Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Search for the Diary of Gaven Harn

Yavin VIII
Former Jedi Temple

VpAf397.jpg

Crunch

The sound of the ice cracking under Ala's feet made her realize that the weather mustn't have been as frigid as it was right at this moment. This snow had apparently started to melt before refreezing. She looked down to see the slightly-bigger-than-her-shoe foot print that she had left in the crisp layer of ice covering the snow beneath. It was a sight she had seen so often on this world, that she had relished in times past. So much time had been spent here, and yet this place felt so far removed from what it once was.

The ruins before gave rise to a small lump in her throat that robbed, even if momentarily, of the normal joyous exuberance she exhibited. All her friends. All her family. All her fellow Jedi had long since passed into memory. She wasn't sure if the Lore of this place even lived on in the memory of the galaxy. It was just...abandoned. She felt entirely alone just for a moment, before the presence of her protector and confident loomed large once again.

"It. Is just gone. Time has just broken it down," she said in a rueful tone.

Of course, she knew that time did such things to buildings and places and people. It was just seeing it happen to something so close to home brought the reality of the emotional underpinings of that knowledge fully to mind. With so much of the building gone, her mission was surely in vain. A leather bound diary had no hope of surviving the 800 years or constant cycles of freezing, thawing and refreezing. Still, there was some finality to this mission either way.

"Race you to the Great Hall!" She said before jumping from the edge of the twenty metre cliff that they had been standing on. Upon hitting the ground she gave her legs everything she could muster in the Force and physically to get to the entry point of the temple, a spray of snow spewing both left and right behind her as she ran.

Be careful what you wish for.

IT'S ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN...
53950.gif

Comm-link, Rebreather, Custom Robes
Starship: Starlight Sentinel, (Dilorian in cargo bay)
Companion: Astromech R01R - "Roller", Pilot droid Mu51c - "Music"
Tag: Ala Quin Ala Quin
Wow

It was all Caltin could think as he and Ala stood there just looking over the place. It was sad, really. Sure, nothing lasts forever, but this was proof positive of that in a true and direct “kick in the ‘you know what’” kind of way. All of the Jedi lost, the people, everything, it was just… gone. It really was a depressing sight, even if it was understandable, after all, it had been over eight hundred years. There were a few remnants, and the silver lining if there was one, was that time was the conquering horde here, not Sith, not Bryn, no Empire, just time. What happened to the inhabitants though? The friends, all of them?

Ala was feeling horrible about it, and all he could do was put a hand on her shoulder.

All we can do is remember them now. Remember the good things. Right?

He took a moment himself and thought about that very statement. They were just above the forest he used for his obstacle course. That stupid course that Padawans and younglings always seemed to want to get in on, was laugh-worthy and he did so to himself. Then there were all of those memories he had of “Tom’s”, of course, he ran into one not that long ago and it was a nice reminisce point, but still. Of course, there were two memories that stood out about this very spot. One had to do with another and was a conversation for another time, but this was also...

Remember when I found you here during that “Capture the..HEY! … OOO CHEATER!

He said nothing else, Caltin just jumped off of the cliff as well and ran after her. She was faster than he was and the big guy had little to no chance of outrunning her, even with the Force, but it was still fun. They needed something fun right now.
... YET THE DAWN ALWAYS COMES.
svjbudd.png

Coming to a stop was easier said than done, as Ala slid across the snow and ice covered cobbled flooring of the Great Hall. Once she had stopped she was a good 3 or 4 metres beyond the middle of the room than where she had intended to be. Head tilted upwards, she envisioned the large stone pillars that once held up the ceiling of the Hall. There was no ceiling now, it lay in pieces around the floor, covered in snow and making small hills to navigate. The great pillars had largely toppled, some like dominoes into one another, and lay covered in snow but occasionally peaking out. The engravings, once so high up, seemed less intriguing simply due them being so low to the ground. She had spent hours staring at the markings at the top of the pillar. Now the were just...there.

"I...win," she whispered, clearly unimpressed with herself.

A spot of snow dusted her eyelashes, causing her to flinch and break out of the trance the place had pulled her into. "So many lessons here Caltin. We met in this room. I met Zakk here. Corrin. Jayden. Lymeria. Nyssa. All of them. So many more. Like snow on a spring day...it has all just...melted away."

A heavy weight in her heart threated to well up into her eyes, but she managed some level of control. This was also where she had been delivered by Hydrocus to her friends, having been tortured and dissected. She remembered the agony, but the worst agony was the knowledge that her friends suffered her apparent death. It must be surreal for Caltin to have her standing there, alive and mourning her lost past.

Second chances.

"Are you ok, Cal?" She said with a hand reaching up to barely be able to pat his shoulder.

53950.gif

Ala had an easier time stopping than Caltin did. He had gotten used to running in the snow and when his feet hit the hard surface that is… that was The Great Hall, he stumbled into a somersault and back to his feet. It was, or would have been amusing to see had not they had come here and seen the decay that was the huge mess that was once a Conclave that they both called “home” at many points in their lives. He did not want to dwell on it, frankly, he could not, but he needed to be here for Ala. When she mentioned the names, he thought of more, Judah Lesan Judah Lesan ... Judah Lesan Jr. Judah Lesan Jr. … well… the ones they knew… Chiara Viren … again the one they knew… Kira… Satkia…

Snapping out of his own trance as Ala clapped him on the shoulder, he looked down to the Knight. She always had a way of bringing out the best in him without trying, a minute ago he was feeling sorry for himself, but he thought about those days. The day he lost Ala in that battle… the day Hydrocus Venetia Hydrocus Venetia … the day that… individual did what he did… then the imposter pretending to be here. None of them believed that she was still out there, he almost became one of them, but he didn’t give up… he wouldn’t give up.

Not happening now, either.

Yeah… a little bummed at the moment… but think about it. All of them… all of them were here living the life that they wanted. They all were following their path. If that took them to an end, then that is a life well spent. Wouldn’t you think? I mean think about it. Yeah… this is depressing, but it was going to happen. I mean, eight hundred fifty years… is eight hundred fifty years. They were going to have their time at one point, and if it is true if we all become one with the Force… well my dad… he used to believe that when someone passes on, our reminders of them? Those are them saying “hi”. Do you know? A table at a restaurant? A tree? A ride?

Sucking on his gumline in a way she would recognize as what he was saying was starting to make sense to even him, he continued.

We shouldn’t frown because their time is over. We should smile because our time with them happened. I mean, I don’t know about you, but N’yssa would be smacking us both upside the head if she saw us brooding like this.

He laughed.

Well, maybe not you, but me at least.
svjbudd.png

"Yeah, she would never hit me over the head," Ala mused with a grin, "I was always the teacher's pet...besides...you can take it!" With that she jumped up and slapped the back of his head before, skipping away backwards a little with hands out stretched as if to say, don't do it, don't do it. A grin covered her face, and mischief exuded from her Force aura.

He was right. Even in this place Ala felt the presence of her friends, masters and loved ones. She let out a sigh, and her shoulders relaxed. They were here for a purpose, and if they spent too much time reminiscing instead of searching their lollygagging would turn morning to noon to nightfall. Then they would really start feeling the cold.

"If you promise not to hit me...we can start looking for the entrance to the living quarters...they were built into the side of the mountain...surely they are still there..."

She nervously backed towards the direction that she knew she needed to go before tripping on a not so small piece stone pillar that was hidden under a snow drift. Unceremoniously she fell backwards with a thud and an expression of shock, then embarrasment but finally resignation mixed with amusement.

53950.gif

D'OW!
Of course, he was not hurt by her little flip of the hand, but if it brightened Ala's mood, even a little then no worries. Playing along with a smirk on his face, the big guy bounded with each step after her. He had absolutely no designs on "returning fire", he was here for her, so whatever Ala wanted to do was the way of the day. Of course, the mischief on her face could be what he elevated a little. With a bit of a slow job, Caltin slowed to a stop when she did.​
Oh, come on. You know that you are that I wouldn't. Yeah, we should be headed the right way. Your back is to what I think should have been the Assembly Hall.
When she fell, of course, he was instinctively concerned and checked on her, but once Caltin saw that Ala was okay, all he could do was giggle.​
svjbudd.png

"Yeah, yeah, laugh it up" she said, pulling herself p and dusting the snow off her posterior, "let's get this show on the road."

Turning about on the ball of her right foot, she marched on in a semi-faux-annoyance towards the entry to the living quarters. A pillar lay across the entrance where she thought that they would need to use, but beyond it...there was something else. A presence. The way it moved behind the pillar made it seem like they were flying in whatever cavity lay beyond...or they were...swimming? Had the hallways flooded? Ala did remember the hot springs deep within the mountain, maybe they had made their way into the caverous interior of the living arrangements.

"We need to get through here," Ala said, casting a glance at Caltin, "but I am thinking we might be in for a bath...or a fight...or something. Do we cut through, lift it or find another way in?"

53950.gif

Well, since you gave me permission. Caltin stopped in his tracks to let out a huge belly laugh. This was out of any lack of concern, but just to mess with her.
Ala was not the only one who noticed the presence behind the pillar. Caltin did too and for a moment, it gave him the willies. The thing is though that this same presence seemed more afraid of them, that they might be of it. That of course meant to Caltin that they were not deserving of any fighting, or chasing. They had a life to live, and if anything, this was more their planet, than his and Ala's, especially after all of this time. There was no way that Caltin or Ala would get in the way of this.
We haven't been here for well over eight hundred years. This place isn't ours anymore so let's find a way around.
svjbudd.png

Nodding in sage approval, Ala turned her attention to the back of what was the Great Hall. There was a door that still lead beyond into the long wide passage way from which had once branched off to the library, the holo-database, various training and teaching spaces and right at the end the mess hall. This was their destination, providing the only other entrance into the living areas.

Walking into the passageway saw yet another surge of memories. She had learned so much here. Her first saber training had been in the first room to the right, now mostly blocked by debris and snow drifts. Beams of light shone through large cracks in the ceiling, and seemed purposefully highlighting the entrance to the library, where she had spent countless hours reading of the Orders ancient history and great deeds. She shuffled through the snow towards the partially closed door. The now ancient durasteel door was slightly askew, having clearly come off its runners. She peered into the cavernous room, to see only the inky blackness of the library stare back.

Bringing her torch to bare in the direction of the library, she noted row after row of empty shelves. Rodents scurried away from the light, leaving only the droppings and uneaten food behind to give a little contour to the flat shelves. "Someone saved all the knowledge," she said, her voice echoing in the room. It felt surreal.

She pulled away, and pointed for Caltin to have a look. "Wasn't there a vault in the back with some super sacred writings or something? More than just history or theory books...but like some stuff from the pre-Republic era? I wonder..."

53950.gif

This is depressing.
Yes, this is the same Jedi Master who just gave Ala a little speech that was meant to be uplifting, and he truly felt that way himself. The problem is that Caltin could not help but look at all of the decay and think about what might have happened. The hallways where he could catch young Padawans making out, the training rooms where so many Jedi had learned, including him, and he himself had taught so many in passing on the traditions and ways. It all made him wonder how many Enclaves the Jedi truly had over its existence, not just Temples. This also made the big guy think about the Enclave on Ach-To where Matsu Ike Matsu Ike was doing amazing work with her people. The Massive Jedi Master also thought of the message he received from the Enclave on Jakku, he did not know much about it but remembered the rumors of Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill and maybe a few others being there from time to time.​
Maybe there was some hope for the Jedi as a whole after.​
The Library was a mess, but that was to be expected.​
I just hope the right people did. Doesn't even have to be "Jedi", as long as someone who cares about the history took care of it. You know? That vault you're thinking of is a couple of levels down, below the healing bay.
She might not have known, but there was a repository, full of all sorts of items. Maybe something might be there. Maybe not, but there was one way to find out.
svjbudd.png

"It would be a shame not to check," she said acknowledging Caltin's correction while pushing to the end of the passageway.

Before entering the mess hall, a place where many events had taken place in her training, she paused. Closing her eyes, Ala stretched out with the Force. Her mind wandered around the flow and ebb of the tangential connections between rock, and rusted table stump. She sought for the feeling of the place, the echo of the people she had once known.

Doubt is natural. Heresy is a choice.

Don't choke on your stimcaf...

Hey, are you ready for capture the flag?

Did you see Master Beltrak?

You are so safe. Take a risk!

Ugh, I failed my test...

A smile across Ala's face. Eyes opened and she let out a sigh. "No one is ever really gone," she said in an assured declaration.

Pushing into the ruins of the mess hall, Ala saw the opening to the living quarters of the building and made her way across the snow drifts and fallen rocks from the cavern ceiling above.

Not far along into the hallway, she came to the door that seemed to be that to her old home. She stood there, calmly reaching forth and touching the door. It did not open. She didn't expect it to. Behind this door was the possiblity of her mother's history recorded in the diary of the Gaven Harn, probably the single most sacred item in Ala's life. "Do we just...cut through?"

53950.gif

Not as long as we remember them.
Her memories were not hers alone, Caltin could feel them, as he was around many of those same ones.​
"I really hate this stuff."
"Sorry Viktor, I didn't want to win like this."
"That was a fun lesson."
"I found her. She's in recovery."
"It still seems surreal. I mean, I'm a Jedi Master, now what?"
If she wasn't able to open the door to what would have been her quarters, then there was something blocking it, and it was something big. Could there have been a cave-in? Could there have been something else occupying the room? Wait, of course, there was. This could not be some kind of malfunction as there was no power to the place. He wasn't going to "over-protect" her but sidestepping Ala, Caltin stood in front of the doorway cracking his knuckles.​
Let's try this first.
Physically pulling the panels apart was easier than he thought that it would be. Not that Caltin was that strong, but that what was behind the door began its desire to exit the room with a trickle, and then a gush before pushing the door open itself. The rush of water fell out and attempted to take them with it as it crashed through the halls. This would have been successful if not for both of the Jedi pushing the water away from them through the Force. The two were literally standing like trees in a river as the water rushed out around them. What they would see afterward was the room still being heavily flooded. What could have happened here?​
Well okay...
svjbudd.png

As the water rushed out of the room, Ala's hands guided the torrent away from hitting her directly but she could not keep it from filling the area around her feet. Her boots started to flood, which would not be good on a ice planet. With a quick hope, she jumped up on a fallen bit of the ceiling that lay on the ground, but the damage was done. Her feet were soaked.

Not only was the water an issue for her wellbeing, but also for the state of her heart. It sunk. Completely. It had been somewhat of a pie in the sky dream that the diary would have been intact still but there mere possibility had filled her with hope and optimism. In this moment, the fleeting chance of it's existance just slipped away.

"It's done...even if the leather survived in some way...the paper would have rotted out a long time ago."

Her only record of her mother, and connection to her past before the Jedi was gone. Just gone.

"We should never have come here. At least I could have imagined it still existed somewhere," she whispered, mostly to herself.

53950.gif

Hey! None of that!
Maybe it was a pipe dream to find whatever she was looking for, maybe it was wrecked. This crestfallen feeling she had was not going to do though. She hadn't seen it in centuries, and if the archives of the library were saved then maybe hers was as well. Clapping her on the shoulder in his way of reassuring her Caltin turned Ala to meet eye to eye.
If you can imagine that it is out there somewhere, then we continue to look. We look until we find what we are here for; we look until we find something else that has the information you want. Or we look until we have exhausted all possibilities.
Feigning a smack on the back of her head with a devilish grin, he didn't want her to give up. She didn't need this kind of loss, there was enough of that here already.
We don't give up... who knows what we'll come up with.
ZhUyygm.png

It was a slim hope, to be sure, but hope was Ala's heart was built on Caltin knew this to be true. Attachments for the Jedi weren't as frowned upon as they had been centuries ago, but her attachment to this diary was still to such an intensity that her fluctuating mood was of no small concern to the Jedi Knight. She would simultaneously begin preparing for the likely loss, but also search and live in hope that it was amongst the books and holos taken from the library.

"You are right," she said with an affirming nod, a confident determind nod.

Contained within that diary was the only picture Ala had of her mother. The only description of her personality, that seemed so much the equal of Ala's own personality. If it still existed, she would find it.

"This place could use some work, Cal," she said, glaring into her watery former home, "the whole place that is...but right now...I have cold feet...we should get back to the ship pretty quickly."

53950.gif

Equipment:
Conservator and Vanguard 2.0 (Lightsabers)
Tag:
Ala Quin Ala Quin

You're right that I'm right.

With a nod that was not only re-affirming but feigning a touch of mock-arrogance as if to say "Yeaah!" he smirked.

The desire to get back to the ship surprised him as they had practically just gotten there, but if it was her desire to go, that was fine. It was her trip anyway and he was along for moral support. Then there was one of those ideas he had that seemed to just throw a wrench into everything, and when he went for it? Well, Caltin was not going to back off of it. Reaching out through the Force, Caltin focused his attention in front of him and not only parted the water on a direct path to the other side of the room but a healthy dose of Force Stasis kept them there.

His attention was still on the parted water as he stepped forward.

One look first? Or no?

ZhUyygm.png

He was all so faux-boastful. It was good to see him so relaxed and playful. She knew how intense he could be when he needed to be, and even when he didn't need to be. This mission seemed to be a good break out of the norm for Caltin. Ala offered him a bemused smile to indicate her acknowledgement and approval of his levity. It was the small moments like this that she cherished.

Letting out a short, sharp puff of air. Ala relinquished her desire to leave immediately, and concentrated on using the Force to promote blood flow to her extremeties. She shuddered a little bit as her overall body temperature dropped a little as blood circulated through her increasingly cold feet, but it spread out the cooling effect from her waterlogged boots.

"OK," she said with her hands up in surrender, "we look...just for a bit..."

53950.gif

Equipment:
Tag:
Ala Quin Ala Quin

YAY! Throwing his hands up in a silly celebration and letting go of the water for a half-second as if losing concentration, though he fully was and just wanted to make her laugh, Caltin grabbed the water again as it fell and almost reached his feet. WHOAH!

Looking around the room for a moment, he looked back at his little sister with the smile that was always reserved just for her. It was the "hey... we got this..." one.

Hang on a second... Closing his eyes and holding out both hands, the big guy centered the Force around him and levitated... maybe not all of the water... but a good portion of it. With luck, anything that was submerged was still where it sat.

ZhUyygm.png

With brow severely quirked and the corner of her mouth contorted into wry amusement, Ala ducked into the room beneath the water. The floor was slippery after water having made its home there for hundreds of years. She steadied herself with some hands facing down and a soft projection of Force power. The room was so familiar, but yet with the taint of years, centuries of decay.

"This is not my home anymore..."

Her words were barely audible. More to herself than for Caltin's benefit. Nothing had survived the rot and decay, but rather every thing was smoothed over with slime and the eroding nature of time and water.

She turned back to Caltin. "It's ok, really," she said with a bittersweet smile, "nothing survived...except us...and that's OK."

Turning, she pushed off with the Force and slid across the floor and into Caltin's direction where she embraced the hulk of a Jedi with as big of a hug as she could.

"I am not sure when it was that I last told you that I love you," she said, "but it has been far too long."

53950.gif

Equipment:
Tag:
Ala Quin Ala Quin

He didn't see her mouth the words about this not being her home anymore, after all, his eyes were closed and his mind's eye was focused on the water in the room. He did not hear her either as she all but mouthed the words.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

What he did know that she seemed content, not resigned, or accepting, but content that this was no longer their place of residence. It is the memory of times long past, good times, but past times nonetheless. It was depressing initially to see just how badly father time had beaten down on the place, but that was a result of over eight hundred years. It was more depressing to see that so few beings had been here to keep the place up, but there was nothing that could be done about that now.

You're darn tootin'. Master Farifax is reminding me about the day I brought you in here. Remember that "capture the flag" game? She stood where you are. I was right here...

Then she slid across the floor and all but took him out. Water fell again and came rushing at them, only to be stopped again at the last moment. It was a sweet moment in itself, one that brought a rare feeling of true warmth to the big guy's heart.

You're right, and I love you too, but I know you do, and you know I do, so that suffices in times between, right?

ZhUyygm.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom