiring several volumes to even lead up to more recent history. Granted, a lot of the details of the very earliest events had long since been lost to time, even to the long-lived Elves who discovered writing far earlier than their Valkyri counterpart.

These were the kind of tales that were far more fantastical in nature, even for Midvinter standards. When the Gods themselves were said to walk the earth and smite giants and various other creatures that threatened this world, back when, by Valkyri mythology, the world was still being shaped into what exists today. Granted, Nina made sure to include Aelvar and Beorni creation myths as well, to balance the three beliefs as best as could be done.

She was currently a third of the way through the second volume in this particular series, but as stated earlier, today proved difficult to put word to paper.

As the hours marched on, she instead found herself drawn more to this dinner she'd so foolishly invited the Lord Commander to participate in. Silly things she'd never bothered worrying about before, such as what to wear or how to do her hair. She felt like such a girl.

"Tell me: Do you prefer this one, or this one?"

Bubbles twitched his tiny nose at the first one, then folded his round ears back at the sight of the latter. How the heck was one to interpret any of that?

"Gee, thanks. Big help you are."

Further scouring her woefully lackluster wardrobe, she came across a chest that had not been opened for many years. Within she discovered a dress of shimmering blue with gold details. The dress she'd worn only on her brother Théodred's wedding day, and never once since. There had been more funerals than weddings lately.

"You'll do. Hope it's not too much for a friendly dinner."

Next, Nina undid the neat braid to let her hair down for once. So often she'd worn it up in buns or pony tails, she figured it was about time to let it breathe for a bit. Still, brushing it into a satisfactory state took longer than expected. Maybe a few smaller braids here and there?

By the time the sun was setting, she would appear before Arden Durane Arden Durane atop the second story staircase, feeling terribly out of place in the very building she herself had founded. Gingerly her hand slid down the stone railing as she descended one step at a time, doing her best not to trip on her dress.

"Good evening, Lord Commander," she greeted him anew once having traversed the dreaded stairs, blushing as she did. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting?"

The one good thing that was good being back home aside from cold weather was the fact that he was closer to his family. While he knew this wasn't always the case. It was still good cause for some good banter. Even when it came to his family. His mother was joyous almost every day since he was home, clearly being the only child was something of a big deal. Arden in truth hadn't been in to many situations like this. He owed that to his tact of always being on his own and sticking to himself, so when situations like this presented themselves.

It was clear that he was nervous.

This wasn't the battlefield that he was used to, but much more a completely different field. Granted, he knew this was a friendly outing, but more so because he knew who Nina was, beautiful, princess. While not born to that, she surely did earn that title given everything she had accomplished.

He had hoped he wasn't dressed to extravagant. He wasn't sure what to wear at all and even as he got dressed he still felt out of place with the attire selected. However once he stood atop the steps and could see Nina from afar. Any concerns he had just drifted away and felt there was a slight foolish awe struck smile on his face.

He reached the level she was at and he smiled, normally he felt. And gave a small bow. "Of course not, Princess." Arden smiled. "Nina, you look beautiful." The commander stated as he offered her his arm.

"Shall we?"

Once face-to-face with her groom for the evening, Nina was able to get a better look at Arden, so often buried beneath the layers of steel that was his armour. For once, she saw the man behind the uniform; he carried himself like a true Valkyri, strong and broad in body, yet his face seemed far more graceful and gentle, traits more commonly found among the Aelvar.

In many ways, he reminded her of a young Thurion.

"And you look very dashing," she did her best curtsey with a shy smile upon her rosy lips. When Arden offered her his arm, Nina gingerly hooked her arm inside his. She felt her heart skip a beat as she leaned into him, unaccustomed to being so close to someone unrelated.

"Yes, let's," she collected herself as they stepped inside the dining hall open to both staff and visitor. Visitors were a rare sight this late however, so there was little chance of them being interrupted. As for her staff, most preferred to dine by themselves in their quarters, scholars as they were. Nina was no different in this regard, as sometimes the need to complete your work superceded company during dinner.

"Hello, Taana," she greeted the head of the kitchen, a female Beorni calmly clearing a few dishes from one of the tables. Taana bowed her head to the pair as they entered her domain, and with very deliberate motions presented them each with a menu. Beorni were not known to make sudden movements, often appearing slow and lumbering when out of combat.

Then Taana turned to her kitchen staff and clapped her large furry hands, prompting them to place a nice clean cloth on the center table and light a pair of candles for them. Nina first looked on with confusion, which then turned into a feeling of awkwardness once the process was complete.

"I... did not instruct them to do that," she felt compelled to explain to Arden for fear he'd think she was behind their actions.

When approaching the table their chairs were pulled out for them. Taana then bid them to return to the kitchen while she stood by, ready to take their orders.

"Well that was odd," Nina remarked, whispering so that none on the kitchen staff could hear. "I'm not used to this place being so empty and quiet. During daytime there are almost always off-duty guards enjoying their time off, and I don't usually eat with the others. Guess I'm a bit of a hermit that way, huh?"

She peeked up from her menu at Arden sitting across from her, dreading that she would be met by hints of discomfort or dissatisfaction.

"Thank you, Nina." Arden responded as her arm hooked inside his as they made their way down the remaining steps. Arden cleared his throat as quietly as he possible could. It was clear the commander was nervous, he just hoped he wouldn't make a complete fool of himself. As his thoughts wandered on earlier events for just a brief moment, as he pondered the cool air, their conversation. Perhaps part of him wondering how he got to this particular moment.

Arden glanced over to Nina and he could help but just show her a warm smile. And of course he meant to say something, but his words got stuck in his throat as he glanced forward again. Upon entry into the dining hall. She greeted the female Beorni. "Greetings Taana." Arden spoke respectfully towards the head of the kitchen. And what happened over the course of the next few moments and he met Nina's words with a small smile and even chuckle. "No, that's quite okay. It's really nice." Arden spoke with a smile as he glanced over the scene and he glanced from flame to flame then back to Nina.

The commander bowed his head towards the individual who pulled his chair out for him. "Thank you." It wasn't necessary, but it was always ingrained in him by his family to respect himself and those around him at all times. Be strong and courageous, warm and kind always.

"You are quite the opposite actually." Arden chuckled as he looked up from the menu for a few moments to look a Nina. As he tried more to encourage her, she was truly among the stars. "It could be just one of those nights. Perhaps things will be back to normal tomorrow." Arden glanced back down to his menu as he tried to gather his thought on what sounded good. "What would you recommend?"

I am?

Nina did not have as high an opinion of herself as the good Lord Commander seemed to. She owed her eloquence to her mother and father, and could appear to act the gracious host, but to her it was merely disguising an shy and timid nature. Having been mute all her life did not improve her self-esteem growing up, and no matter her maturity it did have a nasty habit of making itself known at times like these.

A quiet clearing of her throat as she tried to gather her thoughts.

"Uhm... Well. I shall take this opportunity to support the home team, so to speak, and pick the fish. I know we import all our fish from the Westmark so, I would think it must originate from the capital."

A very calculated choice, as was her nature. Internally she cursed herself; of course she had to include her childish reasoning behind her choice as well!

Taana stood by and jotted down her order, writing only a large runic symbol which simply translated into "fish".

"And a pitcher of water, please."

All-in-all, Nina felt content enough with her choice that she put down her menu, absent-mindedly drumming her lithe fingers against the sides of the dinner table, trying not to stare as Arden made his selection.

"A good choice, the home team is always good to root for." Arden smirked and even chuckled lightly. "I will have the same please." Arden seemed to have read his mind when she asked for a picture of water. There was a thirst that accompanied him this evening as he cleared his throat. He handed the menu back and his hands locked together in front of him as he then looked towards Nina.

"I'm extremely glad you asked me here for dinner, Nina." Arden spoke warmly, it was really nice to shed the armor and just live a somewhat normal life and do normal things for however brief period of time was possible. He didn't have much time like this before. And as hard as it was for him, he learned to take moments like these in stride. Because they came very few in his life. He was a soldier......

"How did the rest of your day fare?" Arden inquired as a picture of water was brought to them, thus a glass poured for each of them and set at the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom