Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Right of Passage(Paddy Mission)

The Right of Passage
1f92e353-3eb4-459c-8625-a1a84508dc86_zps8jaexeys.jpg
Ilum

It had been a couple of years since Varus himself had been to Ilum, but he figured that he was about ready for another trip. He had found that each time he had traveled to the block of ice that some people seemed to think was a planet he always had an experience well worth the trip. Whether he'd had a shared, unique experience with other Jedi or found a truly profound crystal that he couldn't help but take back with him, he'd always enjoyed these trips. He just hadn't expected that he'd be bringing his own Padawan learner there one day to collect crystals, though he was well aware that this wasn't the important part.

A Padawan's first mission with his Master, at least to Varus, was a right of passage among the Jedi. One that was hard, for good reason, and which typically took place on one of the few crystal bearing planets within the galaxy in order to test a young Jedi. It allowed a Master to see what kind of resolve their student possessed, get a feel for how strongly they were connected to the force and allow them to let the force guide them to find one of the most important pieces that completed the puzzle of a Jedi. A light saber crystal.

Most of that morning Varus had spent up and preparing for the trip ahead, not sure what exactly to expect. That didn't bother him, though, as he planned to be overly prepared for whatever they might encounter. That's why he was stuffing compartments of his ship with extra cold weather clothing, boxes of food rations and spare saber parts he had in case Jake wound up being joined on today's mission with others that sought to take this opportunity that he was getting.

[member="Jake Cabur Tor"] - [member="Ul'Rikk Petraa"] - [member="Gareth Yalthik"]

Thouh jake had made this trip once before with his previous master, before she was killed. He looked forward to the chance to bond with his master on their first mission. It obviously wasnt a real mission, but it was a chance to find out how the other operated in the field. He was going on this traditional journey to make a nother lightsaber. He didn't feel like he needed this lightsaber, but remembered his lessons in lightsaber making. He saber was made to look similar to the master of the wielder. This was one symbol of who the apprentice had as a master, and showed the amount of faith in their master, and showed how the bond between master and apprentice was present. He wasn't sure if he remembered all of his correctly, or if he had just made am explanation up in his own head. He would be happy to construct a new blade to wield into battle along side his master. He had already packed a small bag with all of his heavy winter garments. And had filled his utility belt with an assortment of items that could be useful in many situations. He had even brouht a couple thermal packs and a thermos to fill with water, merely to keep his water from freezing. He was set to go, and all he had to do now, was wait for his master to give him the order to depart. He was excited for this, and even though he tried to conceal it, his smile said it all. [member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Stepping down out of the ship after taking the time to make his last round to check for proper gear and supplies, Varus glanced across the hangar to see Jake. He watched the young man, a small smile finding the corner of his mouth as his eyes blue gaze fell upon the Padawan as if an unspoken greeting, but soon after he broke the silence with one that was true, a welcoming tone to his voice.

"Well then. I see you've prepared for your first mission on your own time.", he said first, stopping in front of the young man and raising his long, muscular arms to cross them across his broad chest. "You ready to go?"

[member="Jake Cabur Tor"]

"Of course master!" Jake said, the excitement, despite his best efforts, showed through his voice. He couldn't wait to do this. "Are there any others coming? Jake noticed all of the extra baggage his master had with him, and thought there is almost no way all of that is just for us.
[member="Varus Shatterstar"]

"I invited a few of your peers along, but it was up to them to pass that on to their Masters and request to be included.", he informed Jake as he turned and glanced back at the ship. "It looks like it's just you and I for now, but that doesn't mean that some of the others won't catch up to us after we get to Ilum."

Turning and heading up the ramp, Varus looked one more around the hangar and said, "Alright. Let's go."

---

Ilum

Coming out of the Ilum atmosphere was a bit more rough than he'd imagine it would be, perhaps because his last visit he remembered it being easier. It appeared that, from that alone, the weather might be a bit more fierce than he was expecting, which did not bode well for them. On a good day, Ilum's weather was harsh, but when it really did get bad the danger could be life threatening.

"Time to do one last gear check.", Varus explained as he held tight to the controls as the ship shook and rattled. It shouldn't have been this bad, based on weather reports that Varus had glanced over a few days before the trip. He supposed he should have kept a closer watch, however, considering that Ilum's weather could change at the drop of a hat. "Make sure you're ready to go when we land. The weather's a little more harsh than I was expecting initially, so we have to be careful."

"Understood, Though I am sure we can handle this weather." Jake said confidently before looking through his gear, making sure he had all that he would need. He even had few meals, that came with canned heat so he could survive longer if he should need them for later. He wasn't expecting attack, so much as survival in the cold could be his enemy. He put on his cold gear, leaving off half of it, so as not to get too hot while waiting to leave the ship. "I have all I need for this mission." He said to his master, as he clipped a rather large pouch of gear to his left hip, on his utility belt and sat down in an open seat to wait and see if anyone else would join in on their mission.

Varus' grip tightened up on the controls as they came in for a landing on a large, open area covered in a blanket of snow. The ship shook as it came down, the landing gears flexing as they touched down bringing the ship to a violent halt. It was about as good as he could do with the weather conditions picking up as much as it was, and as they finally got still they could hear the rough winds and chips of ice beating against the ship.

"This planet is famous for it's rude way of welcoming it's guests.", Varus said as he pushed himself up out of the pilot's chair and turned to see Jake seated in the passenger's section, not located far from the cockpit. Making his way over to him slowly, Varus stopped and glanced around the ship, though his eyes were not focused on anything within that ship at all. He was seeing through to the planet around them, an ability given to him by the force allowing him to feel past the parameters of a ship or a room. He could sense the temperament of the storm and could tell that today wasn't going to be an easy day for Jake, but in the young Knight's opinion, it was a test well worth it for the younger Jedi.

"Alright. Let's go.", Varus said as he pulled on his cold weather coat and lead the way to the ramp that was just now lowering to the frozen tundra of Ilum. As he stepped out, he wondered if Jake was going to be able to feel the call of the force resonating from the crystals buried in deep caves and caverns of Ilum.

Jake walked out after having put on the rest of his gear, knowing that his master would be watching him, he decided to follow what his gut instinct was telling him to do. He felt 'her' presence somewhere not too far away, and knew he had to get there. He walked towards the pull of the force and even pushed past his master in his fast walking pace. "I feel something this way." He told his master when he caught up to him. He knew that he had to follow his gut on this, even if it could be dangerous. "I feel the force calling to me from over there." He pointed, hoping [member="Varus Shatterstar"] would allow him to follow the force's guidance. He paused to look back at his master and see what he thought on the matter. He didn't know if going in the direction he had indicated would take them away from the destination, or take them to the caves faster.

Varus nodded to Jake as he spoke to him, acknowledging his Padawan's statement as he replied in turn. "There are a string of caverns about four hundred yards off in that direction. They're etched into the side of a mountain, and it's been a very common place for Jedi to be drawn to on their first mission, though my journey took me elsewhere.", he said, pulling his hood a little tighter over his head as the wind picked up.

"I've never been there, but we're more than prepared for whatever might come our way. Lead on, Jake. I'm not the one directing this mission today. This time it has to be you.", he added, turning and facing his apprentice as he waited for Jake to take his first step towards becoming a Knight.

Though Jake couldn't see more than a few meters in front of him, he acknowledged [member="Varus Shatterstar"]'s words. "You sure you want me on point?" Jake asked smiling, after this, he started towards the caverns where he had been pulled by the force, knowing Shatterstar would follow him. They continued until he was met with the face of a cliff, but the force was still drawing him in that direction, and he became frustrated. As he walked up to punch the wall, his foot fell through the snow below him, and he fell down into the cavern below him, grateful that the cavern seemed to slow his fall by angling downwards towards a dark cave. He hoped his master wouldn't be too upset with him for missing the small detail that he did. The slow looked solid , but really just had a thin layer of Ice supporting it. when he got to the bottom of the Ice chute, he stopped himself, stood up and decided to try to comm his master. "Master? Are you there?" He said, almost panicking."I didn't realize the snow wasn't solid, I think I might be in the crystal cave system." Jake looked around and saw some glowing formations, providing just enough light to see.

Varus watched his graceless apprentice with a bit of a frown on his face as the loose snow fell away and the cavern claimed him. He walked up to the massive, hidden opening to the caves and glanced down into the darkness, and a few moments later Jake called for him over his comm. That's when Varus shook his head slightly, noting the loss of patience that Jake had shown which had reminded him of himself when he lost control tracking down a rogue Jedi Knight on Kashyyyk. It was that moment that Varus realized he might have to be more delicate with his apprentice, knowing how many games the dark side played on the mind and how thinly one's patience could be drawn in such instances.

He chose not to respond to Jake over the comm, knowing that what he had to say he would prefer to say in person and not over a comm. That's why he didn't hesitate another moment as he sized up the fall and hopped into the dark cavern opening. He landed on the slope with grace, sliding on the cold hardened, moist surface for a ways before the tunnel leveled off and he slid to a halt about ten feet away from his apprentice. When he raised up from his crouched position, which he'd taken to maintain his balance easier when sliding, he glanced over at Jake and narrowed his eyes at him.

"You know better.", he said simply, talking up to the younger man and motioning for him to continue to lead the way. "Men blinded by anger often times make the least informed decisions.", he said as he rested his hand on Jake's shoulder.

"Jedi think before they decide to punch walls."

"I know, I thought that where there was snow there is solid ground." Jake said hoping his master would understand. He wouldn't make the same mistake again, just like he wouldn't let his confidence in himself fall because of it. He had gone where the force had led him, and that was enough to boost his confidence back to its normal level. He walked farther into the cave, following the call of the force. He heard a noise like a big creature padding around in tunnels connecting to the one he was in. Glancing back at [member="Varus Shatterstar"], he grabbed the hilt of his saber and prepared to use it.

As they stood there in the dimly lit cave the ground vibrated softly as the creature approached. Soon enough, though, a creature about seven feet tall called a Gorgodon lumbered on by them, almost making it past them to continue on down a separate connecting tunnel before it noticed something a little off. An odd smell caused the beast to sniff the air, turning it's large, ugly head in their direction as it pinpointed the foreign scent.

That moment was awkward as it realized that it was looking at smaller creatures that might make for a good meal, but from the looks of the beast Varus himself could tell that this one wasn't even an adult. They'd have to defend themselves, but Varus wasn't nearly as worried about this one as he was any others that might be in the area. He hoped that this one was on it's own or hunting alone, but he couldn't be so sure that they were that lucky.

Taking a couple of slow steps back, Varus' figure melded into the almost black cavern wall behind them, his voice raised high enough so that Jake could hear him above the grumbling growl of a beat that had realized that it was not alone.

"It has a weak spot on the back of it's neck... use the force to guide you in all of your experiences."

Jake nodded and reached down, picking up a rock, tossing it to where it would land on the other side of the beast, he waited until it turned to search for the noise. he quickly sprang into action, not knowing what to expect. He decided that he wasn't tall enough to strike the beast's weak spot, so he decided to spring off the cave wall, and grab the stalagtite that was above the beast, and would hang there till he knew the gorgodon wasn't going to move. after this point, he would drop down and take the strike, hoping to end this struggle before it started. The beast however didn't remain still, but bolted for [member="Varus Shatterstar"]. Changing his plan mid flight, he grabbed onto one of the beast's arms and swung himself around till he was on the back of the bohemoth. this would be an interesting fight. something told him to wait, the force was telling him he would have a better opportunity to take the strike in a few seconds. He was safe in his current position for now.

Varus watched the creature carefully and began to play games with the beast's mind. In the conscience of the creature Varus began to mirror what he saw, showing the creature another Gorgodon about the same height and build, though really he was just showing this one it's own reflection. It angered the beast, though it would not dare act against an fellow beast of it's own kind. It was wary of the creature that it, in it's unaware state of mind, was seeing as plainly as he'd seen others of it's pack.

It appeared foreign to the creature, because in fact, this creature had never seen a reflection of itself. It couldn't recollect that it might as well have been looking into a pane of glass that very moment, and to test the waters it growled, it's rumbling vocal cords causing the cave to echo it's threat, only confusing it further in it's warped state of mind. It sounded as if there were others in those very caves with them and immediately it became intimidated, though it still struggled with Jake who'd managed to get a firm footing on the creature's back.

It stumbled over itself as it backed up, slamming it's right shoulder into the cave wall as it turned to run down the path from which it had come. "Perhaps this one isn't as big of a threat as it seemed, Jake.", Varus said, allowing Jake to take the time to feel in the force and decide what he should do next.

Jake saw the wall coming in fast on the creatures right side, and swung away from that part of the beast, not knowing how far the beast would allow its back to roll across the wall, he lept up, then off of the wall, using the parkour that he had tried to focus on during his training, and came into a roll standing up a few feet away from his master. he was proud that he had been able to pull off these acrobatics, but he knew that he still used sloppy technique and that was something he would have to work on later. He slowly breathed in, and then back out to center, and open himself to the force. He felt the presence that he had felt in the ice caves of Rhen Var a few weeks ago, and couldn't believe he would be seeing her again so soon. He quickly, guided by the force walked down the tunnel the gorgodon had left by, cautious because he didn't know what to expect, but also confident the force was guiding him, he turned a corner and in the middle of a huge cavern there was a whole pack of the strange creatures. He noticed in the faint glow of the far side of the cavern, another tunnel. This was where he had to go, but he didn't want to harm these poor creatures. He stopped, careful to not make a noise, and turned around slowly. He didn't want to rush into this. He already knew there were 17 of them, and that they were in a massive cavern. He didn't have the knowledge to get past them. Once they had traveled more than 30 meters down the cave, he whispered to [member="Varus Shatterstar"], "there is another tunnel on the far side that I have to get to." knowing that his master had already seen the beasts. "But I am not sure how we can get past those, things." Jake explained, hoping his master would have a nonviolent plan. It wasn't that he didn't like to fight, he didn't like to end lives that, by simply making a better choice, could have been saved, while still achieving the same goal.

Varus peered past Jake at the sight in the cavern and watched them for a moment. They didn't seem like much of a thread, but then again it wasn't Varus who had to figure out how to get where he needed to go whilst not disturbing these interesting beings. That was up to Jake, and Varus was well aware that he had done for Jake as much as he could. Now he would have to continue on alone, as this was one of the most important moments for a Padawan. He needed to have this experience on his own. At least, he had to have a portion of it on his own, which Varus was not going to rob him of.

Stepping back and allowing the shadows to slowly roll over his shoulders, Varus simply said, "That's not for me to decide.", nodding to Jake before he became completely engulfed in shadow. "This is your moment, Jake. I'll stay close, but you'll have to continue on alone for now. I'm sure you are aware as to why.", he said, imparting to him one last thing before he became as silent as the caverns they were in, hidden by the endless cover those caverns seem to provide.

"Use the force, Jake..."

Jake looked at his master, not quite understanding what had just been said. Suddenly it dawned on him. He would have to go at it alone from this point. He had hoped that His master might still follow his progress from a distance, if only to show up at his final destination. This must be the nearest place that the force energy could sustain her visible form. Jake sai, "Of course master." And with that, he left. walking slowly back towards the group of beasts. He would have to come up with a way to get by these creatures. He was able to use floating meditation decently, that would take care of the sound problem. but they would still have a scent to have to find him by. He thought for a second, then came up with a brilliant idea that he would have to try. As quiet as he could be, he took off his undershirt. He had gotten quite sweaty from the hike to the cave, and the encounter with the gorgodon. this would provide a scent for these creatures to follow. Then he grabbed a sizable stone that would provide noise to alert the creatures and get them to come running, hopefully anyhow. Then he set to work, using the force to lift the stone above the ground, and over to a cavern on the other side of the cave, leading away from the cave He had to get to get to, setting it down with a thud, drawing the beasts attention. Then he closed his eyes, opening himself to the force, seeing the way the cavern twisted in his mind, and holding his grip on the rock, started dragging it along the ground. He opened his eyes after a few minutes to see that all but one small gorgodon had followed his distraction. He sat and tried to think for a moment, then pulled out a link of nerf sausage, tossing it to the floor of the cavern and then using the force to move it just out of the beast's reach until it was out of sight. Back in his cold gear, he quickly dashed to the other side, hoping the gorgodons wouldn't come the way he had, and went into the cavern. That had been one of his more brilliant Ideas, though it would only work once, and they would soon be coming back to their cozy little cavern.

Varus looked on from his darkened corners of the caves as he followed along with his apprentice to make sure that he was able to continue on safely without him. He wasn't going to leave Jake entirely, though this was his experience to be had. That, in itself, was the only thing that needed to be explained. They were not here for Varus, they were on Ilum so that Jake could experience the call of the force and listen to it's hallowed guidance.

As Varus watched, he used the force to mask his presence and conceal it from both Jake and the Gorgodon creatures that seemed to be taking shelter there.

Jake continued into the cave that he had been drawn to, following his gut instinct to navigate the many tunnels,knowing that his gut instincts were guided by the force when he was open to it. He took a right then a left, and yet again another right, allowing the force to guide him. Then about thirty minutes later, he walked into a room where a shaft of light came down from the ceiling. In the middle of the chamber, a stalagmite rose up from the ground and at the tip, rested a rather large crystal. As he reached out and touched the crystal, he felt the force rush through him. He was able to see everything inside all of the tunnels he had passed, and all of the tunnels that had connected onto them as well. He then became aware of his master walking up the tunnel behind him. He didn't quite understand, he could have sworn that he had felt his old master's presence. He waited until his master came closer to the chamber before he revealed that he now knew that he had been followed. The crystal was very helpful in focusing the force, This would be a most valuable asset in the future. If this was the first contact he had with this crystal, then he can only imagine the potential from there. He planned to build another lightsaber, that would replace his current one as his primary saber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom