Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Return of the Emperor

mert-genccinar-seeker.jpg

The Acerbitas groaned to a halt as it left hyperspace - its sensors quickly beginning to come alive as Cybele looked for the signal on the tracking device left on Adeko’s lucrehulk. Its aging form was lost somewhere in the expansive nebula; yet through it all there was a soft beam of information heading towards the capital ship and once flagship of the One Sith.

Found it. In record time.”, Cybele said with an upwards inflection.

Maliphant coughed as he moved to stand, his eyes sunken from the sickness that ravaged his body. Swallowing, he looked towards the digital viewports - a round indicator forming and spinning at the location of the lucrehulk. The Sith Lord nodded as he spoke in a harsh, weak tone -

Record time, indeed.”, he said with a harsh cough.

Prepare the The Scarlet Will and the students Seki sent.

---

The custom MCR-125 found a docking port aboard the hulking mass with a heavy set thud, shaking all aboard - Maliphant himself forced to grab a nearby wall for support as his weakened muscles threatened to give out on him. He grit his teeth before donning his disguise, a force mask to hide the illness that had racked his body since his departure from the Nether.

It at least made him look normal, where he once looked closer to death than anyone was willing to tell him.

Sith apprentices rushed into the corridor before him, the light of their lightsabers illuminating the various corpses leftover from the previous visit. A few made idle chatter as Maliphant forced himself to stand tall and walk past them - knowing the exact path to the sleeping quarters of Darth Adekos.

Wait here.”, he said told those following him before stepping in and closing the door behind him.

Once inside, he moved his hand, and let the force activate whatever subsystem that let Adeko’s cryo chamber return to him.

[member="Darth Adekos"]

It had clearly been his personal chambers at one point, but now all the ornate furniture (original Umbaran shadow-wood, mind you!) was rotting and empty. More to the point, it all seemed to have been pushed abruptly to the walls to make space for a large cryo-stasis module. A coffin fit for a king, or a former businessman, or a former emperor, or a former triumvir, as it were. Adekos did not like to reflect on former titles. It made him feel weak. Ineffective. There were plenty of other things he could reflect on to solicit similar emotions. But more to the point, it disturbed his rest, made his sleep more fitful.

Not so fitful to wake him up, though. But it happened anyway as Maliphant triggered the thawing sequence. Cold steam was vented and, in record time, the doors to the pod split open. And there was @Darth Adekos – skin grey and cracked, hair a somewhat uncharacteristically short length, but otherwise the normal shock of white. A model Umbaran, even in his venerable age.

He furrowed his brow, eyes still shut. His arm made a stiff, cracking sound as he moved it so he could pinch the bridge of his nose. Adekos knew this man. His visitors were few enough that he would hardly forget the last time he'd shown up.

You again,” he said.

Adekos was about to tell him that he ejected the Gauntlet into the sun. Which was true, but given his luck he had probably missed and it was now in the hands of probably the worst person possible. But he sensed a different sort of motive among Darth Maliphant… And the gaggle of gawkers lurking outside his bedchamber. Was this going to be another attempted murder? No. There were better targets to pick by far if Maliphant were hoping to show off.

His eyes cracked open. An unnatural reddish brown hue, flecked with gold. “You don't look like you're here for tea. What do you want?

Do you even have tea on this wreck?”, he said with a quick cock of his brow.

Nevermind, not what I’m here for anyway - What I am here for is bringing you back to civilization, Adekos.”, he said with a noticeable glance around the rotting room. The luxury it once held was vaguely recognizable, but it had been years since anyone truly cared for this place - at the back of Maliphant’s mind, he wandered why the sleeping beauty that Adekos was didn’t just make cleaning droids to maintain everything.

More specifically, I need your mind, your knowledge. The galaxy is in a precarious place, and I intend to leverage that to our own interests.”, he said with a quick pause, as he rethought what he just said.

Well, my interests - but they can be yours too.”, Maliphant quipped, glancing back to Adekos.

I intend to refound the InterGalactic Banking Clan, Adekos. I want you on the board of directors.

[member="Darth Adekos"]

Adekos sniffed, stretching his neck while [member="Darth Maliphant"] spoke. There were a few popping sounds. Civilization. Yes, that could be nice. Adekos had come out here to die, but the great cosmic balance of the universe had failed to grant him death. Another failure to add to the list.

A cabal of Sith running a large corporation? How original,” Adekos muttered, wiping his nose with the back of his palm. “You understand this is pointless, don’t you? That nothing will ever change. That the money and the power won’t make either of us happy. Everything we build will fall apart, and no one will even remember us for it.

He grunted somewhat inelegantly as he gripped both sides of the cryo-pod and exited the device, gingerly lowering himself onto the cold ground. It would be some time before his limbs felt right again, but that was fine. Apparently it was just his mind and sunny disposition Maliphant was after.

That’d make him the first.

Surely you don’t intend for either of us to serve publicly. What exactly is your plan?

Proxies.”, he said with a furrowed brow, passing over the philosophical drivel Adekos had offered him. He knew it was true, but the reality of it wasn’t something he cared to accept - the Force drew them darker, and Sith were nothing but creatures of habit. The greatest habit of all was power mongering, it seemed, and Maliphant accepted it graciously.

Disguises. Force Masks, it doesn’t matter. Replicants, if you fancy such a venture.”, he said with a shrug before finding a seat on a nearby dark wood chair. It creaked under his weight, though Maliphant weighed far less than he actually looked - a subtle hint at this cancer. He glanced to Adekos and crossed his hands -

I plan on using what reserve of credits I have to start the Banking Clan, and buy out portions of large companies. Through a series of subsidiaries, business proxies, and public relations - it won’t matter if we’re on the council or not. Unless you fear people recognizing you.”, he said with a slight scratch on his cheek.

Once established, the Banking Clan will exert control through monetary schemes on the largest governments in the galaxy - first focusing on planets looking to develop property, and using pay scales they can’t afford to repossess planetary infrastructure across the galaxy.

He sighs, and leans back.

At least that's the plan. More specifically, I need you for your skills with robotics, artificial intelligence, and business. Cornering the technology market may not make us happy, but it will make us rich - and by proxy, closer to anything that will make us happy.

[member="Darth Adekos"]

Darth Adekos frowned.

[member="Darth Maliphant"] did not understand. Of course he didn't. This Sith was a young man yet. If he happened to make it as far as Adekos did, perhaps he would see in time. The uselessness, the banality of it all. The boulder rolled painstakingly up the hill only to fall all the way back down.

And yet Adekos was beginning to recall that he had never quite been so depressed, so pained, so utterly enervated while engaged in rolling the boulder up the hill. It was only when he stopped and reflected that it all set in, that he froze himself in a cryo-pod to escape it.

He had studied and tinkered for a while. His practical understanding of droids had eclipsed his use of Mechu-Deru quite some time ago. That had helped, for a time. Until he ran out of materials to study and experiments to run.

The cure, maybe, was to keep finding something to push. Maliphant now offered a sufficient, if somewhat familiar, boulder.

And what ultimate purpose do you hope to fulfill with this Banking Clan, for all the clouted power you hope to give it?

Where’s the fun in deciding now?”, Maliphant said with a mild coyness, reminiscent of his old ways. Yet in doing so, it pained him to force it - every nerve in his body fighting to grit and tighten, to be more annoyed he asked yet another question. It wasn’t his fault though, Maliphant was just in a constant pain despite it all.

In truth, a means to an end - whatever that end is. Power, pleasure, the monotony of a job that feels endless… Does it matter, Adekos? My reasons are my own, and I hope you can find your own, in time.

[member="Darth Adekos"]

The monotony of a job that felt endless. Naturally Darth Maliphant was privy to his innermost thoughts. Any reasonably skilled Force Sensitive would be. Adekos sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. He was too old and too tired to be engaging in this sort of behavior. It truly never ended, and not even hiding out here on the fringes of the Unknown Reasons, sealed in a cryo-pod, could keep him from his destiny.

So be it.

Adekos fixed [member="Darth Maliphant"] with a measuring stare, his mouth twitching slightly in preparation of a newer, deeper grimace. Not that it ever came to pass. His lightsaber, called through the Force, smashed through the rotten would of a nearby cabinet, snapping neatly into his hand. It felt cold and lifeless, but there was a warmth, however slight, to be found in its familiarity. Like seeing an old friend for the first time in many years.

Fine then,” Adekos said, an a wistful air of defeat to his voice. He fastened the lightsaber to his belt, giving it a satisfying pat. “Let us be on our way.

Good.”, Maliphant said with a grin as he slowly stood from the chair. It fell apart without his weight, and he glanced down to Adekos -

Have you ever been on the Acerbitas? It’ll take us back to Coruscant, where I have an apartment and so on already set for you.

The door slid open, though it offered a contemptuous screech at the effort. Before them stood another four Sith Acolytes and Knights watching carefully. Maliphant gave them a nod, and they slowly began to walk ahead of them as they spoke -

Do you have any requests, Adekos? I’m sure there is some simple fancy you’d like to experience once back to the core territories.

[member="Darth Adekos"]

Adekos offered a wary glance to the Sith disciples crowding his hallway as he passed them by. Backup, he imagined, in the event [member="Darth Maliphant"] found a feral madman. That would, fortunately enough, not come to pass.

But he snorted lightly at the Darth’s question. “I have not. And no, no requests for now.

A bed for the trip would be nice, but that probably did not need asking for. Acerbitas was a fancy name, and the ship was owned by a fancy man. Darth Adekos hardly imagined he would have to beg for comfortable living quarters.

There was much work to be done once he arrived on Coruscant. Dusty bank accounts to regain access to, mostly, and then contacts to reactivate. Healthy habits to put back into practice.

It made him tired just thinking about it.

The Acerbitas was after your time, I believe. Created by Dranok Lussk, I believe, during his tenor as Emperor.”, Maliphant said as they walked. He seemed to limp after their conversation was over, a passive nod to his attempt to seem stronger before the ex-Emperor than he actually was. An acolyte approached nearby and offered him a black iron cane covered in alchemized symbols.

Maliphant nodded to them quietly and took it, using it to support some of his weight as they loaded back onto the boarding craft and returned to the Acerbitas itself. The nebula clouded it at first, but when the debris was cleared it gave a perfect view of the five thousand meter behemoth, waiting in the void for the return of its Master and their new guest. With a twinkle of pride, Maliphant smiled at the sight of it, and glanced to Adekos -

You enjoy technology, I’m sure you’ll appreciate the design of it. I had much of it redesigned a few years prior, but have yet to truly update the AI more than it already is. Future plans, I suppose.”, he said with a slight cough, signed to his words as a signature to sickness.

The rear of the ship has a small academy, in some sense. Everything a Sith would need, from research to meditation, to luxury living quarters. You’ll be staying in one of the penthouses aboard, near mine. I’ve already instructed the Sith here -”, he said, motioning to those around them, “To follow your orders second to mine. They’re loyal, I’m sure you’ll find no issue with them, Adekos.

Maliphant sighed at this however, using the cane to lower himself into a nearby seat. It offered another support for him to lean, though he hardly looked comfortable - rhythmically tapping the head of the cane with a Corsuca Gem ring.

Do you have any other concerns, Adekos? Updates on the state of the Galaxy?

[member="Darth Adekos"]

After his time. The Umbaran scoffed openly. “I imagine most things are at this point.

The rate at which new ships were developed and launched never ceased to amaze him. Even when he had been paying attention, the rate at which they were fabricated seemed unnecessary. Adekos could scarcely fathom how many more had come since then.

This one, at least, looked impressive. Perhaps not as economically efficient as a Lucrehulk, but you couldn’t have everything.

Adekos settled himself into one of the seats with a certain stiffness that could have been attributed as easily to rapid and repeated carbon freezing as general decrepitude. And again, looked warily at the assembled Sith, even as they doted on their ailing superior.

He, again, eyed the assembled Sith warily as [member="Darth Maliphant"] gestured to them. Adekos had no desire to make use of another Sith’s servants, especially one belonging to a variable as unknown as Maliphant.

I’ll keep that in mind,” he said. “As for updates, holonet access will suffice. The rest can be left to me.

Holonet access will be yours, then.”, he said with a smile, albeit forced.

Adekos didn’t hide his emotions well, though Maliphant hardly expected him to simply trust him outright. Sith were smart creatures, perhaps not in understanding Jedi, or even common men - but they were good at understanding Sith. Considering Maliphant was no less strange than them both breathing here and now - and yet, the dark side made even that an oddity to some. In truth, Maliphant would have been more concerned if Adekos seemed to trust him - it’d imply he had something up his sleeve.

Jurin and Kai will be your personal guards - I didn’t notice your gauntlet’s presence when I was on the ship, and nor have I heard many… notable things about your dueling prowess. Two Sith should give you ample time to prepare yourself, should the notorious Darth Adekos come under attack.”, Maliphant said with a very subtle grin.

When we return to Coruscant-”, he said as the pilot called something out to one of the Sith, “- We will need to meet with Arken Lussk. He’s the son of Drannok, I hope that won’t be an issue.

As he finished, the harsh sounds of metal moving and pistons pressing hit the air - vibrating through the superstructure of the vessel before coming to a rolling halt. A sign, it would seem, of their arrival in the oversized hanger bay dedicated to transport vessels and the like of the Acerbitas. Maliphant forced himself to stand with a quiet groan and motioned them off the ship - and the Acolytes listened with nigh a word to their credit.

Jurin, Kai -”, Maliphant said motioning to a young male with a hefty scar over the left side of his face, and a beautiful girl who’s eyes seemed more like a corpse than a persons, “You will show Adekos to his room.

His gaze fell on Adekos again -

After you’re settled, feel free to visit me. I’m sure we’ll have catching up to do - but take your time. There will be much on the Holonet I’m sure you’ll be interested in discussing.

With that, Maliphant strode away, with a retinue of Sith behind him. His cane marked a rhythmic departure before he was gone, and only then did the other two Sith guard dogs look to Adekos. The woman, young as she was, offered him a tone more robot than human, an almost unnatural monotony to her voice -

Shall we show you to your room, Dark Lord?

[member="Darth Adekos"]

Lussk had been an impudent Grand Admiral, if he recalled correctly. Darth Adekos could hardly imagine why dealing with such a person’s progeny would be an issue. Unless they happened to be as impudent as their parent. While that was likely, Adekos had not exactly been averse to dealing with the rude and impolite in the past.

Or now, seeing as [member="Darth Maliphant"] passively insulted him. Adekos only exhaled sharply through the nose, some semblance of a laugh. He had heard it all before. It was nothing new, and no less disparaging, but he had become acclimated to it. It was like throwing rocks at a battle droid.

Of course,” Adekos said, as Maliphant abandoned him to the maimed man and a dead-eyed woman.

He listened to the clattering of that cane. Quite fancy. Maybe he ought to make himself one. Hide his lightsaber in it. Yes, that could be an amusing project.

His attention turned to the maimed man and the dead-eyed woman with a voice like an accounting droid. What a positively charming pair. He hoped they would find love in one another yet.

Lead on,” he drawled, and gestured them to do so.

Dark Lord. What a silly title to use.

And so they did.

The halls were long, sweeping to a point, with a cleanliness unlike much he had likely seen in the last years aboard the Lucrehulk. South Star Class Battle Droids wandered the halls armed to the teeth with Jaeger brand equipment, and between them were corporate security officers, engineers, crew members, and the occasional astromech. It was a ship working on the back of ten thousand men’s experience, and the very nature of the vessel seemed to express it. At least, it was until they reached further into this ‘academy’ Maliphant had toted.

Two double doors marked with ancient sith marking around it gave a clue to what lay behind. They opened, not mechanically, but on the effort of Kai - the droid voiced she-Sith that had said little and less as they got closer. Past this imposing door was far darker halls, a semblance of Sith aesthetic that had been lost on the rest of the vessel. Artifacts, busts of Sith Lords from around the galaxy, and rooms surrounded them - each with a group or individual Sith working on their techniques.

As they passed a few of the busts into the more private section of the Academy, Adekos may even notice the bust of him. It did his features well, but nobody can commented informing it was there - nor did anyone dust it in some time. Just as quickly as it was noticed, Jurin would move past and motion to a single large door -

This will be your room, Sir.”, he offered. As soon as he had, the door opened and they were greeted to the inside - a luxurious, two story apartment with all one could need. It stood in the conventional sith aesthetic, with a greyish run of most primary and secondary colors, while red accented much else. It had seemed specially prepared for Adekos, as a number of things seemed only recently put in the room - notably, the various benches with electronics, robotic pieces, and articles of design from the more recent years since his hibernation.

Now Kai spoke up -

There is a washroom upstairs, with a sonic or water shower. You’re free to use it at your own discretion.”, yet she seemed to imply something.

Would you have us wait in the room, outside, or wait on your call, Dark Lord?”, she had asked once again.

[member="Darth Adekos"]

Strange. Adekos was used to being the authority on his own space-faring vessels. Being surrounded by so many combat personnel on the payroll of another was… Disquieting, to say the least. He looked forward to disembarking.

Busts of Sith lined the halls deeper into the vessel, and of course Darth Adekos noticed his own – relegated to some dusty corner of the ship, caked with cobwebs. He was, perhaps, too surprised to take insult from its remote location or state of disrepair. If there was a bust of him here, what other stunted nobodies had their visages cast in metal and propped up on this ship?

Seemed like a waste of good metal.

The apartment was, at least, quite nice. More than sensible, but not gaudy. “Thank you.

The woman, Kai, commented on the presence of a washroom and shower. Another insult for the pile. Didn’t anyone in this universe get tired of bothering him? He only rolled his eyes, already wandering further into the room. “Go about your business,” he said, dismissively, waving them out. “I’ve no need for hangers-on quite yet.

Once they were gone, Adekos walked briskly up the stairs, heading immediately for the washroom.

When all was said and done, Jurin and Kai returned - some hours later - to summon Darth Adekos. The door slid open after they announced their presence, and they as usual the monotony of Kai’s tone came forth -

If you’re ready, Darth Maliphant will see you now.”, she said. There was a choice, certainly - but something in her already hard to dissect tone implied it wasn’t so easy to say no.

Motioning Adekos forth, the group moved down the hallway to a doorway marked with the symbol of Exar Kun above it. The doors slid open gracefully, and within was the personal quarters of Darth Maliphant - a proverbial mansion within the confines of the ship. A balcony overlooked the area, various rooms could be seen further back with dedicated areas for business, alchemy, and even a mediation chamber could all be seen in some capacity.

Maliphant himself walked out of the meditation chamber wearing more casual attire, and he moved with some renewed vigor -

I hope you saw plenty on your adventures through the holonet, Adekos.”, he said idly before finding himself a seat. Kai and Jurin found a place not far, taking a seat and watching the two converse.

See anything of particular note?

[member="Darth Adekos"]

It felt like only an instant had passed between being left to his own devices and his glorious, stalwart security escort summoning him back to [member="Darth Maliphant"]. Yes, that was usually how it went. He emerged from what passed for a study in the pseudo-apartment, now fresh as a spring daisy. If spring daisies were in advanced stages of Dark Side corruption, anyway.

He did not, altogether, look terribly pleased by this intrusion, but he was beyond complaining. Adekos was, after all, a mere guest on this vessel. “Very well then.

The walk to Maliphant’s chamber passed in silence, save for the occasional cough from Adekos. Cryo-stasis always did a number on the lungs, synthetic or not. The way was marked by the symbol of Exar Kun, an etching which he recognized, if did not feel particularly impressed by.

Here was a large, ostentatious apartment, at any rate. Adekos took an offered seat, crossing his arms as he leaned back into the cushions.

Naturally,” Adekos dryly replied. “There is an opportunity on 244Core I will leave to pursue once our business with Lussk is concluded. Otherwise, no.

There were some new governments in place. Some old ones had been toppled. Too many names were the same for it to be considered noteworthy. But the Sith now occupied Mandalore, having turned it into their own little labor camp. There was a time where he would have felt immense satisfaction at the humiliation of the Mandalorian savages.

Now he felt nothing. Except pity. Or was it exhaustion? The very concept of having to deal with such an arrangement was itself draining.

Tell me more.”, Maliphant motioned to him as he crossed his legs.

Kai stood without words, likely from a command given to her through The Force or simply good obedience training, and proceeded to make the two a pot of tea. It took her only a moment, raising the heat with her hand and coming back, pouring a glass for each and then returning. Maliphant smiled to her, nodded, but never said a word - lest he interrupt Adeko’s incredible explanation of 244Core and the business he had found there.

When he was done, Maliphant would speak once more -

-On the topic of Sith, what did you think of them?”, he asked with a touch of intent.

I was the Governor of Bastion for some time - though I think that position may be lost on me after my small vacation.”, he chuckled.

Tell me, Adekos - do the politics of Sith intrigue you anymore?

[member="Darth Adekos"]

Yes, he supposed he should have expected to be questioned further. Adekos shifted in his seat, attempting to find a comfortable position. He still appeared rather tired, enough so that he seemed unconcerned with looking otherwise.

A beleaguered warlord, former First Order. Holding fast to an important city, but he’ll need some…” he trailed off, then gestured dismissively. “Guidance, I suppose I should say. To be polite.

And from there it was a short path to consolidating power for himself. But that went without saying.

He frowned, as usual, at the mention of Sith politics. He had spent enough time to catch up on the existence of the current Empire, and those leading it. Nothing too impressive, and everything far too murderous, wretched. Depraved.

No, I cannot say they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom